You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I'm OOS and received the secondary today. 3.58/34 and taking a gap year currently. I'm actually not sure if I want to complete the secondary anymore. Looking back at past years' posts, it seems that even though EMVS takes ~50% OOS, they strongly prefer their SMP grads. With the cost of attendance also being so high, I'm not sure if I should continue with my application here. I'm applying to 19 other schools so hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot. Can anyone comment on this..?
IS and got it today. 2000 characters seems like overkill...
Is the 100 credits include AP or just graded classwork?
That's what I thought! I feel like I've adequately answered the questions in only 500 characters :/IS and got it today. 2000 characters seems like overkill...
I definately think that for most of the essays you don't need it. Especially the doctor questions. That's what I'm telling myself.That's what I thought! I feel like I've adequately answered the questions in only 500 characters :/
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I hope so. I'm going to reassess tomorrow and try to write lengthier answers to some of the questions without adding a bunch of "fluff." This would be so much easier if I was naturally gifted at writing. Good luck to you!I definately think that for most of the essays you don't need it. Especially the doctor questions. That's what I'm telling myself.
Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
+1Still haven't received a secondary. AMCAS was submitted and verified early June. OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
C
Clockwork Biology
+3 but I'm still waiting on one of my LORs
Speaking of which, how long are y'alls essays so far for those of you that have started them? I feel like writing 5 essays close to the 2000 character limit would just be a massive pain in the butt for them to read through.
For me, the questions asking what I'll like most/least about medicine are only going to be ~500 characters. I just don't think as premeds there is a ton we can really write. My other 3 are around 1000.
So I'm OOS and received the secondary today. 3.58/34 and taking a gap year currently. I'm actually not sure if I want to complete the secondary anymore. Looking back at past years' posts, it seems that even though EMVS takes ~50% OOS, they strongly prefer their SMP grads. With the cost of attendance also being so high, I'm not sure if I should continue with my application here. I'm applying to 19 other schools so hopefully I'm not shooting myself in the foot. Can anyone comment on this..?
I just finished the last application cycle and *thankfully* got into several schools my first try. I decided to go to EVMS because of the huge tuition benefit of being IS. MY advice is only apply to public medical schools of the state in which you can claim residency. Aside from that only apply to private school. Private med schools and public OOS cost about the same but at least with private schools everybody is on the same playing field.
Unless you're URM, in which case definitely apply to EVMS.
have you started your first year yet? what's your favorite thing about EVMS? i'm IS as well and so staying in virginia would be a big plus for me
I just finished the last application cycle and *thankfully* got into several schools my first try. I decided to go to EVMS because of the huge tuition benefit of being IS. MY advice is only apply to public medical schools of the state in which you can claim residency. Aside from that only apply to private school. Private med schools and public OOS cost about the same but at least with private schools everybody is on the same playing field.
Unless you're URM, in which case definitely apply to EVMS.
Hi there. I'm an OOS applicant (California) and a URM and I just added EVMS to my list of schools. Just out of curiousity why do you think URM applicants should definitely apply?
scholarship opportunities perhaps or something along those lines? Dunno but maybe that is what he/she meant.Hi there. I'm an OOS applicant (California) and a URM and I just added EVMS to my list of schools. Just out of curiousity why do you think URM applicants should definitely apply?
OOS and just received the secondary!
OOS. Just got the secondary.
OOS and no secondary... Also wondering the same thing as @idkididk
Anyone else having trouble with the "Briefly describe your exposure to medicine" question? I keep worrying it will just sound like my experiences section and personal statement all over again.
I kind of just gave a chronological list of my clinical activities. Just several sentences for each experience.
does anyone mind PM'ing me the prompts?
or are they the same as last year?
or are they the same as last year?
Haha, yeah, I guess. But for me, I filled in context to make it more coherent. For instance, I talked about family experiences with illness and how that kind of initiated my interest in medicine. From there, I described how one experience led to another, which was more difficult to do in the AMCAS primaryBut isn't that basically what the AMCAS experiences section did?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do they really require 2 semesters of O. Chem lab? Is this common at other undergrad universities besides mine?
I believe this requirement captures a 5+5 curriculum:
Orgo I + Lab (5 credits, 1 course)
Orgo II + Lab (5 credits, 1 course)
However, what's very common is:
Orgo I (4 credits, 1 course)
Orgo I Lab (2 credits, 1 course)
Orgo II (4 credits, 1 course)
Still 10 credits... Most schools are familiar with both scenarios. The content covered in a 2 credit orgo lab course more than covers the lab material from the 5+5. Should you have any doubts, I would either include a note about it with your applications or contact the admissions department directly. This won't inhibit a potential acceptance - if they have any issues you will just have to take a lab course before matriculation.
Last edited:
My school offers a separate lab course beside the lecture course. Like we have 3 gen chem courses (4 quater units) + a gen chem lab that is 4 units. same with ochem. Does it satisfy the requirement? if so, how can i list the course? it requires me to enter 2 labs. or else i cant even reach the secondary questions part
am i the only one struggling with this photo submission? My photo is definitely 2 x 2 in just like a passport style, but it keeps saying that my photo is too big? wtf?
urg i finally figured it out. for those of you having the same problem, use this link and edit your picture to 144 x 144 pixel size. http://www.superresize.me/
I put mine in Microsoft Paint and used the Resize function, then entered in 144x144! Pretty easy fix
The lab requirements are funky. My institution was quarter system and I had a separate class for G-Chem Lecture 1 (4 unit), G-Chem Lecture 2 (4 unit), and then G-Chem Lab (3 unit). Would that be sufficient? I have the same exact situation with o-chem: two 4-unit Orgo Lectures + one 4-unit Orgo Lab.
C
Clockwork Biology
Finally made it through the screen today. Hoping for some VA love!
Has anyone that's submitted received an email saying that their file is complete? I submitted mine 7/17 and my LOR's have been assigned to the school since 6/2, yet I haven't gotten an email.
got the complete email today. submitted 7/18
Got a rejection today pre-secondary, OOS. Weird. I have an II from another school already and I've never been denied a secondary before. Oh well.
Got a rejection today pre-secondary, OOS. Weird. I have an II from another school already and I've never been denied a secondary before. Oh well.
An OOS friend of mine had the same thing happen. He called and asked - apparently they're screening out any GPA <3.4 (unclear if this is overall, science, or both)
An OOS friend of mine had the same thing happen. He called and asked - apparently they're screening out any GPA <3.4 (unclear if this is overall, science, or both)
That seems to make sense, both my GPAs are under 3.4. The messed up thing is, on their MSAR their 10th percentile sGPA is 3.0 and cGPA is 3.2. My GPAs were comfortably above those thresholds, so I wasn't expecting to get screened out on their account. My MCAT is well above their 90th percentile, to boot.
I think what is happening is that they're screening out OOS, non-URMs with sub 3.4 GPAs in order to make room for IS/URMs with low GPAs. I'm not saying this to complain, but simply I can't think of any other explanation for the discrepancy between their supposed screening policy and their 10th percentile GPAs.
That's unfortunate. Did they say you could contest or talk about it with the office?That seems to make sense, both my GPAs are under 3.4. The messed up thing is, on their MSAR their 10th percentile sGPA is 3.0 and cGPA is 3.2. My GPAs were comfortably above those thresholds, so I wasn't expecting to get screened out on their account. My MCAT is well above their 90th percentile, to boot.
I think what is happening is that they're screening out OOS, non-URMs with sub 3.4 GPAs in order to make room for IS/URMs with low GPAs. I'm not saying this to complain, but simply I can't think of any other explanation for the discrepancy between their supposed screening policy and their 10th percentile GPAs.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nah, I didn't speak to anyone, just going off of clee13's post. Anyway, if they don't want to send me a secondary of their own volition the only thing arguing with them about it would accomplish is wasting money and time and not coming any closer to getting an interview.
It must be overall gpa <3.4 because my sGPA is 3.3 and I got a secondary. I'm oos w a 30 mcat
Presecondary rejection today! OOS, overall and sGPA are both above a 3.4
It doesn't make sense to me that 3.4 is their cutoff. My cGPA and sGPA are both below a 3.4 and I received a secondary last week. If it matters, I'm OOS with a 35 MCAT.That seems to make sense, both my GPAs are under 3.4. The messed up thing is, on their MSAR their 10th percentile sGPA is 3.0 and cGPA is 3.2. My GPAs were comfortably above those thresholds, so I wasn't expecting to get screened out on their account. My MCAT is well above their 90th percentile, to boot.
I think what is happening is that they're screening out OOS, non-URMs with sub 3.4 GPAs in order to make room for IS/URMs with low GPAs. I'm not saying this to complain, but simply I can't think of any other explanation for the discrepancy between their supposed screening policy and their 10th percentile GPAs.
Its a mixture I think of grades and ECs or something else.It doesn't make sense to me that 3.4 is their cutoff. My cGPA and sGPA are both below a 3.4 and I received a secondary last week. If it matters, I'm OOS with a 35 MCAT.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K