You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 Saint Louis University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congratulations!!! When did you interview, if you don't mind? Thanks!Just got off the waitlist on Friday! Can any current students comment on what they like and don't like about SLU?
I still haven't received a post-interview decision. Anyone else in the same boat as me? It bothers me that it's past the multiple acceptance deadline and people are getting off the waitlist before I even receive any sort of decision. However, congrats to all who are getting accepted off the waitlist!
Edit: Got accepted 🙂
Edit: Got accepted 🙂
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!!! When did you interview, if you don't mind? Thanks!
Thanks 🙂 First week of December!
I still haven't received a post-interview decision. Anyone else in the same boat as me? It bothers me that it's past the multiple acceptance deadline and people are getting off the waitlist before I even receive any sort of decision. However, congrats to all who are getting accepted off the waitlist!
That's pretty stupid that they haven't sent you a decision yet. I'd definitely call them and press them on when they are going to make a decision and emphasize the fact you've noticed people have been taken off the waitlist before you were even given a decision.
Thanks 🙂 First week of December!
Did they give you the good news by e-mail or phone?
Congrats on getting in! When did you find out? It's awesome to see there are acceptances going out at slu!
I still haven't received a post-interview decision. Anyone else in the same boat as me? It bothers me that it's past the multiple acceptance deadline and people are getting off the waitlist before I even receive any sort of decision. However, congrats to all who are getting accepted off the waitlist!
Edit: Got accepted 🙂
Congrats on getting in! When did you find out? It's awesome to see there are acceptances going out at slu!
Thanks! I found out in the past couple days. I certainly was not optimistic about getting accepted, so it was a huge surprise!
Trying to decide between SLU and University of Illinois (UPR track). Has anyone had to make this decision and could give me their opinion? Feel free to pm me. Thanks!
Update: Got screwed by financial aid, but I still ended up choosing SLU! I look forward to seeing you all in August.
Update: Got screwed by financial aid, but I still ended up choosing SLU! I look forward to seeing you all in August.
Last edited:
Just withdrew my spot from the waitlist. That should help out most of you... lol
I KID I KID
...I don't get it
Yeah unfortunately they do not reveal your rank on the waitlist.They don't tell you your position on the wait list, correct?
Just got accepted today! Is there a facebook group for accepted students?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
were you accepted to any other schools?Just got accepted today! Is there a facebook group for accepted students?
Hello everyone! I am asking for a friend who doesn't have an account on SDN, but where are most of you living while attending SLU?
Accepted today off the alternate list! Interviewed 12/9, international student.
Congratulations to all of you getting in! Can't wait to meet you all this fall! I am a current MS1, well for another week anyways, and will be one of your orientation group leaders in August! Feel free to ask me any questions you have. However, I will say I am a non-trad student and do not live near campus so I won't be much help as far as living situations are concerned. There should be a Facebook group set up for you folks for those type questions though! Any questions or concerns about the curriculum and what to expect though, fire away!
Likes:
Dislikes: I honestly haven't found any yet.
Just got off the waitlist on Friday! Can any current students comment on what they like and don't like about SLU?
Likes:
- True P = MD for years 1-2. It takes the pressure off completely. I can focus on learning the big picture and not lose my damn mind trying to memorize every little detail. It has actually led to me performing incredibly well so far.
- The students. We take care of and look out for each other, share notes/tips/strategies, and drink a lot of beer together. The upper classmen/women are super helpful and excited to share what they can with you to help you succeed. All around, it is a positive atmosphere.
- The professors are pretty cool. Anyone ever been in a class where they handed out candy for correct answers? That's cool, we have some that hand out free beers for correct answer. Another is hosting a big end of year throw-down for us at his personal home for all the students. In general, they are all well organized and strive to help you learn. They are receptive to feed back and welcome new ideas.
- Tegrity. I went to undergrad near SLU and already owned my own home here. It is a fairly long drive in every day. Since we don't have required attendance and all lectures are recorded, I am able to spend most lecture days at home, where I feel I am more efficient at studying anyways.
- The curriculum. We start with biochem, not anatomy. It gives you a chance to get acclimated to med school before they drop the hammer on you with anatomy.
- Free food. Seriously, if you don't want to pay for lunch, there is almost always some event going on during the lunch hour that will provide free food. It's a little ridiculous really.
