You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
2015-2016 George Washington University Application Thread
Started by Ismet
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Complete on 7/7. Not sure when I received the hold status, but I've got it now. My stats are 3.5 cGPA, 3.2 sGPA, 30 MCAT and 3.8 post-bacc/med masters program GPA. Definitely feeling the neuroticism but trying to stay positive! I went to undergrad in DC and would love to go back.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just noticed my hold status today.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When were you complete?
When were you complete?
I believe I was complete 7/2
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just noticed a hold status.. Complete on the 9th.
I really wonder how they do it. I feel like it must be one by one instead of waves. Complete on the 9th with LizzyM 70. I got NADA
I really wonder how they do it. I feel like it must be one by one instead of waves. Complete on the 9th with LizzyM 70. I got NADA
same :| all this wait is killin me
If you don't mind me asking, what did the portal message change to?I went from complete to under review. Submitted 7/8
"Your file is under review"If you don't mind me asking, what did the portal message change to?
I apologize if this is repetitive- I know people have asked about the "clinical experience" prompt...I kinda wanted to write about my experience working with special needs kids at a sleepaway camp- I was the one responsible for them so I definitely had contact, but I'm not sure if that's considered clinical. Anyone have any thoughts?
If there wasn't a doctor around then it wasn't really clinical, was it?I apologize if this is repetitive- I know people have asked about the "clinical experience" prompt...I kinda wanted to write about my experience working with special needs kids at a sleepaway camp- I was the one responsible for them so I definitely had contact, but I'm not sure if that's considered clinical. Anyone have any thoughts?
If I meet someone with diabetes at the grocery store that doesn't mean my grocery trip was a clinical experience.
@rachiie01 lol fair enough! But if you spent 24/7 for 4 weeks with that diabetic, caring for their needs (taking them for food, medication, and fun) would that make a difference? The only reason I was hoping it would count is because it's one of the major contributors to me wanting to become a doctor, even though technically there was no doctor present.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@rachiie01 lol fair enough! But if you spent 24/7 for 4 weeks with that diabetic, caring for their needs (taking them for food, medication, and fun) would that make a difference? The only reason I was hoping it would count is because it's one of the major contributors to me wanting to become a doctor, even though technically there was no doctor present.
While that sounds like a good motivational experience to me, it doesn't fit the traditional clinical experience mold. I would advise against using this experience for that particular part of the prompt, but instead talk about it in a more general prompt. When you are in a clinical setting there is just a different kind of dynamic that you are being exposed to, and you are observing what a physician's life is really like. I think that those qualities of a 'traditional' clinical experience supersede the more involved nature of what you did at camp.
Yeah, you're both right. I think I was just trying to convince myself otherwise! Thanks guys!!
Hi there,
On the two most meaningful what if I already talked about it in the AMCAS app??
I'm not affiliated with GWU. I'm just your friendly neighborhood mod providing the prompts that someone sent to me.
For the most meaningful clinical experience, how are we supposed to describe that in 350 characters? Are we just supposed to list the experience like "hospital volunteering" or are we supposed to describe an actual incident in that few characters?
Any ideas anyone?
D
deleted702880
Honestly on this kind of stuff id just go with whatever feels right. You can definitely make a little blurb that would help (I did) but it's totally your call in the end.Any ideas anyone?
I've been on hold a long time and no II, so I don't think it necessarily means an II is coming 🙁
Same here, it will probably be 9 months of silence for me as well.🙁I've been on hold a long time and no II, so I don't think it necessarily means an II is coming 🙁
I'm still on hold. But don't get discouraged! Remain patient, they aren't checking applications every day. If you got put on hold just this past week, it's unlikely they have even opened your application file since then! Just check back each week and see if anything changes, that is what I am going to do!
I'm still on hold. But don't get discouraged! Remain patient, they aren't checking applications every day. If you got put on hold just this past week, it's unlikely they have even opened your application file since then! Just check back each week and see if anything changes, that is what I am going to do!
I completed on July 2 LizzyM 74.5 Been on Hold since July 7. I wonder how the different schools do this. Any enlightened ones on this thread care to shed some light?
From last year's thread, the hold has really no meaning except that you are still just waiting. Some people were called to interview, others were not. At least that's how it is for GWU.I completed on July 2 LizzyM 74.5 Been on Hold since July 7. I wonder how the different schools do this. Any enlightened ones on this thread care to shed some light?
For the prompt that asks about full-time activity, is it appropriate to list the random activities I do each week like jogging, biking, gym, swimming etc? I work as a part-time EMT for about 20-25 hours each week and the only other thing I do, beside working on my secondaries, is exercise.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
No you are fine, if they interview you it will be because you are good to go there, not how long it takes you to submit a secondary, which would be the dumbest reason to pass up on a good applicant.I got the secondary on 7/1, but I am sending it in today. Am I too late? What is the consequence?
Just got put on hold LizzyM 70. Any insights? Am I out of the running?
Read above.
Just got put on hold... and praying for an II hahha
Still no change, geez
Although I keep neurotically checking all these threads for "updates" for no reason, as it has been stated by someone above, some people are on hold for months, and others put on hold get IIs days later. So to all those wondering what hold means, I guess we can just take it as "not much," and frantically check other school threads instead.
Also complete on 7/11 and no hold yet
+1
On hold here, too. Submitted secondary on 7/2. At least it's better than a rejection? Or have no rejections gone out yet?
is applying here with a 27 worth it?
A 27 places you in the 10th percentile of MCAT score accepted by GW according to MSAR. So, it's possible!is applying here with a 27 worth it?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do you mean 6/9..?Has anyone, who was complete 9/9, still have the "completed app" message? Alternatively, has anyone who was complete after 9/9 gotten a hold / change of status?
Oh jeez, I meant 7/9 (completed secondary by then)
Do you mean 6/9..?
I am on hold complete 7/9. My speculation is a ton of people have gotten holds but no one has (on SDN at least) indicated they got an interview this past week. Maybe they are getting ready to send out the next back of interview requests to some of the people on holds. Anyone think this has weight?
hopefully 🙂 been on hold for a week!