2013-2014 The Commonwealth Medical College

Started by Tots
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Waesnotsock, you were the only one that posted that was accepted today. Congratulations on your acceptance. Did you find out by email?
 
Waesnotsock, you were the only one that posted that was accepted today. Congratulations on your acceptance. Did you find out by email?

Thank you, & yes, I was emailed and then confirmed it by checking the portal. I noticed that too, I was pretty positive that I, along with everyone still deferred as of yesterday, was going to be waitlisted, but I was fortunate enough to have a spot open up, which hopefully means there will be more movement on the WL than last year and more will hear good news soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This morning I got an email from aamc requesting a background check, which seemed odd since I hadn't heard anything from tcmc since my interview 3/11. It all made sense when my acceptance came in the mail this afternoon! I am planning on attending. Best of luck to all waiting to hear back and on the alternate list!
 
Got an email with my campus selection today. I was assigned west...any accepted students that were assigned north or south willing to trade? I'm from the wilkes-barre area so I was hoping to get any of those 2 assignements.
 
This morning I got an email from aamc requesting a background check, which seemed odd since I hadn't heard anything from tcmc since my interview 3/11. It all made sense when my acceptance came in the mail this afternoon! I am planning on attending. Best of luck to all waiting to hear back and on the alternate list!

Congrats! So much for the theory that silence = rejection.
 
Is there a list that shows which vaccinations we need? I'm almost positive I saw a list a month ago, but now I can't find it.
 
How long does TCMC give for step 1 studying? I was looking at the academic calendar and I don't see any gap of classes for dedicated step 1
About a month and a half of dedicated time depending on when you decide to take step 1. For example - the Mind block (the last block of 2nd yr) ended on Friday. All M2s have to take Step 1 before June 17th (don't remember the exact date, but it's around then). Third year starts June 18th.

Also starting in January, every Monday M2s have off to study for step.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just got an automatic acceptance in their MBS program. Just accepted it. Also states it doesn't affect your MD eligibility while they are still accepting MD applicants.
 
I am sort of confused by this. Is this TCMC telling us you are a long shot at getting into the MD program, so we are going to throw you this bone.

Does anyone know if in the past they have done this and people who were given this offer were still able to get off the wait list?

Is there still hope?
 
To current students:

Is the parking pass necessary? I remember one of our student chaperones saying there is usually parking in the street.
 
Alternate list - TCMC has traditionally not selected a ton of students off of our alternate list. This has just been the trend nationally as fewer schools are going to their waitlists. I can tell you that TCMC selected 3 students off of our waitlist (one of the three was on our last day of orientation) last yr for my class (Class of 2017). I don't say this to dash hopes of those on the alternate list - I am just reporting the stats for last year. This year may be different and I hope it is for those of you on the alternate list.

TCMC MBS Program - I am not sure of those who were waitlisted in the MD program, accepting the MBS acceptance and then being pulled off the waitlist. This may just be an artifact of us only taking 3 students off the waitlist. Having graduated from the MBS program (now more than a year ago) - I will say it is a solid foundational program and made my transition to medical school all the better. I caution though that it does not have any guarantees and is quite high in tuition costs.

Automatic acceptance to MBS - I'm not sure of the thinking behind automatic acceptance into the MBS program. I wouldn't overthink it. If you're not getting admitted into other med schools, chances are you do need to work on a few things with your application regardless of whether they admit you to the MBS program.

Parking Pass - I bought a parking pass. I live like 5 minutes (driving distance) from school. I like it for the winter. Snow plowing is not Scranton's thing - so having a designated spot that will be clean is good for my car and reduces my stress levels at 8am deep in the depressing months of December and January. Many do find street parking - I just didn't want the hassle. To each their own.

Hope that helps!
 
Alternate list - TCMC has traditionally not selected a ton of students off of our alternate list. This has just been the trend nationally as fewer schools are going to their waitlists. I can tell you that TCMC selected 3 students off of our waitlist (one of the three was on our last day of orientation) last yr for my class (Class of 2017). I don't say this to dash hopes of those on the alternate list - I am just reporting the stats for last year. This year may be different and I hope it is for those of you on the alternate list.

TCMC MBS Program - I am not sure of those who were waitlisted in the MD program, accepting the MBS acceptance and then being pulled off the waitlist. This may just be an artifact of us only taking 3 students off the waitlist. Having graduated from the MBS program (now more than a year ago) - I will say it is a solid foundational program and made my transition to medical school all the better. I caution though that it does not have any guarantees and is quite high in tuition costs.

