-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I am OOS and just received an II. I'll be declining it...hope it goes to one of you in-state folks!
Accepted via email! Interview mid December. OOS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations 🙂 When in December, may I ask?Accepted via email! Interview mid December. OOS
What day did you interview in december?Accepted via email! Interview mid December. OOS
I can't remember if this is the case with EVMS (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the timeliness of your decision depends on whether your interviewers were at the adcom meeting; I know it can be frustrating when people who interviewed later than you hear back before you do but it could just be that their interviewers already met and yours didn't yet.Aaaahh I interviewed before that and haven't heard back yet!
((PS @coldcase331 wrong Rukia lol))
I can't remember if this is the case with EVMS (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but the timeliness of your decision depends on whether your interviewers were at the adcom meeting; I know it can be frustrating when people who interviewed later than you hear back before you do but it could just be that their interviewers already met and yours didn't yet.
((PS @coldcase331 wrong Rukia lol))
If I had one of my interviewers on the adcom but one wasn't, would both of them have to attend the adcom meeting? I thought the student interviewers simply interviewed but weren't part of the actual meetings
I believe it would just be the adcom/faculty and not the student. All of your interviewers probably submit a written evaluation of sorts and some schools will have the non-student interviewers sit in on the adcom meeting. This is what I gather from multiple threads so I can't guarantee that this is the case for EVMS (I follow too many threads to keep track) BUT if there are people hearing back post-interview in a non-linear fashion, then I would assume that this is the reason.If I had one of my interviewers on the adcom but one wasn't, would both of them have to attend the adcom meeting? I thought the student interviewers simply interviewed but weren't part of the actual meetings
Are all decisions (acceptance, WL, rejection) sent out via email first?
Yes. I didn't receive any other form of communication for a decision.
Waitlisted in the upper 1/3. Interviewed 12/16
Sorry to hear that but the upper 1/3 is a good place to be on the waitlist! I'm still waitingWaitlisted in the upper 1/3. Interviewed 12/16
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How do you know where you are in the upper third?
How do you know where you are in the upper third?
That's just what the kind admissions staff member said!
Does this school practice yield protection? I thought my interview went fairly well, waitlisted near bottom of upper third
What is yield protection?
Yield protection is the idea that a school will not offer an acceptance to a candidate with high stats because they believe that the candidate would probably choose a higher tier school. In a sense, it's the belief that med schools will not give an acceptance to someone who might be applying to that school as a "safety school". That's what I gather from SDN; if anyone has a better definition, feel free to chime in.What is yield protection?
In response to the OP's question, I feel that if a school offers you an interview, they are genuinely interested and are willing to offer an acceptance. I don't see the point of a school giving an interview if they have already decided that they won't consider you for the entering class. IMHO yield protection probably plays a bigger (if any) role when giving out II's.
Waitlisted on 12/16 and accepted today!!
Woah!! I knew they were BSing when they said they won't pull from the waitlist until April! Did you send any updates?Waitlisted on 12/16 and accepted today!!
Congrats! Can you share where you were on the wait list before being accepted?Waitlisted on 12/16 and accepted today!!
Yeah I was surprised to hear from them so soon! Didn't send any updates.Woah!! I knew they were BSing when they said they won't pull from the waitlist until April! Did you send any updates?
Thank you! I actually didn't call the admissions office to ask where I was at on the wait list.Congrats! Can you share where you were on the wait list before being accepted?
Best of luck to you all - I'm sure you will hear great news soon!!
I'm sorry 🙁 Do you know which third you're in?Waitlisted; interviewed 12/16...looks like I won't be getting any acceptances before my birthday 🙁
I haven't called the office yet; I found out shortly after leaving an interview today (lol) so I might call tomorrow morning before the day 2 activities of my current interview visit or Thursday. Hopefully it'll be top third!!I'm sorry 🙁 Do you know which third you're in?
Waitlisted on 12/16 and accepted today!!
CONGRATULATIONS! Will you be taking this acceptance?!
I interviewed then and have not heard anythingHas anyone who interviewed on 12/18 heard back?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck! I interviewed dec 16 too (mid 1/3) and she told me that they pull from all corners of the waitlist. I'm hoping for a rabbit to come out of this hat hahaJust called and I'm in the upper third of the waitlist so fingers crossed for eventual good news! The lady told me that they do pull a few people off the waitlist before spring but most movement will be during spring.
II today. Complete last week of August. Dates were available for the first and second week of February.
For people who were put on hold there's hope. I had called the admissions office this morning and they had said my app was reviewed and put on hold. I then received the II about an hour later.
For people who were put on hold there's hope. I had called the admissions office this morning and they had said my app was reviewed and put on hold. I then received the II about an hour later.
Last edited:
Would you mind sharing if you IS or OOS? Congrats!II today. Complete last week of August. Dates were available for the first and second week of February.
Thanks! OOS, LizzyM ~ 69Would you mind sharing if you IS or OOS? Congrats!
II today. Complete last week of August. Dates were available for the first and second week of February.
For people who were put on hold there's hope. I had called the admissions office this morning and they had said my app was reviewed and put on hold. I then received the II about an hour later.
Congrats! Does EVMS prefer if you call at a certain time to speak to their admissions office?
Thanks! The ad office is open from 9 to 5 and I called around 12:17 so I doubt they have a preferenceCongrats! Does EVMS prefer if you call at a certain time to speak to their admissions office?
I'm wondering what the major mission(s) of EVMS are. My impression is that they pride themselves for their strengths in primary care education. It also appears that there is substantial research bring conducted at the institution. However, is EVMS necessarily interested in candidates with strong research backgrounds or generally more interested in producing leaders in primary care? Any thoughts on the goals of EVMS and what sort of candidates they're interested in would be greatly appreciated!
I'm wondering what the major mission(s) of EVMS are. My impression is that they pride themselves for their strengths in primary care education. It also appears that there is substantial research bring conducted at the institution. However, is EVMS necessarily interested in candidates with strong research backgrounds or generally more interested in producing leaders in primary care? Any thoughts on the goals of EVMS and what sort of candidates they're interested in would be greatly appreciated!
I find EVMS draws on candidates who have demonstrated some commitment to their respective communities and will seek to give back to them. I don't think I've heard of EVMS priding themselves on primary care education. The 'major mission' here is to be the most community focused medical school. Lastly, there are plenty of students at EVMS without 'strong research backgrounds', I feel the key thing is having some sort of research experience in the past, regardless of if you published/presented or not. Hope this helps.
Withdrew my II and application on Friday. Hope it goes to one of you gals/guys!
Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just called the admissions office and she says that those who are put on hold are likely to get rejected since its so late in the cycle (especially if you dont hear by the end of feb). Well at least she was honest :/
:/. Well there's still a little bit of time until the end of Feb, so I'll still remain hopeful!Well I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I just called the admissions office and she says that those who are put on hold are likely to get rejected since its so late in the cycle (especially if you dont hear by the end of feb). Well at least she was honest :/
you're right 🙂 i'm just cranky haha:/. Well there's still a little bit of time until the end of Feb, so I'll still remain hopeful!
Anyone know what email address I can send thank you letters to? They didn't give us any info or handouts on interview day
No I absolutely understand. But it's out of our hands unfortunately.you're right 🙂 i'm just cranky haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I sent mine to the email I received my secondary from. That's what they told me when I called.Anyone know what email address I can send thank you letters to? They didn't give us any info or handouts on interview day
II today! My first OOS invitation
II today! My first OOS invitation
Congrats! Gives me hope! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking and do you have strong ties or no? I am also OOS waiting to hear back
Congrats! Gives me hope! When were you complete if you don't mind me asking and do you have strong ties or no? I am also OOS waiting to hear back
No ties to the area.. complete 9/11
Similar threads
- Replies
- 35
- Views
- 11K