You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Saint Louis University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congrats! Did they email you or was it on the Portal?
I got an email and the portal updated.
Does anyone know how financial aid is? How is the need-based vs merit-based?
Congrats! Did they email you or was it on the Portal?
Email invite and schedule via portal.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all!
I just received an interview invite and was wondering if anyone would mind sharing how the interview day is and how the interview itself was (panel vs individual, a lot of aca questions, ethics, etc)? Not sure if this has aleady been asked/explained on here, if so, I apologize for the repeat.
Also, I am an OOS and was wondering if there are any cheap hotels or something to stay at near the school or if there is a student host program? Thank you all! =)
I just received an interview invite and was wondering if anyone would mind sharing how the interview day is and how the interview itself was (panel vs individual, a lot of aca questions, ethics, etc)? Not sure if this has aleady been asked/explained on here, if so, I apologize for the repeat.
Also, I am an OOS and was wondering if there are any cheap hotels or something to stay at near the school or if there is a student host program? Thank you all! =)
There is a student host program! You do have to pay for it (~$30) but my student host was lovely and answered all my burning questions.
That's awesome, thank you!!
From what they told us on the interview day, everyone can apply for $5k a year scholarship based off of personal income, etc, and up to $10k a year scholarship based off of personal and parents' income, etc. It's all need based, no merit scholarships. Most students, it seemed, get outside scholarships or aid, or use Stafford or Grad+ loans. That's what I took from it anyways!
Just wondering, but what kind of income level is needed to qualify for the $10k/year scholarship and what kind of outside scholarships/aid do people qualify for? Also, do they make exceptions past 10k or is that the maximum amount they give anyone?
Congrats!!! Mind sharing when you were complete? Thanks!II today! Just wanted to pop-in and give some love to the people still waiting to hear back. Interview is early next month and seems like most days were open. Keep strong ladies and gents!
Just wondering, but what kind of income level is needed to qualify for the $10k/year scholarship and what kind of outside scholarships/aid do people qualify for? Also, do they make exceptions past 10k or is that the maximum amount they give anyone?
I'm not quite sure, I don't recall any specifics about that. They're very friendly though so maybe email or call the FinAid office?
I'm not quite sure, I don't recall any specifics about that. They're very friendly though so maybe email or call the FinAid office?
Thanks! I'll call them and get more information, but I don't think that I would pick this school over one of my state schools due to the huge difference in price, so I'm pretty sure I'll withdraw and I hope someone else who is waiting can get the interview spot.
EDIT: Withdrew. Good luck to everyone else!
Last edited:
Just got an email for the alternate list. Considering I BOMBED my interview, I'm just happy to not be rejected.
Same here 🙁.. Although my interview went really well..(or at least I thought so) Just a question: Is being "waitlisted" the same as being on the "alternate list"?Just got an email for the alternate list. Considering I BOMBED my interview, I'm just happy to not be rejected.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did call the admissions office this morning... But after this outcome, I might not recommended it....well im scared now. i have the same interview dates (mid november) as you guys and about same lizzym and havent received an email yet.
What dates did you guys interview in November?Just got an email for the alternate list. Considering I BOMBED my interview, I'm just happy to not be rejected.
I sent in an update with last semester's grades and continued/new commitments right before Christmas and received the II 1/12. It seems like sending in an update is pretty beneficial to getting a quicker response... it definitely doesn't hurt.
Did you send your update letter through the portal or via email? I have been using the portal for updates for other schools but I hate how you don't get a confirmation of receipt when uploading that way. Thanks for your help!
Accepted this morning!!
![]()
Congrats to anyone else who was accepted!
congrats!!! when did you interview?
congrats!!! when did you interview?
Thank you!
I interviewed in mid November
Congrats!!! Mind sharing when you were complete? Thanks!
8/14/14 was the secondary submission date! Almost 5 months later I got a reply, but the wait was worth it haha
1st post here, I have an II with this school scheduled for 1/27, I'm very worried that because its so late, im only interviewing here for a waitlist spot with no chance for acceptance.
Does anyone know whether St. Louis SOM is one of the schools that does this?
Does anyone know whether St. Louis SOM is one of the schools that does this?
Did you send your update letter through the portal or via email? I have been using the portal for updates for other schools but I hate how you don't get a confirmation of receipt when uploading that way. Thanks for your help!
Portal.
By far one of the nicest rejection letters i've received!! You win some you lose some. Good luck to those remaining in the game!
Did you get an email or a letter? Sorry about your rejection. 🙁By far one of the nicest rejection letters i've received!! You win some you lose some. Good luck to those remaining in the game!
An email, a very nice email 🙂.Did you get an email or a letter? Sorry about your rejection. 🙁
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry! Keep that positive attitude!
When did you interview?
When did you interview?
An email, a very nice email 🙂.
By far one of the nicest rejection letters i've received!! You win some you lose some. Good luck to those remaining in the game!
Tough, but I noticed you have some pretty solid acceptances already! Good luck regardless.
Hey does anyone know if they do silent rejections?
Rejections are not silent, as I just found out earlier this afternoon. If you're still in the running, good luckHey does anyone know if they do silent rejections?
