2015-2016 Dartmouth College (Geisel) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This year's prompts:

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2015-16 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure if I'm nontraditional enough, but tossing my hat into this ring.

"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.”

....Top choice

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've loved this school for years!
Non-trad applicant. I'm hoping for some love :)

Applying as well.

Good luck to all!

Good luck to everyone!

Considering applying, but can't seem to find much info about student life other than what's on their website. Does anyone know what currents/former students think about living in Hanover, general Dartmouth atmosphere, or having such a small class size? I read somewhere on sdn that everything is really focused around undergrads and med students might feel left out.

Probably a reach for me, but excited to apply here! Good luck ya'll

Just an FYI guys, not being non-traditional doesn't at all preclude you from being accepted here. Yes, Geisel has a fairly high median age, but plenty of students are accepted straight out of college as well. Don't worry too much about that if you really want to go there.

for any current students at Geisel or those who received II's or acceptances in the past, I was wondering what topics you picked for the "Other info not on your AMCAS" secondary essay? I read in the 2014 thread that Geisel really likes quirkiness, etc. Wondering if I should use a diversity essay, update them on a current summer internship, or write about something personal.

Definitely one of my top choices! Thanks

for any current students at Geisel or those who received II's or acceptances in the past, I was wondering what topics you picked for the "Other info not on your AMCAS" secondary essay? I read in the 2014 thread that Geisel really likes quirkiness, etc. Wondering if I should use a diversity essay, update them on a current summer internship, or write about something personal.

I was offered an interview here in the previous cycle. I just took a look at my answer to that question: I wrote about my goals after medical school and specific parts of Geisel could help me accomplish those goals. From talking to other people who were offered interviews here or even ended up being accepted, it seemed to vary greatly between applicants. Write about whatever you want, as long as you think it'll give the admissions committee another perspective to view your application from. It really does seem to be a blank tablet.

Good luck to everyone!

Considering applying, but can't seem to find much info about student life other than what's on their website. Does anyone know what currents/former students think about living in Hanover, general Dartmouth atmosphere, or having such a small class size? I read somewhere on sdn that everything is really focused around undergrads and med students might feel left out.

I went to school in a small New Hampshire town for high school and to a giant urban school for college - I thought the first was much nicer! Esp. since you'll be studying a LOT, being a bit further is nice. You can always take an Amtrak to Boston in my view

Reactions: 1 users

Hi! I was accepted here off of waitlist just a few weeks ago. I'm not really a non-trad student; I graduated undergrad just a year ago and this gap year I got my masters. I also did not know that dartmouth liked non trad students when I applied so I took my essay in a different direction; I actually used that essay to bring up my struggle with a medical condition I have and what I learned from that. I also tied it into a VERY brief explanation of why my grades were how they were in the beginning of college rand how I overcame it. I want to stress that it was a VERY brief explanation of my grades though.

Anyway, I want to say good luck to all of you!!! I know this is a stressful time, but please if you have questions about the medical school process in general feel free to PM me. I just went through what you guys are about to go through and I'd love to share insight with anyone who is interested. I'll be on here until class starts in August:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed here and was the only non-traditional candidate on my interview day. Most there were people were in their early 20s and a year or two out of school, if not currently in school.

I'm applying here as a non-trad. It's a slight reach, but we'll see what happens! Good luck everyone.

Applying here, I'm likely borderline, but all I can do is wish for the best!

People seem to be shying me away from applying here as a traditional applicant, but they won't stop me!

my favorite reach school! hoping for some love!

Reach for me as well, but I have always been a fan of this school!

Applying here as trad applicant. Hope they show me some love anyway! :love:

I'm definitely wondering this as well. I was thinking of possibly writing a diversity essay or writing about a personal challenge. Would love to hear what successful applicants wrote about for this topic.

I also had a question about listing our senior year courses. Would appreciate any help regarding this.

"Please indicate your plans for the 2014-15 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]."

I know my fall courses for sure and can list them, but I was wondering about spring courses. I only know about 1-2 courses that I am certainly taking in the spring, but I would have to make my best guess on the rest. I was wondering if its better to take my best guess and list those courses or if I should just list the courses I'm definitely going to take and say "Additional courses TBD" or something like that?

Thanks! Appreciate the help!

I also had a question about listing our senior year courses. Would appreciate any help regarding this.

"Please indicate your plans for the 2014-15 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected]."

