You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Just got my acceptance via email, so I guess today's the day 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Me neither. I don't know if I should be scared or terrified 🤔What! No way... I haven't received an email.
same. I can't help but think that they may have entered the accepted students first and are now changing the rest of our statuses to waitlisted or rejected. Goodness, who knows....Me neither. I don't know if I should be scared or terrified 🤔
@ anyone who might know: are we still eligible for aid if we didn't submit financial aid forms yet? (I never thought in a thousand years that Hopkins would ever accept me! This has been the strangest day)
Best of luck to everyone!
Best of luck to everyone!
Last edited:
Alternate list via portal update. No email (yet). Re-app here I come.
so if i didnt get accepted but no waitlist is mentioned then that is flat rejection?
Also alternate list. Anyone know how much waitlist movement typically occurs here?
Just got my aid package. Holy moly, the need-based aid was head and shoulders over all the other packages I've received thus far... it makes my state schools almost 20K more expensive per year in comparison. *heart eyes emoji*
Congrats to all the recent acceptances and good luck to everyone on the alternate list! Hope everyone gets some sweet aid packages rolling in.
Congrats to all the recent acceptances and good luck to everyone on the alternate list! Hope everyone gets some sweet aid packages rolling in.

Just got mine too. Holy moly is right! I initially looked at the email on phone and formatting was all funky. I was very sad for a couple minutes... And then very excited once I pulled the email up on my computer.Just got my aid package. Holy moly, the need-based aid was head and shoulders over all the other packages I've received thus far... it makes my state schools almost 20K more expensive per year in comparison. *heart eyes emoji*
Congrats to all the recent acceptances and good luck to everyone on the alternate list! Hope everyone gets some sweet aid packages rolling in.![]()
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was not so lucky with financial aid, so I just withdrew. Best of luck to everyone else!
Bluevase, you have some ASTOUNDING options this year. It seems that aid is super variable... the past 2 JHU threads seemed to produce a 50/50 mix of "yayyy" and "oh no" around finaid time.
Just got mine too. Holy moly is right! I initially looked at the email on phone and formatting was all funky. I was very sad for a couple minutes... And then very excited once I pulled the email up on my computer.
I know! On my phone I saw the dashes right next to "general scholarship" so I was like "whelp, no free money for me." Then I checked the email on my laptop and was like "Awwww yeah" and made all sorts of excited dolphin-like noises.
Bluevase, you have some ASTOUNDING options this year. It seems that aid is super variable... the past 2 JHU threads seemed to produce a 50/50 mix of "yayyy" and "oh no" around finaid time.
I know! On my phone I saw the dashes right next to "general scholarship" so I was like "whelp, no free money for me." Then I checked the email on my laptop and was like "Awwww yeah" and made all sorts of excited dolphin-like noises.
I fall in the "oh no" category 🙁
I fall in the "oh no" category 🙁
Same ... I'm having trouble wrapping my head around these loan figures.
Bluevase, you have some ASTOUNDING options this year. It seems that aid is super variable... the past 2 JHU threads seemed to produce a 50/50 mix of "yayyy" and "oh no" around finaid time.
Thanks @hellanutella! You do too! Hopefully this means good news for someone else on the WL 🙂
Yea I hope so too.Hopefully this means good news for someone else on the WL 🙂
But in all seriousness, I'm sorry to hear about the icky fin. aid packages for some of you. It's really unfortunate that money plays such a large role in school selections, especially for schools like Johns Hopkins. I hope that, for those of you that do withdraw, you end up somewhere that makes you happier and ~*~*richer*~*~ (cue sassy "idgaf" hairflip).
Will people only be receiving their fin aid if they turned in FAFSA, Need Access, AND the Net Portal info? Cuz I still haven't received my Net Portal info due to some sort of system mistake (they're apparently still trying to fix my problem 🙁 ) but I have all my other fin aid stuff turned in (I had it in by the priority deadline)... I'm now getting a bit worried that I won't be getting a lot of aid because of this issue 🙁
Definitely falling into the "oh no" category in financial aid. Scholarship was actually pretty decent (~30k/yr), but my parental contribution was 18 times larger (yes, 18 TIMES) than any other school, and my student contribution was similarly insane. JHU must think I have a secret cash stash somewhere... yikes.
Perchance a dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a "too late" date with LOIs here? If I were to send one, it'd be nice to include my final semester of grades, but I won't get those until a week into May at the earliest...
Perchance a dumb question, but does anyone know if there is a "too late" date with LOIs here? If I were to send one, it'd be nice to include my final semester of grades, but I won't get those until a week into May at the earliest...
Wish I could give you an answer, but I saw your username next to the thread and burst in here hoping that they'd pulled you and Penguin off the waitlist. 🙁
If you think these grades would really bolster your LOI, maybe hold off until early May? I can't find the post, but I think someone in this thread mentioned WL movement starting mid-May this year (versus early June last year). Or my brain could just be making that up.
EDIT: Found it.
Glad to know my brain hasn't been playing tricks on me.Their website says movement starts middle of May. This is good because they switched it from being the first of June a couple months ago.
Their website modified the date. Previously it said movement starts in June, now it says it starts mid May.Wish I could give you an answer, but I saw your username next to the thread and burst in here hoping that they'd pulled you and Penguin off the waitlist. 🙁
If you think these grades would really bolster your LOI, maybe hold off until early May? I can't find the post, but I think someone in this thread mentioned WL movement starting mid-May this year (versus early June last year). Or my brain could just be making that up.
EDIT: Found it.
Glad to know my brain hasn't been playing tricks on me.
I had a pretty good financial aid package, but I was jut wondering if there are any guarantees for the next three years? I would hate to be lured in by the package for the first year then be surprised with crippling debt in the following three years. :\
redacted. found my answer
I had a pretty good financial aid package, but I was jut wondering if there are any guarantees for the next three years? I would hate to be lured in by the package for the first year then be surprised with crippling debt in the following three years. :\
Since it's strictly need-based aid, I would assume their EFC calculation won't change from year to year? (At least I really hope it doesn't.... 🙁 I'll ask when I go to my aid appointment on Thursday).
Does anyone have access to the match list for this year?
Anesthesiology
U Washington
Child Neurology
Johns Hopkins
Nationwide Childrens
Dermatology
Harvard
Northwestern
U Iowa
U Washington
Emergency Medicine
Baylor
Cook County
Henry Ford
Johns Hopkins
Loma Linda
NYU
Stanford
U Maryland
U Maryland
USC
Yale-New Haven
ENT
Harvard
Harvard
NY Presbyterian
Penn
Family Medicine
East Tennessee
MedStar Franklin Square
U Iowa
Internal Medicine
Boston University
BWH
Emory
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins-Bayview
Johns Hopkins-Bayview
Johns Hopkins-Bayview
MGH
MGH
MGH
Penn
UCLA
UCSF
UT Southwestern
Vanderbilt
Med-Peds
BWH
UCLA
Neurology
Baylor
Johns Hopkins
Penn
Neurosurgery
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
OBGYN
Barnes-Jewish
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
UNC
Ophthalmology
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
U Louisville
UT Southwestern
Orthopaedic Surgery
Cedars-Sinai
U Massachusetts
Pathology
MGH
MGH
Pediatrics
All Children’s
Baylor
Childrens-Boston
Childrens-Boston
CHOP
CHOP
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
NY Presbyterian-Cornell
UCSF
UCSF
UCSF
Pediatric Anesthesiology
Johns Hopkins
Plastic Surgery
Barnes-Jewish
Psychiatry
Cambridge Health Alliance
Duke
Johns Hopkins
MGH
MGH
NY Presbyterian
UCLA
Yale-New Haven
Yale-New Haven
Yale-New Haven
Radiation Oncology
Barnes-Jewish
MD Anderson
UCSD
Radiology
Baylor
Johns Hopkins
University of Virginia
General Surgery
BI Deaconess
Duke
Johns Hopkins
San Antonio Military
U Colorado
UCLA
Vanderbilt
Urology
Columbia
Johns Hopkins
Johns Hopkins
Northwestern
Ohio State
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I forgot, does Hopkins have an 18 month or a 2 year preclinical curriculum?
1.5 year preclinical: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/curriculum/genes_to_society/curriculum/interactive_map.htmlI forgot, does Hopkins have an 18 month or a 2 year preclinical curriculum?
whoa wait. I just submitted the online letter of intent thingy thinking it was like other schools (i.e. it allows you to hold a place in the class but isn't binding until April 30). But then I noticed the language is screwy... is the letter of intent binding/did I accidentally just commit to JHU exclusively?
help
helpno. you can't commit to a school until april 30. it's not allowed by AAMC traffic rule thingies. or something.whoa wait. I just submitted the online letter of intent thingy thinking it was like other schools (i.e. it allows you to hold a place in the class but isn't binding until April 30). But then I noticed the language is screwy... is the letter of intent binding/did I accidentally just commit to JHU exclusively?help
no. you can't commit to a school until april 30. it's not allowed by AAMC traffic rule thingies. or something.
I saw you and Wolv post in this thread today, and both times I got really excited and thought y'all got off the waitlist. 🙁
So if it is an 18 month pre-clinical curriculum, am I correct to assume that they take Step 1 after the boards similar to how they do it at Penn?
LololollI saw you and Wolv post in this thread today, and both times I got really excited and thought y'all got off the waitlist. 🙁
This is probably a bit of a silly question, but does anyone know how we officially matriculate? I called admissions earlier, and their directions were to just withdraw from all other schools...is that it? No signatures in blood or matriculation fees required?
deleted
Last edited:
Really hoping for some WL movement with the few withdrawls posted on this thread..!
Just saw Gov. Hogan declare a state of emergency. How are the current medical students in Baltimore holding up right now?
Dropping from here... Baltimore isn't looking very attractive right now
Good luck WL'ers!
Good luck WL'ers!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know if any of the lectures are recorded?
As per my student hosts, yes! I remember some MS1s having a long discussion on normal playback speed vs 1.5x speed vs. 2x speed.

I'm in Baltimore right now. Admittedly, it's hard to understate the scale of the riots and their impact. The majority of Baltimore downtown was in a state of lock-down, and this includes the Hopkins medical campus, which remained closed today. Yes, it got bad. Yes, it's a factor to consider. But I want to emphasize that the community response to these riots has been absolutely incredible. I've been volunteering in underprivileged areas in B'more for the past several years, and the positivity from the community today has blown me (and my cynicism) away. Watching families get up at the break of dawn to help their neighbors clean up, watching community leaders organize carpools to reach the affected, watching students run food drives to feed the newly-homeless...I feel a lot more proud of the city than I ever have. Yeah, it sucks that it happened. It's not right, and there's a lot that needs to be done. But right now, there's an impromptu parade, as big as any of the protests or riots, moving down the streets in defiance of violence wrought by any side. That, to me, is the spirit of Baltimore.
Any movement off the waitlist yet?
The website says not until mid MayAny movement off the waitlist yet?
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K