2013-2014 University of Missouri - Columbia Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys, congrats once again to everyone who got recent interviews! And if you haven't gotten yours yet, hang in there! (I didn't get an interview until January) Our test week is this week but afterwards I should be free to answer everyone's questions. :)

Thanks much Monocles, always super appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, congrats once again to everyone who got recent interviews! And if you haven't gotten yours yet, hang in there! (I didn't get an interview until January) Our test week is this week but afterwards I should be free to answer everyone's questions. :)

Break a leg this test week!

Submitted out of state app yesterday. How long should I aspect to wait before getting a decision about the secondary app?

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread seems pretty calm compared to last years, I wonder if it has anything to do with the AMCAS delay.

This thread seems pretty calm compared to last years, I wonder if it has anything to do with the AMCAS delay.

Could be. I was complete late August and still waiting reply for a possible interview. 3.97/34 IS

34/3.97 IS

Complete: 8/20; II yesterday for 10/23

Like a boss
Nice to see that interviews DO exist
:xf:

II yesterday for 10/29!

Complete 8/26

Edit: My mistake on the date! Thanks, StudentDrWho!

Last edited:
So is the date they send updates the last Friday of every month? Or the Friday after the month is finished? Can't remember.

Members don't see this ad :)
Darn! Just missed it, I guess - even though I know spots are sparse early on.

Darn! Just missed it, I guess - even though I know spots are sparse early on.

Yeah, they said AT MOST they would give out 5 acceptances around October 25th (and mind you that is for everyone that interviewed in October). So yeah, haha, don't feel too bad about being just past that cutoff. It is a long, long process here at Mizzou, let the waiting games begin :(

Yeah, they said AT MOST they would give out 5 acceptances around October 25th (and mind you that is for everyone that interviewed in October). So yeah, haha, don't feel too bad about being just past that cutoff. It is a long, long process here at Mizzou, let the waiting games begin :(

Yeah, I interviewed last year in November, but missed the waitlist. However, I'm super stoked about getting a second chance! Good luck to all of us! :luck:

Congrats to everyone with interview invites! :luck::luck::luck:

This thread has been quiet for a while. Has anyone gotten an ii lately? Does anyone have any information about how often the adcom's meet? What is the normal lead time from invite to interview? Any information would be appreciated.

This thread has been quiet for a while. Has anyone gotten an ii lately? Does anyone have any information about how often the adcom's meet? What is the normal lead time from invite to interview? Any information would be appreciated.

My invite was 2 weeks before my interview.

Committee meets every Thursday and they hold interviews on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays (usually an AM and PM interview group that tours/hears presentations together in the overlap noon hour). I received my interview invite a little over 2 weeks before my proposed interview day. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have!

I'm filling out the secondary right now. Any idea on what they look for in the answers for the "Additional Information Essay" and "Diversity Essay"? I suck at writing so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

I'm filling out the secondary right now. Any idea on what they look for in the answers for the "Additional Information Essay" and "Diversity Essay"? I suck at writing so I need all the help I can get. Thanks!

It's been a while since I've done the secondary, but I think the additional information is for anything you want to explain on your transcripts (ex: bad grades, misdemeanors, etc). Can you please post the prompt so I can make sure I'm telling you the right thing?

The diversity essay is basically how you can "contribute to the diversity" of Mizzou's class. This part was easier for me because I'm an ethnic minority, but a lot of my classmates wrote about various diverse experiences, for example traveling to other countries, teaching, surfing, doing research, living in a co-op, etc. It turns out that our class composition is for the most part, similar to the demographics of the state itself (very white and middle class), so obviously you don't have to be an ethnic minority to be accepted :p. Basically it's like what different perspectives and ideas can you bring and share with a PBL group. :)

Committee meets every Thursday and they hold interviews on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays (usually an AM and PM interview group that tours/hears presentations together in the overlap noon hour). I received my interview invite a little over 2 weeks before my proposed interview day. I'm happy to answer any other questions you have!
Thanks. Do you know how often invites go out?

Thanks. Do you know how often invites go out?

Unfortunately I do not. However, based on how things have been going this year it seems like they flow out fairly steadily but in small batches. It looks like it is pretty correlated with completion date (although I suppose that could be said for most schools).

It's been a while since I've done the secondary, but I think the additional information is for anything you want to explain on your transcripts (ex: bad grades, misdemeanors, etc). Can you please post the prompt so I can make sure I'm telling you the right thing?

The diversity essay is basically how you can "contribute to the diversity" of Mizzou's class. This part was easier for me because I'm an ethnic minority, but a lot of my classmates wrote about various diverse experiences, for example traveling to other countries, teaching, surfing, doing research, living in a co-op, etc. It turns out that our class composition is for the most part, similar to the demographics of the state itself (very white and middle class), so obviously you don't have to be an ethnic minority to be accepted :p. Basically it's like what different perspectives and ideas can you bring and share with a PBL group. :)

Well, the diversity one should be easy then cuz I'm ethnic too! Thanks!

