-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 New York Medical College Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
They haven't sent final packages out (Step 2 of the fin aid application). I spoke to someone in Fin Aid office and we should be getting them end of this month....
awesome, thanks!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So as far as financial aid goes, I found out my irs info won't be ready for 2 weeks, firstly...how bad will this be for me in applying for fa? I talked to tony already and he said not to worry and to just finish everything when I can, but I'm just worried I won't get my loans in time.
Also...is there any action we need to take as far as living on campus, or will that information be emailed to us shortly?
Also...is there any action we need to take as far as living on campus, or will that information be emailed to us shortly?
Just got in!!! My watch is over, I'm going to med school next year!!![/QUOTE]
Do they call or email you about the decision?
Do they call or email you about the decision?
Email. Got it at about 3:30p if that helps!Do they call or email you about the decision?
So as far as financial aid goes, I found out my irs info won't be ready for 2 weeks, firstly...how bad will this be for me in applying for fa? I talked to tony already and he said not to worry and to just finish everything when I can, but I'm just worried I won't get my loans in time.
Also...is there any action we need to take as far as living on campus, or will that information be emailed to us shortly?
Current M1 here :] ... If Tony said it will be fine, then everything will be fine- promise!
Also, look forward to meeting you all next year!
Current M1 here :] ... If Tony said it will be fine, then everything will be fine- promise!
Also, look forward to meeting you all next year!
I've talked to tony like 3 times. He seems like the man hahah
Also I actually finished all financial aid stuff today so no big deal
I've talked to tony like 3 times. He seems like the man hahah
Also I actually finished all financial aid stuff today so no big deal
lol good stuff. did you receive any kind of confirmation email yet?
lol good stuff. did you receive any kind of confirmation email yet?
I didn't receive any notification because it's all in the mail still lol but I sent out all forms I needed to even though the irs said my info won't be ready til June. Liars.
I received the housing and health forms this morning! still no word on fin aid for me though
To anybody still on the waiting list: I just got accepted into another school that is far cheaper than NYMC so will be withdrawing shortly. Good luck to everyone!
holy cow, how quick things change. congrats!
holy cow, how quick things change. congrats!
Withdrawing feels so weird. I kinda assumed I was definitely going to Nymc lol
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Withdrawing feels so weird. I kinda assumed I was definitely going to Nymc lol
Lol know the feeling...all of us on the waitlist appreciate you giving up your spot!!
Accepted off the wait list today🙂!
Congratulations! Sorry if I am being snoopy, but noticed you also got into Drexel earlier in the cycle as well. How will you decide between these two schools? I'm wondering because I got into NYMC last week and Drexel's decision for me is currently in the mail, so I don't know what I will be doing if I get accepted to Drexel!Accepted off the wait list today🙂!
Still haven't withdrawn, cause I'm waiting to have the acceptance to the other school in writing haha so there will be more movement shortly!
Finally just worked up the nerve to withdraw my acceptance. I hope my spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!! Best of luck everybody!
Finally just worked up the nerve to withdraw my acceptance. I hope my spot goes to one of you on the waitlist!! Best of luck everybody!
Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance today. VERY, VERY tough decision. NYMC is really a great school, but I just felt a better fit for me elsewhere. Best of luck to everyone else still on the WL!
ACCEPTED!! got the email yesterday at 2:25
mcat 33
GPA 3.8
sGPA 3.7
sent a letter of interest about a week and a half ago
mcat 33
GPA 3.8
sGPA 3.7
sent a letter of interest about a week and a half ago
Just got my financial aid award and I'm in shock at how terrible it is. 100% loans, not even a dollar worth of grants or anything. my goodness.
ME TOO BAHHHHHHHHHJust got my financial aid award and I'm in shock at how terrible it is. 100% loans, not even a dollar worth of grants or anything. my goodness.
it's seriously scary. my total budget came out to $77k. is that the usual amount? will that cover living expenses plus my car payment comfortably? scary lol
$89.5k for me, also hoping to cover a cheap car lease for the first two years as I'll be coming from CA
how the hell? are you on or off campus for living? really confused by how they come to this....
I'm assuming they figure people from the west coast will need more $$ for travel back and forth. Also perhaps for buying living expenses to relocate if off campus. Locals don't need to prep as much. I was offered 77k as well and I'm local.
that's a good point. I'm just suddenly realizing that after tuition + rent + whatever other fees + my car payment, I'm not going to have all that much to live on. slight freak out
https://www.nymc.edu/AdmissionsAndF...Planning/Budgets/Medicine/NewFirst/index.html
These are the budgets. To get a budget of 89.5k one would have selected that they are living off campus which increases the budget for housing & transportation.
edit: I wonder where the extra 2k came from. That's weird...
These are the budgets. To get a budget of 89.5k one would have selected that they are living off campus which increases the budget for housing & transportation.
edit: I wonder where the extra 2k came from. That's weird...
https://www.nymc.edu/AdmissionsAndF...Planning/Budgets/Medicine/NewFirst/index.html
These are the budgets. To get a budget of 89.5k one would have selected that they are living off campus which increases the budget for housing & transportation.
edit: I wonder where the extra 2k came from. That's weird...
lol yeah. maybe I marked off that I have health insurance so that's why I'm 4k under the budget from that site? not sure, might have to call for clarification
I'm sure that's why. My estimate was $81K and I'm using NYMC's health insurance.lol yeah. maybe I marked off that I have health insurance so that's why I'm 4k under the budget from that site? not sure, might have to call for clarification
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm sure that's why. My estimate was $81K and I'm using NYMC's health insurance.
ok good, that's helpful to hear. thanks!
