2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread

Started by JJMrK
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I listed an upper-level bio course as well. I did for all my secondaries. I can't remember though - does Cornell ask to list the grade on the secondary itself?
 
this is a long shot, but would any current students be open to hosting me? i emailed admission about hosting about a month ago but still haven't heard back and my interview is in 2 weeks 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think that might be because some students end up taking a year off to do research, so they graduate the following year.
 
Thanks nemo123. Does anyone have the % chance of acceptance after interview statistic for last year at hand?
 
Just to clarify, Cornell only accepts enough in March to fill the class, right? Then accept off the waitlist.

Or could be a rumor as well.
 
Just to clarify, Cornell only accepts enough in March to fill the class, right? Then accept off the waitlist.

Or could be a rumor as well.

This would mean that they initially accept 101 out of 821 interviewed? That's doubtful, since 317 total are accepted.
 
Does anyone know if it's ok to send multiple "in the area" messages? I sent one to coincide with an interview i had in late October, which they didn't respond to, but now I have another NYC interview scheduled in mid-December. You guys think it's worth sending another one? I was complete 9/25.
 
This would mean that they initially accept 101 out of 821 interviewed? That's doubtful, since 317 total are accepted.

It has to be at least >200. If they accepted exactly 216 interviewees last year in March, that means that almost the whole class is made of people who came off the waitlist (even if some people don't accept Cornell's acceptance offer after being waitlisted in March), which doesn't make sense (I think Cornell's class size is 101?). I'd say they probably accept around 250-270 outright and accept about 40-50 people off the waitlist.
 
Last edited:
Does anyone know if it's ok to send multiple "in the area" messages? I sent one to coincide with an interview i had in late October, which they didn't respond to, but now I have another NYC interview scheduled in mid-December. You guys think it's worth sending another one? I was complete 9/25.
I don't think so. I think that might be construed as pestering to the adcoms. Cornell is really receptive to in the area emails.
 
I don't think so. I think that might be construed as pestering to the adcoms. Cornell is really receptive to in the area emails.
Fair enough. I just figured since my interview was scheduled for only a month after I sent the email they might not have had time to look at my application yet, and that perhaps they might get to it between now and December...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
got an invite here yesterday, interviewing next week.

application complete 8/8, LizzyM 72. full stats are on my MDApps. good luck everyone!

Congrats! That is a crazy turn around time for an interview. Were there special circumstances or is that just what they offered you?
 
Congrats! That is a crazy turn around time for an interview. Were there special circumstances or is that just what they offered you?

Thanks, they just offered a couple options next week and a couple other options a few weeks from now. I dunno what they typically offer but it must be pretty easy for them to fill dates on short notice since so many people live within a couple hours of NYC by car or train. At any rate I was glad to schedule it as soon as possible.
 
hi everyone. did anybody else have an issue with the application being incomplete even after you had submitted it? i called cornell and they said they hadn't received my secondary...
 
Interviewed here today, figured I would share some thoughts. Overall very positive experience and if you get an interview here, you can look forward to a nice low stress day and a very impressive school. Both of my interviews were very friendly and conversational. First interviewer shared my research interests so we just chatted about our work and new ideas for the whole time. Second interviewer was somewhat more formal and had more questions, but still very low pressure conversational environment. Other interviewees reported similar experiences.
  • The facilities are beautiful and there is definitely a sense that money is never an issue, including for study abroad experiences and student interest clubs.

  • The school does not have a touchy-feely mission along the lines of "tending to the poor and invalid with compassion" like some other schools. More emphasis on "thinking big" to solve problems.

  • It's not on their website yet but they are overhauling the curriculum to start clinical rotations halfway through 2nd year and switching the preclinical years to a systems-based approach that teaches abnormal biology at the same time as normal biology. You take Step 1 whenever you want. Basically you schedule a Step 1 study block in place of a clinical rotation.

  • I couldn't find information online about an MD/MPH program but they said today that they do offer a 5 year MD/MPH with Columbia's Mailman School of Public Health (a top 5 PH school) which is basically open enrollment for Weill Cornell students.
 
Just rejected pre-interview via email this morning. Good luck to everyone else!
 
  • It's not on their website yet but they are overhauling the curriculum to start clinical rotations halfway through 2nd year and switching the preclinical years to a systems-based approach that teaches abnormal biology at the same time as normal biology. You take Step 1 whenever you want. Basically you schedule a Step 1 study block in place of a clinical rotation.

Are they for sure switching by next year now? When I was there in September, they said they weren't sure if they were switching or not for next years class.
 
Are they for sure switching by next year now? When I was there in September, they said they weren't sure if they were switching or not for next years class.

Really? They said on our day (in September also) that those changes would most likely be for our class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are they for sure switching by next year now? When I was there in September, they said they weren't sure if they were switching or not for next years class.

Yeah they made it seem pretty certain that the changes would be made for next year. It seemed like there were still some details being figured out but the big changes are in place for the next class.