2013-2014 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is your MCAT score in?

Since April :laugh:

Update: I got the secondary link the day after I posted about not getting one.

Members don't see this ad.

Round 2 for me as well! Good luck to all of us this time around. Question, though: how much should we change our essays from last year (excluding the re-applicant essay)? I mean, I want to be as sincere as possible, and honestly, my motivations for Mizzou being at the top of my list are still the same, more or less (close to my family, the family docs I grew up with are alums, PBL). Would any successful re-applicants from years past mind giving advice?:laugh: I got an interview last year, but I think that the interview itself was what took me out of the running last year.

Last edited:
Does any one know if Mizzou accepts AP credits for required courses? I can't find it on their admissions website

Members don't see this ad :)
Any Mizzou people waiting for their committee meeting?

Any Mizzou people waiting for their committee meeting?

Just waiting on an interview invite from Mizzou, everything seems so far away the wait is killing me!

I hear ya...I'm all ready to be complete everywhere but Mizzou's premed committee doesn't meet until Aug 19th I believe so I'm yet to have my committee letter

Hey guys, I'm an M2 here. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Good luck! :)

Hey guys, I'm an M2 here. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask! Good luck! :)

Thanks Monocles, back for round two here after being wait-listed last time (I think we talked a bit on last years thread). I improved my app quite a bit since then, any idea how Mizzou views reapplicants?

is there protected study time for step 1?

Also, could you give an example of how PBL is ran? I like the idea of PBL but I'm worried that it's just students trying to teach other students (which I don't want to pay $$ for) or a waste of time that can be used to study other materials

I'm OOS, and I just submitted my "Why should we consider you?" form. Hopefully they will!

"Any OOSers receive a secondary yet?"

---

Just got mine! Submitted my "Why should we consider you?" about a week and a half ago. They were out of the office last week, so I'm not sure how long it should normally take for them to get back to you.

Uhhh the what form? Did you get this in an email? I can't find it on the website...

EDIT: nvm, I'm a resident of a contiguous state. Hopefully my 3.87, 29 didn't get me screened.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Monocles, back for round two here after being wait-listed last time (I think we talked a bit on last years thread). I improved my app quite a bit since then, any idea how Mizzou views reapplicants?

Yup I remember you!

As for your question: Positively. Generally if you apply again then it shows that you are really interested in the school. If you were wait-listed last time, then any improvements you've made can only help you this round. Good luck! :)

Last edited:
is there protected study time for step 1?

Also, could you give an example of how PBL is ran? I like the idea of PBL but I'm worried that it's just students trying to teach other students (which I don't want to pay $$ for) or a waste of time that can be used to study other materials

Study time for step 1: three weeks after block 8. Sadly it's not a lot, but the curriculum really tones down during blocks 7 and 8 (spring semester) so a lot of Step 1 studying is on your own time in addition to classes. However our results have been spectacular, last year our average was 239.

PBL is almost 90% students teaching other students, which can be good or bad depending on your style. I must admit it is not for everyone. Basically here's the rundown:

- Day 1: You get the case and information, differentials are formed and the hypothetical treatments are discussed. Your team makes a list of learning objectives to figure out information that you don't know.

- Day 2: Everyone presents on their findings in the form of a powerpoint. In the 2nd half of this session more information is given about the case and the differential is further refined and more objectives are made.

- Day 3: Second round of presentations. By now all the information should (theoretically) be clarified and your team will come up with the final diagnosis. A physician will later come in and give a lecture to debrief/wrap-up the case.

If you're not a fan of peer-learning, then I wouldn't really recommend PBL because a traditional lecture curriculum might be better. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Yup I remember you!

As for your question: Positively. Generally if you apply again then it shows that you are really interested in the school. If you were wait-listed last time, then any improvements you've made can only help you this round. Good luck! :)

Thanks a ton Monocles, I know it is late and you are super busy. I really appreciate the input!

From their website, under the OOS tab:

"Depending on whether the applicant is from a contiguous or non-contiguous state, there are different evaluation procedures for opening a file. For contiguous state applicants who meet the minimum MCAT and GPA requirements, a file is automatically opened. On the other hand, applicants from non-contiguous states and those who have an MCAT and/or GPA below the minimum are required to complete a questionnaire which gives the applicant an opportunity to address why the admissions committee should make an exception to Missouri resident preference. Completion of the questionnaire is required. The Associate Dean for Student Programs makes the final decision whether or not to open a file.

Since I'm a TN resident, I didn't have to do the questionnaire. But they received my primary (verified, all LORs) back on 8/7, and I still haven't heard anything from them. :(

But they received my primary (verified, all LORs) back on 8/7, and I still haven't heard anything from them. :(

No worries, it's only August. I had everything completed by November (lol don't do this) but still got accepted. You can panic if there's still no signs of progress by March. :p

Thanks for the help Monocles!

Do you guys do rotations in St. Louis or Kansas City?

Thanks for the help Monocles!

Do you guys do rotations in St. Louis or Kansas City?

Yes! A 3rd year friend of mine is currently doing his pediatrics rotation with wash U in Stl. I'm sure there must be people doing rotations in Kansas City as well. I'm not 100% familiar with how away rotations work but I can find out for you.

Yes! A 3rd year friend of mine is currently doing his pediatrics rotation with wash U in Stl. I'm sure there must be people doing rotations in Kansas City as well. I'm not 100% familiar with how away rotations work but I can find out for you.

Oh no you don't have to search for anything. I was just wondering if it was an option that students at Mizzou utilize. It would seem pretty beneficial considering the demographics and quality hospitals in those areas

Last edited:
Rejected pre-interview for ED. That stung a little, Mizzou.

Oh well, hopefully they will like me for regular decision :luck:

I have heard they are pretty picky with ED, still sucks though. I am sure you will have better luck with regular decision!

Wow I can't believe you heard back. I would have definitely done ED if I knew I could here back that quickly
Good luck with the rest of the cycle ma'am :=|:-):

edit: just looked at your stats....very surprising on the rejection. I'm sure you'll get in regular admission

I have heard they are pretty picky with ED, still sucks though. I am sure you will have better luck with regular decision!

Ugh, hope so; I love Mizzou.

My friend who was accepted ED a couple years ago was also surprised xD He asked admissions and they said they got a lot of ED applicants this year, so they are turning down handfuls.

Ugh, hope so; I love Mizzou.

My friend who was accepted ED a couple years ago was also surprised xD He asked admissions and they said they got a lot of ED applicants this year, so they are turning down handfuls.

Mizzou really confuses me with how they accept people. Definitely a lot of qualified applicants like you but then I've heard about people with 25s on the MCAT getting in

Mizzou really confuses me with how they accept people. Definitely a lot of qualified applicants like you but then I've heard about people with 25s on the MCAT getting in

They're looking for more than just stats, so those students with 25s must have something that I don't.

Going crazy waiting for an II, haha hopefully sometime soon now

Does anyone know how to view the status of your application online?

I'll ask the typical question then....
when were you guys complete/stats?

I'll ask the typical question then....
when were you guys complete/stats?

Id prefer not to give complete stats, but I was complete late July. GPA ~3.9 and MCAT lower 30s.

Edit: Science GPA at ~3.8

Good luck, guys! :luck::luck::luck:

I hope you two rock your interviews.

Sweet. I got my stuff in relatively recently and haven't heard back from them since I sent the snail mail. Good luck guys.

Still no secondary and I've been verified for 2 weeks D: I'll wait another week then contact them. Nothing in spam.

Yeah I also wanted to see how long it generally takes them to send a secondary out. I am OOS. Do they send a survey to OOS to see if they have ties to Missouri or anything? In either case, how long did ya'll generally have to wait?

Yeah I also wanted to see how long it generally takes them to send a secondary out. I am OOS. Do they send a survey to OOS to see if they have ties to Missouri or anything? In either case, how long did ya'll generally have to wait?

I am not sure on the OOS wait, but I do know they send out a "prove your ties/loyalty to Missouri" essay before sending OOS secondaries.

I am not sure on the OOS wait, but I do know they send out a "prove your ties/loyalty to Missouri" essay before sending OOS secondaries.

I got my initial "why should we consider you/prove your ties" email from Missouri 4 days after my AMCAS was verified. Had to submit that by email within 3 weeks.

I'm still waitin on my secondary, too, after being verified by AMCAS 9/13. I called early this week, and the person I spoke with said that their admissions person was out all week last week, so she is cathcing up on paperwork and will be processing applications again this week.

Got an II and a job for the rest of my gap year all today!
>II Oct. 7
>Stats: IS, re-applicant, complete last week of July, 3.9 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 30/29 MCATs

Congrats! Sounds like a good day for you.
Kind of curious if they are only on the July applications. If so...I have a long wait haha. Makes sense if there is only one admissions person as hinted at above

II this morning for Oct. 15!

IS, complete Aug 1st, 33 MCAT, subpar GPA, but upward trend + postbacc GPA of 3.8

II this morning for Oct. 15!

IS, complete Aug 1st, 33 MCAT, subpar GPA, but upward trend + postbacc GPA of 3.8

Congrats! Seems like they are sort of going in order of app completion

II this morning for Oct. 15

IS, complete Aug 2nd, 36 MCAT, subpar GPA, but upward trend + post-bacc GPA of 3.97

Hey guys, congrats once again to everyone who got recent interviews! And if you haven't gotten yours yet, hang in there! (I didn't get an interview until January) Our test week is this week but afterwards I should be free to answer everyone's questions. :)