2014-2015 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. [2000 Characters]

2. How will becoming a Creighton educated physician enable you to achieve your lifetime goals and/or aspirations? [2000 Characters]

3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. [2000 Characters]

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here. One of my top choices!

How are the research opportunities here?

I'm applying here this cycle. I'm really excited about this school! Are there any current medical students willing to dish out some secondary/interview advice?

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an incoming M1, so I haven't actually been at school at Creighton, but I was accepted this past cycle, so I can offer some advice, for what it is worth!

Creighton seems to LOVE an interest in service and volunteering, they were much more interested in that than in my medical shadowing and three years of research experience. Try to highlight service, whether medical or non-medical, in both your secondary and your interview if you get one. They also like REAL people, so be yourself during your interview. Also know a little bit about the school and why it appeals to you. They also love updates, they show a continuing interest in the school. I was accepted outright after my interview, but have been told that if you get put on the wait list after an interview, send in updates because the committee does look at them. And the school has a policy of open hours on Thursdays, I believe, so you can call and talk to Garland Jarmon or Dr. Quinn and they will go over parts of an application that may need more (ie more volunteering, more research, etc). The whole staff at Creighton seemed very helpful and friendly! Also, if you interview stay with a current student through the hosting program, my host was really friendly and informative about Creighton.

Hope this helps and good luck. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I'm an incoming M1, so I haven't actually been at school at Creighton, but I was accepted this past cycle, so I can offer some advice, for what it is worth!

Creighton seems to LOVE an interest in service and volunteering, they were much more interested in that than in my medical shadowing and three years of research experience. Try to highlight service, whether medical or non-medical, in both your secondary and your interview if you get one. They also like REAL people, so be yourself during your interview. Also know a little bit about the school and why it appeals to you. They also love updates, they show a continuing interest in the school. I was accepted outright after my interview, but have been told that if you get put on the wait list after an interview, send in updates because the committee does look at them. And the school has a policy of open hours on Thursdays, I believe, so you can call and talk to Garland Jarmon or Dr. Quinn and they will go over parts of an application that may need more (ie more volunteering, more research, etc). The whole staff at Creighton seemed very helpful and friendly! Also, if you interview stay with a current student through the hosting program, my host was really friendly and informative about Creighton.

Hope this helps and good luck. :)

Where can you access the host program?

And does anyone know any other schools that have host programs? That's really awesome.

If you get an interview, the school will email you asking if you would like a student host while you are there! It is less expensive than a hotel and much more informative!

In addition to a committee letter, "other persons" may write you letters of recommendation. How many would be a reasonable number to submit?

I mean probably 2 or 3. But only if they offer insight into you as a candidate that no other letter will.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd base it on how they know you. Like if your committee letter is made up of a few of your professors you probably shouldn't send letters from more professors. I'd say a good rule of thumb is one for everything substantial you do (job, volunteer gig, etc.).

Just got the secondary invite!

what are your stats? i applied too and i'm wondering if everyone gets it or if they're prescreened or something else bc I didn't get one yet.

3.7 gpa, 32 MCAT

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure Creighton doesn't screen... I was verified June 10th so that may be part of it.

I don't think they screen either, but I was verified June 8th! (That said, I am waiting on an MCAT score still)

Their app doesn't go out until the 1st.

I'm pretty sure Creighton doesn't screen... I was verified June 10th so that may be part of it.

o.0 i was verified june 3rd. it's weird i didnt get one.

o.0 i was verified june 3rd. it's weird i didnt get one.
No need to worry:

AMCAS forwards all verified applications to the medical schools applicants designate. Applicants who submit a verified AMCAS application to Creighton are invited, by email, to complete the Creighton Secondary Application Process. This process begins July 1st.

No need to worry:

AMCAS forwards all verified applications to the medical schools applicants designate. Applicants who submit a verified AMCAS application to Creighton are invited, by email, to complete the Creighton Secondary Application Process. This process begins July 1st.

I received a secondary this afternoon. Here are the prompts:

1. Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. [2000 Characters]

2. How will becoming a Creighton educated physician enable you to achieve your lifetime goals and/or aspirations? [2000 Characters]

3. Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. [2000 Characters]

Last edited:
Hey kids,

I know it says July 1, but I just got my secondary too. Best of luck to you all.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey kids,

I know it says July 1, but I just got my secondary too. Best of luck to you all.

Just got their secondary a few minutes ago as well :). Awesome, I'm so glad I prewrote these.

Just me being pre-cautious, but there is not hidden mission statement I should be aware of with Creighton, correct? I know it's a private catholic school, but I'm not religious, nor do I ever intend to be. It says they don't discriminate against religion, but I just wouldn't want it to come in an interview. Just want to make sure before I submit my secondary and spend $95.

Your religion does not play a role. I hear it is more important for undergrad.

3.6 cGPA, 3.3 sGPA, 33 MCAT, minor IA

-received secondary today!

"Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student."

I will be full time in fall/spring... but not exactly now currently in the summer... am I supposed to talk about what I'm doing for the summer?

"Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student."

I will be full time in fall/spring... but not exactly now currently in the summer... am I supposed to talk about what I'm doing for the summer?

I think they want our summer plans/work- that's what I'm planning to talk about

My read on this one was that is was asking more about what you'll be doing if you've already graduated. If you're enrolled for fall/spring, you're still a full-time student, you're just on break. If you're enrolled for fall/spring, they know what you'll be doing with yourself for the next year. If you've graduated already, they want to know how you're making use of your time.

Yeah I figured it was aimed more at those who were taking a gap year. I think I'm going to explain what I'm doing with my summer, even though I'll be a senior in the fall. Figure it's a good way to show that you're not just sitting on your rump playing video games in your time off.

Were there any other questions for the secondary?
Should be three questions:

Please describe your current activities/employment if you are not currently enrolled as a fulltime student. (2000 characters max)

How will becoming a Creighton educated physician enable you to achieve your lifetime goals and/or aspirations? (2000 characters max)

Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2000 characters max)

Anyone else having issues where it reverts changes to your essays after you edit them and save them? It displays correctly until I navigate away from the tab and then it reverts to a previous version.

Nevermind. Figured it out. It is an error with their character counter. For some reason the software adds on 4 characters after you navigate away from the page and causes essays in the 1996-2000 character range to get reverted. So beware of that.

Got the secondary last night! It's the first one I got so I'm pretty excited :)

So I am having trouble distinguishing between these two prompts:
How will becoming a Creighton educated physician enable you to achieve your lifetime goals and/or aspirations? (2000 characters max)
Please state your reasons for applying to Creighton University School of Medicine. (2000 characters max)

I answered the second one, but I feel that by explaining why I am applying here, I am already explaining my lifetime goals and aspirations. The reason I am applying is to achieve those goals. Help would be appreciated. :)

So I am having trouble distinguishing between these two prompts:

I answered the second one, but I feel that by explaining why I am applying here, I am already explaining my lifetime goals and aspirations. The reason I am applying is to achieve those goals. Help would be appreciated. :)
I took prompt one to mean "What does Creighton have to offer you?" and prompt two to mean "How does Creighton help you achieve you goals?". So in number one I focussed on curriculum and such while in number two I focussed on how Creighton could make me be a successful physician. But there definitely is a lot of overlap.

"How will becoming a Creighton educated physician enable you to achieve your lifetime goals and/or aspirations?"

Why am I struggling so much with this question.. ugh. Probably because the first question already seemed to answer it.

Reactions: 5 users
Is anyone else experiencing troubles saving your essays? My essays will save when I press the "save changes" button until I go on the other tabs and come back and see that nothing was saved at all. I tried this on both Chrome and Internet Explorer; same issue =/

EDIT: nvm, I somehow got it to save when I did it paragraph by paragraph, weird...

Last edited:
So what is the general consensus about the question regarding student status?

struggling with these questions more than any other secondary

Will Creighton even look at the application before all the letters of recommendation are in? I am still waiting on mine to come in...

Having such a hard time with this secondary - can anyone else elaborate on what makes Creighton unique? These "Why here?" questions are so hard for me!!!