2015-2016 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello, I know the previous prompts say maximum of 25 lines…what exactly does that mean? Is it max of 25 sentences or when you look at a paragraph, do you count a maximum of 25 rows?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, I know the previous prompts say maximum of 25 lines…what exactly does that mean? Is it max of 25 sentences or when you look at a paragraph, do you count a maximum of 25 rows?
I would assume the latter.

Did you already get the secondary? can you post or pm the questions please? thank you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you already get the secondary? can you post or pm the questions please? thank you! :)

Nope, no secondary yet--just prewriting last years prompts, I'd figure it might be similar to what they send out this year :)

I followed the 25 lines guideline, not 25 sentences.

2 Paragraph or 500 word limit per question (absurdly high maximum):

1) Becoming a person for others is a core Jesuit value. Please describe your own development in becoming a person for others. How have you demonstrated this value?

2) Please describe a personal challenge that required resiliency or adaptability (and the skills, resources and strategies you employed to take on the challenge). DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue.

3) How will you contribute to the diversity of the Stritch student body and community? Specifically, what unique traits, identities, experiences, skills and perspectives will you contribute?

4) Please use the space below to further explain anything in your application that may help us in our review of your candidacy-gaps or delays in education, academic missteps, or personal challenges not listed elsewhere, etc. (this is an optional response limited to 1500 characters)

Reactions: 6 users
For the letter of rec requirement, is our AMCAS ID automatically stamped into the letter once we submit through AMCAS, or do we have to ask our professors to do that?

For the letter of rec requirement, is our AMCAS ID automatically stamped into the letter once we submit through AMCAS, or do we have to ask our professors to do that?
Nearly positive AMCAS has yo back on this one

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but according to Loyola, is math considered a science? Also is engineering considered a science? I think both those subjects are not calculated in sGPA so I'm guessing both those subjects are considered non-sci. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sad that they changed the secondaries, I wrote a really great essay about my grandma for one of the prompts they had last year :( Sad to have to scrap it. Oh well. But I feel like I am going to have a hard time answering that first question about being "a person for others". I feel like that is something that is hard to articulate.

Applying :) Best of luck to everyone!

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but according to Loyola, is math considered a science? Also is engineering considered a science? I think both those subjects are not calculated in sGPA so I'm guessing both those subjects are considered non-sci. Thoughts?
Math is calculated in the sGPA, although engineering is not. However, I've been told by multiple advisors that medical schools will generally count recommendation letters from engineering professors as "science letters"

Is anyone having trouble uploading a photo? It won't let me select any of my photos to upload...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm having the same issue :/

Photo problem can be fixed! Strange solution, but if you're on a Mac just move your photo into "Downloads" then drag the photo over Loyola's "choose image" option. That worked for me!

Quite different from last year's...
meh, it's kinda similiar. they took out the
"
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?"

meh, it's kinda similiar. they took out the
"
4. Your patient has a rare disease and would be a great candidate for an experimental new treatment. You are the principal investigator for the research project and you and your Chair would like to pursue this experiment with the patient. The parents of your patient are adamant against the treatment. How would you handle this situation?"
True. But becoming a person for others is a pretty unique topic

lol they want us to use internet explorer

Reactions: 12 users
Can someone explain what it's like to attend a "Jesuit School". I'm an Atheist, and quite frankly uncomfortable around in-your-face religion. I'm deciding if I want to pay the secondary fee...

Does anyone else have trouble uploading a photo? I've been fine uploading photos to all the other secondaries...but this one won't let me for some reason. It's 80kB of .jpg so I don't know why it wouldn't work...

Can someone explain what it's like to attend a "Jesuit School". I'm an Atheist, and quite frankly uncomfortable around in-your-face religion. I'm deciding if I want to pay the secondary fee...

Atheist and M1 here. It's certainly not an "in-your-face" type of environment. They do talk about it, but MANY classmates are either 1) Not Jesuit 2) Not religious in any manner. Loyola is a great academic school, with a very, very strong hospital system. If you want nothing to do with religion, you don't have to. Many of your classmates will, but around the school, the council always sets up booths for EVERY religion, not just theirs. They always talk about opportunities to get involved, but you certainly don't have to, and they will never roll eyes at you about it. However, they sometimes do a short prayer before services, such as white coat ceremony and other important things. It's short, sweet, and you just have to stand there.

For the Photo: Use internet explorer.

Reactions: 3 users

Professors don't touch your AMCAS ID. As long as it is uploaded to your name/file, it's automatically tagged to you.

Atheist and M1 here. It's certainly not an "in-your-face" type of environment. They do talk about it, but MANY classmates are either 1) Not Jesuit 2) Not religious in any manner. Loyola is a great academic school, with a very, very strong hospital system. If you want nothing to do with religion, you don't have to. Many of your classmates will, but around the school, the council always sets up booths for EVERY religion, not just theirs. They always talk about opportunities to get involved, but you certainly don't have to, and they will never roll eyes at you about it. However, they sometimes do a short prayer before services, such as white coat ceremony and other important things. It's short, sweet, and you just have to stand there.

For the Photo: Use internet explorer.
Thanks very much for the information. I think I will apply, and see for myself if I'm fortunate enough to receive an interview. I was just a little put off by the Jesuit-centered secondary question someone posted earlier.

Thanks very much for the information. I think I will apply, and see for myself if I'm fortunate enough to receive an interview. I was just a little put off by the Jesuit-centered secondary question someone posted earlier.

Completely understandable. It can certainly be intimidating! Fit is a very important thing. Be careful, though; that question only uses the term Jesuit to show where THEY are coming from. Whether or not you are Jesuit, they are looking for students that share a very important, fundamental value to being a physician. It's not a Jesuit-invented value/goal; rather, it's a human value that is so important to the Jesuits, (thus, subsequently to Loyola), but especially to doctoring and being a whole person, that Loyola highlights it. It's a question that asks about your commitment to serving others.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm pretty much non-religious, but work as a scribe for a Trinity Health System hospital (which is the "overlord" of the Loyola Med School/hospital system).
We have lots of doctors and staff of different faiths. They have a great mission of helping the poor and underserved. I'm applying solely because of my great experience. The Catholic/Jesuit philosophy is there, but definitely not in your face. Probably like the Jesuit schools Georgetown, and I think Notre Dame.

Got the secondary today. These essays definitely don't look easy.

+1 secondary, received around noon!

Completely understandable. It can certainly be intimidating! Fit is a very important thing. Be careful, though; that question only uses the term Jesuit to show where THEY are coming from. Whether or not you are Jesuit, they are looking for students that share a very important, fundamental value to being a physician. It's not a Jesuit-invented value/goal; rather, it's a human value that is so important to the Jesuits, (thus, subsequently to Loyola), but especially to doctoring and being a whole person, that Loyola highlights it. It's a question that asks about your commitment to serving others.
I'm def down for the helping underserved people thang. Hope i can properly convey that in my essays

Since this thread is starting to pick up steam, I just want to remind everyone that I'm happy to answer questions about the school and what 1st year was like. :)

Education-wise, what are some of your favorite things about the school?

Since this thread is starting to pick up steam, I just want to remind everyone that I'm happy to answer questions about the school and what 1st year was like. :)
what do you like/appreciate/enjoy most about loyola?

Education-wise, what are some of your favorite things about the school?

Although not unique to Loyola, recorded lectures and optional attendance (most of the time) were big selling points for me. I study best in my PJs

what do you like/appreciate/enjoy most about loyola?

I think Loyola's service-oriented focus attracts a certain type of person here, and there's a great atmosphere as a result. Nearly all of the students, faculty, administrators, and physicians I've met have been helpful and generally pleasant to be around. It takes away some of the stress and difficulty of medical school to be surrounded by these types of people. There's also just a ton of opportunities here, and you can do anything you want if you ask around. Loyola has a huge campus on its own, but there's also the even larger VA hospital right next door, so the options for research, community service, shadowing, and whatever else you can think of are huge.

Reactions: 2 users
I think Loyola's service-oriented focus attracts a certain type of person here, and there's a great atmosphere as a result. Nearly all of the students, faculty, administrators, and physicians I've met have been helpful and generally pleasant to be around. It takes away some of the stress and difficulty of medical school to be surrounded by these types of people. There's also just a ton of opportunities here, and you can do anything you want if you ask around. Loyola has a huge campus on its own, but there's also the even larger VA hospital right next door, so the options for research, community service, shadowing, and whatever else you can think of are huge.
do you feel it's more of a competitive or collaborative environment? pass/fail?

do you feel it's more of a competitive or collaborative environment? pass/fail?

Definitely collaborative, the people around you want you to succeed. The grading system is actually H/HP/P/F but I don't really mind since it's not curved.

can someone who goes there give me insight into service activities i can do in the city outside of the general medical stuff?

I just received another invitation to complete the secondary, in addition to the one I received yesterday. Did this happen to anyone else?

I just received another invitation to complete the secondary, in addition to the one I received yesterday. Did this happen to anyone else?
lol i was just about to post that. i already paid yesterday but haven't written anything yet or submitted. maybe they really want our essays lol. they already have my money

^^^

Just happened to me too, got a little paranoid that I missed something, but they look like the exact same email to me

Happened to me as well. I think I completed some of the app but didn't put in my essays and stuff.

Yeah happened to me and I'm just gonna ignore it. Is anyone else stuck on the first question? ("Becoming a person for others is a core Jesuit value. Please describe your own development in becoming a person for others. How have you demonstrated this value?") I never get writer's block, but so far everything I've tried to write for this essay is complete dribble. Are y'all focusing on one story or doing more of a longitudinal overview of your development in service work?

Got the same repeat email, since the sender is "autoprocess" I initially thought they sent it again because I hadn't opened Loyola's secondary at all after receiving the first email.

I got the repeat email even though I've already submitted my secondary. Between Internet Explorer, difficulty submitting the picture, and now a repeat email, it seems that this might not be the most technologically advanced school...