-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
If it does, it hasn't been updated. The white coat ceremony was last friday, and 3.6, 31+ were the stats for our incoming class.Their website says 3.44/30 didn't they?
Oh boy.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good job ccantr10. Anyone getting OOS interviews with a 3.5/30 stat set?
He is the first OOS interview I've seen.Good job ccantr10. Anyone getting OOS interviews with a 3.5/30 stat set?
Good job ccantr10. Anyone getting OOS interviews with a 3.5/30 stat set?
Yes I am close to these stats and got an OOS II. There is hope for the underdogs.
Those who have received an interview invite, when were you complete? I am OOS, 3.9cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 33 MCAT and I haven't heard anything. I believe I was complete August 12th since I was awaiting my MCAT score.
Finally called and I am not complete (yet) due to a formality. They needed proof of my IRTA fellowship...so I sent that in. Fingers crossed for a complete email soon!
Still waiting on the complete email. I am still in the process of submitting even more documentation just to prove I am in-state. Almost considering retracting my in-state privileges...
Same here. My stats are similar to those receiving ii, so I've got my fingers crossed...
I've been complete since 7/22 and no update 🙁
Those who have received an interview invite, when were you complete? I am OOS, 3.9cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 33 MCAT and I haven't heard anything. I believe I was complete August 12th since I was awaiting my MCAT score.
I was complete since back in July sometime.
Those who have received an interview invite, when were you complete? I am OOS, 3.9cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 33 MCAT and I haven't heard anything. I believe I was complete August 12th since I was awaiting my MCAT score.
Never received a complete email. Submitted secondary mid-July
Those who have received an interview invite, when were you complete? I am OOS, 3.9cGPA, 3.9sGPA, 33 MCAT and I haven't heard anything. I believe I was complete August 12th since I was awaiting my MCAT score.
I was complete 8/1, but keep in mind that I'm IS. Also update on my interview status: I scheduled it for mid-September.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
II, OOS (CA), LizzyM ~70
How annoying is it to have to call in to schedule the interview...
They're sending invites on a Saturday?
II, OOS (CA), LizzyM ~70
How annoying is it to have to call in to schedule the interview...
As someone with no II, I'd be thrilled to call in and schedule an interview....
II, OOS (CA), LizzyM ~70
How annoying is it to have to call in to schedule the interview...
#firstworldproblems
II, OOS (CA), LizzyM ~70
How annoying is it to have to call in to schedule the interview...
Just figured I'd mention your communication during the call reflects on your file...If you catch my drift.
They're sending invites on a Saturday?
No I got it last week during work but I've been busy
Just figured I'd mention your communication during the call reflects on your file...If you catch my drift.
How much can they really expect to garner from a phone call?
No I got it last week during work but I've been busy
How much can they really expect to garner from a phone call?
Respectfully, many people that work considerably hard and are well qualified do not get interviews. Getting one is a privilege worth any work involved.
Attitude can be assessed during a phone call. The same attribute that is sought during the interview is not only subconsciously considered during all communication with admissions staff, it is actively looked for. For example, if someone were to (even innocently, to say...make small talk) complain about having to call to schedule an interview it may very possibly be noted as poor attitude.
Respectfully, many people that work considerably hard and are well qualified do not get interviews. Getting one is a privilege worth any work involved.
Attitude can be assessed during a phone call. The same attribute that is sought during the interview is not only subconsciously considered during all communication with admissions staff, it is actively looked for. For example, if someone were to (even innocently, to say...make small talk) complain about having to call to schedule an interview it may very possibly be noted as poor attitude.
Lol yeah I said it pretty glibly, kind of in the tone of
#firstworldproblems
Lol yeah I said it pretty glibly, kind of in the tone of#firstworldproblems
For the record, I assumed you meant something along the lines of "it would be easier to schedule an interview online" rather than "all those people in Africa with Ebola are so lucky because at least they don't have to call in to EVMS and schedule an interview for medical school."
It's funny with things like email and message boards: it's really easy to read tone into text that can drastically alter the meaning. I always try to assume the most forgiving/benign interpretation, but (obviously) not everyone does.
OOS II today.
EDIT: Also, combo breaker (in reference to the earlier conversation).
EDIT: Also, combo breaker (in reference to the earlier conversation).
Last edited:
Finally complete! Submitted 7/20 as an IS... Lots of calling and emailing of course
II e-mail today, so excited OOS!!!!
I got an email saying my application was incomplete and cant be reviewed until the letters are in. still waiting on letter writers :/
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
A
Accio
Complete!
Congrats! Can I ask when you were complete?II e-mail today, so excited OOS!!!!
Congrats! Can I ask when you were complete?
I had to call in to get complete due to some weird tax issue which was on 8/14; however, they put me in queue as being complete 7/31 because I sent an e-mail asking for this on that day. Hope it helps!
Hey guys!
IS applicant here. Did any other IS people get marked as complete without submitting any extra documents? I'm deciding whether or not to panic cause I submitted and got a complete email in 3 days.
IS applicant here. Did any other IS people get marked as complete without submitting any extra documents? I'm deciding whether or not to panic cause I submitted and got a complete email in 3 days.
Last edited:
Hey guys!
IS applicant here. Did any other IS people get marked as complete without submitting any extra documents? I'm deciding whether or not to panic cause I submitted 8/27 and got a complete email 8/29.
Hey, I submitted on 7/20 and they replied on 7/22 to submit stuff. You ABSOLUTELY have to submit documentation in order to be complete. EVMS is very stringent regarding what they consider an instate student.
I'm doing a research fellowship (educational experience) and they never marked me complete even though I submitted what they asked for initially. They wanted proof of my fellowship since they thought I was an employee so a month later and no contact from them prompted me to call. Finally complete though!
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely give them a call next week. I applied for Med Master's and thought maybe that's why but it could've just been a glitch.Hey, I submitted on 7/20 and they replied on 7/22 to submit stuff. You ABSOLUTELY have to submit documentation in order to be complete. EVMS is very stringent regarding what they consider an instate student.
I'm doing a research fellowship (educational experience) and they never marked me complete even though I submitted what they asked for initially. They wanted proof of my fellowship since they thought I was an employee so a month later and no contact from them prompted me to call. Finally complete though!
Thanks for your reply! I will definitely give them a call next week. I applied for Med Master's and thought maybe that's why but it could've just been a glitch.
Have scans of your license or Va ID, voter registration, vehicle registration, and 2013 tax information (or the first page of your parents federal tax info if they claimed you) ready so you can send it in quickly as well! Best of luck. Are you doing MPH or MBA?
Thanks a lot!! You are amazing and I wish you the best of luck!!Have scans of your license or Va ID, voter registration, vehicle registration, and 2013 tax information (or the first page of your parents federal tax info if they claimed you) ready so you can send it in quickly as well! Best of luck. Are you doing MPH or MBA?
I would love to do MPH, and I think I may do it next year if I don't get in this year. How about you?
Thanks a lot!! You are amazing and I wish you the best of luck!!
I would love to do MPH, and I think I may do it next year if I don't get in this year. How about you?
Thanks! I may just stick with MD + research, though the MBA would give me a chance to go back to my alma mater 🙂
Hey all, M1 at EVMS. I'm only saying this so that you all can make the best decisions for yourselves! My roommate is an M3, and started as. Med master. For his class and the class after him, getting into the MD program afterwards was pretty easy... But last year and this year, its not the same. The med masters program almost quadrupled in size, without many "extra" spots opening up from it into the MD program. That being said, the masters program here is awesome! I love the current and old med master students. And they loved the program. Just keep in mind, it's not an auto bid into M1! Please don't take this as a negative comment against evms or the program, it's not. I've just talked to too many pre meds that misunderstood that transition...Thanks a lot!! You are amazing and I wish you the best of luck!!
I would love to do MPH, and I think I may do it next year if I don't get in this year. How about you?
Yeah, I have heard great things about it, but decided not to do it because of the class size change. Figured I'd take a chance with my new MCAT score and GPA. I'm glad to hear that though!Hey all, M1 at EVMS. I'm only saying this so that you all can make the best decisions for yourselves! My roommate is an M3, and started as. Med master. For his class and the class after him, getting into the MD program afterwards was pretty easy... But last year and this year, its not the same. The med masters program almost quadrupled in size, without many "extra" spots opening up from it into the MD program. That being said, the masters program here is awesome! I love the current and old med master students. And they loved the program. Just keep in mind, it's not an auto bid into M1! Please don't take this as a negative comment against evms or the program, it's not. I've just talked to too many pre meds that misunderstood that transition...
Last edited:
Hey, I submitted on 7/20 and they replied on 7/22 to submit stuff. You ABSOLUTELY have to submit documentation in order to be complete. EVMS is very stringent regarding what they consider an instate student.
I'm doing a research fellowship (educational experience) and they never marked me complete even though I submitted what they asked for initially. They wanted proof of my fellowship since they thought I was an employee so a month later and no contact from them prompted me to call. Finally complete though!
Where did you see that on their website? I received a "complete" e-mail shortly after submitting my secondary, didn't send in any extra information, didn't see anywhere asking me to send in more info. Thanks!
This only applies to IS applicants and they send an email requesting this info.Where did you see that on their website? I received a "complete" e-mail shortly after submitting my secondary, didn't send in any extra information, didn't see anywhere asking me to send in more info. Thanks!
I am IS. Do I need to contact them to make sure they didn't mean to send me an e-mail for further info?
This only applies to IS applicants and they send an email requesting this info.
I am IS. Do I need to contact them to make sure they didn't mean to send me an e-mail for further info?
When did you submit your secondary?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When did you submit your secondary?
Over a month ago. Received a complete e-mail from Kerry Jones several days later.
Over a month ago. Received a complete e-mail from Kerry Jones several days later.
Hmm, odd. Double-check your secondary and what you marked and then call/email on Tuesday. Kerry is good about responding to emails, but calling is more direct!
Over a month ago. Received a complete e-mail from Kerry Jones several days later.
I'm also IS and was marked complete July 22 without submitting any additional info.
Had an interview here recently. Pretty good school. They toured us around and then had the interview.
The interview itself was pretty weird, and I'm unsure about what it meant or anything. The faculty was interesting. There were two interviewers in mine and they were talking amongst themselves and to me about the most random of things for about 70-80% of the time. I wasn't sure if they wanted me to ask them questions of if they wanted me to talk unprompted, but it didn't seem like the situation to do either. Lots of silence that couldn't be broken. I was put off by this to some extent. I think the interview is actually a stress interview. Just remain calm. At one point they asked me if I knew anything about a particular illness. I said what I did and that I did not know too much about it...yet... and it was followed by a long description of it. Really random and completely unnecessary (not at all sure why they asked or what they were trying to gain from this question. It was an illness in the particular interviewer's former field and he subsequently told me he discovered one of the causes so I don't think he was testing my knowledge or anything dumb like that). Another time the interviewer asked if I had published, I said no, she said well you've done a lot of research, and I said yes. I should have totally gone into my research pitch, but I was feeling a bit demoralized from the discussions we were having.
Anyways, the interview continued with the interviewers asking me about an ethical case along with an ethical situation I had been in. Very little back and forth feedback. At one point, I was a bit unsure of how to respond to the interviewers' behaviors. They asked me a question about why people, reported to be "happy by research", immigrate to the states. Having immigrant parents, and knowing exactly why people immigrate, I responded as anyone who knows anything about people in unfortunate situations. This was followed up by "yeah I don't know how some parents can send their kids alone to the US!" I wanted to yell "because they want a better life for their kids!!!" and ask how they could not empathize with this when in fact they were doctors but I held back from saying anything rash and said something along the line of "yes, it's a tough decision to make, but I can certainly be empathetic to their reasons and I can understand why they would do this; hope for a better life". To which the interviewers talked among themselves, laughing about the issue. I was wondering if this was a test, and they wanted me to respond aggressively, but I don't know why anyone would joke like that.
Interview ended fairly abruptly with "well, do you have any questions?" Not sure how allow it went at all 🙁 . I tried my best with what I was given and remained calm. I talked about myself as much as I could and threw in as much anecdotes and experiences as I could without sounding awkward and out of place. Besides the borderline insensitivity exuded by the interviewers, I quite liked the school, the area, and the students.
Hope you all have a better experience than I did. Just stay friendly, active, and fun. Hope you guys crush your interview here!
The interview itself was pretty weird, and I'm unsure about what it meant or anything. The faculty was interesting. There were two interviewers in mine and they were talking amongst themselves and to me about the most random of things for about 70-80% of the time. I wasn't sure if they wanted me to ask them questions of if they wanted me to talk unprompted, but it didn't seem like the situation to do either. Lots of silence that couldn't be broken. I was put off by this to some extent. I think the interview is actually a stress interview. Just remain calm. At one point they asked me if I knew anything about a particular illness. I said what I did and that I did not know too much about it...yet... and it was followed by a long description of it. Really random and completely unnecessary (not at all sure why they asked or what they were trying to gain from this question. It was an illness in the particular interviewer's former field and he subsequently told me he discovered one of the causes so I don't think he was testing my knowledge or anything dumb like that). Another time the interviewer asked if I had published, I said no, she said well you've done a lot of research, and I said yes. I should have totally gone into my research pitch, but I was feeling a bit demoralized from the discussions we were having.
Anyways, the interview continued with the interviewers asking me about an ethical case along with an ethical situation I had been in. Very little back and forth feedback. At one point, I was a bit unsure of how to respond to the interviewers' behaviors. They asked me a question about why people, reported to be "happy by research", immigrate to the states. Having immigrant parents, and knowing exactly why people immigrate, I responded as anyone who knows anything about people in unfortunate situations. This was followed up by "yeah I don't know how some parents can send their kids alone to the US!" I wanted to yell "because they want a better life for their kids!!!" and ask how they could not empathize with this when in fact they were doctors but I held back from saying anything rash and said something along the line of "yes, it's a tough decision to make, but I can certainly be empathetic to their reasons and I can understand why they would do this; hope for a better life". To which the interviewers talked among themselves, laughing about the issue. I was wondering if this was a test, and they wanted me to respond aggressively, but I don't know why anyone would joke like that.
Interview ended fairly abruptly with "well, do you have any questions?" Not sure how allow it went at all 🙁 . I tried my best with what I was given and remained calm. I talked about myself as much as I could and threw in as much anecdotes and experiences as I could without sounding awkward and out of place. Besides the borderline insensitivity exuded by the interviewers, I quite liked the school, the area, and the students.
Hope you all have a better experience than I did. Just stay friendly, active, and fun. Hope you guys crush your interview here!
That sounds super weird. It was an interesting read though.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K