- Dedicated longitudinal electives. Having dedicated times and tracts to help students get involved in research is big plus. Even if you have little to no experience, the faculty will help get you going. If that's not your thing, there are many other elective available (surgery, teaching, presentations at local schools, etc.)
- The HRC and Casa de Salud. These are both fantastic community programs that you can get involved in immediately and start making a difference in our community. They also help you start building your clinical skills very early on.
Dislikes: I honestly haven't found any yet.
I concur with all of the above! I will also pile on the list of things that are cool.
- Student interest groups for damn near every conceivable specialty or sub-specialty! Great chance to explore your curiosity and network with other interest students and possibly physicians.
- For those who are interested in Primary Care, we have a mentorship program where approximately 8 students meet with a primary care physician mentor once a month or so to discuss issues and talk about whatever. This has been a tremendous experience throughout the year!
- As was already mentioned above, we have bi-weekly elective activities of various types. Most importantly you can design your own, and there is a very large amount of flexibility in doing so!
- Student led activities! Dodgeball and kickball tournaments. Lots of gym rats who play pickup games of whatever and even organize teams! House parties, game nights, paintball. There's a lot to do in St. Louis and you will have enough free time to explore and do interesting and fun things with your classmates. Med School is a lot of hard work, but you should have time to have fun with your classmates and explore new interests.
Congratulations to all of you getting in! Can't wait to meet you all this fall! I am a current MS1, well for another week anyways, and will be one of your orientation group leaders in August! Feel free to ask me any questions you have. However, I will say I am a non-trad student and do not live near campus so I won't be much help as far as living situations are concerned. There should be a Facebook group set up for you folks for those type questions though! Any questions or concerns about the curriculum and what to expect though, fire away!
Likes:
- True P = MD for years 1-2. It takes the pressure off completely. I can focus on learning the big picture and not lose my damn mind trying to memorize every little detail. It has actually led to me performing incredibly well so far.
- The students. We take care of and look out for each other, share notes/tips/strategies, and drink a lot of beer together. The upper classmen/women are super helpful and excited to share what they can with you to help you succeed. All around, it is a positive atmosphere.
- The professors are pretty cool. Anyone ever been in a class where they handed out candy for correct answers? That's cool, we have some that hand out free beers for correct answer. Another is hosting a big end of year throw-down for us at his personal home for all the students. In general, they are all well organized and strive to help you learn. They are receptive to feed back and welcome new ideas.
- Tegrity. I went to undergrad near SLU and already owned my own home here. It is a fairly long drive in every day. Since we don't have required attendance and all lectures are recorded, I am able to spend most lecture days at home, where I feel I am more efficient at studying anyways.
- The curriculum. We start with biochem, not anatomy. It gives you a chance to get acclimated to med school before they drop the hammer on you with anatomy.
- Free food. Seriously, if you don't want to pay for lunch, there is almost always some event going on during the lunch hour that will provide free food. It's a little ridiculous really.
- Dedicated longitudinal electives. Having dedicated times and tracts to help students get involved in research is big plus. Even if you have little to no experience, the faculty will help get you going. If that's not your thing, there are many other elective available (surgery, teaching, presentations at local schools, etc.)
- The HRC and Casa de Salud. These are both fantastic community programs that you can get involved in immediately and start making a difference in our community. They also help you start building your clinical skills very early on.
Dislikes: I honestly haven't found any yet.
A random question. What do students at SLU wear to class? Just normal clothes like undergrad? Or do people start to dress professionally?
A random question. What do students at SLU wear to class? Just normal clothes like undergrad? Or do people start to dress professionally?
The first few weeks everyone was in dress to impress mode. Now it's flip flops, sweats, and t shirts.
rejected from wl
How did you find out? Also, was anyone else rejected from the waitlist?
Has anyone still on the wait list heard anything recently? I've been hoping for an update email or something lately.
rejected from wl
Sorry to hear this. How did you find out? Did you receive email or postal mail? Anyone else can share their current experiences about the waitlist.
Last edited:
Just rejected from the alternate list. Notified by e-mail.
