-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Johns Hopkins University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Do you know who we should be addressing our updates to? Ms. Mazza, Dean Weiss, or the Admissions Committee at large? Thanks in advance 🙂Post-interview updates may be sent to Ms. Valerie Mazza at vmazz[email protected]. 🙂
Shameless plug here: I've got a GoogleDoc running (the brainchild of @breakintheroof) with all the update letter policies, acceptance trends, ITA email receptiveness, etc. for each school. Anyone is free to throw some new info up, expand upon previous entries, or correct/edit existing info!
Do you know who we should be addressing our updates to? Ms. Mazza, Dean Weiss, or the Admissions Committee at large? Thanks in advance 🙂
I honestly don't know... I believe I just put "to whom it may concern," but addressed the e-mail message itself to Ms. Mazza. She was very responsive (got a confirmation e-mail shortly thereafter), but I don't think you should fret if you don't get a confirmation e-mail. I know of one person who sent an update, didn't get a confirmation, called later, and was told their file was already uploaded. From the looks for their FB updates it seems like they're often swarmed with questions. I do not envy their workload.

Good luck!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
With great power comes great ... hoards of premeds.From the looks for their FB updates it seems like they're often swarmed with questions. I do not envy their workload.
Good luck!
Do you mind sharing when you were complete?Only to offer encouragement for those still waiting/hoping/worrying/checkingthehopkinsadmissionsfacebookincessantly like I was, I received an II today! I never thought I would have a shot at Hopkins, so I'm obviously extremely excited. I hope everyone up north is staying safe and warm.
I believe that they stated on their admissions facebook page that they don't care for letters of interest (both pre and post interview).Are they receptive to pre interview letters of interest?
Mid-November. Someone who wasn't complete until a few weeks after me got an invite before me, so safe to say everyone has been seen.Do you mind sharing when you were complete?
Are they receptive to anything that might remotely help prevent interview?I believe that they stated on their admissions facebook page that they don't care for letters of interest (both pre and post interview).
To quote one of their recent fb post: "If you know you need to demonstrate an upward academic trend, wait until you have your second grades before you file your AMCAS application. This is particularly for the 2015-2016 prospective applicants. We do not update your applications with new grades once your application has been filed until after you have been interviewed (which means some students with lackluster academics may not get to the interview stage)."Are they receptive to anything that might remotely help prevent interview?
So in terms of grades, I'm assuming that they don't really update those. But I'm not sure about how receptive they are to pre-interview updates with important stuff like new publications or such. Sorry :/
for people who received their decisions in the last batch, did they all come out at the same time or were they scattered throughout the day?
Acceptances came out first, seemingly at the same time. Waitlist decisions came out afterwards*, maybe 30-60 minutes later? There's no certainty that they'll use the same structure this time round, though.for people who received their decisions in the last batch, did they all come out at the same time or were they scattered throughout the day?
*Speaking based on SDN responses and my own decision timing.
Acceptances came out first, seemingly at the same time. Waitlist decisions came out afterwards*, maybe 30-60 minutes later? There's no certainty that they'll use the same structure this time round, though.
*Speaking based on SDN responses and my own decision timing.
Great. Thanks. And do you remember if these were in the morning or in the afternoon?
Afternoon/evening. If I remember correctly, most people on SDN were starting to get really bummed that they hadn't come out by mid-afternoon. The timestamp on my email was after 5pm. So you'll have to sweat through the whole day, if they do things the same way 🙁 🙁 🙁Great. Thanks. And do you remember if these were in the morning or in the afternoon?
Afternoon/evening. If I remember correctly, most people on SDN were starting to get really bummed that they hadn't come out by mid-afternoon. The timestamp on my email was after 5pm. So you'll have to sweat through the whole day, if they do things the same way 🙁 🙁 🙁
Oh man :/ I must say though JHU has the best facebook page of all the schools-- so maybe they'll post something to keep us on the edge of our seats before then.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
All that waiting made my decision even tougher to swallow. That is, until I remembered this cinematic jewel:Oh man :/
Waitlist decision around 5:00pm.
My reaction?
