You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2013-2014 Weill Cornell Medical College Application Thread
Started by JJMrK
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Did anyone send an in the area and get a response called "Your Trip to New York" that was not an interview invite?
Yes. Got that email the same day and then interview invite 2 days later. If they want to invite you they probably wait until the day they plan to send invites to a group of people. Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Did anyone send an in the area and get a response called "Your Trip to New York" that was not an interview invite?
Yes. Got that email the same day and then interview invite 2 days later. If they want to invite you they probably wait until the day they plan to send invites to a group of people. Good luck!
What halfandhalf said. Got the same email when I sent an in the area back at the beginning of the month. Unfortunately, haven't been as quick getting an II. Hopefully, I can see one soon!
Congrats to everyone with an II! Do they happen to still have late October dates open?
Yes, I just scheduled mine for the 30th of October a few days ago. The other dates near the end of the month were the 24th and 29th.
Rejected today pre-interview. Best of luck to all.
I've been complete since late July so mine is probably coming soon. At least they give closure instead of stringing you along for months.
Rejected today pre-interview. Complete late July. Best of luck to all.
Stats?
Rejected just now. Complete August 19th. Womp womp. I think I would be a lot sadder if I didn't get an II from Columbia earlier today.
Just got an invite earlier today!
and @rocdiva - sorry to hear that. But Columbia! Awesomeee!!!!!!! I loved my interview day there! Good luck!
Thanks 🙂
Hey ! Congrats to all of you guys who got invited !!
I would really appreciate if you guys can briefly share your thoughts regarding my application for next year
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT (12/10/13 - 35)
- 2-3 years of research experience
- 1 publication, a few abstracts and posters
- 700+ hospital volunteering
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out 🙂 Thanks
I would really appreciate if you guys can briefly share your thoughts regarding my application for next year
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT (12/10/13 - 35)
- 2-3 years of research experience
- 1 publication, a few abstracts and posters
- 700+ hospital volunteering
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out 🙂 Thanks
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't get people like this ^
edited
Last edited:
I don't get people like this ^
I think they just want someone to make them feel good about themselves

I'm pretty sure they all know they'll do just fine.
I think they just want someone to make them feel good about themselves
I'm pretty sure they all know they'll do just fine.
I'm really sorry but I think there is a misunderstanding - I'm being 100% honest and not trying to be rude or to waste your time. I'm just wondering if I have any chances? I'm from Canada tho. So do you think I will be fine and should apply?
I'm really sorry but I think there is a misunderstanding - I'm being 100% honest and not trying to be rude or to waste your time. I'm just wondering if I have any chances? I'm from Canada tho. So do you think I will be fine and should apply?
of course! numbers certainly won't be the reason you're rejected (god forbid). I think you have a fair shot pretty much anywhere given that you're story/persona clearly illustrate a strong passion for studying medicine.
in short, you'll be fine bro
Hey ! Congrats to all of you guys who got invited !!
I would really appreciate if you guys can briefly share your thoughts regarding my application for next year
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT (12/10/13 - 35)
- 2-3 years of research experience
- 1 publication, a few abstracts and posters
- 700+ hospital volunteering
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out 🙂 Thanks
Everyone should apply early and apply to a mix of 12-25 schools. That's what I recommend for you. I'd tell you to start a "What's my chances?" thread, but they might not like you over there.
thank you for your honest response! I've been very worried lately due to residency restrictions, I just found that Weill Cornel Medical School is private and doesn't make a distinction
My biggest weakness is that I have completed a 3-year bachelor program (instead of 4) and I've not been taking courses at a maximum load (i.e. I didn't take 5 courses / semester, I only took 3-4) - would you be able to comment on that too? Does that decrease my chances significantly?
Thanks again for your help 🙂
My biggest weakness is that I have completed a 3-year bachelor program (instead of 4) and I've not been taking courses at a maximum load (i.e. I didn't take 5 courses / semester, I only took 3-4) - would you be able to comment on that too? Does that decrease my chances significantly?
Thanks again for your help 🙂
Everyone should apply early and apply to a mix of 12-25 schools. That's what I recommend for you. I'd tell you to start a "What's my chances?" thread, but they might not like you over there.
thanks a lot for your reply. I think being a Canadian resident lowers my chances in pretty much a lot of places and my only 'fair' chances are the private schools? Am I wrong?
thanks a lot for your reply. I think being a Canadian resident lowers my chances in pretty much a lot of places and my only 'fair' chances are the private schools? Am I wrong?
This is really not the appropriate place on this forum for a detailed discussion of your chances. If you want people to weigh in on your application specifically, make a thread in the 'what are my chances?' forum.