Also rejected from the waitlist. No idea why they waited until june to tell us this. It's such a useless irrational way of handling applicants.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It gets even better: I called and apparently they won't give reapplicants feedback about their applications, after I was informed they would go over applications if we were rejected. Got to love the inconsistent information, and being left in the dark, when a simple skim and feedback would be invaluable to a lot of us.
Strong username to post correlationIt gets even better: I called and apparently they won't give reapplicants feedback about their applications, after I was informed they would go over applications if we were rejected. Got to love the inconsistent information, and being left in the dark, when a simple skim and feedback would be invaluable to a lot of us.
Strong username to post correlation
Haha, I just wish I could be a SLUmdog VILLE-onaire.
Anyone have any recent news regarding WL movement (or lack thereof)? My hope is starting to wane little by little 🙁
I was accepted off the WL on Tuesday but withdrew my acceptance on Friday. Best of luck to those still waiting!
Did they call you? Do they also email?
I received my acceptance via email.Did they call you? Do they also email?
Just got off the waitlist this morning! Hoping for the best to all of those still waiting. I'm sure this has been asked but does anyone know how to get on the Facebook group?
Also wondering the same thing. Any word?Just got off the waitlist this morning! Hoping for the best to all of those still waiting. I'm sure this has been asked but does anyone know how to get on the Facebook group?
D
deleted631131
Facebook group is: Saint Louis University School of Medicine - Class of 2019. Closed group so someone will have to accept your request
I am planning on applying to SLU this cycle, and have the same question. What did they end up saying about having a PI as a teacher LOR?Any idea on how strict SLU is with their LORs? Could a PI fill in for one of the teacher letter requirements?
I recently asked that. They are pretty strict. I was told that a PI letter is welcome as an additional letter but that 3 academic letters would still be required.I am planning on applying to SLU this cycle, and have the same question. What did they end up saying about having a PI as a teacher LOR?
Hmmm, I know most schools allow a PI letter as a science faculty letter, especially if research was done for credit.I recently asked that. They are pretty strict. I was told that a PI letter is welcome as an additional letter but that 3 academic letters would still be required.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone have any interview tips for Dr. James Shoemaker (he's the interviewer I was assigned)?
Also, what is the interview style like? Can anyone who has interviewed here this year shed any light on their questions/experience?
Hi! Im interviewing at SLU next month with the James Shoemaker. If you don't mind me asking..how did the interview go for you? I would really appreciate if you can give me some tips on how to prepare for this! Thanks so much.
To be honest I thought this was my worst interview (it was my first one) and I felt like I wouldn't get it.
In the end, I was accepted within 6 weeks and I am currently attending the school now. To prepare for the interview look over your application and if you referenced people or mentioned activities/research be able to explain it. I did most of the talking during my interview. He showed me a view of all of St. Louis from the top of the research building so that was really cool as well.
BE YOURSELF! Don't try to impress them by making things up.
PS. I love the school so far if anyone has any questions about the area/school send me a message on here. Il try to respond ASAP but I haven't been checking this daily
Good luck!
In the end, I was accepted within 6 weeks and I am currently attending the school now. To prepare for the interview look over your application and if you referenced people or mentioned activities/research be able to explain it. I did most of the talking during my interview. He showed me a view of all of St. Louis from the top of the research building so that was really cool as well.
BE YOURSELF! Don't try to impress them by making things up.
PS. I love the school so far if anyone has any questions about the area/school send me a message on here. Il try to respond ASAP but I haven't been checking this daily
Good luck!
To be honest I thought this was my worst interview (it was my first one) and I felt like I wouldn't get it.
In the end, I was accepted within 6 weeks and I am currently attending the school now. To prepare for the interview look over your application and if you referenced people or mentioned activities/research be able to explain it. I did most of the talking during my interview. He showed me a view of all of St. Louis from the top of the research building so that was really cool as well.
BE YOURSELF! Don't try to impress them by making things up.
PS. I love the school so far if anyone has any questions about the area/school send me a message on here. Il try to respond ASAP but I haven't been checking this daily
Good luck!
Thats great to hear! Thanks so much for the response 🙂)
Accepted off the alternate list on 6/2/15
Interviewed 12/16/14
International student
I'm am international student as well. Do you know if this school has higher standards for us? What were your stats if you don't mind me asking? Im interviewing there in about a month and I would really appreciate any tips! Thanks so much.