2013-2014 Morehouse University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Good luck everyone! I am starting here in a few weeks! Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application process. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thinking of applying here.. Is there an instate preference? I know they're a private, but I know GA schools can be quirky like that

Yes there is an in state preference. Not sure how strong but I was told yes.

Yes strong instate preference. MSAR has instate acceptance as 70%

Good luck everyone! I am starting here in a few weeks! Feel free to ask me any questions regarding the application process. :D

Hello, I live in GA and i'm looking to apply to morehouse, i live just 10 minutes from the school of medicine

Submitted primary 06/13/13..... Now the wait begins :cool:

Good Luck everyone!

Hey 1LuckyCookie4, Congrats on getting accepted. I have a question. When presenting yourself as an applicant, how did you set forth (or highlight) your motivational influences for wanting to attend MSM. Did you talk about community involvement or did you stick with any other angle? I am just looking for the best possible route to highlight myself as a great candidate.

MSM's mission is centered around serving the under served community. So in my activities section on my amcas app as well as when I went for interview I really tried to highlight those activities that fit their mission. From the leadership roles I had in student organizations, to community service I did, I really tried to show how as a student I would continue the goals of the school. I talked about, as well as demonstrated through my previous activites how I wanted to continue working in that community and so their school would be a great fit for me.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

MSM's mission is centered around serving the under served community. So in my activities section on my amcas app as well as when I went for interview I really tried to highlight those activities that fit their mission. From the leadership roles I had in student organizations, to community service I did, I really tried to show how as a student I would continue the goals of the school. I talked about, as well as demonstrated through my previous activites how I wanted to continue working in that community and so their school would be a great fit for me.

Thanks for the advice. I guess, I am just going to have to WOW on my secondary and really push underserved community health.

I has anyone that submitted their AMCAS application been verified yet? I submitted mine on 6/26 and I am a bit anxious lol

Were you a first time applicant or had you previously applied to MSM? And, What were your stats, not to get to personal so you dont have to be specific but would you be considered a underdog applicant or were your MCAT and GPA pretty solid?

Members don't see this ad :)
I has anyone that submitted their AMCAS application been verified yet? I submitted mine on 6/26 and I am a bit anxious lol

I've been completed since 6/13 and still nothing from MSM yet.

Hi everyone! I've been stalking SD forums for awhile and decided to join lol I'm also applying to Morehouse and submitted my primary not to long ago. I've been verified since 7/22, so just waiting on Morehouse! Good luck to everyone this cycle :)

When you go to the AMCAS login page it will tell you what submission day they are currently verifying. Just for reference, I was ready for review on 6/20 and got the verified e-mail yesterday.

Just got an email verification they received my AMCAS and are now processing it.

Got an email saying they will begin processing my application. Kind of strange that there were typos in the email...

Has anyone received a secondary yet?

I haven't heard anything besides the two emails I've gotten about how they are still processing my app.

When you go to the AMCAS login page it will tell you what submission day they are currently verifying. Just for reference, I was ready for review on 6/20 and got the verified e-mail yesterday.

Thanks for the info unfortunately the website isn't very accurate I was verified 8/2 but from the sites information I was not even ready for review based on the date that I submitted.. Nonetheless I'm glad and ready for secondaries!

Last edited:
What's your story?? Are you a first time applicant, underdog, fresh out of college, non traditional applicant, career changer, GA native, out of state applicant??

I am somewhat of a nontraditional applicant graduate a couple of years ago, did a post bacc and completed a masters, yet still I'm a underdog because my stats before my post bacc and masters are NO BUENO lol, second time applying (1st attempt was a long shot & merely an opportunity to get my feet wet), GA native and hoping for a success application cycle! Best wishes to everyone applying this year!

Last edited:
What's your story?? Are you a first time applicant, underdog, fresh out of college, non traditional applicant, career changer, GA native, out of state applicant??

I am somewhat of a nontraditional applicant graduate a couple of years ago, did a post bacc and completed a masters, yet still I'm a underdog because my stats before my post bacc and masters are NO BUENO lol, second time applying (1st attempt was a long shot & merely an opportunity to get my feet wet), GA native and hoping for a success application cycle! Best wishes to everyone applying this year!

Probably like most, I'm a traditional applicant. While my MCAT score isn't as great as a 30s, I'm hoping my GPA, ECs,and LORs will make up for the lack of score. GA native here, which is why I'm applying early decision. Love MSM and what they stand for in helping the undeserved. Also, the small classes and family like atmosphere is a huge plus for me. Best of luck to everyone, and hope we all can be a med student in MSM in 2014!

Just received my secondary! Has anyone received there's yet?

Can you post the prompt(s) please? I don't think regular decision applicants are receiving the secondary yet.

Can you post the prompt(s) please? I don't think regular decision applicants are receiving the secondary yet.

Type a statement setting forth the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to Morehouse and any information about yourself you feel would be of interest to the Committee on Admission in the consideration of your application. Please keep the response to about one page. (You may want to type your answer in a Word Processor while you are off-line and paste your response here)

Sounds like its the same as last year's. There is also a section where you have to choose if you want to get into primary care, speciality care, or undecided; as well as where you would like to practice (hospital, private practice, ect), if you like to practice in big cities, small cities, reservations, ect; and the percentage of time of you will spend on patient care, administration, teaching, and research. Then after you choose, you will have to explain why you chose them.

Hope that is enough detail for everyone!

Still waiting on the secondary.

Are you a Regular decision application? If you are, thats probably why you haven't received yours yet. Just continue to be patient, and it'll be here before you know it!

Sorry for the late reply! I was a first time applicant and i dont like comparing stats but i will say my stats were fairly strong. Morehouse was my number 1 and I chose them out of the other schools I was accepted to.

Good luck everyone! Try to not let the app process get to you too much. Enjoy the interview trail. I def met some cool ppl at the schools I interviewed at. Just keep your head strong and everything will work out for the best. I was in your shoes just last year so I know the anxiety can be crazy but med school anxiety can be way worse so try to learn how to woosah now. :)

Last edited:
Got an email early this morning basically saying they are reviewing my application for a possible interview invite, and results from the review will be sent through the mail. I know in the past they called, sent an email, and sent through USPS if you were invited, but are they doing away with the calling and just sending results through the mail? It just sounds werid to me, since I know for sure they called prospective students through the phone last year. What does everyone else think?

Got an email early this morning basically saying they are reviewing my application for a possible interview invite, and results from the review will be sent through the mail. I know in the past they called, sent an email, and sent through USPS if you were invited, but are they doing away with the calling and just sending results through the mail? It just sounds werid to me, since I know for sure they called prospective students through the phone last year. What does everyone else think?

I think they will notify us by phone, but the other methods are for confirmation. On the other hand, I'm not apart of the adcom and things can change every year. As for the picture form, I checked and last year I was able to email it. Snail mail is my pet peeve.

Received my secondary but having second thoughts on whether I should submit it. Money tight and I know MSM has a preference for in state so I don't know if I should submit.

I think the chart said 86% of accepted were OOS last year.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Received my secondary but having second thoughts on whether I should submit it. Money tight and I know MSM has a preference for in state so I don't know if I should submit.

You should still apply! You shouldn't let the in-state preference deter you, because they do have a lot of OOS students. If you have strong interest in this school, just fill it out, turn it in, and you'll probably get results you never imagined! It always helps to be positive, even though its hard sometimes (I know I have the same problem).

:confused: so here is my story , i just finished my undergrad BS program in 3 years (which normally takes 5 years) and i have a horrible GPA 3.0< X < 3.25. my grades were low because my grandmother ( she raised me by herself) passed away right before i started college and took on a heavy course loads to avoid grieving which made me sink into a deep depression. i did not work at my full potential through the majority of college and im now beating my self up for it. i wasn't able to seek help for my depression until my last year in college because my "family" does not believe in mental health problems and i did not have health insurance and would need to be pregnant or have dependents to qualify for medicaid :mad:. my grade had a drastic upward trend during my senior year ( i even ruined the curve in my physics class ending with a 102 ... A+). im happy with my improvement but its was too late to save my GPA.
fun facts about me :

i completed 32 college credit hours doing joint enrollment in high school ( i had a 3.7 college gpa during high school until i dropped the ball and got a D in calculus when losing my Ma started to hit me and i lost focus and had to start the first day of my freshman year with a 3.4 gpa)

ive been on medical missions to third world countries since i was 17 , one to Haiti a week after the earthquake and while on the mission i had the chance to "save a baby's life on my 18th birthday :love: . ( the local news paper even did a story on me )

i work as an emergency department medical scribe so im pretty sure that counts as clinical experience:laugh:

my mentor who trains me on the medical missions is a retired MSM professor , and I have been involved in her nonprofit org since i was 16

I was part of my schools international genetically engineered machinery research team.

I just completed 900 volunteer service hours with americorps as a assist math & science instructor in the urban and under-served schools of greater ATL

I am a first generation college grad and American, black, and my family has always been broke:laugh:.

i am willing to donate my medical services to under-served areas because i grew up and still living in these under-served areas , and i know how hard it is and i will never forget where i came from.

I cant afford to do post bac and only place i want to really go is MSM. but my GPA is craps and i just took my MCAT on AUG 15th and i dont think i did any better that a 26 because i worked 40 hours a week and volunteer with americorps 20 hours a week and took 11 credit hours this summer while studying for MCAT ( so basically i didnt study)......

do i have a chance ???? should i submit my primary (yes i haven't even sent my app in) ???? im so stressed in my early 20's with GERD :laugh:

You'll get in. You have a great (albeit sad) back story and amazing extracurricular activities. No doubt about it.