You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Pennsylvania State University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Hope for an II!!
Last edited:
I did a research based masters degree and was considering putting the development of my project as "navigating a complex problem"…from picking a topic ( i was in a pretty unique position where my PI was brand new faculty and I had a lot of input about what I wanted to do )…and then going through all the troubleshooting and analyzing typical of any research project.
What do you guys think?
What do you guys think?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What date is your interview for? Congrats I know it probably feels great to have an II lined up!
Mid-September 🙂 I'm really excited, especially for a school that fits my interests as well as Penn State does.
You're interviewing at rochester too! I knew I recognized your username from somewhere haha. Maybe see you either at PSU or rochester! (this may be further evidence of the "fit" aspect of the admissions process)Yep, same submission date here too. Congrats guys!!!
This school is honestly a super great fit for me for a variety of reasons, which gives me a lot of confidence that maybe this process isn't so random after all, and that fit is a major factor. I'm stoked!!
You're interviewing at rochester too! I knew I recognized your username from somewhere haha. Maybe see you either at PSU or rochester! (this may be further evidence of the "fit" aspect of the admissions process)
Yes I am!! Congrats on both of your IIs! If someone mentions Jingle Chips at either of those interviews, I'll know it's you 😉 That's definitely a really good point about fit too.
Those who recieved the sencondary today, when was your primary verified?
July 7th! Don't worry, you will get yours soon!
Submitted secondary today. You all with your IIs inspired me to get it done ASAP!
Anyone's "I certify that I have not taken any of the above exams at any time." box will NOT uncheck? I never checked it, but it remains checked whenever I save. Wondering if this is something I need to email them about.
Yes, mine too!
Okay! Thanks. If it's not just me, then I don't think I need to email and annoy them! ThanksYes, mine too!
Okay! Thanks. If it's not just me, then I don't think I need to email and annoy them! Thanks
No problem, that's what I was thinking as well! Gl 🙂.
I did a research based masters degree and was considering putting the development of my project as "navigating a complex problem"…from picking a topic ( i was in a pretty unique position where my PI was brand new faculty and I had a lot of input about what I wanted to do )…and then going through all the troubleshooting and analyzing typical of any research project.
What do you guys think?
That's a great topic to talk about! I talked about starting my research as well and my PI was incognito mostly and I starts working on a four year ongoing project. Go for it
No problem, that's what I was thinking as well! Gl 🙂.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I emailed them about it yesterday and they said:
We apologize for the problem you have experienced completing the Secondary Application, specifically with Question #8 and its check-box.
Our IT department is working diligently to resolve the issue. Please try submitting your application tomorrow (7/29/14) afternoon.
Thanks for checking on this!
I actually already submitted my application haha, so hopefully it will be ok!
For this question: " Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? "
I interpreted it to mean "sell yourself in 75 words. explain what makes you special."
but does it mean unique circumstances?
[edited for accidental excessive valleygirlness]
I interpreted it to mean "sell yourself in 75 words. explain what makes you special."
but does it mean unique circumstances?
[edited for accidental excessive valleygirlness]
Last edited:
For this question: " Is there a unique aspect of your application that should be considered by the admissions committee? "
I interpreted it to mean, like, "sell yourself in 75 words. explain what makes you special."
but does it mean, like, unique circumstances?
I took this question as a space to do either of the options you mentioned; whichever your application would benefit more from.
+ 1 submitted today as well. Inspired by the same 🙂. Wonder why it took so long for them to send us the secondary.Submitted secondary today. You all with your IIs inspired me to get it done ASAP!
Secondary submitted! Penn State is one of my top choices. Really hoping for an II!
For the "Please write a short paragraph..." prompt, did all of you make sure it was only one paragraph, or just make sure it was under the 250 word limit?
I don't think I wrote 250 words, I felt I adequately explained everything in a good size paragraph. I could def have done with more than 75 words for some of the other prompts smh.
For those who got interviews, how long did it take before you got the complete email after submitting the secondary/did you get a complete email?
Wondering this too Jinglechips and sunflower18For those who got interviews, how long did it take before you got the complete email after submitting the secondary/did you get a complete email?
You're interviewing at rochester too! I knew I recognized your username from somewhere haha. Maybe see you either at PSU or rochester! (this may be further evidence of the "fit" aspect of the admissions process)
You're interviewing at rochester too! I knew I recognized your username from somewhere haha. Maybe see you either at PSU or rochester! (this may be further evidence of the "fit" aspect of the admissions process)
I'm going to drop jingle chips at all of my interviews just incase now
For those who got interviews, how long did it take before you got the complete email after submitting the secondary/did you get a complete email?
I got my II on a 12 day turnaround. Very fast relative to my other II's
Wondering this too Jinglechips and sunflower18
I did not get a complete email. I got an II 10 days after submitting my secondary.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wondering this too Jinglechips and sunflower18
I actually did not get a complete email! Odd.
hmm I submitted 7/20 and have not gotten a complete email yet and tomorrow will be 12 days. maybe they dont send out complete emails 😛
under status there is a check indicating my app is complete though
I'm not sure. I did receive a complete email from then prior to my interview invite
hmm I submitted 7/20 and have not gotten a complete email yet and tomorrow will be 12 days. maybe they dont send out complete emails 😛
under status there is a check indicating my app is complete though
I'm in the same boat here, I figure we'll be reviewed in the next batch.
Is the word counter on anyone else's app messed up? For the question about the teamwork, it's cutting me off after 246 words, as 250. I've verified my text on several word counter apps and they all tell me it's 250, and that what the app counts as 250 is actually only 246. I've already edited it down as much as I can, taking out more words will only mess with the flow 🙁 [I don't have any hyphenated, etc. words, so idk]
If you typed it elsewhere and pasted it over, your apostrophes <'> might not transfer over correctly, counting contractions as two words. That's what happened for me.
AH that's it thanks so much! I was so perplexed, but yes I have 4 apostrophes. thanks 🙂If you typed it elsewhere and pasted it over, your apostrophes <'> might not transfer over correctly, counting contractions as two words. That's what happened for me.
.
Last edited:
How long has it been taking for people to receive the complete email?
I don't think Penn State sends complete emails. I never got one but was offered an II.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone tell me if Penn state still asks for a letter from each school the applicant gets a degree from?
I don't think Penn State sends complete emails. I never got one but was offered an II.
When was all your stuff in and what were your stats ?
Submitted!
When was all your stuff in and what were your stats ?![]()
I submitted the secondary on 7/20.
3.9+/33.