2014-2015 Creighton University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Having such a hard time with this secondary - can anyone else elaborate on what makes Creighton unique? These "Why here?" questions are so hard for me!!!
Everything I read about them hammers home the themes of collaboration and service learning. That's what I wrote about. Creighton is a Jesuit school. Even if you aren't Catholic, I bet you could write about how the Jesuit philosophy meshes with your own.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For the 2nd prompt: I found a portion of the mission statement that hit home to my passions and career goals. Then I focused on how that principle and Creighton's environment would translate to my growth as a well-rounded physician and community member.

Just got verified by AMCAS and therefore just received the Creighton secondary. Glad to be here with you all!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dilemma time... My school doesn't do a pre med committee letter, and I didn't ask my pre med advisor for a letter. Truth be told I've met with her once for 30 min and it was pretty standard pre med stuff. Gah what to do!?

Dilemma time... My school doesn't do a pre med committee letter, and I didn't ask my pre med advisor for a letter. Truth be told I've met with her once for 30 min and it was pretty standard pre med stuff. Gah what to do!?
How many letters do you have overall?

Disregard, in my pre-MCAT anxiety (I took it this morning) I misread the options for letters. I will simply use the Form 2 option
  • Two letters from science professors from courses you completed for academic credit, and/or science professors who directed your science research for academic credit
  • Note: Lab research work does not qualify unless you received academic credit for the course
  • One letter from a professor whose non-science course you completed for academic credit

The whole "non-science" professor letter was not in my plans. I already have six letters and three more from last year, yet none is from a non-science professor... Last good option I have was a Spanish professor from 2+ years ago. Oh well...I may withdraw if I can't get in touch with him.

Are you employed? Typically, your boss can serve as a good letter writer with some weight if you have a good relationship.

Are you employed? Typically, your boss can serve as a good letter writer with some weight if you have a good relationship.
Yes, I'm employed, but the school requires a "letter from a professor whose non-science course you completed for academic credit."

Gotcha, didn't specifically look at that. That's rough. Try calling to see if they have any advice or recourse for people who graduated 2-3 years ago?

They have different letter requirements for non-traditional students (they consider students who graduated 3+ years ago as non-trad). I graduated this past December, but took the particular Spanish class 2+ years ago. Anyway, since they will take extra letters I might just get an average non-science letter and hope the other letters make up for it.

Anybody have their letters verified by Creighton yet? I've been "Unknown" since 06/29.

Members don't see this ad :)
does anyone know if this school's admission does a holistic review of the primary app?

does anyone know if this school's admission does a holistic review of the primary app?
I'm confused by your question. All medical school admissions are dictated by a holistic review. It is in no way based solely on numbers, especially at a school like Creighton that is so keen on service.

Do you mean prior to sending secondary invitations? If that's what you mean, then no, they don't screen pre-secondary

Anybody have their letters verified by Creighton yet? I've been "Unknown" since 06/29.

I just checked my status and it looks like they finally uploaded my letters from AMCAS on Friday!

Hey, guys, they must be reviewing our letters now. Under the "Meets Req." heading, my letters just went from "Unknown" to "Yes."

Hey, guys, they must be reviewing our letters now. Under the "Meets Req." heading, my letters just went from "Unknown" to "Yes."
I have that and they are classified. So I'm complete.

Same here, been 2 weeks since completion. They state 3-4 weeks though.

We seem to be about a week ahead of last year. So maybe II a week earlier? Hmmmm???

I wonder why mine haven't been classified yet? Hmmm..... Maybe it's because I'm considered a nontrad applicant by their standards?

Hi all, rising MS1 at Creighton here just dropping in to wish everyone goodluck! :luck:

Also, to those people stressing about the difference between the secondary questions, this video might help you in your research of what makes Creighton so unique and special. http://winstream.creighton.edu/som/6392.wmv

The way I interpreted it, one question is focused more on YOU and YOUR GOALS, and the other question should be focused more on what Creighton has to offer. (In no particular order I forget which is which ;) ) Of course both your responses should highlight just how good of a fit you'd be at this school. If you take your time and really think about it, it's actually an easier prompt than most other "why this school?" secondaries (mainly because most schools are either public schools or private secular schools).

