2015-2016 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
(almost) M2 here. If anyone has any questions about Stritch then fire away, I love it here.

(almost) M2 here. If anyone has any questions about Stritch then fire away, I love it here.

Hey thanks so much. I have heard Strich is very service oriented in its mission. Do you feel that this is true in practice. Do they promote and teach towards a specific mission or less so? Also, least favorite part of Stritch?

Applying here, OOS.
M.MD- Can you describe what research opportunities are available to students?

Hey thanks so much. I have heard Strich is very service oriented in its mission. Do you feel that this is true in practice. Do they promote and teach towards a specific mission or less so? Also, least favorite part of Stritch?
The school is definitely true to its mission. It's very service-oriented and aimed at producing the best clinicians, but that's not to say research opportunities are lacking if that's your goal. In other words, the environment here accommodates a broad range of interests. There are a lot of volunteer opportunities available, especially through campus ministry if that's your thing. We're also required to participate and reflect on at least one community service project our first year, but it doesn't have to be a huge commitment if you don't want it to be. I mentored some high school students once a week for about a month and had a great time.

My least favorite thing about Stritch would be the mandatory small groups, but this is very subjective. They're well run and I'm sure a lot of people like them, but I personally don't get much out of it and prefer to study from home if I can.

Applying here, OOS.
M.MD- Can you describe what research opportunities are available to students?

There are plenty of research opportunities here, both bench and clinical. Specifically, the school runs a summer research program called STAR between M1-M2 (that includes a stipend). You get to pick a mentor some time in your first semester and write up a proposal for the project. Something like 80% of the projects get funded, but you can still participate in the program if you don't get funding. You guys will be lucky in that when you start, we will have just opened a brand new research facility adjacent to the school.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the help, M.MD! I'm not sure if you know this, but does Loyola's admissions committee average MCAT scores?

Question for those who have applied before - in the LOR requirements listed on their website, they state that we should have a letter from a faculty member at each university we attended. I attended a different university my freshman year than the rest of my ug - I was not involved in much/never got to know professors well, so I won't have a letter from that school. The website states that we can send a letter stating why we can't obtain a letter from one school if that's the case - so, has anyone done this/is it a big deal or naw?

Applying here OOS but I grew up in a neighboring suburb.

@M.MD what is the medical campus like? Do most students live in Maywood or do they commute from a different suburb?

Members don't see this ad :)
Applying here OOS but I grew up in a neighboring suburb.

@M.MD what is the medical campus like? Do most students live in Maywood or do they commute from a different suburb?

The medical campus is pretty big and spread out, but I like how everything is laid out. There's the main hospital along with the medical and nursing schools, plus various buildings for outpatient care and research (with a new research building opening next year). There's also the huge VA campus next door. Is there anything you wanted to know specifically?

Most students commute from other suburbs, mostly the Forest Park and Oak Park area. I hear a lot of 3rd/4th year students end up moving closer to downtown.

That answers my question, thanks! I was mostly curious if students typically lived in Maywood, which isn't a place I would want to walk through alone at night (though I'm sure during the day it's fine). Is Hines the VA campus you're talking about? My dad used to go there, but I didn't realize it was so close the Loyola's campus.

Anyone who is applying OOS- Oak Park/River Forest is an awesome area with tons to do. Very diverse and safe area.

Reactions: 1 user
That answers my question, thanks! I was mostly curious if students typically lived in Maywood, which isn't a place I would want to walk through alone at night (though I'm sure during the day it's fine). Is Hines the VA campus you're talking about? My dad used to go there, but I didn't realize it was so close the Loyola's campus.

Anyone who is applying OOS- Oak Park/River Forest is an awesome area with tons to do. Very diverse and safe area.

There are a few students who live there, but I agree it's not the safest place. And yeah the Hines VA is right next to Loyola, it's practically the same medical campus.

So there was a thread in Pre-Allo about some application advice and there was a good debate about whether or not to fill out all 15 activities. Apparently an admissions rep from Loyola is seen in a video saying that if you do not have 15 activities, "We are going to think something is wrong." I have 11 activities lol. Guess I can kiss this school goodbye haha

^^What?! I have a hard time buying that, so I wouldn't drop this school because of something you heard someone saw in a video. I had three different tutoring jobs that are clumped together into 1 entry, who would really think it's more beneficial for me to spread those out? Quality> quantity, always.

^^What?! I have a hard time buying that, so I wouldn't drop this school because of something you heard someone saw in a video. I had three different tutoring jobs that are clumped together into 1 entry, who would really think it's more beneficial for me to spread those out? Quality> quantity, always.

Haha I was mostly kidding :) But yeah I totally agree with you. I lumped two separate research internships together into one entry and also lumped in two different E-board positions for an organization into one entry as well. Quality is always better than quantity. I hope they see it this way as well.

One of my top choices! Can you describe the interview day?

I interviewed on a weekday. There were only 4 of us, and I really appreciated this because it felt like more of a personal experience than my other interview where there were probably close to 75 people. Everyone went out of their way to accommodate us and make us feel welcomed. We started the morning filling out some paperwork in the admissions office. They gave us the day's itinerary, and each interviewee had somewhat of a different schedule depending on who you were interviewing with. I had 2 interviewers, both MDs, but other faculty/students can interview you as well. I was also paired with a current student who took me around on a tour of the campus and introduced me to some of her classmates. At the end of the day the dean of admissions came and spoke with us just to wrap things up. Overall I had a really great experience. Things are probably a little different if you interview on a weekend (the groups are bigger, but other than that I don't know how the day is structured).

Last edited:
@M.MD, you seem to like the school; how happy are the rest of the med students in general?

@M.MD, you seem to like the school; how happy are the rest of the med students in general?

Everyone I speak to on a regular basis feels the same way. No program is perfect, but I think the administration and faculty have done a great job in creating an enjoyable environment to work in.

Would you recomend applying if I'm not religious? The service focus is a big draw for me. I assume Loyola isn't like Loma Linda, but is Catholicism a big deal for many students or not so much?

Would you recomend applying if I'm not religious? The service focus is a big draw for me. I assume Loyola isn't like Loma Linda, but is Catholicism a big deal for many students or not so much?

I'm not particularly religious and I enjoy it here. The religious aspect is more there for people who want to pursue it. To put it another way, the school cares more about your actions than your beliefs. If service is important to you, you'd be a good fit.

Even though the secondary prompt from last year seemed pretty brutal, I am excited to apply here!

Out of all my reach schools and "safeties", this is the school I'm hoping for the most love from. I loved my undergrad here and would love to stay with Loyola. Hopefully I run across some of you on the interview trail this year :)

Applying here OOS! I used to live in Chicago for a little while and would love to come back here.

Has anyone here successfully petitioned not to send an LOR from an institution theyve attended? I graduated undergrad years ago and don't really know any professors from there....plenty of academic LOR from grad school though. Loyola is the only place I've seen with that requirement...

Has anyone here successfully petitioned not to send an LOR from an institution theyve attended? I graduated undergrad years ago and don't really know any professors from there....plenty of academic LOR from grad school though. Loyola is the only place I've seen with that requirement...

Call the admissions office to let them know, they'll work something out with you. We get a lot of non traditional students applying and this problem comes up often.

Last edited:
OOS Applicant! Hello to all who have posted already

OOS Applicant here, Is it a huge deal of I do not have all academic letters as they required? I have one science and one non-science. I will be getting the rest from MD's. I am a non-traditional and have been out of school for a couple years.

any secondaries yet? how are the questions?

OOS Applicant here, Is it a huge deal of I do not have all academic letters as they required? I have one science and one non-science. I will be getting the rest from MD's. I am a non-traditional and have been out of school for a couple years.

Read 2 posts above yours.

No secondaries yet. I think July 1st is going to be the earliest this year.

Question for those who have applied before - in the LOR requirements listed on their website, they state that we should have a letter from a faculty member at each university we attended. I attended a different university my freshman year than the rest of my ug - I was not involved in much/never got to know professors well, so I won't have a letter from that school. The website states that we can send a letter stating why we can't obtain a letter from one school if that's the case - so, has anyone done this/is it a big deal or naw?

I'm an incoming M1 and I can answer this one! I also attended a different university for my freshman year, and transferred out for the rest of my undergrad years. I didn't get to know my professors very well, and therefore did not keep in contact with anyone after I left. I did not submit a LOR for that particular school, and noted in that section that I had not attended the university for over 3 years and couldn't get in contact with my old professors. I was never questioned about it during the interview or anything, so I assume if its been a long time, it's not a big deal!

OOS here. I know Loyola is a private school, but it shows that about half of the incoming class is from in-state. Is this just pure coincidence or does Loyola have an in-state preference?

I'm an incoming M1 and I can answer this one! I also attended a different university for my freshman year, and transferred out for the rest of my undergrad years. I didn't get to know my professors very well, and therefore did not keep in contact with anyone after I left. I did not submit a LOR for that particular school, and noted in that section that I had not attended the university for over 3 years and couldn't get in contact with my old professors. I was never questioned about it during the interview or anything, so I assume if its been a long time, it's not a big deal!

Thanks!

Where exactly would you note that? is there a space available in the secondary? I am in a similar boat. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of college for two years. I am only able to get one LOR from a non-science and 1 from a science but not the two science ones as they state. I will be getting the rest from physicians I work with.

Where exactly would you note that? is there a space available in the secondary? I am in a similar boat. I am a non-traditional student and have been out of college for two years. I am only able to get one LOR from a non-science and 1 from a science but not the two science ones as they state. I will be getting the rest from physicians I work with.