On topic, I interviewed at Cornell recently and loved it. Only downside I see is having to wait until March for a decision!
Hey ! Congrats to all of you guys who got invited !!
I would really appreciate if you guys can briefly share your thoughts regarding my application for next year
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT (12/10/13 - 35)
- 2-3 years of research experience
- 1 publication, a few abstracts and posters
- 700+ hospital volunteering
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out 🙂 Thanks
Don't mean to call you out...but you said you had a 33 in the Columbia thread...
Don't mean to call you out...but you said you had a 33 in the Columbia thread...
On that note, I'd like to revise my response.
Hey ! Congrats to all of you guys who got invited !!
I would really appreciate if you guys can briefly share your thoughts regarding my application for next year
- GPA: 4.0
- MCAT (12/10/13 - 35)
- 2-3 years of research experience
- 1 publication, a few abstracts and posters
- 700+ hospital volunteering
I would really appreciate if you guys can help me out 🙂 Thanks
Na, no shot bro. Your GPA is too low.
don't mean to call you out...but you said you had a 33 in the columbia thread...
lol.
Don't mean to call you out...but you said you had a 33 in the Columbia thread...
Maybe he retook it between posts? lol
lol exact kind of thing I was pointing to. I just don't understand.....but oh well
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Maybe he retook it between posts? lol
Haha. Or maybe he hasn't even taken it yet.
oh man cornells sending out rejections already? ahhh 😱
Why do you think that?oh man cornells sending out rejections already? ahhh 😱
Why do you think that?
Probably has something to do with the fact that people are receiving rejections lately but I'm not too entirely sure.
Looking at last year's thread around this time, there's about to be an onslaught of rejections this coming week followed by II's.
hi errbody, am i correct in my understanding that peeps at weill get immediate patient exposure? looking over da currculummmz
anyone here get II with <3.7 and <35 and non-URM? trying to convince myself that I wouldn't have received and II if I had applied to schools like cornell (rank 10-20)..
I have a 33 but a ~3.9. There's no way you could know one way or the other. It would have depended heavily on the strength of the rest of your application.
I have a 33 but a ~3.9. There's no way you could know one way or the other. It would have depended heavily on the strength of the rest of your application.
Ehh yea, I guess ill just be satisfied with what I have. My advisor said I under applied in terms of school rank/tiers so I'm just a little sad that I coulda applied to 5-7 more reaches and tested my luck instead of 5-7 random schools that I picked that had the lowest numbers on msar..
for the challenges question, is it ok to talk about an ethical challenge rather than a personal challenge?
edit: jk talking about an academic challenge, so my q is irrelevant.
edit: jk talking about an academic challenge, so my q is irrelevant.
Last edited:
Rejected: 10/4
secondary submitted: 9/3
CA resident, 32MCAT, URM, 3.75sGPA
Good luck to everyone still in the race
secondary submitted: 9/3
CA resident, 32MCAT, URM, 3.75sGPA
Good luck to everyone still in the race
Is there any way to contact them and find out why I got rejected pre interview... I know stats aren't everything but I have a 3.8 and a 37 MCAT, I figured that would usually get me a second look. Is there a way I can find out why I was rejected?
You are almost certainly going to be accepted to several great schools and when that happens you will forget all about the rejections. The "why" would only be important if you were rejected everywhere and wanted to reapply.
Rejected: 10/4
secondary submitted: 9/3
CA resident, 32MCAT, URM, 3.75sGPA
Good luck to everyone still in the race
uh oh... Looks like my head is on the chopping block next (ss 9/8 sc 9/9)!! 😛
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You are almost certainly going to be accepted to several great schools and when that happens you will forget all about the rejections. The "why" would only be important if you were rejected everywhere and wanted to reapply.
Yeah I guess that's true... Cornell was probably my top choice though, so I'm pretty disappointed about this one.
Does that mean I'm on hold if I submitted my secondary in August and haven't heard anything?
Does that mean I'm on hold if I submitted my secondary in August and haven't heard anything?
yea...i have the same question...😕
Hi guys, do you think it is ok for me to fill out 1 upper level biology class i took instead of general bio class for the biology requirement in the secondary? The other two are general biology. I did really well in a really hard upper level class so would want them to see that....
I'm thinking this is ok since the requirement is just to have the class be bio, right?
I'm thinking this is ok since the requirement is just to have the class be bio, right?
Ditto, nearly identical stats + URM statusRejected: 10/4
secondary submitted: 9/3
CA resident, 32MCAT, URM, 3.75sGPA
Good luck to everyone still in the race
Pretty bummed, I thought Cornell was a great match for me 🙁
EDIT: Good luck to everyone 🙂