I took a long time to start this secondary, but once I did it flowed pretty easily within a couple hours. Do your homework and reflect on your personality!

Last edited:
Hi SDN community! I am back to share my experiences. It all started with a 2 hour delay in Denver (my connecting flight), but alas, I made it to Omaha! My host picked me up at the airport and we went back to her condo downtown. It was just me and her which was awesome! I had the entire morning of my interview day to get ready, no fighting with 5 girls for the bathroom (what I had expected lol). The evening before my interview, we went to the student hosted dinner and I met several M2's along with several interviewees. Note to interviewees: try to look excited to be there and engage in the convo regardless of the topic. Some looked bored to death! The dinner was excellent, I had something called gnudi which was a lot like gnocchi, but filled with cheese and covered in pesto; I highly recommend this plate (it was a special for the interview group). I had a glass of wine which helped me relax; I strongly advise taking this route, no one will judge you..at least my host didn't, I bought her a celebratory glass for passing her Friday quiz : ) We got ice cream with M2’s where I learned a lot about their various trips (India, Guatemala, Ghana, etc.) abroad through Project Cura (roughly half of all medical students do these service trips the summer between M1 and M2). After ice cream, we went back and my host and I chatted for nearly 2 hours about Creighton and all it has to offer! Did I mention how awesome my host was??! Okay, the day you all want to hear about: the interview day. My host drove me to school at 7:30 am and breakfast started at 8 which included fruit, cold bagels, interesting tasting coffee, and bottled juices. Dr. Quinn gave us a motivational speech prior to interviewing which helped followed by a financial aid presentation by Mr. Jarmon. In the financial aid portion we learned to not buy coffee during medical school as there will be plenty around campus. Mr. Jarmon even offered us to stop by his office as medical students to enjoy his morning leftovers lol Everyone on the interview list had 2 morning interviews between 10 and 12, one with a student and one with a faculty member. My faculty member acted as if he hadn’t read my file or had forgotten everything in it which was definitely a bummer, but I tried to tell him as much as he would let me…he talked about himself and his research a bit too much…so I only got to discuss a few points..eh, he has my app; at least he was nice. As for the student interviewer, he was very friendly! He asked me to tell him about myself, but stopped me midsentence to remind me he had my file and read it, not that I was doing poorly just that he wanted me to know that before I kept going. I hope he meant it when he followed that up with, “You are doing well.” We talked about my hospice volunteering which he did also; I felt we hit it off on that topic, a BIG passion of mine. Of course they both asked why medicine, but surprisingly neither asked me why Creighton. The question that seems so easy now that I struggled with then was, “What have you done with and for people?” I only pointed out a few things, but wish I had went down the list. Practically everything I do is with and for people!!! Ahhh, oh well. He also asked me to describe myself in three words, tough one! I used happy as one lol I was insanely happy to be there and am an extremely happy person in general. Seems like a juvenile answer in retrospect. After the interviews, we took a shuttle to the medical center and the actual medical school (our actual interviews were held in an admin building or something). The tour of the hospital was done by an M3 who talked insanely quite so I was practically leaning in her face to hear her. As for the hospital, very few patients around…maybe because it was a Saturday? It was eerie, still it seemed nice. An M1 led our tour of the medical school and undergraduate amenities which we could use. Seemed like an awesome undergrad, lots of cool study spots. As for the medical school, it seemed like what I would expect. Not super high tech, but it will get the job done well! We took a tour of the lecture hall, student lounge, anatomy lab (the M1’s were studying for their practical), testing room, small group rooms, etc. The school seemed very student orientated which was nice. Not sure how I felt about the tests being computer-based… my host seemed to think it hurt her in the sense that being given multiple choice exams she didn’t have to know how to spell or pronounce anything, she only had to be able to recognize the letters. I’m not religious, but the church on campus was absolutely beautiful! I would keep going, but I am headed to Miami for another interview. I hope this was informative, please ask if you have any questions! Good luck everyone!