I know my fall courses for sure and can list them, but I was wondering about spring courses. I only know about 1-2 courses that I am certainly taking in the spring, but I would have to make my best guess on the rest. I was wondering if its better to take my best guess and list those courses or if I should just list the courses I'm definitely going to take and say "Additional courses TBD" or something like that?

Thanks! Appreciate the help!

I didn't even know my fall courses at the time - I just guessed and they still gave me an interview. I don't think this has too much bearing on the success of your application.

Hey all! I'll be starting at Geisel in August, so if you have any questions about the application process/essays/interviews feel free to ask. Good luck! :)

Hey! I was accepted here, and I used the bulk of my diversity essay but changed a few things. HOWEVER my diversity essay was pretty strong, and immersing myself in different cultures has been a big part of who I am. Don't use it as a way out just because you don't want to write another essay. If you feel strongly about diversity and if it actually means a lot to you, go ahead! Either way, they just want to get to know who you are - and in my opinion, it's nice if you show a side of you that doesn't necessarily have to do with medicine.

Secondary received! Same prompts as last year:
Please indicate your plans for the 2015-16 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

Please indicate your plans for the 2015-16 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email at [email protected].

Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.
We are definitely have some school application overlap. This school secondary is so much better than the Duke one. I'm still struggling with the "advocacy". Think I'll focus on the Dartmouth, makes me feel a lot better.

If they don't specify a word/character limit what limit should we give ourselves? 250-300 words?

Secondary received pre-verification

Hey! I was accepted here, and I used the bulk of my diversity essay but changed a few things. HOWEVER my diversity essay was pretty strong, and immersing myself in different cultures has been a big part of who I am. Don't use it as a way out just because you don't want to write another essay. If you feel strongly about diversity and if it actually means a lot to you, go ahead! Either way, they just want to get to know who you are - and in my opinion, it's nice if you show a side of you that doesn't necessarily have to do with medicine.
Thanks for the advice, this was the thought process I used when I pre-wrote the prompt.

Hmmm...

In the secondary, it has biochemistry listed as 4 hours. What if you didn't take biochemistry lab? D:

+1 secondary!
@medic86 I can't imagine they would fuss if biochem lab isn't offered, but I might email and check?

For the second prompt, do you think it would be appropriate to write about a rough semester where my grades dropped due to overcommitment and the steps I took to afterwards to fix my performance?

+1 secondary received! Verified 6/17.

Last edited:
I have a question concerning the Premedical Requirements on the secondary application, specifically for Biochemistry.

My school is on a quarter system, and I took one quarter of biochemistry. My official transcript hours are listed as 4, and AMCAS converted that value into 2.7 semester hours.

Does this satisfy the one-half year requirement despite the application listing "Biochemistry (4 Sem. Hrs.)"?

If so, do I input "2.7" into the "AMCAS Sem. Hours" box?

If not (and since they want you to put In Progress courses), what should I input for "College," "Department," "Course #," "Course Name," and "AMCAS Sem. Hours" if I am not currently enrolled in any sort of biochem course and don't plan to enroll until next year (before matriculation)?

Do they screen applicants before sending secondaries at Dartmouth?

Received and completed secondary this morning. Good luck to everyone.

If I took more than one Biochemistry course, should I list all of them? Each one is 3 semester credits, and I just want to make sure I cover all my bases.

If I took more than one Biochemistry course, should I list all of them? Each one is 3 semester credits, and I just want to make sure I cover all my bases.

Don't think it would hurt... I only listed my one course at 3 sem units, and added my full year + labs of Ochem classes to cover my bases that way :)

For the second prompt, do you think it would be appropriate to write about a rough semester where my grades dropped due to overcommitment and the steps I took to afterwards to fix my performance?

I think it would be the perfect place to explain that, go for it!

Is there any point in getting this one submitted early? Their 'How to Apply' page states that
Dartmouth How to Apply said:
Applications are reviewed from September through April. You will be notified by email when a decision is reached regarding an interview.

So...no need to rush, right?

can somebody post the secondary essay questions? Is the only one the one asking about plans during the 2015-2016 academic year?

@Ismet

1. Please indicate your plans for the 2015-16 academic year. If in school, please list your courses. If working, let us know something about the nature of your job. If your plans or courses change subsequently, you need to inform the Admissions Office by email

2. Please share with us something about yourself that is not addressed elsewhere in your application and which could be helpful to the Admissions Committee as we review your file.

No listed character limit, though that doesn't mean there isn't one.

Edit: I manually tested the first box (the small looking one) and it let me enter over 10,000 characters,, so I think we can go with 'no limit'.

Last edited: