2014-2015 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The admissions office emailed me asking for the following: Virginia state driver's license, Virginia voter registration, Virginia car registration for the vehicle you operate even if it is not registered in your name (please check expiration date on registration), and Virginia state taxes (2013 or the taxes of the person who claimed you).

Thanks! I'm OOS so I'm guessing they have everything they need, but I've been "submitted" since 7/20 with no "complete" email yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry if this has been asked before but is anyone complete? I submitted my secondary on 7/17/2014 and still have not received a complete status e-mail. I tried e-mailed the admissions committee but for some reason my e-mails are not going through. Maybe I will just call them on Monday.
 
Did anyone get away with putting the same lab course twice even if it was only 1 credit? My Ochem lab and Bio lab are 2 credits, but chem lab is only 1. If not I don't think i'm gonna bother with this secondary and the $100
 
Did anyone get away with putting the same lab course twice even if it was only 1 credit? My Ochem lab and Bio lab are 2 credits, but chem lab is only 1. If not I don't think i'm gonna bother with this secondary and the $100
Sounds like you have to take another course.
 
Did anyone get away with putting the same lab course twice even if it was only 1 credit? My Ochem lab and Bio lab are 2 credits, but chem lab is only 1. If not I don't think i'm gonna bother with this secondary and the $100
Usually if you take o chem lab and chem lab, you're good regardless of credit numbers. Call admissions, but they are pretty lenient. Every undergrad institution is different, they are aware of that.
 
One of the only schools that still hadn't sent a secondary. I was verified 8/1. Anyone know if this is bad/good?
 
Thanks! I'm OOS so I'm guessing they have everything they need, but I've been "submitted" since 7/20 with no "complete" email yet.
You should probably call admissions. A lot of OOS people should receive the complete email relatively quickly. I'm calling on Monday since it's been 3 or 4 weeks at this point!
 
Applying OOS, really love EVMS! :soexcited:
AMCAS verified 8/12, secondary received 8/14, submitted 8/17
3.95 sGPA/3.91 cGPA/ 32
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
For the last Q: Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now"
I indicated that I would like to practice in Greater Richmond Metro and the Tri Cities areas. I don't know if it's a negative thing to say.....
 
Last edited:
Hey guys,
For the last Q: Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now"
I indicated that I would like to practice in Greater Richmond Metro and the Tri Cities areas. I don't know if its a negative thing to say.....

not sure if its "negative" but if you haven't submitted it then I feel like it might be safer to generally say the state of Virginia or something. they might think you want to go to VCU more.
 
not sure if its "negative" but if you haven't submitted it then I feel like it might be safer to generally say the state of Virginia or something. they might think you want to go to VCU more.
Thanks, I would do that 🙂
 
@GOK<3 , I know you said you were OOS, just curious when you submitted and whether or not they had to wait for any of your LORs? Thanks!
All of my LORs are in, I'm OOS, just looking to see about how long it takes to have status switched to complete.
 
I'm having some trouble not coming across as some starry eyed premed in this "what youll like best" secondary question.

I'm trying to say that I'll enjoy the moral compensation that comes with the job, but not entirely sure how to really go about this... Suggestions?
 
I'm having some trouble not coming across as some starry eyed premed in this "what youll like best" secondary question.

I'm trying to say that I'll enjoy the moral compensation that comes with the job, but not entirely sure how to really go about this... Suggestions?

Try tying into the rest of your app. My "what I'll like best" topic was different than yours, but I pulled from my ECs and experiences in my app to show how those activities share the aspect, in order to show that it means a lot to me. Not sure how to best describe it, but for example: If I said I was most looking forward to collaboration and teamwork, I would explain how that has always been important to me and was my motivation for seeking out activities like playing for a sports team or working on a group research project etc. Show them why that aspect of medicine is important to you and prove that it is important to you by revealing that it is important in other areas of your life as well.

