2013-2014 University of Oklahoma College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations to those who were accepted! Looks like deferrals are more numerous at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred as well, 3.79/32/in-state

Actually kind of pissed. I was really wanting an acceptance before spring semester :(

Acceptance here as well!

3.73/32/IS (OOS undergrad)

Reactions: 2 users
Hello everyone! Congrats to those who have been accepted. :)

Not new but a longtime lurker. 3.96/29/IS, joining the deferred party. Do we know how many more spots are still open in the class?

Let's stay positive even though it's going to be a long wait. :)

Reactions: 1 user
I can clarify that. I'm currently in a Tulsa mod but we have people in our mod not committed to the Tulsa track too. There are 2 full Tulsa mods in our class. Each with about 18, so subtracting the one's who aren't fully committed or might not end up going, you have around 33 definitely going. Most of the time the Tulsa track has 40 slots open. Anyone who's not in a Tulsa track/mod right off the bat doesn't have anything to worry about if they decide later to go to Tulsa, unless the spaces are filled. The great part about OU is you can become really great friends with the people in your mod (automatic support group and friendship once you get past the initial "this is medical school" shock) or people outside your mod.

People do know each other from all different places in their past (or some people who are OOS and jump right in) but it's a great opportunity to meet new people with the same or different interests as you, learning medicine. The diversity at OU is decent, speaking from a minority stand point. OUCOM has many different types of interests groups and so does the OUHSC campus. All in all the school and your classmates work together to create a cohesive and welcoming environment.

Hope this helped!

OUmed2017,

I am trying to decide on whether to select the School of Community Medicine (SCM) track or the OKC track on my acceptance letter. After looking at a few websites/reading SDN posts, it seems that if I select the OKC track and then decide that I do want to go through with the SCM track for my 3rd/4th year, then that usually is not a problem. Do you know how hard it has been for students who originally selected the SCM track to change back to going with the OKC Track for whatever reason?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

I know last year they filled half (actually may have even been slightly more than half) their class during the first round of acceptances and then the rest in February, with all the previously deferred either being accepted, wait listed, or rejected in February. I'm getting the feeling they didn't accept as many the first time this year though. Last year on sdn, acceptances far outweighed deferrals. But this year there's definitely more deferrals than acceptances on here. Now I'm taking the risk of assumption here, but I feel that the SDN population gets accepted at an equal or higher rate than non-SDNers, so I'm betting they filled less than half the class.

Hello everyone! Congrats to those who have been accepted. :)

Not new but a longtime lurker. 3.96/29/IS, joining the deferred party. Do we know how many more spots are still open in the class?

Let's stay positive even though it's going to be a long wait. :)

OUmed2017,

I am trying to decide on whether to select the School of Community Medicine (SCM) track or the OKC track on my acceptance letter. After looking at a few websites/reading SDN posts, it seems that if I select the OKC track and then decide that I do want to go through with the SCM track for my 3rd/4th year, then that usually is not a problem. Do you know how hard it has been for students who originally selected the SCM track to change back to going with the OKC Track for whatever reason?

MS2 here. They just sent out a survey for us to officially decide which track we want to join, or to switch if we were unsure. Options were OKC --> OKC, OKC --> Tulsa, and Tulsa --> Tulsa. So really, if you choose OKC track now, you can most likely switch to the Tulsa track later, but if you accept the SCM offer, you will never be able to join the OKC track.

The biggest caveat to switching is you'll have to write an essay on why you want to do Tulsa, if you choose it at a later date (very similar to the essay on the secondary to apply to the SCM program in the first place). There are also only 30 spots in Tulsa, I believe, so if those get filled the summer before first year, any second years who want to apply when the aforementioned survey comes out (Nov/Dec 2nd year) might not get a spot (although up until this point, it hasn't been an issue).

I'm personally in the OKC track, but I've heard really great things about both programs, both from admin and students. One of the opportunities that the Tulsa students are required to attend, but is optional for OKC students is the Summer Institute, which takes place in Tulsa around the first week of August your first year. Basically a week-long experience detailing the wealth-health gradient and disparities in care in underserved areas, and it's a pretty interesting experience for all involved. If you even think you might want to participate, I'd highly recommend it, regardless of whatever track you end up choosing.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me or post something here! Someone will hopefully be able to provide and answer.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any big red envelopes out there today? I can't tell if my mailman hasn't come yet or if we didn't get mail today. I know last year some people in the area got their letters two days after acceptances went out.

Where are some good places to live in the OKC area? I'm looking for a small house that is close to the heart of the city, but far enough from the traffic and crime. Any ideas on nice places that allow for a quick commute to campus?

Where are some good places to live in the OKC area? I'm looking for a small house that is close to the heart of the city, but far enough from the traffic and crime. Any ideas on nice places that allow for a quick commute to campus?

I'm checking into the same thing! Everyone keeps saying the Lincoln at Central Park is where a lot of students live. I checked it out and it's pretty nice. This will likely be a long process lol.

I'm checking into the same thing! Everyone keeps saying the Lincoln at Central Park is where a lot of students live. I checked it out and it's pretty nice. This will likely be a long process lol.
I was thinking potentially the Edmond area? I heard it was a good suburb. Does anyone think a 20 minute drive to campus everyday would be too cumbersome?

One of you should start a Facebook group! Ours is "University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2017" if you want to model it after that. About living options....most students live at the Lincoln near the capitol or the Level downtown. There are houses right next to campus that a few of my classmates live in too, which is really nice because they can walk to class. People do live in Edmond as well, and it's only a hassle when it's icy or you get caught in afternoon traffic. I'm sure my classmates will weigh in on the options and share personal experiences if you start a thread on Facebook!

I was thinking potentially the Edmond area? I heard it was a good suburb. Does anyone think a 20 minute drive to campus everyday would be too cumbersome?

I know several students I have talked to live in Edmond and I have a friend who lived in Edmond while attending school at the HSC. The story is pretty much the same, they really like it and it is a nice suburb, the only downside I ever hear is that it's a minor inconvenience if you have time off between classes or if you are going out with classmates/friends after classes and need to change before going out. I don't think those reasons alone would be enough for me to rule out Edmond, but just sharing the info I have heard.

Reposting from last year's thread:
(*Note: prices will have increased slightly, but should be in the same general range. The possible exception to this being Deep Deuce, as described below)

Here's a general breakdown of the complexes where most students live:

Campus
University Village. 10ish minute walk to class. Offers studio and two bed/one bath apartments. Price is $559/mo for studios, $867/mo for 2br. If you're interested in these, apply now because from what I've heard, they fill up very quickly. The only complaints I've heard is that they're pretty small (not sure about exact square footage, but floor plans are on their website) and the wifi isn't that great.http://village.ou.edu/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

Bricktown
Deep Deuce. 7-8 minute drive to campus. Offers 1 and 2br options. Price varies depending on square footage, floor plan, etc, but expect around $950/mo for a 1br, and $1100-1400/mo for a 2br. Pricey, yes, but within walking distance of Bricktown, Chesapeake area, and very close to I-235 for convenience. http://www.deepdeucebricktown.com
UPDATE December 2013: A friend I know who lives there just told me they're doing "major renovations" and updating all the units. Meaning a significant price increase, but I'm not sure of the exact numbers.

Level Urban Apartments. Right across the street from Deep Deuce. Opened Summer 2012. Offers 1 and 2 br options. Similar to Deep Deuce, except rates are only around $850-900 a month. Level also offers a parking garage, unlike DD, where I believe you have extra for covered parking or a garage. Also a little farther away from the highway (1-2 blocks), which I guess could help with road noise. My take: I've been in a couple of these, and they're really nice. Having a Native Roots Market downstairs is also pretty cool, if you're into natural and locally-grown food. I believe quite a few residents live here as well. http://www.levelokc.com/

Farther from campus
The Lincoln. 4 miles from campus. A majority of my classmates live here compared to the other apartments that I've mentioned (could be due to several factors--availability, perceived convenience, etc). 1, 2, and 3 br options. Prices are variable, but they're pretty much on par with the DD and Level rates. Definitely more square feet for the price, but if you live in a 1 br, that space is almost too much, honestly. Pros, you'll be living with other members of your class, and the apartments are large. Cons, no covered parking; traffic on Lincoln goes past the Capitol, making travel time a little longer; college students also live at the Lincoln, meaning some nights can be a lot louder than others, especially around the pool. http://www.thelincolnatcentralpark.com/

Non-apartments
If you want to live in a house off campus, I suggest living west of I-235, probably around 23rd street. There are a lot of rent houses available; however, some are nice, while some are definitely not. Anything east of 235 is really, really sketch. Just don't do it.

