2014-2015 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thankyou. Any other options apart from Hilton, then. Would be flying in late and dont wanna bother someone that late.
theres also a holiday inn express near by off campus and i think they have shuttle service to campus but dont quote me on that
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, what's the interview day like here?
You usually have 2 morning interviews, with either all faculty or one MS2, then lunch and tour. After tour, there's a short presentation on fin. aid. Some people have their second interview after the FA talk, but most are done after that. Day was over by 1:30
 
Hey everyone! I'm a current MS1 here at Stony Brook. I know I found it very helpful to hear from some MS1's last year while I was applying and interviewing so if anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck to everyone!
 
Hey everyone! I'm a current MS1 here at Stony Brook. I know I found it very helpful to hear from some MS1's last year while I was applying and interviewing so if anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck to everyone!
Hi there. Did you interview early or late in the cycle? Any suggestions for those of us who havent gotten an II. I was complete in mid-Aug so getting a bit worried.
 
I interviewed in early October and got in at the end of October, but I know more than a few people in my class who didn't interview til February or March. All there is to do now is wait-- it's the worst.
 
Hey everyone! I'm a current MS1 here at Stony Brook. I know I found it very helpful to hear from some MS1's last year while I was applying and interviewing so if anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck to everyone!


Thanks for taking the time out to answer questions. How is the interview style at Stony Brook usually like? Where do people who live off campus typically reside? If you live off campus, do you need a car? Finally, how's the financial aid package at Stony Brook like given that it's a SUNY? Thank you!
 
Thanks for taking the time out to answer questions. How is the interview style at Stony Brook usually like? Where do people who live off campus typically reside? If you live off campus, do you need a car? Finally, how's the financial aid package at Stony Brook like given that it's a SUNY? Thank you!

The interviews are generally very laid back-- I think they just want to get an idea of whether you are the way you've represented yourself in your application and to get a feel for your communication skills.

Funny you should ask this because I personally don't have a car (or a license. I'm working on it). There are a few of us without cars and we manage, but it's a lot harder. I'm from the city and I think it made the transition to the suburbs a little more difficult. Having said that, it's very easy to find an off-campus housing that's within biking distance and the odds are very high that you will have a roommate with a car that you can just split costs and carpool with. There's also an on-campus shuttle that works well for me because my house is right off of campus. Most people live in Stony Brook, Centereach, one of the Setauket's or Port Jeff, but there are a few other options.

But yeah, it's much easier and nicer to have a car. It's very much the suburbs here.
 
The interviews are generally very laid back-- I think they just want to get an idea of whether you are the way you've represented yourself in your application and to get a feel for your communication skills.

Funny you should ask this because I personally don't have a car (or a license. I'm working on it). There are a few of us without cars and we manage, but it's a lot harder. I'm from the city and I think it made the transition to the suburbs a little more difficult. Having said that, it's very easy to find an off-campus housing that's within biking distance and the odds are very high that you will have a roommate with a car that you can just split costs and carpool with. There's also an on-campus shuttle that works well for me because my house is right off of campus. Most people live in Stony Brook, Centereach, one of the Setauket's or Port Jeff, but there are a few other options.

But yeah, it's much easier and nicer to have a car. It's very much the suburbs here.

I'm glad to hear the interviews are laid back. I think it's easier to assess whether a school is the right fit for me if the interview is relaxed. That being said, I know I love Stony Brook already so bring it on!

It's good to hear that there are shuttles. I'm sure it will come in handy in the winter. I also have a bike so that's another bonus! Thanks so much for sharing your experience.
 
Hey everyone! I'm a current MS1 here at Stony Brook. I know I found it very helpful to hear from some MS1's last year while I was applying and interviewing so if anyone has any questions, I'll do my best to answer them. Good luck to everyone!

Hey carbonskeleton, what are some of your favorite aspects (whether academic or lifestyle) of Stony Brook that you didn't really realize until you got there? I've been doing research on the school but the information on the SBU website is pretty limited. I'd appreciate any input!
 
Just got an interview invite here. Would love to attend. As mentioned above, anyone have any insight they can provide about how Stony Brook Med is like? Strengths? Weaknesses? I would much appreciate it.
 
Not sure if this has been asked before but does Stony Brook accept update letters?
Yes, I sent them two updates, you email the somadmissions@stony... email address. For the record I got an II a few days after my second update (updated volunteer, academic, and arts activities) and an eventual acceptance, so I can't say the update made a big difference but it def didn't hurt!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey carbonskeleton, what are some of your favorite aspects (whether academic or lifestyle) of Stony Brook that you didn't really realize until you got there? I've been doing research on the school but the information on the SBU website is pretty limited. I'd appreciate any input!

My favorite thing so far about Stony Brook has by far been the people. My class is a great group of intelligent, laid back, and wonderful people and the 2nd years are the same as well as being very supportive and helpful. The professors we've had so far (Biochem and Anatomy) are incredible at what they do and make themselves very available to us. Stony Brook has a very warm atmosphere, which I felt even when interviewing. Med school is exhausting and time consuming so it's important to enjoy the people you're spending all that time with.
 
My favorite thing so far about Stony Brook has by far been the people. My class is a great group of intelligent, laid back, and wonderful people and the 2nd years are the same as well as being very supportive and helpful. The professors we've had so far (Biochem and Anatomy) are incredible at what they do and make themselves very available to us. Stony Brook has a very warm atmosphere, which I felt even when interviewing. Med school is exhausting and time consuming so it's important to enjoy the people you're spending all that time with.

That's really good to hear. I definitely agree that the people are a significant aspect of a medical school (that many people overlook) considering that most schools will ultimately provide similar classes and facilities. I'm looking forward to interviewing here. Thanks!
 
Yes, I sent them two updates, you email the somadmissions@stony... email address. For the record I got an II a few days after my second update (updated volunteer, academic, and arts activities) and an eventual acceptance, so I can't say the update made a big difference but it def didn't hurt!
did you solely include your updates and thats it? or did you write about continuing interest in the school as well?
 
Thankyou. I guess I would settle for Hilton in that case.
Stayed at the Holiday Inn. Literally 5 minutes from the med school. Much cheaper than the Hilton & there is a complimentary shuttle to the Stonybrook Hospital/Health Sciences Center.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Stayed at the Holiday Inn. Literally 5 minutes from the med school. Much cheaper than the Hilton & there is a complimentary shuttle to the Stonybrook Hospital/Health Sciences Center.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn. Literally 5 minutes from the med school. Much cheaper than the Hilton & there is a complimentary shuttle to the Stonybrook Hospital/Health Sciences Center.
Unfortunately booked Hilton already. Paid in advance to get a discounted rate which is non-refundable. Thanks tho.
 
Last edited:
Also a follow up to anyone who've also interviewed, do you guys remember how long they said before decisions would be sent out? I can't remember if they said 4-6 weeks or 6-8 weeks.
 
Does anyone know what time of the day I should expect my interview day to start? I'm trying to figure out whether bus or plane is better. Thanks!!
 
I heard ~6 weeks.
Do you remember - do they give decisions to admit, waitlist and reject or just admit? I see that Lexicographer posted that they were accepted only 2 weeks after they interviewed. Just wondering as that interview date was 10 days after mine and I haven't heard.
 
I don't have the folder of info they gave us on interview day immediately to hand, but there was a sheet in there that laid out the possible options. I believe it was admit, waitlist, and reject. All would be notified via email, but admit would also be sent hard copy.

I do remember clearly that it said decisions took "up to 6 weeks" and sometimes longer.

e1188, this is from memory, so my GPA may be off a little bit, but my stats are roughly: cGPA 3.3, sGPA 3.7, MCAT 35. I'm a post-bacc, and my cGPA is low because of my original undergrad grades, back before I had any idea I wanted to go into medicine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Will they send out an email regardless of whether or not you get an interview? I applied back in mid-July and I haven't heard anything since..
 
I don't know. The sheet where I got that information was specifically intended for interviewees (since it was given to us at the interview), so it did not address communication with applicants who haven't had interview invitations.
 
II this morning! Lizzy M >75 complete in mid-Sept.

Does anyone know which dates are currently being scheduled for interviews, just so I have an idea before I reach out to Ms. Acevedo?