2014-2015 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congratulations!! did you get the email just now? really hoping for some IS SB loving as well
Thank you! I know, that's what I was hoping for as well. Don't give up on our home school.
I totally just received the email. It's funny because i just finished reorganizing my Amazon Sub and Save thing and I received so many useless notication emails. I was like...delete delete delete......Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....what!!!!!!! :=|:-):

Date is already confirmed! Slots available from Nov 11th Tue/Thu/Fri. Fri slots are filled fast according to the admins.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you! I know, that's what I was hoping for as well. Don't give up on our home school.
I totally just received the email. It's funny because i just finished reorganizing my Amazon Sub and Save thing and I received so many useless notication emails. I was like...delete delete delete......Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh....what!!!!!!! :=|:-):

Date is already confirmed! Slots available from Nov 11th Tue/Thu/Fri. Fri slots are filled fast according to the admins.
oh i bet they fill fast! i would may or may not use my interview as an excuse to spend a weekend at home ;)
fingers crossed!

Just scheduled mine for the 18th of Nov...their system for scheduling..is kind of antiquated...but I guess if it works

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
oh i bet they fill fast! i would may or may not use my interview as an excuse to spend a weekend at home ;)
fingers crossed!
Fast is an understatement with regard to the speed of Adcom filling up interview spots this year. Sadly for many schools, the key word seem to be "Gone".

I noticed on Stony Brook's secondary application they ask how much student loans you owe. Since it is on their secondary, this must be important to them. Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage because I have a chunk of student loans to my name?

Last edited:
II on Sept 10th. Complete early August. Canadian, LizzyM ~71

I noticed on Stonybrook's secondary application they ask how much student loans you owe. Since it is on their secondary, this must be important to them. Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage because I have a chunk of student loans to my name?

I doubt it. My good friend at stony brook I know for a fact went in with over 90k in debt after her masters degree and undergrad.

I doubt it. My good friend at stony brook I know for a fact went in with over 90k in debt after her masters degree and undergrad.

You just made me so happy. I feel good knowing that student loans aren't a death sentence for admission. :)

Driving down tomorrow for an interview Friday! Any ideas if places to stay nearby?

Driving down tomorrow for an interview Friday! Any ideas if places to stay nearby?
They have a Hilton Garden Inn right on campus from what I know. Not sure of pricing, though, I can imagine it being a little much.

You just made me so happy. I feel good knowing that student loans aren't a death sentence for admission. :)

No problem. Don't worry! I don't know why they ask that question but, based on what I've seen at least, they don't use it against you if you have a lot of loans

I noticed on Stonybrook's secondary application they ask how much student loans you owe. Since it is on their secondary, this must be important to them. Does anyone know if I will be at a disadvantage because I have a chunk of student loans to my name?

I probably beat everyone from having debt from completing my pharmacy degree. Doesent appear to be a issue since I was granted a interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewing here tomorrow! this area is so nice (i'm from OOS). about to embark on a nighttime journey exploring stony brook's campus across the street from the med campus!

Reactions: 1 users
interviewing here tomorrow! this area is so nice (i'm from OOS). about to embark on a nighttime journey exploring stony brook's campus across the street from the med campus!
I'll be interviewing Friday so let me know how it is!

There's nothing going on here....

PM'd those who wanted info! good luck all :)

Why not just post your interview day on the thread? Is it a secret? #jealous

Does anyone know how many applicants are accepted versus the number that are interviewed? Curious to know.

Does anyone know how many applicants are accepted versus the number that are interviewed? Curious to know.

In 2014:
~5500 applied: ~730 interviewed : ~365 accepted: 128 matriculated.

I believe the accepted # includes those accepted off wait list. So ~6.7% acceptance rate overall.

In 2014:

I believe the accepted # includes those accepted off wait list. So ~6.7% acceptance rate overall.
Wow, that's a pretty high post-interview acceptance rate. 1 in 2, really hopeful now :)

So I completed my secondary back in July but still haven't heard anything.. I also checked last year's thread and the only invites that were sent were for those who were complete later than July.. Are others having a similar situation? Should I assume something from this?

In 2014:

Where did you get the number of accepted applicants?

Can any current MS1's tell us their thoughts on the LEARN curriculum thus far? Does the integration work well? It seems pretty similar to Vermont's with step one being taken early, with more clinical time which seems pretty attractive to me.

So I completed my secondary back in July but still haven't heard anything.. I also checked last year's thread and the only invites that were sent were for those who were complete later than July.. Are others having a similar situation? Should I assume something from this?
Did you receive a complete email?

Edit: interviewing here Friday! Long drive down so thinking of getting there Thurs night and then heading over Friday morning. If anyone has any suggestions for places I should visit around the school let me know!

Last edited:
Edit: interviewing here Friday! Long drive down so thinking of getting there Thurs night and then heading over Friday morning. If anyone has any suggestions for places I should visit around the school let me know!

If you are arriving thursday night, your best bet is Port Jefferson. It has a good variety of bars and restaurants. Toast, Pie, Pasta Pasta etc are all fine places to eat. That's mainly where people go out to.

Just had my interview today and thought I would share my impressions. The day started off for me with a quick lunch with 3 current M2s who seemed very happy to be there and who were very helpful. My major complaint is that we then had a BRIEF tour of about 15mins where we were shown around but really did not see much of the hospital or lecture halls. There was then a short fin aid/admission process presentation and then interviews began for me. I had 2 30 min interviews, one with factulty and one with a student (the student one ended up only being 15 mins). These were very low stress, and I was not asked strange questions or ethical issues. We talked about why medicine, my transition from pharmacy to medicine, my experiences, why sbu, what I bring to the class, and about my research. Both were very friendly people who appeared to be very interested in getting to know me, and overall I felt very welcome and at home here.

Reactions: 5 users
Does anyone know which interview dates will be hearing back on the 15th? At my interview they said 6-8 weeks and then added "but some people may hear back as early as the 15th"

How fast do you hear back after you send a mail for scheduling an interview? Is sending a mail the only way to schedule it? Or you can also do it online?

PM'd those who wanted info! good luck all :)
Can you PM me with some info on this interview as well? Mainly want to know why SBCOM? For me it's a nice location and all but I don't know too much about the curriculum/hospital/what they pride themselves on

Stony doesn't require biochem, does it?
For the 2015 entering class, they do require one semester of biochem. These requirement changes are new, but apply for this cycle. Someone listed the prereqs on the first or second page of this thread I believe. It's also on their website.

A lot of decisions came out today last year for those who interviewed in Sept. Good luck everyone! May we all get acceptances :D

Accepted just now!!!!!!!!!!

I am so freaking happy!!!

Reactions: 6 users
anyone who interviewed on the 18th of september hear anything?