2015-2016 Eastern Virginia Medical School Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Anyone sent in an update letter and gotten a confirmation email? I sent one a few weeks ago but never heard anything.
 
Hoping to hear back from them this week. Should I call and ask when the admission committee is meeting or should I just be patient? I figure calling won't get me my result any faster.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hoping to hear back from them this week. Should I call and ask when the admission committee is meeting or should I just be patient? I figure calling won't get me my result any faster.
They have been very receptive to phone calls in the past. I was wondering if they were going to send out notices this week also. It's been a couple weeks since they have.
 
Hoping to hear back from them this week. Should I call and ask when the admission committee is meeting or should I just be patient? I figure calling won't get me my result any faster.

They're always super nice on the phone. You should call them up! Then we all can have peace of mind lol
 
can anybody shed some light on what the interview is like? i'm sure that information is somewhere in the thread, but I just sorted through 3 pages and couldn't find anything so I'm resorting to this lol. anything as far as open vs. closed and question style- I remember reading that EVMS is particularly interested in hearing your opinion on healthcare policy/reform and medical ethics. but I could've easily made that up.

any help would be appreciated! 🙂

Hey, I interviewed last week! So the day starts off at 10 am with an introduction to the school and their standardized patients, which they are very well known for. You then go on a tour of the hospital (Sentara or Children's, depending on the day of the week) led by hospital volunteers, and then a tour of the school led by med students. You get taken back to a conference room for lunch and a simultaneous presentation on student life and then financial aid. After that you hang around until your interview time (2:00, 2:45, or 3:30). And yes, you will definitely want to be knowledgable about healthcare and medical/workplace ethics for the interview.

Best of luck!
 
Oooh, thanks for checking! 😀 I wonder how many interviewees they're going to get to..I interviewed a couple weeks ago, hoping to hear back soon.

I wonder if we had the same interview day. Was it you who was saying in the women's interview clothing thread that some dummy changed into sweatpants after the interview and got weird looks? Because now I'm thinking that was definitely me.
 
I wonder if we had the same interview day. Was it you who was saying in the women's interview clothing thread that some dummy changed into sweatpants after the interview and got weird looks? Because now I'm thinking that was definitely me.
I think you interviewed a week or two ahead of me? I was on the 20th. And I wouldn't think you were a dummy if I saw you 😉 I just didn't realize that was something ppl could do, otherwise I would have totally been on board, haha! I am not a fan of professional attire, lolz.
 
I think you interviewed a week or two ahead of me? I was on the 20th. And I wouldn't think you were a dummy if I saw you 😉 I just didn't realize that was something ppl could do, otherwise I would have totally been on board, haha! I am not a fan of professional attire, lolz.

Okay, yeah, I interviewed ahead of you. But then that's funny because it means that girls leaving EVMS in sweatpants is a reoccurring phenomenon. Lol. The admissions staff is soooooo nice, though. I explained to them that I needed to change for my drive home and they were like "Just use this bathroom right here." And then we were laughing because I forgot to bring my sneakers in from the car to change into, so I actually left in sweatpants and heels. Good times.
 
Okay, yeah, I interviewed ahead of you. But then that's funny because it means that girls leaving EVMS in sweatpants is a reoccurring phenomenon. Lol. The admissions staff is soooooo nice, though. I explained to them that I needed to change for my drive home and they were like "Just use this bathroom right here." And then we were laughing because I forgot to bring my sneakers in from the car to change into, so I actually left in sweatpants and heels. Good times.
Haha! I was the opposite leaving EVMS, I brought a pair of running shoes & changed in the parking deck. Suit and sneakers, sweats and heels, all good haha.
 
Hey, I interviewed last week! So the day starts off at 10 am with an introduction to the school and their standardized patients, which they are very well known for. You then go on a tour of the hospital (Sentara or Children's, depending on the day of the week) led by hospital volunteers, and then a tour of the school led by med students. You get taken back to a conference room for lunch and a simultaneous presentation on student life and then financial aid. After that you hang around until your interview time (2:00, 2:45, or 3:30). And yes, you will definitely want to be knowledgable about healthcare and medical/workplace ethics for the interview.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much, I'll be touring the Children's hospital which I'm really excited about. Again, thanks for the help and good luck to you as well! 🙂
 
Okay, I called and they are meeting tonight.
This is good to hear! This is my top school and I really hope we hear this week! I have one DO acceptance that wants $1,500 to save my spot by December 15th. Fingers crossed that we hear this week-- I'd love to go here.

Edit: annnndddd, waitlisted. OS, interviewed on 11/13. This is my third wait listing.
LizzyM score of 72
 
Last edited:
@NHtoNCbound, we interviewed on the same day! I got waitlisted too. IS, LizzyM ~72. I called and they said I was in the top tier of the wait list, but they also said that they won't be pulling anybody off the waitlist until April. Which is weird, because I thought people on this thread have already been pulled off the wait list.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@NHtoNCbound, we interviewed on the same day! I got waitlisted too. IS, LizzyM ~72. I called and they said I was in the top tier of the wait list, but they also said that they won't be pulling anybody off the waitlist until April. Which is weird, because I thought people on this thread have already been pulled off the wait list.

Hi there! They told me I was in the top 1/3 as well! I'm super bummed about this waitlist but the top 1/3 is comforting. I really liked the school and it's going to be a long wait until April/May. Keeping my fingers crossed for both of us!
 
