2014-2015 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Still waiting on a secondary as well but I only added Stony to my AMCAS in the middle of last week...

Members don't see this ad.

I had to call in to get them to send it to a different e-mail address. Mine was sent on 7/2 apparently.

finally complete!

anyone know how stonybrook reviews multiple MCATs?

Members don't see this ad :)
Not diggin' the stats and social science requirements. I'm old, and I don't think my mind or my wallet can handle these additional courses I wasn't planning on taking.

I had to call in to get them to send it to a different e-mail address. Mine was sent on 7/2 apparently.

Same here. I wonder why their website is so antiquated and the email list seems to be glitchy.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, just a quick question, how do we start off secondary applications? for example for the question Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? Do we just start off saying Yes.......... and explain why? I don't know how to start off writing the essay, thats pretty much the hardest part for me as I am also not a good writer.

Guys, just a quick question, how do we start off secondary applications? for example for the question Will your education be continuous between college and medical school matriculation? Do we just start off saying Yes.......... and explain why? I don't know how to start off writing the essay, thats pretty much the hardest part for me as I am also not a good writer.
Just say yes and a couple of sentences about what you will be doing this coming fall

Does anyone know when IIs went out last year? I'm really interested in SBU and have an interview at Hofstra in October and although I'm not assuming I'll get an interview at SBU I'm not ruling it out and if it happens I want to stack my interview days if possible...

I believe IIs went out around August 7th last year, but things tend to change year to year.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an II this morning!

Reactions: 1 users
dude, you've been killin it, congrats!
whats your secret?

I have no idea man! Honestly took all the SDN guidance to heart, especially @Goro 's for list making! But besides I am very shocked to be fortunate to have II's this early, I would never have guessed!

I am working on a large xcel file this season which I hope to pass on to future pre-meds detailing my process, dates, and everything! I'll post it here too if you think people would benefit from it!

Reactions: 6 users
I have no idea man! Honestly took all the SDN guidance to heart, especially @Goro 's for list making! But besides I am very shocked to be fortunate to have II's this early, I would never have guessed!

I am working on a large xcel file this season which I hope to pass on to future pre-meds detailing my process, dates, and everything! I'll post it here too if you think people would benefit from it!
Congrats!!! When were you complete if you dont mind?

II today as well. OOS
Complete on 7/16

Submitted 8/4, complete today. Wow! Very fast. Hoping for some love....

Anyone else tackling the MSTP question? How long do they expect that part to be? There isn't a character cap, is there?

Last edited:
Anyone else tackling the MSTP question? How long do they expect that part to be? There isn't a character cap, is there?

It says "Please limit your responses to one page per question."

It says "Please limit your responses to one page per question."

Sorry, I still don't see where it says this in the MSTP prompt, but it does say that for the other essay questions, so I'm guessing it's safe to assume? I thought so as well, but then the last part of the MSTP prompt says, "Please note that these responses do not commit you to a restricted path if you are accepted to SBU; instead, they are used to help us connect you to the interviewers who can best address your potential interests." And a whole page suddenly seemed rather gratuitous if they're just trying to find interview matches.

Sorry, I still don't see where it says this in the MSTP prompt, but it does say that for the other essay questions, so I'm guessing it's safe to assume? I thought so as well, but then the last part of the MSTP prompt says, "Please note that these responses do not commit you to a restricted path if you are accepted to SBU; instead, they are used to help us connect you to the interviewers who can best address your potential interests." And a whole page suddenly seemed rather gratuitous if they're just trying to find interview matches.

Yeah, I think so.

I wrote 1 paragraph (~800 characters) and it seemed to work out.

There's no way to check on the status of your application online is there? It's so frustrating that I have no idea if I'm even under review or on hold or what.

There's no way to check on the status of your application online is there? It's so frustrating that I have no idea if I'm even under review or on hold or what.

Yeah, unfortunately they work through e-mail notifications only.

How long did you guys make your essay responses (in terms of number of words)? One page is so vague, it could be single spaced, double spaced, etc.

II today!!!

EDIT: It was in my Spam folder.

Last edited:
People with II's: have you gotten an interview date yet? I emailed requesting one last week but haven't heard anything yet. Wondering if I should call...

People with II's: have you gotten an interview date yet? I emailed requesting one last week but haven't heard anything yet. Wondering if I should call...

I emailed the coordinator with a preferred date for interview and a few hours later she responded confirming my proposed date. Did you email the coordinator, or the general admissions office? Perhaps if you emailed the general admissions office, they didn't receive it? If it's been a week since you've emailed and still no response I would either send another email to the coordinator or give the admissions office a call.

I emailed the coordinator with a preferred date for interview and a few hours later she responded confirming my proposed date. Did you email the coordinator, or the general admissions office? Perhaps if you emailed the general admissions office, they didn't receive it? If it's been a week since you've emailed and still no response I would either send another email to the coordinator or give the admissions office a call.

Agreed. I had the same experience.

Ahh thank you. Emailed again and got a confirmation immediately!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys so I've been perusing the Stony Brook website in attempts to glean more info about the school but I find their website is rather poorly organized...like I'm trying to find info on student life and student organizations and community service opportunities but have not found anything pertaining to the actual Stony Brook School of Medicine. I search "Stony Brook School of Medicine student organizations" on the google and get nothing. It shouldn't be this hard...

Also, I'm confused about the curriculum. Have they implemented the new "LEARN" curriculum yet / will it be available for the class of 2019? Their admissions page seems to talk about only the old curriculum, so perhaps they haven't updated the admissions page yet??? The MSAR also seems to be talking this "LEARN" curriculum since they reference the "three phases."

I don't know anyone from Stony Brook SOM so my only source of info is from the website. Could either a current Stony Brook med student weigh in on/tell me how to find out about the student organizations, community service opportunities, and the curriculum question--or if someone has found something online that is useful please post here? I would greatly appreciate it!

Ii just now is!!! For those with interviews do we just email the person with a general range of dates? Im a little confused.

E-mail them back and they should be able to tell you

Ii just now is!!! For those with interviews do we just email the person with a general range of dates? Im a little confused.

I gave them dates when I would be in the area and they scheduled me for the earliest one I listed.

II this morning! complete 7/23

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't like that there isn't a way to view a summary of the application after submitting it.
lol When you submitted it they give you an option to save your whole application as a pdf which I did. you should have done that lol.

II this morning!
Submitted Secondary 7/18
Complete 7/25

So happy to find an II in my spam folder today! I had all but given up hope on hearing from Stony until Sept-Oct. ^_^

IS, Complete 7/25.