2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Completed. Smooth, no technical problems. Kinda liked it, kinda ambivalent. I answered every question, and mostly only wrote a few sentences. I tried to be as truthful and understanding as possible, and never hardlined on one opinion or was judgmental. I think being compassionate and aware and considerate of all circumstances is the best way to do this.
 
how bad does it look to have one and a half sentences on one of the questions... 🙁.


Overall though, casper surprisingly went smoothly and the questions were actually interesting! I was literally saying "no no no no" to some of the prompts because I knew where they were going for it, and I knew that I was just going to be stuck in the middle trying to respond to them :laugh:
 
Completed. Also didn't have any technical issues. I felt a couple of the questions were common-sense, no-brainer, "why-is-this-even-a-question," type-questions, so my justifications weren't as detailed as I had hoped. I dunno.... I guess I see the inherent value in this type of test, but I'd rather just sit down and discuss these types of situations with someone and actually have a meaningful discussion that benefits both parties :\ I used a lot of personal experience to justify my answers because I have quite a significant amount of life experience, but I tried to remain objective.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Done. No technical issues, but how does this accurately gauge us as applicants? We have hardly any time to think about these issues that would require both sides of the argument to really see where our thought process is.
 
Cons: Didn't think the test gives us enough time at all to answer these complicated ethical scenarios.
Pros: Was it just me, or were those gals in the videos smokin hot...?😉
 
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the whole tech fiasco aside, CASPer itself seems to be an extremely poor measurement of us as applicants. It is extremely one-dimensional and gives an absurd amount of time to think through ethical decisions.

I couldn't help but laugh when the questionnaire at the end asked if other schools should use this instead of secondaries or interviews.

1886670033.jpg
^^^

Completed. Also didn't have any technical issues. I felt a couple of the questions were common-sense, no-brainer, "why-is-this-even-a-question," type-questions, so my justifications weren't as detailed as I had hoped. I dunno.... I guess I see the inherent value in this type of test, but I'd rather just sit down and discuss these types of situations with someone and actually have a meaningful discussion that benefits both parties :\ I used a lot of personal experience to justify my answers because I have quite a significant amount of life experience, but I tried to remain objective.
Only a select few was I able to give life experiences; there isn't enough time to answer the question and bring up situations beyond that.
 
Glad to hear that this test went smoothly for most, including myself. It would have definitely been nicer if there was extra time to answer the questions and to produce more thorough responses.
 
Last edited:
Welp, I wont be seeing anyone at NYMC im sure.....

What benefit is it to limit an applicants contemplation and reflection of themselves, on a complicated topic, to just a few minutes (im thinking of one particular question)? Im sure there is a well-reasoned answer to my question but I am just frustrated hahaha..

I thought the ethical questions were fun though
 
Welp, I wont be seeing anyone at NYMC im sure.....

What benefit is it to limit an applicants contemplation and reflection of themselves, on a complicated topic, to just a few minutes (im thinking of one particular question)? Im sure there is a well-reasoned answer to my question but I am just frustrated hahaha..

I thought the ethical questions were fun though

Is everyone going to complain when they have to make quick clinical decisions in emergency situations as a physician? I get that these things are frustrating, but we all have the same test settings and therefore are on the same playing field. The point of having a short time is to see 1) how well applicants think on their feet quickly and creatively and 2) to prevent cheating.

It makes perfect sense to me and frankly the whining is more frustrating then any technical problem/test concern.
 
I might be a little behind y'all in the application process - but what if you don't have the 2 UG letters of rec from professors in your major?

I have a UG non-science professor (in my major) and two graduate professors. However, I'm trying to figure out how strict they are in terms of their LOR requirements, and whether it might be a waste for me to pay the $140 if I do not have UG science letters at all. Thanks for the feedback!

I did email them, haven't heard back yet.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else end up with like 30-45secs left after completing their answers for each prompt?? I wrote pretty decent sized paragraphs too. Scribe life really increased my typing speed LOL.
 
Can you utilize the copy and paste function during the exam? I expect at least a few redundant questions that I have seen before in interviews.

no.

So results are not sent to NYMC for 4 weeks. I assume nothing will happen with our application until then?

probably nothing.

Did anyone else not answer a question? Is this detrimental to my application!!! 😡

probably not a good thing.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the whole tech fiasco aside, CASPer itself seems to be an extremely poor measurement of us as applicants. It is extremely one-dimensional and gives an absurd amount of time to think through ethical decisions.

I couldn't help but laugh when the questionnaire at the end asked if other schools should use this instead of secondaries or interviews.

1886670033.jpg

not only that but I found CASPER as a company to be completely unprofessional.
 
Is everyone going to complain when they have to make quick clinical decisions in emergency situations as a physician? I get that these things are frustrating, but we all have the same test settings and therefore are on the same playing field. The point of having a short time is to see 1) how well applicants think on their feet quickly and creatively and 2) to prevent cheating.

It makes perfect sense to me and frankly the whining is more frustrating then any technical problem/test concern.

The $$$ is the most frustrating.
 
Did anyone else not answer a question? Is this detrimental to my application!!! 😡
They also said in the introduction that if you screw up a question to just relax because your final score is the average of all ten questions.

I missed one question and I type like the wind, if the wind were a really really fast typist. Given how many people here had glitches and other problems, I highly doubt it's a dealbreaker.
 
Does the school just get the final score? Or do they see all the responses or what? I feel like this whole process has been poorly explained.
 
Does the school just get the final score? Or do they see all the responses or what? I feel like this whole process has been poorly explained.

In canadian schools it's the students who grade it and then our files are reviewed if the score is high enough

My guess: I don't think adcoms see the responses
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so far so good on the 10am test (hope I didn't just jinx it!)

*Follow-up note: Completed without issue. Good luck everyone!
 
Last edited:
I wish my exam worked yesterday at 12PM so that I wouldn't have to take it at 2PM today. ;~; I'm so sad. Gonna drown my sorrows in coffee.

@rocklobstr glad to see you back friend 😀
 
Casper scenario #3: you are an employee at a struggling software company. today is the first day of releasing a new test aimed at screening medical applicants for school. your shift ends at 5 pm, but it is 4:59 pm and the server has crashed. emails from panicking premeds are flooding in. Your son, who you've been neglecting, has a little league game at 5:30 PM, exactly 20 minutes away. What do you do?
 
I felt like most questions followed the format of:

Do you agree or disagree with _____? Why or why not?

And every one of my answer was, well, it depends on this. If this yes. If this no.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Casper scenario #3: you are an employee at a struggling software company. today is the first day of releasing a new test aimed at screening medical applicants for school. your shift ends at 5 pm, but it is 4:59 pm and the server has crashed. emails from panicking premeds are flooding in. Your son, who you've been neglecting, has a little league game at 5:30 PM, exactly 20 minutes away. What do you do?

This is too real, I'm sure somebody was expecting to have a peaceful Sunday and then received a bunch of passive aggressive emails from us casually panicking pre-meds.
 
Can I get some clarification on someone who's been verified? I completed the secondary application using the link from their email. However, I never recieved an email confirmation and I can't log in using the same secondary application portal.

I can log in to the "check my application status" website and under the 'secondary application' header all it says is "A unique LOGIN ID and PASSWORD was sent to the email address listed on your AMCAS application in order for you to complete the NYMC Secondary Application" which is what was in their emails.

Am I correct in assuming they won't send a confirmation email until they verify the secondary and also is their essays really only the CASPer? I was hoping they had some of the traditional why NYMC, why you? etc., questions.

Also, in regards to CASPer, does the service "grade" our answers to measure personal attributes or is NYMC sent the answers and left to interpret? Are they looking for how we justify our answers or for a "correct" answer?
After submitting, you are supposed to log in through the "check application status" link, they mention that on the e-mail/instructions for the secondary. It takes a while for them to process the secondary + your LORs. I never received a confirmation e-mail, either, and I don't think they send one out. I submitted 7/9, and my status did not change to "complete" until 7/22.
 
Thanks, and CASPer automatically sends the score right? Seems like a really short secondary overall.
Yes, CASPer automatically sends the score to NYMC. Short secondary unfortunately =/= minimal stress thanks to CASPer, but if you haven't taken the test hopefully they'll have worked out the (many) kinks by the time you do take it.