Quote from last year's thread from a student who recently attended her interview. This really got me excited about the school!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi all, rising MS1 at Creighton here just dropping in to wish everyone goodluck! :luck:

Also, to those people stressing about the difference between the secondary questions, this video might help you in your research of what makes Creighton so unique and special. http://winstream.creighton.edu/som/6392.wmv

The way I interpreted it, one question is focused more on YOU and YOUR GOALS, and the other question should be focused more on what Creighton has to offer. (In no particular order I forget which is which ;) ) Of course both your responses should highlight just how good of a fit you'd be at this school. If you take your time and really think about it, it's actually an easier prompt than most other "why this school?" secondaries (mainly because most schools are either public schools or private secular schools).

I took a long time to start this secondary, but once I did it flowed pretty easily within a couple hours. Do your homework and reflect on your personality!

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

I know you have yet to start school, but perhaps you could answer some questions...

1. Do you have any idea about clinical opportunities during the first two years?? Like volunteering at a free clinic, etc.?
2. How do their clinical rotations stack up? How would you compare their facilities to other schools you have seen?
3. I have heard about Project Cura, but what other kinda of service and/or travel abroad opportunities do they have?
4. Lastly, how much is there "to do" in Omaha? I know medical school is busy, but I value the opportunity to have fun and relieve some stress when i have downtime, as I'm sure everyone else does!!

thanks in advance for any help!!

Quote from last year's thread from a student who recently attended her interview. This really got me excited about the school!!!
Very detailed, thanks for finding+ posting this! And TY to DocOpotamus for the detailed description! Now I need to start on this secondary so I can submit
-__-

Hey, thanks for stopping by!

I know you have yet to start school, but perhaps you could answer some questions...

1. Do you have any idea about clinical opportunities during the first two years?? Like volunteering at a free clinic, etc.?
2. How do their clinical rotations stack up? How would you compare their facilities to other schools you have seen?
3. I have heard about Project Cura, but what other kinda of service and/or travel abroad opportunities do they have?
4. Lastly, how much is there "to do" in Omaha? I know medical school is busy, but I value the opportunity to have fun and relieve some stress when i have downtime, as I'm sure everyone else does!!

thanks in advance for any help!!
1. I'm planning on volunteering with the student-run clinic (Magis clinic)
2. The new hospital should be ready in time for your clinical rotations. Plus you have the option of doing rotations in Phoenix instead
3. There's the Institute for Latin American Concern (ILAC). Lots of opportunities compared to some other school in interviewed at, I'm looking forward to going abroad on service trips!
4. When I visited I noticed that 'Old Market District' was pretty fun for eating out/nightlife. I'm already signed up for a race in late August (distance runner). To be honest I'm not too sure though, I'm looking forward to exploring Omaha for myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
They said specifically on the status check page that they would send us an email when our app was complete, but all my letters are in and they all have a "yes" under meets requirements. Does this mean I'm complete?

They said specifically on the status check page that they would send us an email when our app was complete, but all my letters are in and they all have a "yes" under meets requirements. Does this mean I'm complete?
Never mind, I jumped the gun...just got the complete email as well!

gonna try to send this secondary by Saturday. I've been sitting on it for a week now, doesn't seem like a hard secondary but idk why i just can't finish it as fast as i did the other ones!

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying this year so I don't know a lot of school-specific stuff, but I've been living in Omaha most of my life so if anyone has specific questions about the city, let me know. :) The Old Market/downtown area has a lot of bars/restaurants and it's pretty close to the Creighton campus, but Omaha is sprawling and there are different vibes in different parts of the city. Good luck to everyone!

