-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I feel you brother, I'm swamped with secondaries and working 50+ hours a week.NOOOOOOOO just received the secondary... there's just too many of them!!!!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I feel you brother, I'm swamped with secondaries and working 50+ hours a week.
Haha I'm working as well (closer to 40hr though). This past week it's been go to work, come home, work on secondaries, repeat.
oof #4 is new, and I see they took out the gap year question
The gap year question is still there. It is not on the essay page of the application, however. Still 75 words.
There is also a 75-word prompt if you are re-applicant (how you have strengthened your application).
If you're not a reapplicant to this specific school but have applied elsewhere in the past do they know this? From what I understand each school can only see when you apply to their schoolThere is also a 75-word prompt if you are re-applicant (how you have strengthened your application).
If you're not a reapplicant to this specific school but have applied elsewhere in the past do they know this? From what I understand each school can only see when you apply to their school
Actually they have a prompt asking if you are a re-applicant to Penn State, AND a separate prompt asking if you are a re-applicant in general.
Received and submitted!
that was quick! I told myself i would prewrite, but after I finished a batch of secondaries I procrastinated 😛Received and submitted!
anybody have any idea what they mean by "navigate a complex system." I was thinking they are talking about figuring out how to use complex technology but that may be way way off of what they mean lol
Penn State COM got a 1 million dollar grant for implementing a "patient navigation" system where med students will be helping patients navigate the convoluted healthcare system. More about it here:
http://www.transforminghealth.org/s...lege-of-medicine-receives-1-million-grant.php
So by asking this question they basically want to know if you have ever navigated a complex system (ex healthcare and others)
Do they screen or not? There website wasn't very clear...???
According to the MSAR, Penn State does not screen applicants. Everyone gets a secondary.
I just got a secondary! I'm so excited.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
received and submitted!
Secondary today! Hoping for IS love.
I feel ya, i have no idea for itComplex System question is the last one I have to answer, and sure enough it's the one I'm most struggling with![]()
Seriously...what does that even meeaaaan? Complex systems?I feel ya, i have no idea for it
me tooooHaha I'm working as well (closer to 40hr though). This past week it's been go to work, come home, work on secondaries, repeat.
'Navigate a complex system' was such a terrible phrase to use; it's way too interpretative for me to know what they are looking for. I saw the post about the healthcare system but I'm still not confident in what it is they want.
For the complex system essay question I wrote about how I solved a complicated problem...Not sure if that's what they want.
I did the same.For the complex system essay question I wrote about how I solved a complicated problem...Not sure if that's what they want.
Your AMCAS id number is unique to the year that you created it in. If you applied last year, your ID number is significantly different than if you applied this year (as I understand it, at least.)If you're not a reapplicant to this specific school but have applied elsewhere in the past do they know this? From what I understand each school can only see when you apply to their school
I wrote about trying to start a program and having to jump through hoops to get it OK-ed.For the complex system essay question I wrote about how I solved a complicated problem...Not sure if that's what they want.
For this question:
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Are you guys talking about a personal characteristic or a concrete experience, like a specific EC or work position?
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Are you guys talking about a personal characteristic or a concrete experience, like a specific EC or work position?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
But I could have started my application and signed up for AMCAS but never submitted my primary, making me a new applicant now even though I registered for an application last year.Your AMCAS id number is unique to the year that you created it in. If you applied last year, your ID number is significantly different than if you applied this year (as I understand it, at least.)
Personally, I am using an experience and quickly tying in a personal characteristic as well 🙂For this question:
Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
Are you guys talking about a personal characteristic or a concrete experience, like a specific EC or work position?
+1Tried to pay and it malfunctioned but charged me =/ here we go. ugh
Tried to pay and it malfunctioned but charged me =/ here we go. ugh
Mine malfunctioned and then I paid again. Hopefully I am not charged twice.
If your MCAT is lower than average, I would imagine this is a place to show them how you can add to the diversity of the school in such a way that mitigates the score, rather than shine a light on the number.For the unique aspect of my application question, am I wrong to take it as an opportunity to talk about a flaw in your app? Like a lower than average MCAT or such? Or is it more for like 1 thing you want them to really take into account?
Can anyone confirm that the post with the prompts on the first page was accurate:
Thanks!
- Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? (Maximum 75 words)
- Explain why you decided to apply to Penn State College of Medicine. (Maximum 75 words)
- Please write a short paragraph describing a significant experience you have had working in a team setting. (Maximum 250 words)
- Briefly describe an experience where you had to navigate a complex system (e.g. personal experience, group activity, or development of a project) to achieve an end. Reflect on the qualities and attributes required by you to achieve success in this experience. (Maximum 250 words)
Thanks!
So I'm calling Monday are you calling? This blows let me know what happens with you too. I hope this doesn't ruin us getting our app in early
How are you guys treating the team setting essay? More of a singular situation or a prolonged experience in a team setting?
Singular for meHow are you guys treating the team setting essay? More of a singular situation or a prolonged experience in a team setting?
I played a team sport all through college so I'm going to be talking about that prolonged experience but focusing on one particular instance.How are you guys treating the team setting essay? More of a singular situation or a prolonged experience in a team setting?
Hey guys, I am trying to answer the "Why Penn State?" question but I can't find anything on their website that makes them really unique.
Maybe ask them to write a diversity essay for you?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Only 75 words to describe why I love Penn State? 😕
I just checked my credit card and I got charged 3 times when submitting the application. I clicked the link to pay twice because the first time it malfunctioned (as others have experienced) but I don't understand how I got charged 3 times!! Is there anything I can do about this? Should I just call the school tomorrow?
Was the complicated problem you wrote about related to you trying to comprehend their convoluted phrasing? 😉For the complex system essay question I wrote about how I solved a complicated problem...Not sure if that's what they want.
Do we have to give both SAT and ACT scores? I took both tests and did a lot better on my ACT, so I'd like to only give that one 😛