Also interviewed on 11/13, also got waitlisted today. @NHtoNCbound, I'm in the same exact place with the deposit. Guess I'll go ahead and send it then.
 
anyone willing to do my dirty work and ask them if 11/18 interviewees were included in the meeting last night? I'm paranoid
 
anyone willing to do my dirty work and ask them if 11/18 interviewees were included in the meeting last night? I'm paranoid
If you didn't hear today, I expect that your interview date might have not been discussed last night. I think they meet every 2 weeks.
 
I interviewed 11/20, haven't heard anything back yet either. Thinking they probably haven't gotten to our group yet...
 
OOS applicant, interviewed 11/06 and got the alternate list email today! Called admissions and was told I'm in the top 1/3 of the list (YAY) but that they're not going to pull from it until April (bummer)
 
can anybody shed some light on what the interview is like? i'm sure that information is somewhere in the thread, but I just sorted through 3 pages and couldn't find anything so I'm resorting to this lol. anything as far as open vs. closed and question style- I remember reading that EVMS is particularly interested in hearing your opinion on healthcare policy/reform and medical ethics. but I could've easily made that up.

any help would be appreciated! 🙂


Hey, I interviewed on 10/23. My interview was relaxed and laid back. They asked me 4-5 generic interview questions, then we chatted about random things (cooking, movies, gardening), shared relevant stories to the questions, and then, towards the end, they realized they needed to ask me an ethical question. I wasn't asked at all about healthcare policy/reform or medical ethics. It seems one person had my file open, as they asked about my background in research, but only for a minute or two. Overall, I walked out feeling a lot more relaxed than I expected. I did not prepare in any way for my interview, did not bring anything with me, and did not review my app before. My advisers simply told me "know thyself" for interview advice, so just going in and being myself was the best decision I could have made, as I was accepted 10 days later. I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any further questions.
 
So I have an interview coming up on 12/16 and had a question about my current travel plans. My interview is suppose to end at 2:45 and I currently have a 4:30 flight out of Norfolk. Are they usually on time with the interviews? And what would be the most reliable way to get to the airport so I don't miss my flight?
 
So I have an interview coming up on 12/16 and had a question about my current travel plans. My interview is suppose to end at 2:45 and I currently have a 4:30 flight out of Norfolk. Are they usually on time with the interviews? And what would be the most reliable way to get to the airport so I don't miss my flight?

Most started on-time but there were a few that started about 10 minutes late. However, most didn't last the entire 45 minutes, it seemed like 25-40 was the norm.

I called a taxi as soon as I was done and it came within 10 minutes, then the drive was about 20-25 minutes. You're definitely cutting it close but Norfolk is a small airport and being a Wednesday afternoon, it only took me 5 minutes to get through security. So I think you'll be okay!
 
So I have an interview coming up on 12/16 and had a question about my current travel plans. My interview is suppose to end at 2:45 and I currently have a 4:30 flight out of Norfolk. Are they usually on time with the interviews? And what would be the most reliable way to get to the airport so I don't miss my flight?

Agreed with mcatjelly I think you should be fine, since it sounds like you're in the first interview group you shouldn't have to deal with anyone running late.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have an interview coming up on 12/16 and had a question about my current travel plans. My interview is suppose to end at 2:45 and I currently have a 4:30 flight out of Norfolk. Are they usually on time with the interviews? And what would be the most reliable way to get to the airport so I don't miss my flight?

Did you call and make sure that you have a 2:00 PM interview because they can be at 2:00, 2:45, or 3:30.
 
I'll be flying in on Monday for the 12/16 interview so if anyone wants to meet up Monday/Tuesday and do some mock interview practice, PM me! ^^
 
How does anyone pay for this school??

but in all seriousness, any current students coming from OOS, or OOS applicants with any ideas on financial aid and stuff? feel free to PM if that's more comfortable

I have the same exact question. From my interview day it seemed like they don't offer financial aid packages with acceptances? And that we wouldn't know if we even get scholarships until the first semester?
 
I posted my experience on the previous page. I had a great experience, it was way less intimidating than I thought it would be.

Hey, I interviewed last week! So the day starts off at 10 am with an introduction to the school and their standardized patients, which they are very well known for. You then go on a tour of the hospital (Sentara or Children's, depending on the day of the week) led by hospital volunteers, and then a tour of the school led by med students. You get taken back to a conference room for lunch and a simultaneous presentation on student life and then financial aid. After that you hang around until your interview time (2:00, 2:45, or 3:30). And yes, you will definitely want to be knowledgable about healthcare and medical/workplace ethics for the interview.

Best of luck!
 
For those of you who sent in update letters, what email did you send them to since EVMS doesn't really have a portal? Thanks!
 
any advice for interview day? what's the panel like?

All the interviewers seemed really nice. No one came out feeling bad (At least visibly). You have at least 2 interviewers, with the possibility of a 3rd. Expect
questions about your activities and experiences, and one ethics-esque questions. Lots of people got asked about the affordable care, but others got confidentiality scenarios, and I got a liability scenario. U. Washington has a great page on all sorts of medical ethics topics that was great for brushing up on. Most interviews lasted 20 to 30min, but if you go last (like me) it can last almost an hour.
 
+1. Not sure if I should or even want to call to find out...

I feel the same way. Like, if I call and I find out that I'm going to get an interview or that I've been turned down for an interview, will it change anything? Sure, I'll know sooner but I don't know if I'll be able to derive any sort of happiness from that advance notice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just finished my interview, really impressed with the school and the atmosphere. The interview was really relaxed and the student/faculty were welcoming and friendly. The one thing that concerns me is that I wasn't asked any ethical questions or something about healthcare like everyone else has mentioned. I'm not sure if that means that they didn't want to bother because I'm auto-reject, or they thought I was competent enough to the point where asking the question would be a waste.