For your specific example, maybe explain why it is important to you to have a career that is emotionally rewarding, and show how you have sought out rewarding experiences in the past?

I hope this somewhat helps, good luck! 🙂
 
Try tying into the rest of your app. My "what I'll like best" topic was different than yours, but I pulled from my ECs and experiences in my app to show how those activities share the aspect, in order to show that it means a lot to me. Not sure how to best describe it, but for example: If I said I was most looking forward to collaboration and teamwork, I would explain how that has always been important to me and was my motivation for seeking out activities like playing for a sports team or working on a group research project etc. Show them why that aspect of medicine is important to you and prove that it is important to you by revealing that it is important in other areas of your life as well.

For your specific example, maybe explain why it is important to you to have a career that is emotionally rewarding, and show how you have sought out rewarding experiences in the past?

I hope this somewhat helps, good luck! 🙂

Great advice! Much appreciated!
 
How do you know when you're complete? Email notification?

I just logged into my account and that doesn't help at all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Don't think there is, but last week at orientation we received information saying that the average matriculating MCAT was a 31.0 for 2013
EDIT: white coat ceremony today. Our class had a cgpa of 3.6, and "an average MCAT over 31." 150 students, biggest EVMS class to date. About half out of state. Hope that info helps.

What does "over 31" mean though? Could it be 33? 34? 35?
 
I submitted my secondary on 7/22 but never received a complete email. The office contacted me requesting my instate documentation but that's it. Did anyone else actually receive a complete email?
 
I submitted my secondary on 7/22 but never received a complete email. The office contacted me requesting my instate documentation but that's it. Did anyone else actually receive a complete email?
Hey, I submitted my application and instate forms around the same timeline and never received a complete email either. I'll be taking my lunch break to actually/finally contact the office!
 
Hey, I submitted my application and instate forms around the same timeline and never received a complete email either. I'll be taking my lunch break to actually/finally contact the office!

Glad I'm not the only one! I'd be devastated losing an II to such a great school over a formality 🙂
 
Glad I'm not the only one! I'd be devastated losing an II to such a great school over a formality 🙂
I would bypass emailing and actually call! I've been trying to wait it out, but my patience has been worn thin. I grew up in Hampton Roads so EVMS is one of my favorites!
 
Rcd this email:

"Hi DrOMG,

Yes, you’ve been complete and will should be reviewed by the committee very shortly. Sorry for the lack of my update. Thanks for sending all the documents we required. We’ll let you know soon if you are approved for an interview.


Thanks so much!"

They are very prompt and super nice about responding.
 
Rcd this email:

"Hi DrOMG,

Yes, you’ve been complete and will should be reviewed by the committee very shortly. Sorry for the lack of my update. Thanks for sending all the documents we required. We’ll let you know soon if you are approved for an interview.


Thanks so much!"

They are very prompt and super nice about responding.

Finally called and I am not complete (yet) due to a formality. They needed proof of my IRTA fellowship...so I sent that in. Fingers crossed for a complete email soon!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just submitted a few hours ago. 3.5/30 OOS, great LORs /ECs. Lol don't feel too good with that "MCAT over 31 and cGPA over 3.6" comment :/
 
Did you guys use the full 2000 characters in your essays? And how short do you think is TOO short? I think i can definitely answer some of these in <1000 but I don't know if that looks bad.
 
Last edited:
Did you guys use the full 2000 characters in your essays? And how short do you think is TOO short? I think i can definitely answer these in <1000 but I don't know if that looks bad.

It definitely depended on the essay for me, one was close to 2000, on was more like 1000, the rest were in between. Just remember its a character limit, not a character goal. If you can say what you need to and answer the prompt in fewer characters, then it's better not to ramble just to fill space. I think 1000 is just fine.
 
I would personally take it to mean the avg MCAT was a decimal between 31-32. Meaning they can say "over 31" but it's not 32.
Correct. Sorry I should have been more specific. Those were the stats for our incoming class this year, as we were told at our white coat ceremony.