2013-2014 Morehouse University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just got an interview here for 2/14. Speechless. I know the class size is small, is the class mostly full you guys think? The thing about this is my Number 1 choice is suppose to let me know on 2/15!

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview here for 2/14. Speechless. I know the class size is small, is the class mostly full you guys think? The thing about this is my Number 1 choice is suppose to let me know on 2/15!
Congrats! When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! A little confused about your last sentence--is Morehouse your number 1 or are you supposed to hear from another school on 2/15 that is your number 1?

Congrats! A little confused about your last sentence--is Morehouse your number 1 or are you supposed to hear from another school on 2/15 that is your number 1?
Suppose to hear from another school around 2/15 that is my number 1.

Suppose to hear from another school around 2/15 that is my number 1.
You can withdraw your interview to Morehouse after hearing back from your school (if you so choose). Either way, it's great news :). Best of luck to you!!

You can withdraw your interview to Morehouse after hearing back from your school (if you so choose). Either way, it's great news :). Best of luck to you!!

But the Morehouse interview is 2/14. I hear back from my number 1 on 2/15. I will most likely attend the morehouse interview anyway though.

But the Morehouse interview is 2/14. I hear back from my number 1 on 2/15. I will most likely attend the morehouse interview anyway though.
Oh, duh! Lol sorry about that.

Does anybody know these things about Morehouse

Attendance policy?
dress code?
recorded lectures?

Where do 3rd and 4th years do their rotations?

Following my interview, I have received "still pending" emails - but no decision. Has anyone been accepted or rejected by Morehouse in the last 2-3 months? If so, when?

Following my interview, I have received "still pending" emails - but no decision. Has anyone been accepted or rejected by Morehouse in the last 2-3 months? If so, when?
I've gotten 2 of these e-mails since my initial interview first week of Oct. As far as I know, there is generally not movement (acceptance/rejection) from here until interview season is over...so I wouldn't really expect to hear much until Spring. Hope this helps put you at east somewhat; you're not alone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know these things about Morehouse

Attendance policy?
dress code?
recorded lectures?

Where do 3rd and 4th years do their rotations?

Ok, so I don't know too much about most of this but what I do know was that when I worked at a Morehouse lab over the summer when in undergraduate, they did have a pretty strict "dress code" (in comparison to any other school I know). They wanted natural and professional hair, clothes, and body modifications. I don't really know how much this applied to the med students but they said that the medical school had the same dress code, so I'm assuming students are expected to uphold the professional look. I know this definitely stopped me from dyeing my hair, so I waited until I moved to another lab to dye my hair blue, but I had multiple ear piercings and they didn't seem to cause concern so its best to ask them directly, but be aware that they do seem to care at least a little bit. I'm so sorry if this did not help your questions at all.

Hey there! I haven't really checked the forum very often anymore, so sorry for the late response! I interviewed back in September, and I had such a great experience. The first thing you do as a group is sit in a MS2 class for about an hour. After lecture, everyone goes upstairs and sit in a small conference room, where you pretty much introduce yourself. Your first interview is basically right after introductions, and it can be either your primary or secondary interviewer. Depending on your interviewer they will let you know if they are primary or secondary. While both interviewers are very important, pay special attention to the primary, because they will present you to the AdCom. Your second interview is right after lunch and the tour, so you have plenty of time to relax and prepare for your second interview. Both of my interviews were really relaxing and it felt like I was just having a regular conversation. Be yourself, relax, be honest, and be sure to at least have some questions to ask your interviewers. It shows that you are genuinely interested in the school. That's pretty much it, and I wish you luck :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So the Interview day is from 10-5? Is there a lot of sitting around? Will we get to see Grady?

So the Interview day is from 10-5? Is there a lot of sitting around? Will we get to see Grady?

There isn't very much sitting around, except for lunch. And yes you do get to tour Grady with a 3rd and 4th year students.

There isn't very much sitting around, except for lunch. And yes you do get to tour Grady with a 3rd and 4th year students.

Okay, I can imagine it takes a while to tour Grady it's huge! Do they give lots of Financial aid? Website say tuition is 40k, but there are 7k in required fees!

Okay, I can imagine it takes a while to tour Grady it's huge! Do they give lots of Financial aid? Website say tuition is 40k, but there are 7k in required fees!

They do offer scholarships, some are need base, academic, or a mixture of both. I'm working on my financial aid right now, and they basically told us if we don't submit all necessary documents by the due date, we won't be consider as priority for financial aid.

Hope the weather isn't too bad for Thursday/Fri/Sat.

Just got my rejection email.

Which given at the interview the interviewer said they didn't accept Jews, I am not surprised at all.

Hey anybody know any cheap hotels near MSM? Im thinking ~$50 a night. I notice Morehouse is in the heart of downtown, not may cheap hotels around.

Hey anybody know any cheap hotels near MSM? Im thinking ~$50 a night. I notice Morehouse is in the heart of downtown, not may cheap hotels around.
You won't find anything for 50 dollars near MSM. I literally mean nothing. Castleberry Inn & Suites is probably the most affordable option, but mind you it is LOUD and there is a lot of drug activity going on nearby. Super sketch area :(

You won't find anything for 50 dollars near MSM. I literally mean nothing. Castleberry Inn & Suites is probably the most affordable option, but mind you it is LOUD and there is a lot of drug activity going on nearby. Super sketch area :(

So if Morehouse is in Downtown Atlanta, How Much is the nearby Housing?

So if Morehouse is in Downtown Atlanta, How Much is the nearby Housing?
At least double what you're thinking about paying. Probably around 100-150 a night at each of the hotels within a close proximity. I'm not sure how much the price varies the further out you stay.

At least double what you're thinking about paying. Probably around 100-150 a night at each of the hotels within a close proximity. I'm not sure how much the price varies the further out you stay.

I meant to say how much is yearly housing for med students around MSM. Any current MSM students care to comment on how expensive housing is in the area?

Just got my rejection email.

Which given at the interview the interviewer said they didn't accept Jews, I am not surprised at all.
What??? Are you sure he or she wasn't saying that to gauge your reaction? They can't reject you based on religion! Have you called them to ask why you were rejected?

I meant to say how much is yearly housing for med students around MSM. Any current MSM students care to comment on how expensive housing is in the area?
From what I was told, most of the med students don't live near by the campus. You're best bet is to go about 10-20miles out if you want quality but cheaper and safer apartments/housing. I'm currently looking into Lithia Springs, it's cheaper, outside of the main city, and the quality of apartments looks pretty nice.

Oohh, okay. On our day, the 3 students we met who led our campus and Grady tour mentioned that they all lived in Smyrna, with one noting she lives with her Mom. Safer, cheaper, and about a 15 minute drive to campus. Hope this helps.

Its some places by the airport that is cheaper. I had a discount at The Super 8 to get it under $50, but its more so in the range that your looking for.

and the other people who responded.

Yes, I had to go to the associate dean of diversity about it and we had a meeting. I spent a year in yeshiva in one of my gap years so it's not like it's hidden from my application. I was required by AMCAS to report it unfortunately else I would not have done so.

When the interviewer said that, I actually made her repeat it twice. The woman repeated it. I mentioned that I believed that was illegal. And she said "Well we have one Jew. A black Jew. And that's enough! We cannot accept more." So that actually implies that they do accept Jews but is like the old quota system which actually used to be a thing. It's also one of the first things that the Nazis did to the Jews before the Holocaust.

I reported the comments immediately saying I believed I had a biased interviewer and requested a replacement as other schools offer. It was denied. I also emailed and I asked if there was a limit on how many Jews that can be accepted. When I said I would feel better about what the interviewer said if they could name one or two Jewish students in MSM. I said that to three people. All the responses back were basically "Well we don't know of any Jews in the MSM."

Interview on Feb 21st.

Does anyone know of a nearby hotel, perhaps with a shuttle to the school? Any ideas on how much transportation would cost from/to airport?

Thanks!

That is ridiculous. MSM or more particularly the interviewer can get in really big trouble for making a decision base on your religious belief. Whether your Jewish, Christian, Hindu, ect doesn't determine the type of doctor you will be. Have you gone to the proper authorities to get a better understanding of the situation and maybe rectify it? Have you applied/ heard from other schools?

And this is like way off topic, but did you interviewed the last week of September? I believe I remember you lol

and the other people who responded.

Yes, I had to go to the associate dean of diversity about it and we had a meeting. I spent a year in yeshiva in one of my gap years so it's not like it's hidden from my application. I was required by AMCAS to report it unfortunately else I would not have done so.

When the interviewer said that, I actually made her repeat it twice. The woman repeated it. I mentioned that I believed that was illegal. And she said "Well we have one Jew. A black Jew. And that's enough! We cannot accept more." So that actually implies that they do accept Jews but is like the old quota system which actually used to be a thing. It's also one of the first things that the Nazis did to the Jews before the Holocaust.

I reported the comments immediately saying I believed I had a biased interviewer and requested a replacement as other schools offer. It was denied. I also emailed and I asked if there was a limit on how many Jews that can be accepted. When I said I would feel better about what the interviewer said if they could name one or two Jewish students in MSM. I said that to three people. All the responses back were basically "Well we don't know of any Jews in the MSM."

Interview on Feb 21st.

Does anyone know of a nearby hotel, perhaps with a shuttle to the school? Any ideas on how much transportation would cost from/to airport?

Thanks!

I have an interview that same day, what state are you coming from?

If they could see from your app that you are Jewish, why would they invite you for an interview? Just to be mean to you? Or to make sure that you're Jewish before they discriminate against you? If this is all true, it's really hateful and it needs to change. I'm seriously astonished. I can't believe ANY school, let alone a medical school, can be allowed to treat people like this. That's like saying "We train people to care about human beings...but we'll only train people who have a certain religion." Which implies that the institution doesn't really care about people at all.

I don't know why they would bother either. They could see I was Jewish from my application as I was in orthodox religious school. I think I just got an antisemitic interviewer which biased everything.

I didn't receive a secondary till dec 20 and then no word? Should I call? Anything?

So I received the " your still under consideration email " in December, and still have not heard from them. I updated them with my Fall Transcript in January and they said my application is updated. Sooo I still wait? or call?

So I received the " your still under consideration email " in December, and still have not heard from them. I updated them with my Fall Transcript in January and they said my application is updated. Sooo I still wait? or call?

I called earlier today and was told that I'm still under consideration. The December email was the last communication I had received from them.

Reactions: 1 user
If they say they got your update, then that's all you need to do. If there's a change to your status, they will e-mail you. Sit tight. Calling their office is probably just bothersome to them at this point.

Should there be a confirmation email of updates sent to them? I sent an update last month after getting the under consideration email and never got a response back saying they received it. I don't want to be that neurotic applicant that calls, but I also want to make sure they got my update.

If they say they got your update, then that's all you need to do. If there's a change to your status, they will e-mail you. Sit tight. Calling their office is probably just bothersome to them at this point.

Appreciate it!!

I received my acceptance package in the mail yesterday (2/19). I interviewed friday 1/10. Anyone know if morehouse does second look?

Reactions: 1 user
I think Morehouse is one of those schools that takes at least 6 weeks to let interviewees know something.

Last edited: