2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone thinking about applying here? I'm on the fence o_O

I am considering this. My dad lived in the Hampton Roads/Tidewater area and loved it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard great things about EVMS and they have new facilities coming in. Whats the harm in applying? :)

Joining the thread. Currently waitlisted at EVMS. Fingers crossed, but definitely reapplying this year.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone have thoughts about why/if this school stands out among the other VA schools? I can see that they're known for their community involvement, but beyond that I'm not sure. It would be great to hear from some current medical students.

Anyone know if their OOS number are 'true' OOS or do they have a regional bias? Are state ties important for OOS applicants?

could anyone post the secondary if they have received it?

Members don't see this ad :)
secondary received just now; can upload it once I am free! Good luck to everyone who is keeping strong through these secondaries!

Reactions: 1 users
@Stethonope, when did you submit your primaries/when did you get your primaries verified??? Still waiting on a secondary :/

I was all verified and ready to go as soon as AMCAS sent the primary app to schools, so I would not panic! I am sure one is coming your way soon!

Just got the secondary this am. I was verified mid-June. I'm trying to view the supplemental essays but it won't let me proceed to that part of the application until I've completed all of the other sections. On the required coursework it is asking me to indicate the date I completed the course: month/day/year. That is so specific! I don't know what to indicate for my AP courses. On AMCAS I included them in the fall semester of my freshman year but should I indicate when I finished the course in high school? Month/year would be way easier... Or even semester.

i haven't gotten one yet either! i heard they screen, but i don't think i would have gotten screened out at least stats wise, LizzyM ~76..

I finally got to the supplemental materials and they look like they are the same as last years

- Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

- What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

- What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

- Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

- Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

They also want a passport-sized photo (2 x 2 inch image = 144 pixel x 144 pixel image).

Reactions: 2 users
I finally got to the supplemental materials and they look like they are the same as last years

- Briefly describe your exposure to medicine:

- What do you think you will like best about being a physician?

- What do you think you will like least about being a physician?

- Describe yourself and your medical career as you see it ten years from now:

- Please indicate your reasons for applying to EVMS:

They also want a passport-sized photo (2 x 2 inch image = 144 pixel x 144 pixel image).

thanks! are there character limits?

also, those who received them already, were you IS or OOS?

Just got the secondary this am. I was verified mid-June. I'm trying to view the supplemental essays but it won't let me proceed to that part of the application until I've completed all of the other sections. On the required coursework it is asking me to indicate the date I completed the course: month/day/year. That is so specific! I don't know what to indicate for my AP courses. On AMCAS I included them in the fall semester of my freshman year but should I indicate when I finished the course in high school? Month/year would be way easier... Or even semester.

I just got off the phone with the EVMS admissions, who are nice/helpful. They said that you don't need to be specific with the month/day/year. She told me to just put the first day of the month and the year. They eventually compare these to the AMCAS transcript info anyway.

I just got off the phone with the EVMS admissions, who are nice/helpful. They said that you don't need to be specific with the month/day/year. She told me to just put the first day of the month and the year. They eventually compare these to the AMCAS transcript info anyway.
Thank you so much!

Anyone know if research counts as exposure to medicine in the first question? Or does it strictly entail being in a clinical setting?
I think it could if it was medically related. I only talked about my clinical exposure because I didn't think my research was super relevant. Are you coming anywhere near 2,000 characters in your answers to each question? A lot of my answers sort of overlap.

Yeah I'm having trouble fitting most things and most of my questions overlap as well. My research consists of researching a novel method for drug delivery for cancer, do you think that would be relevant?

I would mention it if I were you. I wrote about my research, which was related to global health. The fact that the prompt says 'medicine' leads me to believe you can talk about stuff other than strictly clinical experience...

Yeah I'm having trouble fitting most things and most of my questions overlap as well. My research consists of researching a novel method for drug delivery for cancer, do you think that would be relevant?
I agree with @Eddy342. Research is a part of medicine after all :)

anyone else still waiting for the secondary?....

Reactions: 8 users
anyone else still waiting for the secondary?....

I am, surprisingly I've received some secondaries from a few heavy-screeners so I'm still holding out hope!! *fingers crossed*

ETA: Got it today (7/23)! I'm in state. I think they were waiting for my new MCAT scores from 6/19. Whoop!

Last edited:
just got the secondary, never mind! from the way they wrote it, it doesn't seem like there was a screen? thought there was

I'm pretty sure they still screen

Just received OOS Secondary.

I'm wait listed here for 2015 and haven't received a secondary yet.

OOS just received secondary this morning. This is one that I didn't pre-write......

I still haven't received a secondary! OOS.