2013-2014 Morehouse University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You'll get in. You have a great (albeit sad) back story and amazing extracurricular activities. No doubt about it.

A 3.1/26 this late in the cycle is not remotely a sure thing. I'm all for swinging for the fences but understand how far the fence is from the plate. You can get in somewhere mdordietrying, but it may be next cycle and it may be a DO school. My gpa is on par with yours and although my mcat was higher my ec's are not nearly as good...getting plenty of DO love but I applied the day the apps opened. If you have the cash, go ahead and apply but I'd really suggest throwing in some DO schools.

Members don't see this ad.

:confused: so here is my story , i just finished my undergrad BS program in 3 years (which normally takes 5 years) and i have a horrible GPA 3.0< X < 3.25. my grades were low because my grandmother ( she raised me by herself) passed away right before i started college and took on a heavy course loads to avoid grieving which made me sink into a deep depression. i did not work at my full potential through the majority of college and im now beating my self up for it. i wasn't able to seek help for my depression until my last year in college because my "family" does not believe in mental health problems and i did not have health insurance and would need to be pregnant or have dependents to qualify for medicaid :mad:. my grade had a drastic upward trend during my senior year ( i even ruined the curve in my physics class ending with a 102 ... A+). im happy with my improvement but its was too late to save my GPA.
fun facts about me :

i completed 32 college credit hours doing joint enrollment in high school ( i had a 3.7 college gpa during high school until i dropped the ball and got a D in calculus when losing my Ma started to hit me and i lost focus and had to start the first day of my freshman year with a 3.4 gpa)

ive been on medical missions to third world countries since i was 17 , one to Haiti a week after the earthquake and while on the mission i had the chance to "save a baby's life on my 18th birthday :love: . ( the local news paper even did a story on me http://issuu.com/crossroadsnews/docs/mar0610

i work as an emergency department medical scribe so im pretty sure that counts as clinical experience:laugh:

my mentor who trains me on the medical missions is a retired MSM professor , and I have been involved in her nonprofit org since i was 16

I was part of my schools international genetically engineered machinery research team.

I just completed 900 volunteer service hours with americorps as a assist math & science instructor in the urban and under-served schools of greater ATL

I am a first generation college grad and American, black, and my family has always been broke:laugh:.

i am willing to donate my medical services to under-served areas because i grew up and still living in these under-served areas , and i know how hard it is and i will never forget where i came from.

I cant afford to do post bac and only place i want to really go is MSM. but my GPA is craps and i just took my MCAT on AUG 15th and i dont think i did any better that a 26 because i worked 40 hours a week and volunteer with americorps 20 hours a week and took 11 credit hours this summer while studying for MCAT ( so basically i didnt study)......

do i have a chance ???? should i submit my primary (yes i haven't even sent my app in) ???? im so stressed in my early 20's with GERD :laugh:

Omgoodness your ECs are amazing! Makes me look terrible :p I honestly think you should apply. GPA and MCAT ( imo) only mean so much. From what I was told about MSM, stats aren't everything. If you have the passion and the drive to become a doctor, and they see that, then you should be good. Obviously I don't know you in person, and I can definitely see how much passion you have for the medical field! You have plenty to talk about for your primary and a secondary! And if you get an interview, I can see you'll outshine most applicants. Go ahead and apply, because we can't make an impact in this world without taking a giant leap first :)

Hey everyone! I had received a phone call from Morehouse about a few hours ago. I was defer to the Regular Decision pile, because they didn't have enough applicants to participate in the Early Decision Program (originally thought it was because I didn't fit their criteria). Even better news from Mr. Hunter, apparently the AdCom really likes me and thinks highly of me (wonder if he was over exaggerating), and they are placing me in the possible stack of interviews. Also, it looks likes I'll be pulled to be in the first group to be interview in mid/late September. So cross your fingers and pray I continue to get good news. :D

I wonder how everyone is doing on their application process. Any call backs/ emails?

Members don't see this ad :)
your a shoe in ;-) , ive noticed that whenever MSM takes the time out to tell you they love you it is Legit ! :xf: :xf::xf::xf:
Hey everyone! I had received a phone call from Morehouse about a few hours ago. I was defer to the Regular Decision pile, because they didn't have enough applicants to participate in the Early Decision Program (originally thought it was because I didn't fit their criteria). Even better news from Mr. Hunter, apparently the AdCom really likes me and thinks highly of me (wonder if he was over exaggerating), and they are placing me in the possible stack of interviews. Also, it looks likes I'll be pulled to be in the first group to be interview in mid/late September. So cross your fingers and pray I continue to get good news. :D

I wonder how everyone is doing on their application process. Any call backs/ emails?

