2014-2015 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm still waiting for a portal change :/ I did interview later than you guys though, hopefully I get one next Thursday

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how open they are to changing your clinical campus preference once you've been accepted (but before you matriculate)?

does anyone know how open they are to changing your clinical campus preference once you've been accepted (but before you matriculate)?

They made it seem like it was set in stone since the Bing site has a limited number of seats.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah that's the impression i got from the interview day, but it seems like there should be some sort of way to switch if you're accepted and there are still available seats. they made it clear that campus preference had no bearing on admissions status, just wait list status

yeah that's the impression i got from the interview day, but it seems like there should be some sort of way to switch if you're accepted and there are still available seats. they made it clear that campus preference had no bearing on admissions status, just wait list status

Do they tell you what campus you've been accepted to if you mark that you didn't care? Or had a strong preference for one campus but will go to the other?

There's no "don't care" option - it's either definite bing, definite cuse, prefer bing or prefer cuse. If you're outright accepted you'll get whichever you put, so for instance prefer cuse you get cuse.

They do tell you which you get accepted to, also.

Ok good to know. I didn't remember all the options. I just knew one or two didn't absolutely bind you to one campus.

Reactions: 1 user
I guess we will find out either on Monday or Tuesday since our Portal changed last Thursday. Good luck to you all.

ACCEPTED !!!! Interviewed first week of Jan. IS LizzyM ~ 74

Reactions: 1 users
this is like oprah! you get an acceptance! an acceptance for you too!

Just withdrew my acceptance (from early Jan)...Hope someone deserving gets it.

Good luck and congrats to everyone who just got in.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, congratulations to all the recent acceptances! I am a long time lurker; first time posting here. I was also an 1/14 interview. Did you guys interview in the first part of the day, or the second group of interviews? I still don't have a portal change, nor any emails

HPA. I had a very strong feeling this would be the outcome. Can't say I'm too bummed.

Congrats to all those accepted !!!!!!

Hello, congratulations to all the recent acceptances! I am a long time lurker; first time posting here. I was also an 1/14 interview. Did you guys interview in the first part of the day, or the second group of interviews? I still don't have a portal change, nor any emails
I interviewed in the morning, the first group.

Congrats to all of you guys who were accepted!!Anyone left here with neither an interview invite nor a rejection?lol...heard they are done sending out interview invite!

ACCEPTED TOO!!!!!!! interviewed 1/14, LizzyM 68

went to spam folder, FYI

HPA. I had a very strong feeling this would be the outcome. Can't say I'm too bummed.

Congrats to all those accepted !!!!!!

Were you guys also part of the first interview group? I'm attempting to gauge whether they simply released the results for the first group of 1/14 today and are planning on sending out the afternoon group's batch later

Withdrew yesterday, good luck to everyone!

Are they really that behind on decisions?? I interviewed on 2/11 so I'm more likely to hear back from them in 8 weeks even though they said they were running at about 5 weeks??

Is anyone new to the area thinking about housing yet? I'm looking to find an apartment off campus but close to campus. Is anyone interested in looking for a roommate and apartment?

For any incoming MSI , I would recommend living in Geneva.

It's gonna make your first year go a lot smoother. And your social life will be much better. If not Geneva , then Madison or Jefferson. But Jefferson will be hard because it gets booked madd early.

Some students that I know that are more of the going out type who chose to live off campus said they regretted, and wish they had just decided to live in Geneva.

I know Geneva is a lil pricy for Syracuse, but in the grand scheme I think it's best option. Especially if you're new to area.

You won't have to worry about paying rent, electricity/utilities, and cable/internet every, and parking every month or even furnituring the place. They'll take their piece each semester right from your financial aid haha, you won't even know it.

Last edited:
This year I happen to have been fortunate enough to have gotten into more than one medical school. I have it narrowed down to SUNY Upstate or SUNY Stony Brook but I’m having a tough time making the final decision. I have a couple of questions for current medical students or recent grads, and any insight into what would make Upstate a better (or worse) fit would be greatly appreciated.

A little bit about me first: I’m a non-trad, married and have an 18 month old son. I work as a paramedic and paramedic instructor, spent 4 years in the military and have completed a Master’s Degree in biomedical sciences. My primary interest lies in emergency medicine. I am IS and plan to use my post-9/11 GI bill to pay for school, so cost is not a major concern. Research is not a major consideration for me, but I might be interested in getting involved in clinical research in EM.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you like the new curriculum? Pros? Cons?

2. How are the clinical rotations? Strengths? Weaknesses?

3. How are the faculty? Are there any really great/inspiring faculty members? Any lackluster ones?

4. How are/were your classmates? Are they mostly right out of undergrad or are there a lot with diverse experiences outside of academia?

5. Any benefits or drawbacks of being at a stand-alone medical school as opposed to being associated with a larger university?

6. Any other thoughts or opinions that might help me make the decision?

I really appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you!

Last edited:
Hi everyone, long time lurker here. Does anyone know when financial aid packages come out? I searched through past posts on this thread but no one seems to have brought it up. Thanks in advance!

It might be worth a look through last year's thread. I haven't looked yet but I bet it'd be in there.

There wasn't much about financial aid last year but two years ago, some people posted that they got their packages at the end of March. I'm sure it also depends on when one is accepted.

So who's going to second look?
I will be there! Anyone else?
Still not 100% sure I'll matriculate, but Upstate is definitely a top contender.

Last edited:
How long after committee meetings does it take before their is a portal change? There was a meeting on Monday and my portal hasn't changed so idk if that means they didn't review my app. Thanks!

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/financial_resources/accounts/residency.php

hoping to get the perspective of someone (@upstatemedms1 ?) who knows the school well. my understanding of this page is that as long as you've lived in NYS and "affirm NYS to be your permanent home" (whatever that means), you can get in-state tuition. does that mean any OOS MS2 who's lived off-campus for the first year pays IS tuition?

Not a med student, just an applicant, but I asked this exact question on interview day. There is a process you'll need to go through (idk how long it takes) after your first year, but yes it is possible to start paying IS tuition after a year!

Anyone interviewing here the next week or so?or are they already done with interviews at Upstate?

This year I happen to have been fortunate enough to have gotten into more than one medical school. I have it narrowed down to SUNY Upstate or SUNY Stony Brook but I’m having a tough time making the final decision. I have a couple of questions for current medical students or recent grads, and any insight into what would make Upstate a better (or worse) fit would be greatly appreciated.

A little bit about me first: I’m a non-trad, married and have an 18 month old son. I work as a paramedic and paramedic instructor, spent 4 years in the military and have completed a Master’s Degree in biomedical sciences. My primary interest lies in emergency medicine. I am IS and plan to use my post-9/11 GI bill to pay for school, so cost is not a major concern. Research is not a major consideration for me, but I might be interested in getting involved in clinical research in EM.

Here are my questions:

1. How do you like the new curriculum? Pros? Cons?

2. How are the clinical rotations? Strengths? Weaknesses?

3. How are the faculty? Are there any really great/inspiring faculty members? Any lackluster ones?

4. How are/were your classmates? Are they mostly right out of undergrad or are there a lot with diverse experiences outside of academia?

5. Any benefits or drawbacks of being at a stand-alone medical school as opposed to being associated with a larger university?

6. Any other thoughts or opinions that might help me make the decision?

I really appreciate any advice you can provide. Thank you!

Hey there. Im a current MS2 and Ill try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

1) New curriculum is much stronger in my opinion. The school has been adamant about getting feedback and has actively been restructuring the order/content for the MS1/2 years. The general flow is to start with all of the basic science up front and then to progress via systems (cardio/pulm/endocrine/etc), this includes the histology,physiology,relevant anatomy, etc. for each of those systems--this makes way more sense to me. I think the biggest pro is that the faculty are really receptive to feedback and want the best for there students.

2) Clinical rotations. So the vast majority of your clinical experiences will come in years 3 and 4 but we do get a variety of clinical exposures during the 'pre-clinical' years. These range from nursing experiences, subspecialty, surgery, internal med. Additionally, the Practice of Medicine course incorporates clinical exposures into their coursework (writing notes, learning the skills of physical exams and history taking).

3) Faculty on the whole are very good. Much of the pre-clinical (especially MS1) is taught by PhD's and that is both good and bad. They know a lot about the content but also are not the most oriented towards the USMLE exams (whether or not they should be teaching to the test is another topic I think). I have been really impressed though.

4) My classmates are easily the most impressive thing about SUNY Upstate in my opinion. We have a very diverse group of students from all sorts of backgrounds. Most people are a year or two removed from undergrad but we also have many people in their 30's and a couple in their 40's. I know several classmates who have children and three classmates (that I know of) expecting children in the next couple months.

5) SUNY Upstate is a teaching hospital that works with a level 1 trauma center that serves nearly 20 counties extending from the PA to the Canadian border. Personally, I couldn't think of a better environment for medical education. We see cases that would be referred away form smaller and/or more rural settings.

6) Finally, I think that you ought to (and likely have) explore what your priorities really are and then take a close look at what each of these schools brings to the table. I am obviously biased, but I think that SUNY Upstate provides an excellent education and offers a lot of opportunities that might not be found at other schools.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey there. Im a current MS2 and Ill try to answer some of your questions as best I can.

1) New curriculum is much stronger in my opinion. The school has been adamant about getting feedback and has actively been restructuring the order/content for the MS1/2 years. The general flow is to start with all of the basic science up front and then to progress via systems (cardio/pulm/endocrine/etc), this includes the histology,physiology,relevant anatomy, etc. for each of those systems--this makes way more sense to me. I think the biggest pro is that the faculty are really receptive to feedback and want the best for there students.

2) Clinical rotations. So the vast majority of your clinical experiences will come in years 3 and 4 but we do get a variety of clinical exposures during the 'pre-clinical' years. These range from nursing experiences, subspecialty, surgery, internal med. Additionally, the Practice of Medicine course incorporates clinical exposures into their coursework (writing notes, learning the skills of physical exams and history taking).

3) Faculty on the whole are very good. Much of the pre-clinical (especially MS1) is taught by PhD's and that is both good and bad. They know a lot about the content but also are not the most oriented towards the USMLE exams (whether or not they should be teaching to the test is another topic I think). I have been really impressed though.

4) My classmates are easily the most impressive thing about SUNY Upstate in my opinion. We have a very diverse group of students from all sorts of backgrounds. Most people are a year or two removed from undergrad but we also have many people in their 30's and a couple in their 40's. I know several classmates who have children and three classmates (that I know of) expecting children in the next couple months.

5) SUNY Upstate is a teaching hospital that works with a level 1 trauma center that serves nearly 20 counties extending from the PA to the Canadian border. Personally, I couldn't think of a better environment for medical education. We see cases that would be referred away form smaller and/or more rural settings.

6) Finally, I think that you ought to (and likely have) explore what your priorities really are and then take a close look at what each of these schools brings to the table. I am obviously biased, but I think that SUNY Upstate provides an excellent education and offers a lot of opportunities that might not be found at other schools.

what an awesome post. hearing from people who love their school is always exciting.

I loved my interview day here. praying everyday to somehow make it off the HPA list

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I really appreciate it!

Did anyone get invited for the AMSNY Program? Also, can any of the current student explain the program and the interview process? Thank you

this may have been previously posted but can any current student offer advice for 1st year student housing? madison vs geneva?

On a more important note - lol jk - who's going to second visit next week? :)