My situation was a little different than yours. I did have 2 science LORs and 1 non-science LOR, in addition to a couple volunteer LORs, but I did not get a letter from the university I attended freshman year. I think in your case you might have to contact admissions to see if you can get by without an additional science faculty letter. My understanding was that they require 2 science letters + 1 non-science letter, and that all letters beyond that are optional (although they recommend one letter from every university you've attended). To answer your question though, in the secondary there is a section that says "If you are unable to get any of the required letters, please use this space to explain"

So there was a thread in Pre-Allo about some application advice and there was a good debate about whether or not to fill out all 15 activities. Apparently an admissions rep from Loyola is seen in a video saying that if you do not have 15 activities, "We are going to think something is wrong." I have 11 activities lol. Guess I can kiss this school goodbye haha

I read the post where you said you were mostly kidding, but just to give you peace of mind, I only filled out 6 activities (like you I lumped many of mine together) and I had zero problems. Probably just a silly rumor! :)

Hey guys, I'm an incoming M1 here at Loyola, and would be glad to answer any questions that I can!

Also, feel free to PM with any specifics if you ever need to. Good luck, guys.

Last edited:
One of my top choices! Can you describe the interview day?

I interviewed on a weekday. There were only 4 of us, and I really appreciated this because it felt like more of a personal experience than my other interview where there were probably close to 75 people. Everyone went out of their way to accommodate us and make us feel welcomed. We started the morning filling out some paperwork in the admissions office. They gave us the day's itinerary, and each interviewee had somewhat of a different schedule depending on who you were interviewing with. I had 2 interviewers, both MDs, but other faculty/students can interview you as well. I was also paired with a current student who took me around on a tour of the campus and introduced me to some of her classmates. At the end of the day the dean of admissions came and spoke with us just to wrap things up. Overall I had a really great experience. Things are probably a little different if you interview on a weekend (the groups are bigger, but other than that I don't know how the day is structured).

I interviewed on a Saturday and my experience was very similar, although M.MD is correct in saying the groups are bigger on the weekend. There were about 15 of us and we started the morning off by gathering around a large table and filling out some paperwork. The Dean of Admissions then joined us, and we went around the room introducing ourselves. We all talked for about an hour before interviews started. I had one hour long student interview, followed by an hour long faculty/physician interview. We then had lunch on the main floor with current students, and broke up into groups of 3 afterwards for a tour of the school. We then met up to fill out some interview feedback surveys and that was it! Overall, this was one of my best interview experiences. Everyone was extremely helpful, and you can tell they really tried to make us feel comfortable! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed on a Saturday and my experience was very similar, although M.MD is correct in saying the groups are bigger on the weekend. There were about 15 of us and we started the morning off by gathering around a large table and filling out some paperwork. The Dean of Admissions then joined us, and we went about the room introducing ourselves. We all talked for about an hour before interviews started. I had one hour long student interview, followed by an hour long faculty/physician interview. We then had lunch on the main floor with current students, and broke up into groups of 3 afterwards for a tour of the school. We then met up to fill out some interview feedback surveys and that was it! Overall, this was one of my best interview experiences. Everyone was extremely helpful, and you can tell they really tried to make us feel comfortable! :)

thanks for all your help guys, I greatly appreciate it!!!
What kind of paperwork did you guys fill out bubbles0523?

OOS here. I know Loyola is a private school, but it shows that about half of the incoming class is from in-state. Is this just pure coincidence or does Loyola have an in-state preference?

A lot my people in my class went to Loyola (in Chicago) or Notre Dame (fairly close by in Indiana) for undergrad, so naturally a lot of students are going to be from Illinois. There is no specific in-state preference.

thanks for all your help guys, I greatly appreciate it!!!
What kind of paperwork did you guys fill out bubbles0523?

Gahh sorry I don't remember all of them, but it was just general paperwork (student conduct and ethics, name and current address, contact info, etc.). You don't have to bring any additional information or anything like that, it was all pretty straightforward :)

@M.MD, what are M1 exams like? Are they written by professors or does this school use NBME exams? If they are written by professors, do you think using the syllabus/lecture material is enough to do well, or do you find yourself having to use textbooks to supplement?

@M.MD, what are M1 exams like? Are they written by professors or does this school use NBME exams? If they are written by professors, do you think using the syllabus/lecture material is enough to do well, or do you find yourself having to use textbooks to supplement?

The exams are computer-based multiple choice to simulate boards, and they are written by the professors. All of the material you need to know will be in the handouts and lecture material, so you can study that and feel confident you won't miss anything. The problem is this isn't always an efficient use of your time, and you may also find it difficult to follow a particular professor's handout/lecture format. In other words, you don't have to use textbooks or other external resources, but they may make life easier for you depending on the class.

Reactions: 2 users
The exams are computer-based multiple choice to simulate boards, and they are written by the professors. All of the material you need to know will be in the handouts and lecture material, so you can study that and feel confident you won't miss anything. The problem is this isn't always an efficient use of your time, and you may also find it difficult to follow a particular professor's handout/lecture format. In other words, you don't have to use textbooks or other external resources, but they may make life easier for you depending on the class.

Thank you!