A 3.1/26 this late in the cycle is not remotely a sure thing. I'm all for swinging for the fences but understand how far the fence is from the plate. You can get in somewhere mdordietrying, but it may be next cycle and it may be a DO school. My gpa is on par with yours and although my mcat was higher my ec's are not nearly as good...getting plenty of DO love but I applied the day the apps opened. If you have the cash, go ahead and apply but I'd really suggest throwing in some DO schools.

Morehouse just opened their secondary, she isn't late at all. She will certainly get in.

i appreciate everyone's response , and I respect and value the fact that everyone has an opinion... that's why i opened up to you guys, but please share your views and opinions but don't be little or question others opinions....;)

I'm all for encouragement but the word "certainly" has a definition that does not apply here

I agree with sb247 because that applies to ALL of us. NOTHING is certain in this process. And yes the Morehouse secondary just opened, but she hasn't turned in her PRIMARY app yet and Morehouse only has 60 seats (I believe). Who knows how many will be filled by the time her file becomes complete? And who knows how many people they may find more qualified than her? No one. Does she have a chance? Yes. But no one can say for sure how great or how small of a chance because this is all one big roll of the die.

:confused: so here is my story , i just finished my undergrad BS program in 3 years (which normally takes 5 years) and i have a horrible GPA 3.0< X < 3.25. my grades were low because my grandmother ( she raised me by herself) passed away right before i started college and took on a heavy course loads to avoid grieving which made me sink into a deep depression. i did not work at my full potential through the majority of college and im now beating my self up for it. i wasn't able to seek help for my depression until my last year in college because my "family" does not believe in mental health problems and i did not have health insurance and would need to be pregnant or have dependents to qualify for medicaid :mad:. my grade had a drastic upward trend during my senior year ( i even ruined the curve in my physics class ending with a 102 ... A+). im happy with my improvement but its was too late to save my GPA.
fun facts about me :

i completed 32 college credit hours doing joint enrollment in high school ( i had a 3.7 college gpa during high school until i dropped the ball and got a D in calculus when losing my Ma started to hit me and i lost focus and had to start the first day of my freshman year with a 3.4 gpa)

ive been on medical missions to third world countries since i was 17 , one to Haiti a week after the earthquake and while on the mission i had the chance to "save a baby's life on my 18th birthday :love: . ( the local news paper even did a story on me http://issuu.com/crossroadsnews/docs/mar0610

i work as an emergency department medical scribe so im pretty sure that counts as clinical experience:laugh:

my mentor who trains me on the medical missions is a retired MSM professor , and I have been involved in her nonprofit org since i was 16

I was part of my schools international genetically engineered machinery research team.

I just completed 900 volunteer service hours with americorps as a assist math & science instructor in the urban and under-served schools of greater ATL

I am a first generation college grad and American, black, and my family has always been broke:laugh:.

i am willing to donate my medical services to under-served areas because i grew up and still living in these under-served areas , and i know how hard it is and i will never forget where i came from.

I cant afford to do post bac and only place i want to really go is MSM. but my GPA is craps and i just took my MCAT on AUG 15th and i dont think i did any better that a 26 because i worked 40 hours a week and volunteer with americorps 20 hours a week and took 11 credit hours this summer while studying for MCAT ( so basically i didnt study)......

do i have a chance ???? should i submit my primary (yes i haven't even sent my app in) ???? im so stressed in my early 20's with GERD :laugh:

Do not be discouraged by your GPA, it you might doubt this but its higher than plenty of other applicants. You have amazing ECs and a real story. I know several present and past MSM students and after speaking with the admissions office its clear they really look for a well rounded students and scores may not be the top deciding factor. APPLY do not be discouraged, you never know!

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving let your request be made known to God" Philippians 4:6

I am not familiar with how EDP works, so if they do not have enough applicants that apply EDP and they roll you over to the regular application pool does that mean you can now submit applications to other schools?

But that is wonderful, the fact that he called you speaks volumes, let us know how your interview goes!!! :D

How did you guys insert a picture in the Picture Form?

I am not familiar with how EDP works, so if they do not have enough applicants that apply EDP and they roll you over to the regular application pool does that mean you can now submit applications to other schools?

But that is wonderful, the fact that he called you speaks volumes, let us know how your interview goes!!! :D

I can apply to other schools, but I more and likely won't. I know stupid decision, but I don't have the money, and Morehouse is where I want to go. If I don't get in, I'll just retake my MCAT and continue to work on my ECs! And I will definately let everyone know how the interview goes, if I get one lol

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you guys insert a picture in the Picture Form?

If you're trying to e-mail it, I would guess that you would attach the picture to the email with the form. I sent mine through the mail, so I just took a picture, cut it to the size it needed to be, and taped it ;) Just seemed easier then trying to figure out the proper protocol to send it through the email lol

If you're trying to e-mail it, I would guess that you would attach the picture to the email with the form. I sent mine through the mail, so I just took a picture, cut it to the size it needed to be, and taped it ;) Just seemed easier then trying to figure out the proper protocol to send it through the email lol

I'm planning to mail it too because the instructions said so lol

But yeah I was wondering if I should tape a pic or

Or superimpose the picture on the form and them print that lol

It's so weird that they couldn't just ask to upload a pic..

Thanks for the response :)

so do we have to have three LOR from faculty or is it okay if we have two from faculty and one from a physician we shadowed? I really hope I don't need to find another professor to write me a letter this late in the cycle

so do we have to have three LOR from faculty or is it okay if we have two from faculty and one from a physician we shadowed? I really hope I don't need to find another professor to write me a letter this late in the cycle

If you have a pre-med committee, you just have to get the committee to write one letter. If you don't three letters of rec from faculty members I think. I'm sure if you called to ask they'll give an answer lol

I'm an URM and reside in NY and really want to attend an HBC. My GPAs are 3.38/3.3 and my MCAT is a 14 (taken in 2011). I'm currently signed for the Sept 11th MCAT and I'm extremely apprehensive about taking it. I feel my ECs and LOR are great and I've already been verified since July. Earlier today, I was feeling a bit discouraged and hesitant about applying this cycle, but after reading the comments on this thread, I feel a bit more optimistic about my chances! So thanks? lol

I know the feeling of being discourage. I almost didn't even apply this cycle, but I decided if I didn't, it would've killed me inside. I'm glad you were able to take a giant step and went ahead and applied! Good luck on your MCAT, I'll be rooting for you! :)

I'm an URM and reside in NY and really want to attend an HBC. My GPAs are 3.38/3.3 and my MCAT is a 14 (taken in 2011). I'm currently signed for the Sept 11th MCAT and I'm extremely apprehensive about taking it. I feel my ECs and LOR are great and I've already been verified since July. Earlier today, I was feeling a bit discouraged and hesitant about applying this cycle, but after reading the comments on this thread, I feel a bit more optimistic about my chances! So thanks? lol

I know the feeling of being discourage. I almost didn't even apply this cycle, but I decided if I didn't, it would've killed me inside. I'm glad you were able to take a giant step and went ahead and applied! Good luck on your MCAT, I'll be rooting for you! :)

Aww thanks I appreciate the encouragement! Good luck with your application, I'm sure you'll get in! :)

I call admissions and they said you can substitute a letter from a physician for one of the faculty letters if anyone else was wondering

Congrats guys!! Does Morehouse send an email when you're complete? Around when did you all submit the secondary?

Thanks very much! Got the secondary on 8/20 and submitted same day; complete e-mail 8/22

Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I got a called yesterday telling me that they want to interview me, however there was a problem with my LORs -_- Apparently, the format my pre-med committee sent their letter wasn't exactly the right format. So, it was counted as in individual letter. Now, I have to find another professor to write me another letter. I know its an easy fix; its just slightly annoying how last minute they shared this problem with me, when I know for sure they reviewed my file for EDP.

Last edited:
Congrats to everyone who received an interview! I got a called yesterday telling me that they want to interview me, however there was a problem with my LORs -_- Apparently, the format my pre-med committee sent their letter wasn't exactly the right format. So, it was counted as in individual letter. Now, I have to find another professor to write me another letter. I know its an easy fix; its just slightly annoying how last minute they shared this problem with me, when I know for sure they reviewed my file for EDP.

I understand your frustration. As long as you have the interview, that's all that matters. You're one step away from an acceptance :)

I might be if my LORs are sent within the next few days (I having two LORs being sent just in case). Mr. Hunter told me that my LORs can be sent directly to him via email to speed up the process. I can understand why they didn't out right give me an interview day; they're just trying to be fair and make sure everyone else has an equal chance. Wouldn't be fair to those if I accepted an interview day when my application isn't technically complete lol. If I am on 10/4, then I will most definitely see you there!

Oh yea - Congrats!!!! Are you on 10/4 too?

Godlovesyou, are you a florida resident? seen you around the FL threads!

Can any current students comment on the curriculum? I thought it was 100% lecture but the website is saying there's now small group learning involved. Has the curriculum changed? What is a typical day like in the preclinical years?

I called Mr. Hunter today to see if my application was straighten out and got the good news that my interview is scheduled for September 27 at 10am! I'm super excited for this opportunity! It seems so surreal that I'm finally at this final step to be accepted, when only four years ago I was a senior in high school dreaming about the day when I could apply to med school. I wish everyone luck on their interviews and hope for the best!

See? It all worked out! And it's even earlier than you expected! Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I called Mr. Hunter today to see if my application was straighten out and got the good news that my interview is scheduled for September 27 at 10am! I'm super excited for this opportunity! It seems so surreal that I'm finally at this final step to be accepted, when only four years ago I was a senior in high school dreaming about the day when I could apply to med school. I wish everyone luck on their interviews and hope for the best!

Congratulations! Exactly how I felt when I got my interview.

curriculum is above 90% lecture. You have some group stuff that started this semester, but it is REALLY laid back. Like you can just review the material or disease being discussed the morning of the session and as long as you talk you will do fine. First part of school is Basic Principles and its straight up lecture and tests. Second part, which started in September is Lecture, Gross Anatomy Lab, clinical Preceptorship (shadow a doctor and learn from him), community health(help in the community in your assigned group or area...). ALl in all, the schedule is nothing that cannot be handled. I have plenty of time to do outside stuff and enjoy myself. First year is nice, but I heard second year is very tough. This school is very underrated and makes very fine physicians. They dont care about grades as much as they care about the person. They have a reputation of accepting people with low MCAT's, which supposedly predicts how you will do in your USMLE and those same people with low MCAT or grades will do above average in their Step1. By the way, this years class (2017) has 70 people. There are talks of increasing the class size by 10 every year until it reaches 100. Many students don't want a class size increase because there is already limited space. If I was you guys (everybody, whether you have bad grades, low MCAT, whatever) to apply. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain. The interview is SUPER laid back. It is like a conversation. Just make sure that you know ALL the info that you wrote on your AMCAS application. Remember, when I say the interview is laid back, I mean it is very laid back. Remember that this school is focused on serving or helping the undeserved communities, Good luck guys.

Reactions: 1 user
curriculum is above 90% lecture. You have some group stuff that started this semester, but it is REALLY laid back. Like you can just review the material or disease being discussed the morning of the session and as long as you talk you will do fine. First part of school is Basic Principles and its straight up lecture and tests. Second part, which started in September is Lecture, Gross Anatomy Lab, clinical Preceptorship (shadow a doctor and learn from him), community health(help in the community in your assigned group or area...). ALl in all, the schedule is nothing that cannot be handled. I have plenty of time to do outside stuff and enjoy myself. First year is nice, but I heard second year is very tough. This school is very underrated and makes very fine physicians. They dont care about grades as much as they care about the person. They have a reputation of accepting people with low MCAT's, which supposedly predicts how you will do in your USMLE and those same people with low MCAT or grades will do above average in their Step1. By the way, this years class (2017) has 70 people. There are talks of increasing the class size by 10 every year until it reaches 100. Many students don't want a class size increase because there is already limited space. If I was you guys (everybody, whether you have bad grades, low MCAT, whatever) to apply. You got nothing to lose and everything to gain. The interview is SUPER laid back. It is like a conversation. Just make sure that you know ALL the info that you wrote on your AMCAS application. Remember, when I say the interview is laid back, I mean it is very laid back. Remember that this school is focused on serving or helping the undeserved communities, Good luck guys.

Thank you soooooo much! This was SUPER helpful!

Just received the Morehouse interview invitation letter which says to confirm the interview date by returning the enclosed confirmation post card...I didn't get a post card...just the letter. Anyone else? How did you all confirm the date?