Submitted my application earlier today. Looks like an awesome place to be! I really would love to go here :)

Was wondering how late I am in the process if I'm still awaiting to submit my application to AMCAS? I'm waiting for two rec letters to be received as well, I don't want to submit the application if this one science professor forgot to write me the letter (i've emailed her and no reply twice now).

Also, my stats are on the lower end of applicants OOS (3.5 cGPA 3.2sGPA, first MCAT 25, retaking in september). I have about 100+ hours of volunteer work at an outpatient pharmacy in a hospital (and growing), 50+ hours of volunteer work at my parish, 8 hours of volunteer work for Alliance of the Great Lakes, and 5 hours of shadowing an ophthalmologist (the dr. really liked me and seems to be offering me a technician job this week).

On the whole what do some of you think about my application at face value?
Retake MCAT and submit next year.. I was in your position last year and it didn't go well for me..

PS: You didn't have to post in a million threads -_- you could have just started your own thread..

Retake MCAT and submit next year.. I was in your position last year and it didn't go well for me..

PS: You didn't have to post in a million threads -_- you could have just started your own thread..

good advice. though at this point giving it the best shot you can cant hurt if you've got the funds.

Didn't think about that, oops. Guess i didn't want to be a new poster to submit a thread as my first posts. Thanks though

good advice. though at this point giving it the best shot you can cant hurt if you've got the funds.
Only to DO though. 25 on the MCAT is low for MD schools. Also, Sept MCAT wud be too late since scores wud be released in Oct.. And he/she wud need to score phenomenally (33-35+) to get the attention from MD schools.

Didn't think about that, oops. Guess i didn't want to be a new poster to submit a thread as my first posts. Thanks though
That's okay. But seriously, concentrate on doing well on your MCAT retake and apply first day next cycle + get all your LORs ready b4 hand.

That's okay. But seriously, concentrate on doing well on your MCAT retake and apply first day next cycle + get all your LORs ready b4 hand.

A worry I have about bypassing the application process this time around is the new pre-reqs schools will/may have with the changes to the MCAT taking place next year. I'm thinking of applying to both MD and DO this cycle. Would you still suggest to hold off, get some more shadowing hours in (that would be easy for me to accomplish with that same doctor) and get a job in a clinical setting such as a technician?

A worry I have about bypassing the application process this time around is the new pre-reqs schools will/may have with the changes to the MCAT taking place next year. I'm thinking of applying to both MD and DO this cycle. Would you still suggest to hold off, get some more shadowing hours in (that would be easy for me to accomplish with that same doctor) and get a job in a clinical setting such as a technician?
Yeah, that is def a concern. But you rather take the prerequisites than take the new MCAT! If you have taken classes like: biochemistry, sociology, statistics you should be in okay shape for most schools for next cycle (don't quote me on that tho lol). The thing I am concerned about is that, you need to realize that even if you get a good score late in the cycle you may still not get into MD schools bc of your late application. You could get into DO schools, but then you would have to be okay going that route without second thoughts. So that is your call.. Clinical setting job sounds good + shadow a DO to cover your bases.

Yeah, that is def a concern. But you rather take the prerequisites than take the new MCAT! If you have taken classes like: biochemistry, sociology, statistics you should be in okay shape for most schools for next cycle (don't quote me on that tho lol). The thing I am concerned about is that, you need to realize that even if you get a good score late in the cycle you may still not get into MD schools bc of your late application. You could get into DO schools, but then you would have to be okay going that route without second thoughts. So that is your call.. Clinical setting job sounds good + shadow a DO to cover your bases.

I've taken sociology/statistics but have not taken biochemistry or molecular biology. And I'd definitely prefer taking those new pre-reqs than take the new MCAT over again (and at that point, it would be my 3rd time). I did not want to post-pone applying til next year but it seems like a more realistic scenario now.

Last edited: