2015-2016 Loyola University Chicago (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just submitted the secondary app here, but where do we pay? I'm probably so over-tired that its right in front of me but i can't see it for some reason. also my status says secondary received but not my letter packet, even though all other schools I applied to had it...just wait a few days to see if the status has changed?

wow never mind about the payment part - forgot that I already did that to start the secondary...

but second part about LOR still stands!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
just submitted the secondary app here, but where do we pay? I'm probably so over-tired that its right in front of me but i can't see it for some reason. also my status says secondary received but not my letter packet, even though all other schools I applied to had it...just wait a few days to see if the status has changed?
you had to pay before you could even access the secondary, so odds are you did already! I'd also recommend waiting a few days before inquiring about the letter status.

If the AMCAS has your letters and your application is verified, every school that you applied to has access to your letters. If they say they don't have them, that means that they haven't downloaded them and updated your portal yet. My secondary was submitted 5 days ago, but it still says they don't have my letters. Just sit tight. If they aren't downloading letters yet, that means they aren't reading applications yet, so no need to be worried.

Members don't see this ad :)
wow never mind about the payment part - forgot that I already did that to start the secondary...

but second part about LOR still stands!

I just logged on to SDN because I was also super confused (and most likely over-tired) about the payment part haha. All these secondaries are blurring together.

Reactions: 1 user
I just logged on to SDN because I was also super confused (and most likely over-tired) about the payment part haha. All these secondaries are blurring together.
I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast, so focused on all these secondaries. It is all a blur. Then, I hear, after we are finished with secondaries, it is a long waiting game. Then the thrill of an II, the travel, then waiting again. It will be a long year.

I can hardly remember what I ate for breakfast, so focused on all these secondaries. It is all a blur. Then, I hear, after we are finished with secondaries, it is a long waiting game. Then the thrill of an II, the travel, then waiting again. It will be a long year.
Must find a way to keep busy!

Just curious, how many schools are y'all applying to? I'm just wondering because it sounds like some of you are hardcore stressed about secondaries, but I don't feel like I've been hit particularly hard at any point, and I only have 3 that I'm still waiting on. I applied to 15 schools.

Just curious, how many schools are y'all applying to? I'm just wondering because it sounds like some of you are hardcore stressed about secondaries, but I don't feel like I've been hit particularly hard at any point, and I only have 3 that I'm still waiting on. I applied to 15 schools.
25 schools. See my MDAPPS. Sigh, so many came in the first week. Must say, it is getting easier, as the recycling of essays is going pretty well, now that I have about 10 essays that I have nailed down.

25 schools. See my MDAPPS. Sigh, so many came in the first week. Must say, it is getting easier, as the recycling of essays is going pretty well, now that I have about 10 essays that I have nailed down.
Wow, congratulations to you on staying on top of that!

+1 exactly haha (minus the MDAPPS part)

I applied to 31 schools. I pre-wrote a lot of essays and also have sort of holed myself up in my room the last couple of weeks, so I've been turning them around pretty quickly. I'm less stressed about completing them within a certain time frame and more so about some difficult questions that I've thought about for a long time but haven't been able to really give a good answer to.

I applied to 20 schools. I have received secondaries for all of them except for two (one of which I have likely been screened out of), so I have a backlog of 7 schools to finish at the moment. My biggest issue is that I won't reuse any essay in it's entirety and keep tweaking them all quite substantially depending on the school in question.

EDIT: My full-time work also involves spending most of the day writing, so the last thing I want to do after work is come home and write more :(

Wow, I feel like such an underachiever! You must all be very hardworking people.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first question, would talking about your religion be a bad idea even if its not one with Jesuit origins? It has some of the same values as Jesuit religions including the "be a person for others"

For the first question, would talking about your religion be a bad idea even if its not one with Jesuit origins? It has some of the same values as Jesuit religions including the "be a person for others"
I personally think it's fine if you mention it, although I don't know if I'd make it the focus. They said something on their website about their faith being accepting of "all spirituality that upholds are values" or something to that effect. Like for instance, I'm Catholic, and although they'll probably be able to figure out I'm some type of Christian from my response, it's not going to be the focus of my answer.

I personally think it's fine if you mention it, although I don't know if I'd make it the focus. They said something on their website about their faith being accepting of "all spirituality that upholds are values" or something to that effect. Like for instance, I'm Catholic, and although they'll probably be able to figure out I'm some type of Christian from my response, it's not going to be the focus of my answer.

Yea I think I will most likely bring it up and combine it with my volunteer experiences instead.
That would probably be a better use of prompt space, right?

Yea I think I will most likely bring it up and combine it with my volunteer experiences instead.
That would probably be a better use of prompt space, right?
IMO, yes. Community service/volunteering is something you actively choose to do, and, while you may very well live your faith, at least for me personally, it's a more passive/personal thing than most of my volunteering. I acknowledge that your religion may be completely different.

Ideally the 500 words should be formatted into 2 paragraphs.

Not all of mine were because it ruined the narrative. So hopefully they just focus on the story and don't hold it against me.:bucktooth:

I know the challenge questions says "DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue. " But is a challenging assignment in a professor research lab during an internship considered "academic"?

I know the challenge questions says "DO NOT write about the MCAT, a course, or an academic issue. " But is a challenging assignment in a professor research lab during an internship considered "academic"?
I'd really try to avoid using that. While you might be able to technically call it non-academic, I think the point of this prompt is to talk about more personal challenges.

I'd really try to avoid using that. While you might be able to technically call it non-academic, I think the point of this prompt is to talk about more personal challenges.

As a white, middle class male who gets along with mostly everyone I meet. Damn.

helppp.. I paid my app fee yesterday and started the application. I went in today to input the rest of my essay answers and submit it, but the payment page keeps coming up instead. also, when i click 'print my application', the answers I already input show up along with other parts of the app I filled out. Anyone else having this problem?

How long did it take for people to receive their secondaries? My primary was verified 7/8 and I still have not yet received an email from Loyola.

How long did it take for people to receive their secondaries? My primary was verified 7/8 and I still have not yet received an email from Loyola.
Mine was verified 6/5 and I got a secondary a week ago

my primary was verified mid-to late-june and i got the secondary july 10th.

As a white, middle class male who gets along with mostly everyone I meet. Damn.
Challenges don't have to be big or unique. Having a difficult time learning to hit a curveball is a challenge. Breaking up with a significant other is a challenge. Hosting a barbecue and finding that you are running out of burgers is a challenge. I'll bet if you think hard enough, you'll be able to come up with some personal challenge you have faced, even if it wasn't a huge challenge.

@M.MD

Would you recommend applying here if I don't really have any non-medical community service? I am in the process of becoming a peer mentor and have held a paid teaching job in China but the rest of my volunteer work is medically related.

Thanks.

@M.MD

Would you recommend applying here if I don't really have any non-medical community service? I am in the process of becoming a peer mentor and have held a paid teaching job in China but the rest of my volunteer work is medically related.

Thanks.

Absolutely. The community service is what counts, not whether it was medical or non-medical.

Hey everybody so I have a quick question...

I will be retaking the MCAT in Sept and will not get my scores until probably October. My app will already be verified but would this be considered a long shot to apply to this school and other MD schools with December deadlines? I know its usually recommended to apply around July/August at the latest but does that still stand for schools with late deadlines such as this one? Thanks in advance

I will be retaking the MCAT in Sept and will not get my scores until probably October. My app will already be verified but would this be considered a long shot to apply to this school and other MD schools with December deadlines? I know its usually recommended to apply around July/August at the latest but does that still stand for schools with late deadlines such as this one? Thanks in advance

I do not recommend applying this cycle to any allopathic schools if you won't have your MCAT score until late fall. First off, you won't know ahead of time how well did. Second, supposing you get a great score, your application will be at the end of the review pile for nearly all schools and it might not be reviewed until next spring. Your chances of getting in are significantly lower than most other applicants if you choose to apply.

Yes. Loyola started sending out secondary applications in early July. They will probably start sending out interview invitations in early to mid August. If your primary gets to them in October, you may not have your application complete (secondary and letters in) until late October. This would put your application at not being read until late November at the very earliest. By this point, a whole bunch of interview invitations have been sent out, and a fair number of acceptances have been given out. This cripples your chances. If your primary is not going to be verified until October, you absolutely should not be applying this cycle. Wait until next year.

Is this school somewhat OOS friendly? according to MSAR not very!!!
Under what circumstances should an OOS apply? I'm from Cali with a 3.73 cum/3.83 science and new MCAT around 90% percentile. Should I bother?

Under what circumstances should an OOS apply? I'm from Cali with a 3.73 cum/3.83 science and new MCAT around 90% percentile. Should I bother?

This school is OOS friendly. Many of my classmates are from CA.

It may seem like that but the data is a little skewed. A lot of students come from the Loyola undergrad and Notre Dame, which are both in/near Illinois. Naturally, a lot of students are going to come from the area, but there's no IS preference.

For the last optional question, it lists "academic missteps" as one of the possible options to talk about. Would dropping a class and retaking it be in that category?

Still no secondary, but I was just verified last week. OOS, 3.94/516

It may seem like that but the data is a little skewed. A lot of students come from the Loyola undergrad and Notre Dame, which are both in/near Illinois. Naturally, a lot of students are going to come from the area, but there's no IS preference.

i have to imagine tha tsome people just don't use MSAR and may not know about Loyola unless they're from Illinois or that area of the country.

@M.MD or anyone else--
Should I write about being gay in the diversity promt? I know the jesuits are more open minded than most Catholics (I was raised Catholic), but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by writing a whole big gay essay. Their diversity policy does not say anything about like "we do not discriminate based on race, religions, sexual orientation.. etc" so there is no explicit rejection of homophobia unlike most schools, which is giving me pause. I'm very service oriented so this schools really appeals to me!

EDIT: with some deeper searching I found "Specifically the Office of Diversity and Inclusion works to:...Advocate for and support the interests of student affinity groups, not limited to but including students of color, LGBT students,veterans and students with disabilities..." SO that is encouraging!

I would still be interested to hear about the campus climate surrounding queer issues if anyone has any experience.

Last edited:
Not sure I have 500 words of an answer for some of these

@M.MD or anyone else--
Should I write about being gay in the diversity promt? I know the jesuits are more open minded than most Catholics (I was raised Catholic), but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by writing a whole big gay essay. Their diversity policy does not say anything about like "we do not discriminate based on race, religions, sexual orientation.. etc" so there is no explicit rejection of homophobia unlike most schools, which is giving me pause. I'm very service oriented so this schools really appeals to me!

EDIT: with some deeper searching I found "Specifically the Office of Diversity and Inclusion works to:...Advocate for and support the interests of student affinity groups, not limited to but including students of color, LGBT students,veterans and students with disabilities..." SO that is encouraging!

I would still be interested to hear about the campus climate surrounding queer issues if anyone has any experience.

Stritch has a wholly inclusive environment, so I'd say go for it. There are several openly gay students in my class.

Stritch has a wholly inclusive environment, so I'd say go for it. There are several openly gay students in my class.
Thanks M.MD, that is great to hear!

Not sure I have 500 words of an answer for some of these
That's fine. As long as your answer isn't much, much shorter than 500 words (such as 150 words) you should be fine. If you only have 375 words worth of stuff to say, stop at 375 words.

For the personal challenge question, I was thinking about writing about working full time during my first year of college, but I'm iffy about it because it kind of involves balancing academics with work... Thoughts?

For the personal challenge question, I was thinking about writing about working full time during my first year of college, but I'm iffy about it because it kind of involves balancing academics with work... Thoughts?
If you're going to mention balancing work and academics, I wouldn't do it because then you've violated the non-academic stipulation. If you're trying to come up with other ideas, remember that this challenge doesn't have to be extremely significant. Learning to hit a curveball is a challenge.

If you're going to mention balancing work and academics, I wouldn't do it because then you've violated the non-academic stipulation. If you're trying to come up with other ideas, remember that this challenge doesn't have to be extremely significant. Learning to hit a curveball is a challenge.
Thanks, I have another topic but it wasn't as significant. I'd rather play it safe though :)