2015-2016 Baylor College of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am thoroughly disappointed with Baylor's conduct in the admissions process to be perfectly honest

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I called Baylor and the lady said that the committee is still accepting students. Also, since April 30 falls on a Saturday, we have until the next business day, May 2 to decide.

I called Baylor and the lady said that the committee is still accepting students. Also, since April 30 falls on a Saturday, we have until the next business day, May 2 to decide.

That honestly is bull. That would be really low of them to do.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
i dont think they are giving out any more calls before the waitlist

If they did indeed extend the date to today, they will have a clear idea about number matriculating by tomorrow morning assuming the timeline ends at midnight.

I assumed they were, the last two years they sent the waitlist emails out on April 24th, so I'm not sure what's going on this year..my hope is they are waiting for people to withdraw as it nears the deadline and so they will call a few people this week :D

I read somewhere that last year's decision day was April 15th, rather than the 30th. If that was correct, then by that model, we have until the second week of May before we get the waitlist emails. Floods or no, they actually seem to be on the same track as last year, if you put the later deadline into perspective. There were apparently some calls around 5/5 last year, so (accounting for the extra few days) some of us might hear something next week.

I called the admission's office today and was told that they are still accepting people but the waitlist emails should go out sometime this week.

Well at least they finally sent it out. Oh well, here's hoping acceptances will come soon!

Just got a waitlist email

+1. Baylor used to be my first choice, now it's dropped very low and I'll be attending somewhere else. Sad. If their admissions office hadn't been so terrible this year maybe I'd stay on the waitlist.

Just got the wl email. Does this mean that there were rejections, or is everyone on the wl that was not accepted?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that were just wait listed, did your file completion/status check change?

Based on MSAR I'd guess that everyone is on the waitlist. They say 500 are on the waitlist and they give out roughly 300 acceptances. So that covers basically everyone that interviewed.

+1. has Baylor been known to give financial aid to individuals who are accepted from the waitlist?

Someone asked during our interview day if they ever sent out rejections post interview. Baylor said no, they just take people off the waitlist as needed. I got the waitlist email as well.

WL and withdrew. Thanks for nothing Baylor! Pretty much the only school where my opinion decreased over time as a direct result of being left hanging for so long. So frustrating

What, did you want them to hold your hand through every step of this and give you minute to minute updates on any decisions they made? Sounds like Baylor made a crappy choice interviewing you, given how ungrateful you are.
Every other school gave a date that they would give decisions if decisions went out late or they told you they would either accept or reject you off the bat. Baylor interviewed us in September and hasn't said a single thing to us since then. That honestly is piss poor. It is not too much to ask for a little bit of correspondence. These are peoples lives...they should have at least a little information. It is disrespectful and shows little concern for students who are planning their future. But I guess you just know SOOO much that you feel the need to be a jerk to someone for no reason. Asking for respect is not "bitching about stupid things."

Well if you listened to the presentation, or read other people's posts on this thread, we were specifically told that if we interviewed, we were ranked once the committee met and do not get rejected post interview. They would then take people off that rank list slowly. They also said that if you get an interview, you will not be rejected until some point before class starts; that you would automatically be placed on the waitlist. So, using deductive reasoning, you would know your status throughout this entire process until you get pulled off the waitlist.

So again, since you already know your status, what other information would you have liked to know from them?
I feel like people are still allowed to express their feelings and people are allowed to get upset about being left hanging. Panda16 expressed that they were disappointed with Baylor and their feelings are valid whether or not you agree. They were going to stop anyway after they withdrew, I don't know why you felt the need to call them out. Don't read if you don't want to.

Reactions: 3 users
What an enthralling debate! At the risk of internet ridicule my opinion is that if they really are holding onto ~500 ranked applicants for maybe ~10-20 waitlist spots then that's hundreds of people who have already been "de facto rejected" that they are forcing to stay in limbo for no good reason. I know I'm holding off on certain preparations for the school I am currently set to attend solely because my application here is still active.

Reactions: 5 users
I'll chime in that my son received a wait-list email from Baylor today too. They said they cannot tell him his position on said list, but that they expect to pull from the list into mid-June.

In other news, my friends and I made a video. It's very pertinent. Enjoy!

Reactions: 6 users
What an enthralling debate! At the risk of internet ridicule my opinion is that if they really are holding onto ~500 ranked applicants for maybe ~10-20 waitlist spots then that's hundreds of people who have already been "de facto rejected" that they are forcing to stay in limbo for no good reason. I know I'm holding off on certain preparations for the school I am currently set to attend solely because my application here is still active.
And here lies my point....TY TY for being the real life example I am talking about haha! But really, I am glad some of you guys agree. I'm not asking for sports updates (minute to minute), I'm just asking for a "hey, here is how things look, this is what you might expect" every couple months.

Reactions: 1 users
Every other school gave a date that they would give decisions if decisions went out late or they told you they would either accept or reject you off the bat. Baylor interviewed us in September and hasn't said a single thing to us since then. That honestly is piss poor. It is not too much to ask for a little bit of correspondence. These are peoples lives...they should have at least a little information. It is disrespectful and shows little concern for students who are planning their future. But I guess you just know SOOO much that you feel the need to be a jerk to someone for no reason. Asking for respect is not "bitching about stupid things."
RT RT RT

I mean it's fine, I'm going to another really good school so I'm obviously very pleased with the way my cycle turned out. It's just too bad that Baylor had to be so "string me along"-y to me and so many other talented applicants I met at my interview, such as @RunnerforLife14 . I just believe (and I think that lots of people would agree with me) that when Baylor's peers are so much more timely in actually communicating results of your interview that this type of delay is unacceptable. I interviewed 7 months ago and this was the first official communication from their office.

That's objectively ridiculous.

Reactions: 6 users
Have any accepted students received merit scholarships? I recall the Deans saying the committee would meet in April and make offers through mid-May. Just curious if it seems like the bulk of them had already been handed out.

Got accepted off the WL today OOS!! Interviewed in late January! For all you out there still on the waitlist, hang in there. The wait is definitely worth it:) Ahhhhh so excited!!

Reactions: 7 users
Got accepted off the WL today OOS!! Interviewed in late January! For all you out there still on the waitlist, hang in there. The wait is definitely worth it:) Ahhhhh so excited!!
First acceptance I've seen for January or February interviewers. Happy news!

Wow! Congratulations!! :) :) :) so great to see some good news on this forum finally hahah you give us all hope :cat:

I just got a missed call from Baylor and am freaking out! What phone number did your call come from?

I just got a missed call from Baylor and am freaking out! What phone number did your call come from?
I just got the call from the medical school's main number I believe. I was running on the treadmill and practically fell off when I saw that Houston area code:) And thank you everyone, I wish you all the best of luck!! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I don't want to cause any anxiety or any hopes, but the WL is finally moving. 6 people were added to the fb group over the last day or two.

Hopefully we see more acceptances over the next couple of days.

Reactions: 2 users
congrats to all those who've heard back!

In other exciting news, you might have a certain movie star in your class... https://youtu.be/EgdxIlSuB70

proof at 0:52 seconds :)

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations to everyone who just just accepted! Please I have a question about the pre-entry program offered by UT Houston and BCM. I just got accepted to participate in the program, can anyone who attended or knows someone who attended the program give me pros and cons of participating in this program? Thanks!