2015-2016 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Enjoy!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Almost 8 weeks since my interview, anyone in the same boat? Hoping this is good news, as two other schools I interviewed at in March have already rejected me.

Almost 8 weeks since my interview, anyone in the same boat? Hoping this is good news, as two other schools I interviewed at in March have already rejected me.

I interviewed late February - so just barely over 2 months now - and I haven't heard anything yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students comment on whether it is beneficial to attend the pre-orientation in June, or can I hangout until August for matriculation? I am unable to make the April revisit day because of work. Also I am from California so travel is expensive, but am willing to go, if attending pre-orientation is worth it.

Definitely don't fly in from California for the he pre-orientation! You can very safely skip it. You won't miss out on anything worthwhile.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Have they created a Facebook group for the incoming class yet? They said it'd be after revisit day

Anyone still not hear one word from Stony Brook at all? I've seen acceptances/rejections / waitlist but do they also do silent rejections.?

Have they created a Facebook group for the incoming class yet? They said it'd be after revisit day

When I google Stony Brook Med 2020, I found the group.

Update, the page I found is for the dental class 2020.

Last edited:
When I google Stony Brook Med 2020, I found the group.
All I can see is the group for the dental class of 2020. Do you mind posting the link you found?

All I can see is the group for the dental class of 2020. Do you mind posting the link you found?

You are absolutely right. The one I found is indeed for the dental class of 2020. Sorry about the confusion. I guess we have to wait a little bit.

The FB group is apparently made by first-year students. I have a friend in the class who said he'd let me know when it's made.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anyone successfully receive a refund on their $100 deposit here? How did you go about it?

Did anyone successfully receive a refund on their $100 deposit here? How did you go about it?
I emailed the admissions office then received an email from the registrar (or was it the bursar) saying I'll receive my refund in a month. The refund came in about 3 weeks after that email.

Withdrew from here. I hated myself for doing that because its such a great place for medical training, but I hope my acceptance goes to one of you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any idea when we will receive our FA award letter?

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys so is safe to say WL movement can be expected from the 15th onwards? I didn't realize it before but I see that AMCAS has pushed traffic day from the 1st to the 15th.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi guys so is safe to say WL movement can be expected from the 15th onwards? I didn't realize it before but I see that AMCAS has pushed traffic day from the 1st to the 15th.

Wow, didn't notice that change until now. But I think, unfortunately, it means they have to notify the school that they are poaching from starting May 15. Waitlist movement seems to be already under way and for applicants with acceptances (poaching), just not that many posts on SDN I think.

Where is this change posted? Thanks!

That's actually really weird b/c I'm on the wait list for another school as well and they emailed me today asking if I'm still interested in attending their school. In the email they said "Now that the April 30 deadline has passed and you have narrowed your choice of medical school down to one..."
Do the traffic rules differ from school to school?

Last edited:
April 30/May 2 was traffic day. As far as I can tell, the May 15th thing is just about when a school that wants to nab you from a school where you're already accepted at has to notify them.

if you click this link, it doesn't go to the aamc pdf you intended, it goes to the medical college of georgia login haha :)

also, that's the 2014 traffic rules, as far as I know, as of the 2015 cycle the change was from May 15th to April 30th, so this is only the 2nd cycle it's been this way

Hahaha well you know where I've been frantically refreshing. I updated the link now. Thanks for point that out.

@Cara Delevingne @easybreezybeautiful @Citygirl44

I was told by one of my interviewers at Stony Brook that they try to accept as many students as possible without wait listing them. They said if you don’t hear back after an interview, that it likely means they want to accept you and are waiting for seats to come back in order to offer one. I don’t know if that is true, but I was accepted today after hearing nothing for 2 months post interview. Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

Lizzy M 69, IS, took 2 years off after science undergrad (I don't know if that makes me traditional or not)

Reactions: 4 users

I was told by one of my interviewers at Stony Brook that they try to accept as many students as possible without wait listing them. They said if you don’t hear back after an interview, that it likely means they want to accept you and are waiting for seats to come back in order to offer one. I don’t know if that is true, but I was accepted today after hearing nothing for 2 months post interview. Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

Lizzy M 69, IS, took 2 years off after science undergrad (I don't know if that makes me traditional or not)

That's what my suspicion was, otherwise they would've already put me in the waitlist pool. Thanks, and congratulations

So its a bad sign I got put on the WL <month after my interview? :(

I interviewed months ago and haven't heard anything. Kind of unprofessional, no?

It seems like you were right on the money. After not hearing anything for over two months I got accepted here on Tuesday, 5/3.

LizzyM 75ish, ISish, also in my 2nd year off since completing my undergrad.

Reactions: 2 users
So this may be a stupid question, but the 2017 MSAR has data regarding the number of people interviewed and accepted, is that data from a previous year or is it this application cycle?

Edit: didn't see they said 2015 entering class lol

Last edited:
Hey all! Has anyone been accepted off the wait list yet?

Got a missed call from them but I was in class :0 not sure what this means. They didn't pick up when I called back

Edit: Now I have to wait until tomorrow ughhhbfjklnrw;faes. I should have just walked out of the final.

Last edited:
Congrats! How did they notify you?
Got a call from the admissions office, which I missed, so they left a message asking me to call them back regarding the status of my application. Called back and they told me the good news!

Got a call from the admissions office, which I missed, so they left a message asking me to call them back regarding the status of my application. Called back and they told me the good news!
could you provide your stats please

Officially accepted! Interviewed in mid-March. Keep your heads up for those who are still waiting to hear back!

Accepted yesterday off the WL as well. Really thought this was a long shot, good luck everyone!!

Just withdrew my acceptance! Bitter-sweet. What an amazing school- good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Any updates on when financial aid letters are going out?