2015-2016 New York Medical College Application Thread

Started by Ismet
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I'm taking it at 3pm PST today any advice? I'm not worried about this thing. It doesn't seem hard at all.

Make sure you do the practice exam beforehand and try actually answering the questions when you do (if you haven't already.) You'll realize how short 5 minutes can be for three questions. Especially when the questions ask things like "describe a time."

Weirdly, my timer didn't ever show during my test? And I actually think that helped me. I moved a lot faster and was a lot more concise. I only ran out of time once. It helped me to focus on answering just what was being asked. I hope they appreciate that tho...

I also wish, when I was waiting to get booted to the next question (once) I had taken a breath and added one more angle to consider to my answer. Instead I skipped forward. Wait to get booted.

Also, I was able to do this using chrome for iPad, if anyone's considering trying it. Worked fine. Except for the webcam, but I don't have one of those at home anyway.

Also also, don't down a tumbler of rum before your test like me.
 
FOR THE 6pm TEST TAKERS THAT GOT AN EMAIL ABOUT BEING RESCHEDULED:

I messaged the support team and they said that we will be receiving a second email confirming whether our test is at 7pm or 9pm, even though our window still says that we will be taking the test at 6pm. They said that we are certainly not taking the test at 6pm.

This Casper deal is such a mess and I hope that NYMC feels bad about themselves.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if we havent gotten an email yet about being rescheduled for the 6pm session..will one be coming? Are there still people taking the test at 6pm?
 
Heres what they said..
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 2.12.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 2.12.27 PM.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 223
Even though my window said the test is in 45 mins...
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 2.13.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-16 at 2.13.36 PM.png
    108.9 KB · Views: 131
So they expect me to sit here from 5:45 just in case it is at 6 until possibly 9 and however long it takes them to actually start the one at 9 and however long it takes me to finish it with all the technical difficulties. Great.
 
So they expect me to sit here from 5:45 just in case it is at 6 until possibly 9 and however long it takes them to actually start the one at 9 and however long it takes me to finish it with all the technical difficulties. Great.

Im just waiting for an email from NYMC saying "sorry about the whole CASPer deal.. we f***ed up... heres your acceptance for your troubles"
 
15 minute break (taking the 5 pm EDT test). Going well so far, no issues!

I really hope this is a lesson to CASPer. Since there's apparently a "final comments" section, I'm going to tell them that they need to offer way more frequent test dates for future test-takers.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My CASPer window just got refreshed and says I am taking the test in 3 hours... What a joke

Same... I rescheduled to tomorrow night because I am not staying up extra late just because CASPer can't get it's crap together. I left a weekend vacation early for this too, so frustrating!
 
YIKES seems like a disaster. Slightly disappointed because I left a family reunion picnic early to take this 6pm test and logged in to see that my test got bumped to 9pm...ugh.

Questions:
1. How do you "start" the test? Go to the take casper website, log in, and is there a start button?
2. Whats all this about webcam check and videocam check? My computer doesn't have a webcam...
3. Did anyone ACTUALLY take the test at 12pm today? LAWL.

Thanks, I figure the same fiasco is going to happen with us 6pm testtakers who got moved (without any notification...) to 9pm tonight and I'll end up taking it tomorrow (at the earliest) at some point. :/ come on nymc, you're my top choice, don't make me meet a ghost to complete my application!
 
Questions:
1. How do you "start" the test? Go to the take casper website, log in, and is there a start button?

I just finished the 4pm central test. When the countdown reaches 00:00, you simply click "begin test" or something like that.
It might be an unpopular opinion, but no issues plagued my session. It ran smoothly, video and all.
 
Just finished my test (5 pm EDT). Went very smoothly, no issues at all. I am hopeful that those of you taking the test at 7 pm and 9 pm EDT will also have very few issues because much fewer people are taking the test at the same time.

EDIT: Just saw this tweet from CASPer... really don't like its tone:
3pm and 5pm went smoothly, but please remember to avoid hammering the "sign in", "start" and "resume" buttons to help us out.
 
I love how this thread probably has the most pages out of all the 2015-2016 school-specific threads at this point, and 98% of the thread is about CASPER
 
I love how this thread probably has the most pages out of all the 2015-2016 school-specific threads at this point, and 98% of the thread is about CASPER

Just did a quick scroll through the school-specific threads, and yeah, NYMC definitely has the most pages. Second place is Mayo with 1,029 posts, and even that is about 500 posts less than this thread.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wrote kind of a mean review for the last page of "how my casper experience went". Hopefully they do not factor that in when grading my test. All I can say is thank god to be done with this nonsense
 
Important lessons in patience and understanding 🙂
I am not by any means attacking you, and I agree with your sentiment, but we can't just let this slide and chalk it up as a learning experience for us. I've gained a tremendous amount of patience and understanding throughout this cycle, and much of that comes from my experiences with CASPer. Sure, that's a plus. But the amount of unnecessary stress they bring upon applicants is ridiculous. People give up work shifts, etc. and willingly pay for a requirement, and this is what we get. I can forgive the fiasco that was July 15th, as that was the first day. What I can't get past is how they have the same problems they did a month ago - I may be wrong but isn't a month enough time to go over server/whatever issues they have and come up with plan that would accommodate the larger amount of test takers they have this year? That, and the fact that they send out out the same (and frankly, bordering on unapologetic) statuses and e-mails that basically read "Good job to our team, there were a lot of problems before and during the test that we were unprepared for but you all made it through, didn't you?"

You can argue that people posting on SDN are the more vocal, more anxious, and less patient bunch of the whole application pool, sure. But if no one speaks up about this, who will? When we talk about professionalism and being considerate of others, that shouldn't just be expected of applicants - that should be expected of EVERYONE involved in this whole process.
 
Last edited:
Just did a quick scroll through the school-specific threads, and yeah, NYMC definitely has the most pages. Second place is Mayo with 1,029 posts, and even that is about 500 posts less than this thread.
And let's not forget that like 60% of ours are solid gold.
 
Rushing home from the airport to try and get there for the 9 pm test. How long after it opens do we have? Is it 20 or 30 minutes?
 
Woo! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Probably only 3 prompts that I wasn't satisfied with my answers or was finishing up my typing.

If you're taking this in the future, don't get yourself into a hole by expanding too much on any particular question. Just answer what they're asking and you'll do just fine 🙂
 
So in the E-mail, it says that NYMC has "received my application." However, my AMCAS is not yet verified, does this mean that schools are able to see your application before it is verified? Or were they just alerted that I selected their school on AMCAS?
 
Finished the CASPer without any problems. Hopefully the system just works from here on out and sorry to hear about those who had to deal with the server overload
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this before, but the whole tech fiasco aside, CASPer itself seems to be an extremely poor measurement of us as applicants. It is extremely one-dimensional and gives an absurd amount of time to think through ethical decisions.

I couldn't help but laugh when the questionnaire at the end asked if other schools should use this instead of secondaries or interviews.

1886670033.jpg