-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2014-2015 West Virginia University Application Thread
Started by gettheleadout
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Congratulations to everyone being accepted off the wait list! I just wanted to remind those who will be matriculating this fall to please join the WVU School of Medicine Class of 2019 Facebook group. If you can't find it by searching, just shoot a message to me 🙂.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats!!! 🙂 hoping to join you! Come on waitlist keep on movin!I got accepted off the waitlist! Keep the faith, everyone!
(OOS, female, MCAT 30, GPA 3.97, lots of leadership and experiences)
I can't wait to be a Mountaineer!
Were you all notified that you were accepted off the wailtist by email?
Waitlisted back in December and really hoping to be a Mountaineer!!!
Waitlisted back in December and really hoping to be a Mountaineer!!!
Were you all notified that you were accepted off the wailtist by email?
Waitlisted back in December and really hoping to be a Mountaineer!!!
I received notification via e-mail, and I will get a letter some time this week.
How do you withdraw? Can you call?
You should probably send something written, either an email or snail mail.How do you withdraw? Can you call?
You should probably send something written, either an email or snail mail.
Do you know what email to use? I am currently out of the country and don't have my interview packet. I remember them saying to use different/specific email for post-interview communication.
Before I started the aid packages were delayed mid-June so it's not unusual to not have gotten then yet. Maybe try emailing financial aid?Has anyone received the financial aid package yet? On the sole account it says we should be expecting it around May 15. Just wondered if anyone has had their final financial aid awards posted already?
How did those of you who are reapplicants make out this year?
Granted I raised my MCAT by 8 points; I was accepted this year (wait- list last year).How did those of you who are reapplicants make out this year?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
CONGRATS!!! When did you interview?Accepted this morning! OOS (no ties), female, MCAT 30, GPA 3.64, military service and 4000+ patient care hours
Received a call from Dr. Hazard who said I will receive an email and letter
Has anyone received the financial aid package yet? On the sole account it says we should be expecting it around May 15. Just wondered if anyone has had their final financial aid awards posted already?
I received my aid package back in March
Welcome! What service? MOS?Accepted this morning! OOS (no ties), female, MCAT 30, GPA 3.64, military service and 4000+ patient care hours
Received a call from Dr. Hazard who said I will receive an email and letter
Is anyone who has been accepted off the waitlist turning down the offer, or are you still waiting for your #1 school to pull you off their waitlist?
WVU is my #1 and I have been on the waitlist since December. I just am trying to stay positive while figuring out my chances as the cycle comes to an end...
WVU is my #1 and I have been on the waitlist since December. I just am trying to stay positive while figuring out my chances as the cycle comes to an end...
Interviewed October 1stCONGRATS!!! When did you interview?
Ok. They did told me back in March that they will give me a scholarship but they did not give me any package with for example the loans etcI received my aid package back in March
You can contact financial aid at the HSC and ask about it. They're really helpful. I got scholarships after the school year started that I needed, but hadn't been given initially.Ok. They did told me back in March that they will give me a scholarship but they did not give me any package with for example the loans etc
Any HSTA graduates in the upcoming class? Or current classes if one should happen to read this post?
Ok. They did told me back in March that they will give me a scholarship but they did not give me any package with for example the loans etc
When I spoke to financial aid yesterday, they said that not all of the scholarships had been awarded yet but that if you don't see any added by June 15th, you likely will not be receiving any scholarships. But, based on what Darth Doc said, there may actually be some available later!
They gave us access a few weeks ago and I was accepted back in January. If you were recently accepted, you should be getting access soon. Don't worry most things are due on July 31st. You will still have plenty of time.Do any accepted students remember about how long it took to receive access to the SOLE site?
@JWell , have they sent you the letter with your Mix account information? I think that's where I first saw my Student ID#
It was a letter that gave you your Student ID# and your Mix account info (for school email) etc.
Edit to add: It is also listed at the bottom of your financial aid offer letter if you have received that
It was a letter that gave you your Student ID# and your Mix account info (for school email) etc.
Edit to add: It is also listed at the bottom of your financial aid offer letter if you have received that
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just google wvu student ID (or something similar) and you will open a page that will ask you your date of birth and SSN and then will give you the student ID. That's how I found it.Maybe this is a silly question, but where do you find your Student ID# (as needed on the top of the immunization form, as well as needed for first time log-in to STAR)? I've accessed my SOLE account, but cannot get in STAR....
Any wait list news?? Still hoping to hear something before it's too late!
Just google wvu student ID (or something similar) and you will open a page that will ask you your date of birth and SSN and then will give you the student ID. That's how I found it.
Awesome, it worked! Thanks much
There is a $100 deposit, I believe. They'll send you information via snail mail on where to mail your deposit. However, I did this about 7 months ago, so someone else can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.Once accepted there is not a deposit, right?
There is a $100 deposit, I believe. They'll send you information via snail mail on where to mail your deposit. However, I did this about 7 months ago, so someone else can feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Thanks for the reply. That's strange though, I didn't receive anything about a deposit. Was that information included with the technical standards form?
How significant is the waitlist movement for OOS students at this school? I saw that pretty much everyone got waitlisted early on, so I'm wondering if it's worth applying. Also are there any plans to integrate more PBL or hands on learning into the curriculum?
I would say that most of the wait list movement is OOS students. WVU gives priority to in-state students initially and there are fewer of them on the wait list for this reason and also because there are a small number of in-state applicants.How significant is the waitlist movement for OOS students at this school? I saw that pretty much everyone got waitlisted early on, so I'm wondering if it's worth applying. Also are there any plans to integrate more PBL or hands on learning into the curriculum?
Hey everyone! I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this but does an OOS secondary invite equate to an interview invite for West Virginia? How harsh is their pre-secondary screen? Thank you! And congrats on surviving your cycle!
I would say it is very very likely that you'll get an II if they send you the secondary. They do send IIs to a lot of OOS applicants, tough. I would say around 700 per year. I think they screen applicants based mostly on their personal statement/ ECs to determine how they connect with the school's mission. To me , that is the most important thing for them. Regardless, don't lose hope! I never thought I would be offered an II and now I will be attending here in August. Never stop believing in yourself.Hey everyone! I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this but does an OOS secondary invite equate to an interview invite for West Virginia? How harsh is their pre-secondary screen? Thank you! And congrats on surviving your cycle!
Thanks oli33ful! I got a II!!!! Really excited to interview here. How many OOS applicants do they end up offering acceptances to?I would say it is very very likely that you'll get an II if they send you the secondary. They do send IIs to a lot of OOS applicants, tough. I would say around 700 per year. I think they screen applicants based mostly on their personal statement/ ECs to determine how they connect with the school's mission. To me , that is the most important thing for them. Regardless, don't lose hope! I never thought I would be offered an II and now I will be attending here in August. Never stop believing in yourself.
Hey everyone! I haven't been able to get a clear answer to this but does an OOS secondary invite equate to an interview invite for West Virginia? How harsh is their pre-secondary screen? Thank you! And congrats on surviving your cycle!
If you get a secondary, you're most likely going to get an II. They have actually been accepting more and more OOS students. Of course they have to accept a certain amount since they're funded by the state. I just looked at the stats for last year's number and about 50 students out of the class of 110 were OOS, meaning they probably send out about 70-100+ acceptances (this is just my guess because they need to send out more acceptances than they have seats.) Apparently they haven't had as many IS students applying to the program (due to a decreasing young population in the state) so that's why they've sent out more acceptances to OOS students. But be wary because they do interview 700+ each yr just from OOS lol regardless I was OOS and they liked me enough to accept me so I'll be attending there next month 🙂
Good luck!
First of all, congrats on you II. You're one step closer.Thanks oli33ful! I got a II!!!! Really excited to interview here. How many OOS applicants do they end up offering acceptances to?
According to MSRA and other forums I've read, they interview around 700 OOS applicants each year and offer like 70 acceptances ..
At the end, around 50 something people matriculate. As you may have also read, most OOS applicants are waitlisted and accepted little by little or at the end of the cycle. Do not feel intimidated with these numbers like I once was. If you really love the school and wanna go there,be confident in yourself and show them as many things as you can during that short interview. They just want to get to know you better so everything will be based on your primary app, especially any life experience they found interesting . If you have any weaknessess , tell them how this doesn't affect your potential to be an amazing doctor. Don't be cocky but show them how proud you are of yourself for all the great things you've done all these years to prepare you for this profession (in a humble way, if you know what I mean).Don't make up ties with the region or anything like if you don't have any because you'll be caught. I'm from a far away state and still got in. Most importantly, be honest and be yourself! Good luck. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats! Here's a link to the Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1514420422159985/Just got in off of the waitlist!!!! Anybody know how I can join a facebook group or something to try to find housing in the next week?
It might not help much for housing though, but wouldn't hurt to post something. A lot of the apartments within walking distance are probably full unless you're okay paying for a two bedroom. If so, look into Chateau Royale, Georgetown Apts, and Copperfield Court. If you're okay with driving there are tons of apartment complexes still looking for people. Some are geared towards undergrads, but they should be fine (The Domain, The Lofts, Copper Beach). The Villas are pretty nice and quiet and just a short drive to school. You can also look on Sole, there's a for sale/rent section on there. Just a few ideas!
i'll tell you what a dean of admission at a different school told me: "i've never seen a student accepted at a school they didn't apply to". in other words, the only way to get on the WL (if not outright accepted) is to apply. some on the WL do get in, happens every year.How significant is the waitlist movement for OOS students at this school? I saw that pretty much everyone got waitlisted early on, so I'm wondering if it's worth applying. Also are there any plans to integrate more PBL or hands on learning into the curriculum?