I know there are other places outside of OKC that I've missed, but this is a general overview of where most people I know live within the city itself. There are also condos available downtown, but these are very pricey even compared to apartment rates. Hopefully this gives you a good idea of where to live in OKC. Message or comment if you have any questions; I'll do my best to reply ASAP.

I know several students I have talked to live in Edmond and I have a friend who lived in Edmond while attending school at the HSC. The story is pretty much the same, they really like it and it is a nice suburb, the only downside I ever hear is that it's a minor inconvenience if you have time off between classes or if you are going out with classmates/friends after classes and need to change before going out. I don't think those reasons alone would be enough for me to rule out Edmond, but just sharing the info I have heard.

I agree with this. Lived in Edmond for a while before moving to the Lincoln. Only thing I'd add is that traffic on I-235S is rough in the morning (7:00 hour), which was a problem trying to get to mandatory class at 8:00. Traffic between 8 and 9 isn't as bad tho.

One of you should start a Facebook group! Ours is "University of Oklahoma College of Medicine - Class of 2017" if you want to model it after that. About living options....most students live at the Lincoln near the capitol or the Level downtown. There are houses right next to campus that a few of my classmates live in too, which is really nice because they can walk to class. People do live in Edmond as well, and it's only a hassle when it's icy or you get caught in afternoon traffic. I'm sure my classmates will weigh in on the options and share personal experiences if you start a thread on Facebook!

I will start this thread on Facebook! 35, 4.0 acceptance for me!!

Accepted here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4.0/35/IS

Reactions: 1 users
Congratulations on the acceptances! Welcome to what will likely be the greatest adventure in history!

I will start this thread on Facebook! 35, 4.0 acceptance for me!!

Awesome! I tried to start a group on Facebook, but it wouldn't let me without inviting other friends to join. Unfortunately, I don't know if any of my Facebook friends got accepted so I couldn't start a group :(

Awesome! I tried to start a group on Facebook, but it wouldn't let me without inviting other friends to join. Unfortunately, I don't know if any of my Facebook friends got accepted so I couldn't start a group :(
Well it's up now so you can go join!

Anyone get the big red envelope yet? I have been traveling, and will be doing so again starting this evening, so I was hoping it would have been at the post office, but alas, nothing...

OUmed2017,

Hey Gary,
I want to clarify some information that the MS2 posted. I attended the Summer Institute the week before and was still up in the air about the Tulsa track. However even if I wasn't a part of a Tulsa mod I'd still attend the Summer Institute in a heartbeat. It's fun and gets you excited about starting medical by meeting classmates and immersing yourself in topics that are helpful in the future. As she all mentioned. At any point from 1st to 2nd year you can decide to go the SCM track. Officially you'll have to do the essay (not lengthy) and a brief interview and can be ON the SCM track the beginning of the 1st or 2nd year. Space is a factor but as she mentioned not an issue that's come up before. The cap I think for the students is actually closer to 40 (ish?). For the first years (class of 2017) there's at least 34 who are set on the Tulsa track and they're still accepting to my knowledge. Here's another thing. If you applied to the Tulsa track SCM first and decide otherwise, it's not a deal breaker/you're stuck. You're paying and taking out a lot of money to go to OU and they want you to be happy in your decision. Happy doctors and all that. So it's not like once you're on the Tulsa track (1st year) you're trapped forever... BUT it is difficult with probably paperwork and other hassles to go through so think seriously AND don't think you need to be rushed into a final decision once you start your first year of medical school. I've heard from 4th years that have done the Tulsa track but wanted to do something that was specifically in OKC and they've been able to take some of their fourth year rotations back in OKC. Keep asking questions once you're here on campus. Jim Albertson can also point you in the direction of some upperclassmen for more information, but enjoy your Spring term and Summer and think of the the Summer Institute if you've got the time before school starts.

If you do have anymore questions PM me too, if you would like more info.

OUmed2017,

If you have any questions about the Tulsa track, another great way to get your questions answered is by shadowing/volunteering at the Bedlam Clinic in Tulsa. The clinic is run by volunteer 3rd and 4th year OUSCM students, as well as PA and nursing students with volunteer physicians from the community and faculty from OUSCM. Volunteers typically help set up the clinic and then are free to shadow the med students. The students have always been wonderful about answering questions both about SCM and then my stupid questions that I ask because I'm not medically trained--yet. ("What exactly does neuropathy mean?" "So, I'm guessing she has a history of breast cancer..." "What do you mean, strep has a specific smell?", etc.)

The evening clinic is on Tuesday and Thursday evenings (5-9PM) during most of the year, except when the med students are on break. Volunteers are asked to get there at 4:30, but we usually leave before 9, though I've stayed til 10 before on especially busy nights and to chat with the students after the clinic ends and they're finishing notes. There is also a Longitudinal clinic on Tuesday afternoons, but I haven't shadowed there as recently. They have a bit of a different system, since that's a continued care clinic and E is actue.

I've shadowed at the clinic on holidays (I'm at OU-Norman, so I can't be there all the time :() and can say that it has been one of the best experiences I've ever had. If I'm accepted in February (I was deferred), I am definitely going to go Tulsa track (If they liked me during the SCM interview...) and that decision is primarily motivated by the experiences I've had at Bedlam.

I'm actually not sure how to go about getting a volunteer opportunity set up, because the woman who I first got in contact with no longer has the same position (I started Summer 2012.) But, I think either Meredith Talley ([email protected]) or Jackie Swisher, who is the current but soon-to-be former Bedlam E clinic manager and volunteer coordinator ([email protected]) could point you in the right direction. You'll have to go through HIPAA training and have a current TB test, but, that's always manageable.

I hope this was helpful, or at least interesting to read. Cheers.

Okay, so I know I'm super late on this, what with residency interviews and all, but I thought I'd chime in, since I've lived in Edmond for a while.

It takes about 20 minutes with no traffic to get from the HSC from Edmond, can be as high as 30-40 if traffic's bad. During your first two years, it'll be more of an issue because your commute will fall during rush hour. It was never a problem for me, but I homeschooled. Kind of annoying for required classes, though.

Third year it's not actually too much of an issue, because you'll be driving to the hospital before the roads get busy except for on psych, family med, or during clinic weeks on peds. (And it will seem ABSOLUTELY GLORIOUS that you are driving in late enough to be caught in morning rush hour!) It can be a bummer when your classmates that live closer go home for lunch or during downtime and you're stuck on campus, though.

Fourth year your commute is more variable, depending on what electives you pick.

As someone else has said, the main drawback is that you're far enough out of the city that it's kind of a pain to go to social events, so it's easier to not go and you won't know your classmates as well. The plus is that Edmond is a nice town, with a low crime rate and it's easy to get to campus on 235.

Question for current student: does the curriculum integrate abnormal physiology/pathology within each organ system you study or are those things covered separately?

Question for current student: does the curriculum integrate abnormal physiology/pathology within each organ system you study or are those things covered separately?

Each class covers embryology, histology, relevant anatomy, pathology, microbiology, and pharmacology, with cumulative NBME exams mostly written in an integrative vignette style.

Exceptions to this are the first two classes: Molecular and Cellular Systems (basically rehashing the basics of cell bio and other undergrad prereqs) and Human Structure (i.e. actual anatomy with a cadaver lab). We have another class--Disease, Diagnosis, and Therapy--which is mostly the basics of pharmacology, so I guess that would also count as an exception since it focuses less on path and more on treatment.

The three courses listed above are around 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and 4 weeks, respectively (my memory's a little fuzzy since it's been a year and a half). But everything else is very integrated and we've covered things more than once in each class, making the overlap pretty convenient when trying to put everything together for Step 1 studying.

Each class covers embryology, histology, relevant anatomy, pathology, microbiology, and pharmacology, with cumulative NBME exams mostly written in an integrative vignette style.

Exceptions to this are the first two classes: Molecular and Cellular Systems (basically rehashing the basics of cell bio and other undergrad prereqs) and Human Structure (i.e. actual anatomy with a cadaver lab). We have another class--Disease, Diagnosis, and Therapy--which is mostly the basics of pharmacology, so I guess that would also count as an exception since it focuses less on path and more on treatment.

The three courses listed above are around 5 weeks, 7 weeks, and 4 weeks, respectively (my memory's a little fuzzy since it's been a year and a half). But everything else is very integrated and we've covered things more than once in each class, making the overlap pretty convenient when trying to put everything together for Step 1 studying.

Thank you so much for the information. The curriculum sounds really great. With that in mind, I think I have found my medical school!

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the information. The curriculum sounds really great. With that in mind, I think I have found my medical school!

Awesome! That's a big decision, so congrats!! Hopefully you can come to Second Visit Day as well, even if your mind is already made up. It's a great way to meet upperclassmen and future classmates!

Any news on when we will receive the official letter of acceptance a.k.a the big red envelope?

Any news on when we will receive the official letter of acceptance a.k.a the big red envelope?

Not sure about when the committee meets, but the last day of interviews is this Thursday, 1/16, so hopefully not too much longer.

Is second look weekend opened to the families of the prospective students? By that I mean, can we bring guests who may be curious about OUHSC?

Maybe they're waiting to send out the red envelopes until after final decisions are made so they can send out all of the acceptances in one fell swoop. That way any deferred acceptances will get their big reds, too. All speculation, of course.

Edit: A friend of mine just got a snail-mail letter informing her that she got into the PA program. I know they are completely separate entities, but maybe it is an good omen of things to come?

Last edited:
They told us at our interview (1/14) that the committee doesn't meet until the beginning of February, and Brent said he would imagine we could expect them before mid-February.

I just e-mailed Dotty and she said that they mailed the acceptance letters (from December decisions) this morning!

I just e-mailed Dotty and she said that they mailed the acceptance letters (from December decisions) this morning!

Much excitement! Thanks for the update.

So does anyone know how the mods are assigned? random, based on a questionnaire, alphabetical? Just wondering because I recall some interesting interview questions I received about the use of personality assessments in medical school admissions and how they might apply to OU.

They told us at our interview (1/14) that the committee doesn't meet until the beginning of February, and Brent said he would imagine we could expect them before mid-February.

So about 2 weeks to sit on our hands and keep from being fidgety... I'm not sure I can do it haha...

When is Second Look Day? And has anyone received their big red envelope in the mail yet?

Usually it's held mid to late April (around the third week or so). Not sure about the schedule this year (they haven't told us much).

Is second look weekend opened to the families of the prospective students? By that I mean, can we bring guests who may be curious about OUHSC?

I actually don't know the answer to this question. I didn't have an SO at the time, so it wasn't really an issue for me, but IIRC, the only people I saw there were prospective students. I was also at Second Look last year, and vaguely remember someone bringing their parents, but they weren't present for most of the day and it was by far the exception, not the norm. You could definitely email Dotty when the time arises, but the activities during Second Visit Day are mostly focused on the student experience--getting to meet your future classmates, playing with the simulators at the CSETC, etc. (Also some boring financial stuff which is technically important but it's not quite as fun.)

Much excitement! Thanks for the update.

So does anyone know how the mods are assigned? random, based on a questionnaire, alphabetical? Just wondering because I recall some interesting interview questions I received about the use of personality assessments in medical school admissions and how they might apply to OU.

Mods are assigned randomly, but I've never seen a mod that hasn't gotten along. Each mod has its own personality, and Orientation Week is designed as one big bonding experience. If we're being honest, my mod is probably the only reason I'm still sane.