2014-2015 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So happy to find an II in my spam folder today! I had all but given up hope on hearing from Stony until Sept-Oct. ^_^

IS, Complete 7/25.

Congrats. Mine went straight to my spam folder as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II, LizzyM 71-72 IS
Sucks that we have to arrange interviews through email, do you guys think they still have fridays open in early Oct.?

II, LizzyM 71-72 IS
Sucks that we have to arrange interviews through email, do you guys think they still have fridays open in early Oct.?

Send them a list of dates that are convenient for you. It worked for me! :)

Current Stony Brook students, any idea when the interview day typically ends? It's unfortunate how the adcom doesn't let you know the interview schedule until a week before.. no idea if I'm going to make my flight :(

I just received an interview invitation here. Any idea what kind of questions they ask during interviews?

Breaklinedestroyed: Email I received says it will end around 5pm

Edit: This is my first time using SDN. Is this the right thread for the MSTP program?

Just got the Complete today, this is really bothering me because I submitted my app on 7/2 and got an email acknowledging that. I thought all of my materials were in, any reason it might have been delayed so long?

Just got the Complete today, this is really bothering me because I submitted my app on 7/2 and got an email acknowledging that. I thought all of my materials were in, any reason it might have been delayed so long?

That's really strange. It must be an error on their part. Hopefully they will treat you as complete on 7/2 rather than now as they can see you submitted everything early.

I just received an interview invitation here. Any idea what kind of questions they ask during interviews?

Breaklinedestroyed: Email I received says it will end around 5pm

Edit: This is my first time using SDN. Is this the right thread for the MSTP program?

For MSTP questions, people typically post in the physician-scientist forum. However, there are not school specific MSTP threads like the Allopathic School Specific threads.

What date are you interviewing @JackieChanFan ? You have an MSTP interview?

Yes, I have an MSTP interview on October 15th. I'm pretty surprised, because I sent out my secondaries in early August and it's only been 3 weeks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, I have an MSTP interview on October 15th. I'm pretty surprised, because I sent out my secondaries in early August and it's only been 3 weeks.

Cool, what PhD are you looking into?

Current Stony Brook students, any idea when the interview day typically ends? It's unfortunate how the adcom doesn't let you know the interview schedule until a week before.. no idea if I'm going to make my flight :(

Two interviews. Sometimes two in the morning. Usually one morning, one afternoon.

Interviewers can be professors, clinicians, admissions deans, or students although I don't believe you'll ever get two students.

As for questions, they are fairly straight-forward and conversational from what I recall. I'm sure there are some oddball ones from oddball interviewers but that's par for the course.

to get an idea of what the interview is like look at SDN's interview section....by far the best/most useful thing on this site
the interview day will likely end before 5.... some people will have 2 morning interviews and are done after the lunch/info session (around 2)

I was wondering the same. Has anyone from mid-late August heard back? Maybe they are still processing july apps.
Nope! Complete 08/11. Waiting to hear back. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 users
VeggieDoc32, would you mind sharing your stats(a rough estimate maybe)? IS?

Hey everyone!

II: 9/9
Complete: 7/13

:)

+1! Complete around the same time

Congrats! You guys are giving me hope. I was complete in July too, so I was afraid I was passed over.

Does anyone know if Stony Brook accepts in the area e-mails? I will be traveling from college out of state to NY in both October and November, so it would be nice to double up

Congrats! You guys are giving me hope. I was complete in July too, so I was afraid I was passed over.

Does anyone know if Stony Brook accepts in the area e-mails? I will be traveling from college out of state to NY in both October and November, so it would be nice to double up
Can't hurt to ask...

II received 9/10!
Application Complete 8/11, OOS

09/16: II
mid-August: complete
3.5x/35
IS

Really excited about this. It is one of my top choices, and my first state school interview. Can't wait for the interview day! No idea when it will be, because you have to email a coordinator, who then gets back to you with options.

II today complete 8/19 3.3/31
AH you give me hope (LM~66 here)! do you mind sharing if you have any outstanding or unique aspects to your app?

II this morning!
Complete July 21st
LM ~69
Good luck to those waiting.

For those who have scheduled/interviewed:
Emailed to coordinate schedule.
Could anybody give an insight on how the scheduling process works? Do we simply go back and forth with the staff until we find a date that works?
I simply emailed saying I got an Interview Invite, and I would like to interview on Fridays.

Congrats! You did it right - the coordinator will work with your dates available to come up with the earliest one at your convenience

II today! IS. Surprised since I was complete on 9/17. Congrats to everyone who received IIs!

AH you give me hope (LM~66 here)! do you mind sharing if you have any outstanding or unique aspects to your app?
All of my information is on my MDapps account, but basically I am an equally contributing first author on a paper, have over four years of research and teaching experience, and volunteer work in underserved communities.

II today as well. IS complete 8/19

Can anyone who interviewed here already comment on how it went/what to expect?

II!!! Completed sometime in early Aug. IS. LizzyM>76. It seems Stony Brook doesn't go through apps in the order of completion date. I have come to love Stony Brook system since about 10 years ago. Very grateful!

II!!! Completed sometime in early Aug. IS. LizzyM>76. It seems Stony Brook doesn't go through apps in the order of completion date. I have come to love Stony Brook system since about 10 years ago. Very grateful!
congratulations!! did you get the email just now? really hoping for some IS SB loving as well