Rejections are not silent, as I just found out earlier this afternoon. If you're still in the running, good luck
Sorry to hear that. I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary late July so I assumed it was done for me. Was your notification by mail or email?
Do you think I should send a 'Why Saint Louis' essay if I haven't been invited for an interview yet? I didn't fill out the optional essay when I filled out my secondary.
Do you think I should send a 'Why Saint Louis' essay if I haven't been invited for an interview yet? I didn't fill out the optional essay when I filled out my secondary.
pretty sure no school accepts things like that after you submit the secondary.
Do you think I should send a 'Why Saint Louis' essay if I haven't been invited for an interview yet? I didn't fill out the optional essay when I filled out my secondary.
pretty sure no school accepts things like that after you submit the secondary.
You didn't feel the need to complete the essay originally, but are now trying to do so out of apparent desperation... I think this would give a bad impression that you just need to get in somewhere. I think you should just ride it out.
All right, thanks for the advice! I'll continue waiting patiently then.You didn't feel the need to complete the essay originally, but are now trying to do so out of apparent desperation... I think this would give a bad impression that you just need to get in somewhere. I think you should just ride it out.
Does anyone have an idea of how interview days are structured? like when they start and end? On the page it says something about the activities occurring between 11pm-1pm and that seems like a really short interview day, so i'm not sure if that's right.
Also, does interview later here (like in February) put me at a disadvantage?
The financial aid talk, tour, and lunch, etc. are from 11 am - 1 pm. Your actual interview will be either before or after this time block. I had my interview at 3 pm so I arrived just before 11 and then had 2 hours to wait in the admissions office after lunch ended. The people with morning interviews were able to leave at around 1pm.Does anyone have an idea of how interview days are structured? like when they start and end? On the page it says something about the activities occurring between 11pm-1pm and that seems like a really short interview day, so i'm not sure if that's right.
Email. I was complete in July as well.Sorry to hear that. I haven't heard anything since I submitted my secondary late July so I assumed it was done for me. Was your notification by mail or email?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone have an idea of how interview days are structured? like when they start and end? On the page it says something about the activities occurring between 11pm-1pm and that seems like a really short interview day, so i'm not sure if that's right.
If I remember correctly, that isn't including your interview. My interview was at 8am so I had time to attend a lecture between that and everything that began 11am. Others interviewed afterward. A couple days after you select your interview the admissions office emails the time and name of your interviewer.
@Paradism @Buttermellow
Any insights on the social aspects of your class or of the med school as a whole? Even if you're not in lecture as often as some schools may be, do you still feel connected and get to know your classmates?
Oh absolutely. Of my 180 or so classmates, I probably know around half of them and regularly hang out with 25-35 of them. Though I don't go to lecture often, I'm usually on campus or at the library every day, so I generally see some of my classmates on a daily basis. I know a lot of people use group message apps to talk to groups of friends to organize outings and stuff, which helps for those who don't come to campus much at all. There are always social events being organized by the class and people are always up for going out to eat or going to the bars, etc etc. One has to make an effort to distance themselves from the rest of the class, as it is remarkably easy to find ways to interact with classmates outside of class.
I can't uniformly speak for every class at SLU, but my class is fantastic and is just an excellent composition of friendly and talented people. It is very refreshing! Hope that answers your question!
@Paradism @Buttermellow
Any insights on the social aspects of your class or of the med school as a whole? Even if you're not in lecture as often as some schools may be, do you still feel connected and get to know your classmates?
Overall, the class is very friendly! Like any group of 170+ people, there are a few I can't stand, but most people I get along with just fine. You'll get out of it what you put into it, though. Obviously people who go to lectures or other things at school (interest group meetings, etc) will be around people more and make more friends. I only really hang out with a couple people outside of class, but there are many classmates that I would consider myself friends with and will chat with. Everyone has kind of formed their friend groups by second year, so I'd take advantage of everyone not knowing each other during first year to meet a lot of people.
The financial aid talk, tour, and lunch, etc. are from 11 am - 1 pm. Your actual interview will be either before or after this time block. I had my interview at 3 pm so I arrived just before 11 and then had 2 hours to wait in the admissions office after lunch ended. The people with morning interviews were able to leave at around 1pm.
Correct. It is a short interview day compared to other schools. Half of the interviewees will interview in the morning, then join the group from 11-1 for tours and such. The other half will start at 11 with the tour and other activities, then have their interview after 1 (and as late as 3)
@Paradism @Buttermellow
Thanks for sharing your experience at SLU!
As a follow up question, could you tell us more about the study spaces on campus (library, students lounges, cafes,etc). My tour felt really quick and we didn't have time to check out the MS1 building.
Also, will there be some sort of event that will present all the student groups and research opportunities for new students? I have poked around the website for info on research happening on campus and haven't found a lot of info about it.
Thanks!
Thanks for sharing your experience at SLU!
As a follow up question, could you tell us more about the study spaces on campus (library, students lounges, cafes,etc). My tour felt really quick and we didn't have time to check out the MS1 building.
Also, will there be some sort of event that will present all the student groups and research opportunities for new students? I have poked around the website for info on research happening on campus and haven't found a lot of info about it.
Thanks!