Here's the prompt for the "Additional Information Essay":

"Additional Information Essay
Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply."

Also, do you know if they put more emphasis on the secondary as opposed to the personal statement when making decisions? I spoke with a director of admissions at a different school and he said for that school they did. It kinda scared me into thinking they all do, though I'd heard the opposite before (personal statement more important). Thanks!

This thread seems pretty quiet. I have an interview scheduled coming up- anyone have any comments on the interview day?

II received today!

OOS, but I am a resident of a contiguous state. Complete early september, <30 MCAT, >3.8 GPA, non-urm.

Looking back at this thread, nobody has posted about the interview day experience. How was it? Stressful, chaotic, laid back?

II received today!

OOS, but I am a resident of a contiguous state. Complete early september, <30 MCAT, >3.8 GPA, non-urm.

Looking back at this thread, nobody has posted about the interview day experience. How was it? Stressful, chaotic, laid back?

You have two separate one hour-long interviews. Sometimes one of the interviews is with a student, sometimes both are with faculty. If you are in the morning group, you check in and then have your two interviews back to back. It really depends on the interviewer, but with only a couple exceptions every single interview I have heard about there (including my own) have been very laid back and stress free. They treat the interviewees really well. After the interview you join up with the afternoon batch of interviewees (who interview during the very last part of their day) and then meet with Ms. Martin to talk about the school and ask any questions you may have. She is extremely nice and helpful, I am pretty sure if everything were up to her she would admit every single person! After that you have the standard financial aid presentation followed by lunch (usually sandwiches from a local deli) hosted by two med students (anywhere from M1-M4 depending on their schedules). After lunch the two med students will take you on a laid back tour of the school and answer any additional questions you have remaining. Once the tour is over, the morning group checks out and heads home while the afternoon group goes through their interviews.

Hope that helps a little!

Well, the diversity one should be easy then cuz I'm ethnic too! Thanks!

Here's the prompt for the "Additional Information Essay":

"Additional Information Essay
Please describe any element within your candidacy not fully addressed on the AMCAS application that you want the Admissions Committee to consider. Please include information regarding how you heard about our school, and any factors(programs, people, mission, geography etc.) that led you to apply."

Also, do you know if they put more emphasis on the secondary as opposed to the personal statement when making decisions? I spoke with a director of admissions at a different school and he said for that school they did. It kinda scared me into thinking they all do, though I'd heard the opposite before (personal statement more important). Thanks!

Ah, I remember correctly now. I wrote this as the "why do you want to come to mizzou" section. I basically talked about how our undergrad really encouraged working in groups and how that would help in a PBL based curriculum, etc. Just talk about why you want to come to mizzou. :)

As for your second question I am actually not sure. As I may or may not have mentioned, I'm not on the admissions committee so everything that I'm telling you guys is based on personal experience. Sorry I don't quite have an answer for that one.

You have two separate one hour-long interviews. Sometimes one of the interviews is with a student, sometimes both are with faculty. If you are in the morning group, you check in and then have your two interviews back to back. It really depends on the interviewer, but with only a couple exceptions every single interview I have heard about there (including my own) have been very laid back and stress free. They treat the interviewees really well. After the interview you join up with the afternoon batch of interviewees (who interview during the very last part of their day) and then meet with Ms. Martin to talk about the school and ask any questions you may have. She is extremely nice and helpful, I am pretty sure if everything were up to her she would admit every single person! After that you have the standard financial aid presentation followed by lunch (usually sandwiches from a local deli) hosted by two med students (anywhere from M1-M4 depending on their schedules). After lunch the two med students will take you on a laid back tour of the school and answer any additional questions you have remaining. Once the tour is over, the morning group checks out and heads home while the afternoon group goes through their interviews.

Hope that helps a little!

Thanks so much! Sounds like it'll be a good time. I'm very excited for this one.

Ah, I remember correctly now. I wrote this as the "why do you want to come to mizzou" section. I basically talked about how our undergrad really encouraged working in groups and how that would help in a PBL based curriculum, etc. Just talk about why you want to come to mizzou. :)

As for your second question I am actually not sure. As I may or may not have mentioned, I'm not on the admissions committee so everything that I'm telling you guys is based on personal experience. Sorry I don't quite have an answer for that one.

That's ok! Thanks for all your advice! Secondary complete now. Hopefully I hear back soon, though it seems there's about a two month wait between completion and IIs.

That's ok! Thanks for all your advice! Secondary complete now. Hopefully I hear back soon, though it seems there's about a two month wait between completion and IIs.