Watched that clip like 2-3 times, felt WAY better, did some homework, drank some scotch, etc. 😛
After all that waiting, the decision was even tougher to swallow. That is, until I remembered this cinematic jewel:
Watched that clip like 2-3 times, felt WAY better, did some homework 😛
It's unfortunate it shares the same day as Pitt and possibly NYU. Could be a very good day or very miserable day for some applicants.
It's unfortunate it shares the same day as Pitt and possibly NYU. Could be a very good day or very miserable day for some applicants.
Yea, and also on our day, the fb page said "No updates for today, see you next time" so we felt bummed because we knew it was supposed to be the 12th lol.Afternoon/evening. If I remember correctly, most people on SDN were starting to get really bummed that they hadn't come out by mid-afternoon. The timestamp on my email was after 5pm. So you'll have to sweat through the whole day, if they do things the same way 🙁 🙁 🙁
Yea, and also on our day, the fb page said "No updates for today, see you next time" so we felt bummed because we knew it was supposed to be the 12th lol.
Huh it said no updates on that day on facebook even though they released them after 5pm?
Huh it said no updates on that day on facebook even though they released them after 5pm?
Looking at SDN it seemed like most acceptances were reported shortly after 4pm on the 12th. Fingers crossed for all of us!!!
So you think they are done reviewing past Nov 18? Sad face, but oh well...Congrats Mwoods18 and best of luck to everyone waiting!Mid-November. Someone who wasn't complete until a few weeks after me got an invite before me, so safe to say everyone has been seen.
My decision was posted in the portal as of 8:00 this morning - just fyi to those waiting. Yours may/may not be up yet but if you're like me and desperately pawing the 'refresh' button...
ACCEPTED!!!!!!!!! I can't believe it!
Rejected. Oh well...
deleted
Last edited:
So I'm probably being stupidly paranoid, but if you select yes to "accept-decline decision," does that mean you are accepting to decline the position? 😵
deleted
Last edited:
Haha, I was thinking the same thing.So I'm probably being stupidly paranoid, but if you select yes to "accept-decline decision," does that mean you are accepting to decline the position? 😵
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Got an email that the decision was available through the portal.For those who were recently accepted, did you receive a call, email, or just check your application portal?
stats/complete?Rejected today... no surprise. Baltimore is awesome, best of luck to those of you still in the running.
For those of you that got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, what was the time stamp on Valerie's email notification?
For those of you that got accepted, waitlisted, or rejected, what was the time stamp on Valerie's email notification?
9am EST!
Received very thoughtful calls/emails from my interviewers today! Love this place.
So I'm probably being stupidly paranoid, but if you select yes to "accept-decline decision," does that mean you are accepting to decline the position? 😵
+1 how awkward it would be if we all accidentally declined by clicking "yes"...
Stats?Interview invite today, for 2/13. Complete 11/18. They are still being given out! Good luck to everyone else still waiting!
3.7, 38, non-trad.Stats?
Accepted on Friday! Anyone know when second look is?
Accepted on Friday! Anyone know when second look is?
Congratulations! 😀 April 9th-12th! Which is unfortunately the same weekend as 20+ other second looks... 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dang, no kidding!! 🙁 Shoot.Congratulations! 😀 April 9th-12th! Which is unfortunately the same weekend as 20+ other second looks... 🙁
Have you received any email asking if you would like to stay on the waitlist? I thought they were going to ask us at the end of January but I haven't heard anything...Afternoon/evening. If I remember correctly, most people on SDN were starting to get really bummed that they hadn't come out by mid-afternoon. The timestamp on my email was after 5pm. So you'll have to sweat through the whole day, if they do things the same way 🙁 🙁 🙁
No ma'am, no word from them yet. I was actually going to call on Friday to inquire, if I still hadn't heard by then.Have you received any email asking if you would like to stay on the waitlist? I thought they were going to ask us at the end of January but I haven't heard anything...
No ma'am, no word from them yet. I was actually going to call on Friday to inquire, if I still hadn't heard by then.
Tell them Nutella needs you and Penguin to be accepted. 🙁 Crossing my fingers you guys are the first off of that WL.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 281
- Views
- 99K