Automatic acceptance to MBS - I'm not sure of the thinking behind automatic acceptance into the MBS program. I wouldn't overthink it. If you're not getting admitted into other med schools, chances are you do need to work on a few things with your application regardless of whether they admit you to the MBS program.

Parking Pass - I bought a parking pass. I live like 5 minutes (driving distance) from school. I like it for the winter. Snow plowing is not Scranton's thing - so having a designated spot that will be clean is good for my car and reduces my stress levels at 8am deep in the depressing months of December and January. Many do find street parking - I just didn't want the hassle. To each their own.

Hope that helps!
Wow thanks for all the info. Super helpful.
In your opinion, with a GPA of 3.4 and MCAT of 25. Would you recommend taking the TCMC MBS program?
 
For any current TCMC students:

Coming in this year, I've been placed through the lottery on West campus. I would, in all honesty, love to stay there being from the area. However, my fiancée and I will be living together and because she's starting her career I won't be able to move her after 2 years from Scranton to Williamsport.
On top of this, I really want to partake in the MD/MPH program, which requires me to physically attend classes at ESU after my third year. Thus, 2 years in scranton, 1 year in Williamsport, 1 year at ESU, then 1 final year back at Williamsport. I can't do that to her. My only chance of doing the MD/MPH program is if I get switched to the North or South campus for 3rd and 4th year.
I was told that significant movement occurred today on the lottery list. And I was told that, although it's not guaranteed, that I have a chance of being switched with more anticipated movement.
So my question is, is there really a lot of movement between now and August that I actually have a decent chance?

Tldr - how much does the regional campus selection lottery list actually move in the summer?

Thank in advance for any input!
 
For any current TCMC students:

Coming in this year, I've been placed through the lottery on West campus. I would, in all honesty, love to stay there being from the area. However, my fiancée and I will be living together and because she's starting her career I won't be able to move her after 2 years from Scranton to Williamsport.
On top of this, I really want to partake in the MD/MPH program, which requires me to physically attend classes at ESU after my third year. Thus, 2 years in scranton, 1 year in Williamsport, 1 year at ESU, then 1 final year back at Williamsport. I can't do that to her. My only chance of doing the MD/MPH program is if I get switched to the North or South campus for 3rd and 4th year.
I was told that significant movement occurred today on the lottery list. And I was told that, although it's not guaranteed, that I have a chance of being switched with more anticipated movement.
So my question is, is there really a lot of movement between now and August that I actually have a decent chance?

Tldr - how much does the regional campus selection lottery list actually move in the summer?

Thank in advance for any input!

If I get off the alternate list, and end up in north or south. I will be happy to switch with you. I really want to go here!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For any current TCMC students:

Coming in this year, I've been placed through the lottery on West campus. I would, in all honesty, love to stay there being from the area. However, my fiancée and I will be living together and because she's starting her career I won't be able to move her after 2 years from Scranton to Williamsport.
On top of this, I really want to partake in the MD/MPH program, which requires me to physically attend classes at ESU after my third year. Thus, 2 years in scranton, 1 year in Williamsport, 1 year at ESU, then 1 final year back at Williamsport. I can't do that to her. My only chance of doing the MD/MPH program is if I get switched to the North or South campus for 3rd and 4th year.
I was told that significant movement occurred today on the lottery list. And I was told that, although it's not guaranteed, that I have a chance of being switched with more anticipated movement.
So my question is, is there really a lot of movement between now and August that I actually have a decent chance?

Tldr - how much does the regional campus selection lottery list actually move in the summer?

Thank in advance for any input!

Quite a bit. A lot of people that were West get switched to South. Both my roommate and I were West and got switched to South over the summer. A number of people experienced the same thing. A few get switched from South to North. Also - your best bet is to find someone during the first week in orientation. Also - as circumstances change, as long as you find someone to switch with before your 3rd year, the school will allow you to switch.
 
Quite a bit. A lot of people that were West get switched to South. Both my roommate and I were West and got switched to South over the summer. A number of people experienced the same thing. A few get switched from South to North. Also - your best bet is to find someone during the first week in orientation. Also - as circumstances change, as long as you find someone to switch with before your 3rd year, the school will allow you to switch.

Woah! I had no idea I was able to switch before 3rd year. I was under the impression that once August came around your regional campus was locked in.
 
Woah! I had no idea I was able to switch before 3rd year. I was under the impression that once August came around your regional campus was locked in.

Generally, that's true that you're locked in by the end of the first week in first year - but they understand there are difficult situations that are evolving. People getting engaged, spouses moving etc. So there are exceptions to the rule - but that is predicated on you finding someone to switch with.
 
Yeahh. It sounds to me like I shouldn't gamble. I'm just worried I'm gonna regret it if I do end up getting switched. Oh well, happy wife happy life!
 
For the MBS program, if I have a 25 MCAT, 3.46 Cumulative GPA, and a 3.28 Science GPA. Would it really benefit me to enroll into this program? (already been accepted)
 
Can any TCMC students please give some input on textbooks for MS1? They have a list of about 20 books that are required and probably 10 more that are recommended. This seems kind of ridiculous, especially when they recommend 5 separate books for general/gastro/renal/endocrine/cardiovascular physiology.
 
Can any TCMC students please give some input on textbooks for MS1? They have a list of about 20 books that are required and probably 10 more that are recommended. This seems kind of ridiculous, especially when they recommend 5 separate books for general/gastro/renal/endocrine/cardiovascular physiology.

The book list is literally 99% useless. Wait till you get to school and talk to some upperclassmen about what to buy. Also - upperclassmen usually tell people too late, so if you have conversations with other incoming first years, spread the word.

Literally the only two books you buy before neuro - are probably some version of an anatomy atlas and Physiology by Costanzo. If you're someone that learns by reading textbooks, well then you can certainly buy the textbooks but I'll tell you that many of the professors don't really draw from the textbooks outside of maybe the figures they use in their lectures.
 
Quick question. Found a place .90 miles from the school that all utilities included (Gas, Heat, Water, Sewer, Trash) except electricity. It is partially furnished as well. This is for $800/mo. Do you guys recommend this?

The pro's i see are that it is close to the school, partially furnished, and heat is included (which can be $100+/mo at times.

The con's I see are the price!

What do you all think? Thank you so much.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Quick question. Found a place .90 miles from the school that all utilities included (Gas, Heat, Water, Sewer, Trash) except electricity. It is partially furnished as well. This is for $800/mo. Do you guys recommend this?

The pro's i see are that it is close to the school, partially furnished, and heat is included (which can be $100+/mo at times.

The con's I see are the price!

What do you all think? Thank you so much.
I stayed with a host when I interviewed and he was paying less than 500 for his own room
 
Quick question. Found a place .90 miles from the school that all utilities included (Gas, Heat, Water, Sewer, Trash) except electricity. It is partially furnished as well. This is for $800/mo. Do you guys recommend this?

The pro's i see are that it is close to the school, partially furnished, and heat is included (which can be $100+/mo at times.

The con's I see are the price!

What do you all think? Thank you so much.

Seems kinds high - you could probably find a 2 bedroom closer to campus it seems for around 800 with a similar utility deal. I know there are people advertising singles on FB for 625-ish that are 1-2 blocks away. Obviously these aren't apartment complexes (more like house apts) or condos so they may not have the same luxuries as places you might be looking at.
 
Does anyone know what the MS1 daily schedule looks like? It looks like patient centered medicine and physician & society are a few hours, once a week. What about cell and molecular basis -- is that like an every day class?
 
Does anyone know what the MS1 daily schedule looks like? It looks like patient centered medicine and physician & society are a few hours, once a week. What about cell and molecular basis -- is that like an every day class?

PCM is held every Tuesday afternoon throughout the year, starting at 1:30. Some PCM sessions are more like a "traditional" class, while other sessions are small groups where you practice history taking with standardized patients and a physician facilitator. Nearly all sessions are mandatory attendance.

PAS is held on Thursdays throughout the year starting at 1:30; however, many PAS classes are optional attendance. Note that CHRP projects are done as part of PAS.

CMBL lasts 9(?) weeks and is more or less an every day class. Lecture takes place on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday and either starts at 8am or 9am and runs until noon. Our class had small group case-based discussions (lasting about 3 hours) for CMBL every Thursday except the those Thursdays before the exams (2, both held on Fridays). Not sure if this will change for your year. On Fridays that do not have an exam, you will have TBL, which is basically a short (15 questions or so) quiz on the past week's material. You take TBL first individually and then with a pre-assigned group. Grades from both individual and group are averaged to get your overall TBL grade. Don't stress too much about TBLs; they only count for 10% total of your final grade in CMBL.
 
deadhead2, thanks for the response -- sounds like a decent schedule, or as decent as it can get for med school.

Also, has anyone received any emails or paperwork from the financial aid offices after completing the entrance counseling and MPN stuff for the loans?