That sounds about right. I submitted everything in late October and heard back during winter break. Good luck!

Got an interview invite yesterday for 11/5! It's my first one, so I am pretty excited. Is it true that MU has to interview all in state candidates with a certain GPA and MCAT?

Got an interview invite yesterday for 11/5! It's my first one, so I am pretty excited. Is it true that MU has to interview all in state candidates with a certain GPA and MCAT?

From previous years I believe it was a 3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT but things may have changed recently.

The interviews were extremely conversational and not stressful in the least. I normally get super nervous in interviews and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Here are the questions I can remember from my two interviews:

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Let's say we get 100 applicants for one spot. Why should we choose you?
3. Why medicine?
4. As a member of the LGBT community, how would you respond if a patient was homophobic, but you were their PCP and the only provider in the area?
5. Tell me about your biggest challenge in college.
6. Tell me about your research.
7. Can you tell me why you marked X as your most important experience? (asked about all 3)
8. I really like X line in your personal statement. Can you tell me more about that experience?
9. Can you tell me the one or two motivating experiences that really made an impact on you wanting to go into medicine?
10. How do you study?
11. Tell me about your leadership experiences.
12. Who is your physician role model?
13. Why Mizzou?
14. Have you ever seen something in your shadowing that could have been done differently? How would you have done it?
15. Tell me one good thing and one bad thing about the ACA.
16. Tell me about a time when you have had to work on a team.
17. Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with someone and how it was solved.
18. Is there anything else you want to tell me that wasn't brought up in this interview and isn't on AMCAS?
19. What are you going to do if you don't get in this year?
20. What 3 traits do you think are most important to be a good doctor?
21. Do you have any other interviews lined up?
22. Where else did you apply to?

FYI I totally answered the last two because I'm comfortable like that. I just ended them both with reiterating that Mizzou is my top choice (which it is).

The interviews were extremely conversational and not stressful in the least. I normally get super nervous in interviews and I wasn't uncomfortable at all.

Here are the questions I can remember from my two interviews:

1. Tell me about yourself.
2. Let's say we get 100 applicants for one spot. Why should we choose you?
3. Why medicine?
4. As a member of the LGBT community, how would you respond if a patient was homophobic, but you were their PCP and the only provider in the area?
5. Tell me about your biggest challenge in college.
6. Tell me about your research.
7. Can you tell me why you marked X as your most important experience? (asked about all 3)
8. I really like X line in your personal statement. Can you tell me more about that experience?
9. Can you tell me the one or two motivating experiences that really made an impact on you wanting to go into medicine?
10. How do you study?
11. Tell me about your leadership experiences.
12. Who is your physician role model?
13. Why Mizzou?
14. Have you ever seen something in your shadowing that could have been done differently? How would you have done it?
15. Tell me one good thing and one bad thing about the ACA.
16. Tell me about a time when you have had to work on a team.
17. Tell me about a time you had a disagreement with someone and how it was solved.
18. Is there anything else you want to tell me that wasn't brought up in this interview and isn't on AMCAS?
19. What are you going to do if you don't get in this year?
20. What 3 traits do you think are most important to be a good doctor?
21. Do you have any other interviews lined up?
22. Where else did you apply to?

FYI I totally answered the last two because I'm comfortable like that. I just ended them both with reiterating that Mizzou is my top choice (which it is).

Nice post! You should definitely copy this over to the "Interview Feedback" page if you haven't already done so.

From previous years I believe it was a 3.5 GPA and 28 MCAT but things may have changed recently.

Really? I hope they only invite people to interview who they are serious about! Does anyone else have any insight about this?

I got an II today for Nov. 11, complete 9/24

I was told at my interview that they would send out notices on 10/31. Allison also mentioned that they would not begin rejecting people until around December.

I was told at my interview that they would send out notices on 10/31. Allison also mentioned that they would not begin rejecting people until around December.

Thanks sworzeh!

I was rejected here post interview 2 years ago. Here's to hoping Mizzou shows me love a second time around, even as an OOS applicant.

For those of you who have interviewed, did each interview last the entire hour?

One interview lasted about an hour and 10 minutes (we got off topic a bit haha, but it was awesome) and my other lasted 45 minutes.

Starting to think we may not get an update today :(

Does anyone know what the interview days are for Mizzou and when they stop interviewing before Christmas and when they resume after Christmas?

Do they send everyone an e-mail at the end of the month?
Also, will they accept people today or call tomorrow?

Was hoping for an update today... They e-mail updates and do calls if you're accepted off the waitlist after the March batch update.

Just got accepted! Check your emails, everyone!

Application complete 8/1, interviewed 10/15, IS, 3.8 post-bac gpa, 32 MCAT