2014-2015 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gettheleadout

MD
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HAVE YOU APPLIED TO MEDICAL SCHOOL BEFORE? If yes, for which entering class?
Have you applied to Stony Brook University's School of Medicine before? If yes, for which entering class?
Have you been interviewed at Stony Brook University's School of Medicine? If yes, for which entering class?
Have you been accepted to any medical school before? If yes, explain.

Have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?
If yes, please explain the nature of the offense, the place of the occurrence, and the year in which the conviction occurred.

ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to one page per question)

1. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation?
If YES, please tell us what you anticipate you will be doing professionally 15 years after graduating from medical school and why.
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.
2. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.
The MSTP at Stony Brook is an integrated program designed to produce well-trained clinical investigators and medically oriented basic scientists. It involves research training in a basic science department of the student's choice leading to a Ph.D., and the pursuit of complete medical school curriculum leading to an M.D. degree. MSTP students receive a full tuition waiver and stipend support throughout their stay at Stony Brook.
Students interested in the MSTP are encouraged to apply to this program at the time of application to the medical school and as early as possible, in order to facilitate the dual review process. Consideration for admission to the medical school will not in any way be influenced by application to the MSTP.
Please feel free to solicit any additional letters of recommendation specifically for the MSTP application. These should be sent along with all other letters of recommendation to the School of Medicine Admissions Office via AMCAS.
Please describe the basic and/or clinical research fields that you think you might like to explore and/or develop expertise in during your MSTP training. To the extent that you have defined potential specific future clinical interests, please describe the type(s) of medicine that you might be interested in pursuing once you have completed the MSTP.
Please note that these responses do not commit you to a restricted path if you are accepted to SBU; instead, they are used to help us connect you to the interviewers who can best address your potential interests.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
IS applicant hoping for some SBU alumni love. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also from LI. This is by far my top choice. I'm way to excited about hearing anything back from them.

applying OOS. is it worth it? 34/3.7+ research heavy applicant

I am applying as an OOS w/ 30/3.98 and a lot of clinical experience do you think I have a shot?

anyone got an opinion of an OOS nj resident 3.5/37 with extended family ties to queens and an alumni cousin ?

It appears they have taken out one of last year's essays?

ESSAY QUESTIONS (Please limit your responses to one page per question)

10. Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? YES NO
If YES, please tell us what you anticipate you will be doing professionally 15 years after graduating from medical school and why.
If NO, please explain what you have done or plan to do during the gap period and why.

11. DESCRIBE AN OBSTACLE YOU'VE OVERCOME AND HOW IT HAS DEFINED YOU.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
O no they took out a question and added a new one :( .DAMN YOU PRE WRITING. Is the new one basically asking for specialty choice and why?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying as an OOS w/ 30/3.98 and a lot of clinical experience do you think I have a shot?

I had similar stats - high gpa and 31 MCAT (but with a 7 in verbal) - and a lot of clinical experience and got accepted in October. So I'd say yes! Good luck!

Hello all, do you guys think that graduating a semester early would make my education non-continuous between college and medical school?

Hello all, do you guys think that graduating a semester early would make my education non-continuous between college and medical school?
Are you doing something fabulous during that semester off that you want to tell Stony Brook about?
if YES: it's not continuous
if NO: it's continuous

I'm actually glad my education has not been continuous lol. I hate writing about "where do you see yourself in ... years" essays! Phewwwww! And glad that they got rid of one of their essays too!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'm actually glad my education has not been continuous lol. I hate writing about "where do you see yourself in ... years" essays! Phewwwww! And glad that they got rid of one of their essays too!!
Do you think the 15 years question is like a "why this specialty" question?

Do you think the 15 years question is like a "why this specialty" question?
Yeah, I think it's about where your interests lie. Personally, I would have a hard time answering this, since I am not sure what I wanna do yet lol.

If I am doing a post-bacc this year, is my education continuous?

Can someone that has received the secondary please PM the OP with the necessary info so the post can be amended?

I had similar stats - high gpa and 31 MCAT (but with a 7 in verbal) - and a lot of clinical experience and got accepted in October. So I'd say yes! Good luck!
I am hoping for the best here! Thanks :)

Anybody know how long it takes to get a confirmation e-mail after submitting the secondary?

Anybody know how long it takes to get a confirmation e-mail after submitting the secondary?
I submitted the 7th and got an email several hours later. I still haven't gotten a complete email though and my letters have been in for weeks

No secondary yet. I received one from UB and Downstate. Anyone else waiting?

I submitted here but when reading through their information in the secondary it said that they look to primarily fill the need of primary care physicians. I never showed any interest in primary care in my essays, whoops.

For that essay I talked about my interest in oncology as I have no interest in primary care. Many schools say they want to help solve the primary care crisis, but they don't want to graduate 100% pcps. I think along if you have some good reason for speciality interest it should be okay.

So I was looking on the website and saw below

Medical School Admissions Requirements Commencing with the 2015 Entering Class

Biology- 2 semesters with lab, one of which should include a course in cell biology or genetics

Chemistry- minimum of 4 semesters including coursework in general and organic chemistry with lab and a course in biochemistry

English/Writing- 1 semester

Physics- 1 semester with lab

Social Science/Humanities- 1 semester of either psychology, sociology, logic or ethics, or anthropology

Statistics- 1 semester

How come we need 1 semester of either psychology, sociology, logic or ethics etc....has stony brook always been like this? I thought this would only be for the entering class of 2016 with the new mcat etc requirements.

? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

So I was looking on the website and saw below

Medical School Admissions Requirements Commencing with the 2015 Entering Class

Biology- 2 semesters with lab, one of which should include a course in cell biology or genetics

Chemistry- minimum of 4 semesters including coursework in general and organic chemistry with lab and a course in biochemistry

English/Writing- 1 semester

Physics- 1 semester with lab

Social Science/Humanities- 1 semester of either psychology, sociology, logic or ethics, or anthropology

Statistics- 1 semester

How come we need 1 semester of either psychology, sociology, logic or ethics etc....has stony brook always been like this? I thought this would only be for the entering class of 2016 with the new mcat etc requirements.

? Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Nope, this is the first time they've required those courses. I went to an open house a few months ago for SB, and a big focus was put on the fact that the Social Science/Humanities and Statistics requirements are new for the 2015 cycle. I guess they're getting a head start on the new MCAT requirements...

hmmm...i took a class in bioethics but its in the bio department and i have it classified as bcpm...do you guys think it will count for bcpm?

I still haven't heard anything from them, verified 07/01, should I contact them or keep waiting? So far I've been getting secondaries about 0-3 business days after most people on SDN report getting secondaries.

Nope, this is the first time they've required those courses. I went to an open house a few months ago for SB, and a big focus was put on the fact that the Social Science/Humanities and Statistics requirements are new for the 2015 cycle. I guess they're getting a head start on the new MCAT requirements...
So I already submitted but had no idea about this. I have everything except the psychology, sociology, etc but I did take a multidisciplinary course in Latin American studies which was a culture/political science/social science course.

Should I ask them if this will suffice or just not bring it up?

Its listed as a course in the anthro dept, the political science dept and the language dept.

so i haven't taken psych or stat yet but i have it planned for the upcoming year (rising senior)
is that kosher?

They ask you to let them know from whom they can expect additional letters of recommendation, but does anybody know how they want to be notified? There's on room for 2 letter writer names on the secondary

submitted...is there a way to check application status?

Gee whiz guys thanks for all the help and support! /s

If anyone else here has the same issue of not receiving a secondary, just give Stonybrook a call. Apparently, their email to me on Jul. 2nd was bounced back before ever reaching me. Luckily, I was told that they haven't forwarded any of our applications to their committee yet, so the fact that I'm two weeks behind everyone else won't be reflect negatively on my application.

Gee whiz guys thanks for all the help and support! /s

If anyone else here has the same issue of not receiving a secondary, just give Stonybrook a call. Apparently, their email to me on Jul. 2nd was bounced back before ever reaching me. Luckily, I was told that they haven't forwarded any of our applications to their committee yet, so the fact that I'm two weeks behind everyone else won't be reflect negatively on my application.

Hey Karasu, thank you for that info.

I had the same problem and thought they would send more secondaries in a different batch. I called and they had to resend it but it wouldn't work so I had to use a different email address for it to work. My original one was a hotmail address if that matters.

Hey Karasu, thank you for that info.

I had the same problem and thought they would send more secondaries in a different batch. I called and they had to resend it but it wouldn't work so I had to use a different email address for it to work. My original one was a hotmail address if that matters.

No problem. I also use Hotmail, or Live.com. Strange....

Got a complete email today. Submitted secondary on 7/8.