Yeah, off-campus with health insurance, even though I submitted an app for on-campus housing. I want the extra wiggle room in the loans in case I run into unexpected expenses during that first year (and to cover that car lease). If it's smooth sailing I'll reduce it for MS2.
The Graduate PLUS loan had an extra $2K tacked on... "* Includes the federally required fees (4.292% origination fee). "
I totally should have done that. I thought if I marked off campus and lived on campus they wouldn't allow me the off campus budget.
Yeah, off-campus with health insurance, even though I submitted an app for on-campus housing. I want the extra wiggle room in the loans in case I run into unexpected expenses during that first year (and to cover that car lease). If it's smooth sailing I'll reduce it for MS2.
The Graduate PLUS loan had an extra $2K tacked on... "* Includes the federally required fees (4.292% origination fee). "
Are you leasing from a dealer in Cali or NY?
If anyone needs to lease a car in NY my brother in law is the manager at a leasing company 20 min away from nymc. Pm me if u want more info
do we get anything at orientation, or do we basically need to purchase everything we need on our own?
do we get anything at orientation, or do we basically need to purchase everything we need on our own?
More or less,
http://www.nymc.edu/studentservices/housing/What_to_Bring_GII.pdf
Hi everyone, M3 here. Just letting you all know about a fb group we have to buy and sell books, scopes, furniture, you name it. Its for NYMC students only, but it has been really active lately. Students often sell their old scopes and books at significant discounts to their retail value and we hope you pass on the same to future students as well.
You can join the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933449703367301/ As more students finish step 1, you'll start to see more posts relevant to first year texts and material.
Also, if you haven't joined yet, you should become a member of your Class of 2019 fb group. I know that my class, and the class of 2018 have posted really useful information in the past, course notes, texts, and study material... not to mention info about local bar nights and things to do in the area. I believe your group is this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/355828587936897/ I just joined... like a super creepy old dude or something.
I hope you guys have all made relaxing summer plans to enjoy the last month and half of freedom. Definitely go on the dinner cruise during orientation and most importantly, relax... its all uphill from here 😀
Welcome to NYMC!!!
You can join the FB group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/933449703367301/ As more students finish step 1, you'll start to see more posts relevant to first year texts and material.
Also, if you haven't joined yet, you should become a member of your Class of 2019 fb group. I know that my class, and the class of 2018 have posted really useful information in the past, course notes, texts, and study material... not to mention info about local bar nights and things to do in the area. I believe your group is this one: https://www.facebook.com/groups/355828587936897/ I just joined... like a super creepy old dude or something.
I hope you guys have all made relaxing summer plans to enjoy the last month and half of freedom. Definitely go on the dinner cruise during orientation and most importantly, relax... its all uphill from here 😀
Welcome to NYMC!!!
D
deleted688347
Could I ask a question as a future applicant: for the MMI, did you have the evaluators in the same room? Or were there people watching you through one-way mirror?
Yes, the evaluator is in the same room. They are the ones you explain your answer to and they will provide follow-up questions, etc. This is how it's done at NYMC. I believe this is how it's done at pretty much all schools unless it's an acting station.Could I ask a question as a future applicant: for the MMI, did you have the evaluators in the same room? Or were there people watching you through one-way mirror?
A friend of mine had to do a role play at a different school and for that she said it was just the applicant and actor in one room and the evaluator was in a different room.
D
deleted688347
Is there any blended-in traditional station?
Yeah, I don't think they are super common, but they do exist. It's mostly ethical/critical thinking scenarios though.Is there any blended-in traditional station?
Hi guys ! Is there anyone in need of a female roommate or know of anyone trying to share an apartment? I'm homeless.
D
deleted643377
Have you tried the FB group? https://www.facebook.com/groups/355828587936897/Hi guys ! Is there anyone in need of a female roommate or know of anyone trying to share an apartment? I'm homeless.
Does anyone know if there is any sort drug testing during M1?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi older students of nymc (or anyone that has the answer to this q),
The "what to bring" pdf mentioned a bicycle. How useful is having a bike? About what % of the student body brought a bike? Are bikes kept on an uncovered bike rack? I will have a car. Thanks!
The "what to bring" pdf mentioned a bicycle. How useful is having a bike? About what % of the student body brought a bike? Are bikes kept on an uncovered bike rack? I will have a car. Thanks!
How long after taking the Casper did it show up on your updates part of your application?
I took Casper a month ago but it still hasn't shown up on the updates section? I also haven't gotten a hold yet...
wrong thread. go to the 2015-2016 thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...k-medical-college-application-thread.1135036/
wrong thread this is last years thread. we never has CasperHow long after taking the Casper did it show up on your updates part of your application?
I took Casper a month ago but it still hasn't shown up on the updates section? I also haven't gotten a hold yet...
Where are you guys looking to live?