2015-2016 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was just told they would not put up my financial aid info on SOLAR until May...

Just withdrew my acceptance here, hope it goes to one of y'all! Best of luck!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted!!! Interviewed early March! So pumped ahhh

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone received financial aid info yet? I was just told they would not put up my financial aid info on SOLAR until May...

Per the admissions office, financial aid info won't be on SOLAR for anyone until May. It makes it inconvenient when trying to decide between schools, but keep in mind this is a public school and they aren't going to be giving out much (it's need-based).

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry if somebody asked this but does anyone know how often the committee meets?

Is there anyone that interviewed mid February that hasn't heard back ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did any current students receive scholarship(s) upon matriculation?

Can any current students comment on whether it is beneficial to attend the pre-orientation in June, or can I hangout until August for matriculation? I am unable to make the April revisit day because of work. Also I am from California so travel is expensive, but am willing to go, if attending pre-orientation is worth it.

Is there a SBU FB group for accepted students?

Reactions: 1 users
Ok so I interviewed in November and was wait listed. I wrote a letter of intent/update letter in January and have not heard from them since then.

I recently received my first acceptance from Albany, however Stony may still be my first choice. Will my letter of intent (written in January) hold more value now that I have an acceptance? But will Stony be pulling my file out to look at again to see that I only recently received an acceptance?

How do I have a better shot at coming off the wait list- should I wait it out or be proactive beyond what I have already sent?

Ok so I interviewed in November and was wait listed. I wrote a letter of intent/update letter in January and have not heard from them since then.

I recently received my first acceptance from Albany, however Stony may still be my first choice. Will my letter of intent (written in January) hold more value now that I have an acceptance? But will Stony be pulling my file out to look at again to see that I only recently received an acceptance?

How do I have a better shot at coming off the wait list- should I wait it out or be proactive beyond what I have already sent?

It seems like the wait list doesn't start moving until after April 30th, which means that you pretty much have to commit to Albany (seeing that you have to submit your deposit before that date). If SBU is your dream school, try giving the admissions office a call and see if there is anything you can do to get a decision before 4/30. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I'm not sure how you know if you have a shot coming off the wait list, but you can submit your deposit to Albany, and still remain on the Stony Brook wait list after April 30th. That way, if you do eventually get pulled off it, you can withdraw from Albany. Still, I would contact Stony again mid-April or sometime soon. Can't hurt to express how interested you are! I'm planning on doing the same ;)

Going to withdraw my acceptance from here... with a serious heavy heart. Literally cried from joy when I got accepted here.

The admissions committee and department are such a pleasure to deal with, and everybody at the school seemed so nice. I loved the two doctors I interviewed with, and this school invited me for an interview earlier than some of my other schools.. made me feel wanted, during a time when I'm sure as you all know, was filled with self doubt and insecurity.

If you want to go to this school, or any other for that matter, and you're waiting post interview, or on the wait-list... send a significant update letter/ intent letter. It goes a long way. Send it ASAP. Call the department and ask what else you can do to express your sincere interest.

Best of luck to you guys! Feel free to PM me for any help with update/interest emails. = ]

Has anyone received their FinAid package yet?

Has anyone received their FinAid package yet?
I haven't even sent my stuff in yet-there's no deadline, so I'm assuming they won't have anything ready until much later

Anyone receive a weird post-bac letter from Jack Fuhrer about an automatic matriculation Physiology graduate program into Stony Brook Med School (as long as a certain criteria is met)? I was rejected from SBU. I have never heard of this...

Congrats! I've heard a little bit about it, it seems to be a good thing. Guaranteed acceptance!
I'm just sketched out honestly because there is literally nothing on the internet anywhere about this program...

Anyone receive a weird post-bac letter from Jack Fuhrer about an automatic matriculation Physiology graduate program into Stony Brook Med School (as long as a certain criteria is met)? I was rejected from SBU. I have never heard of this...

Never heard of it either. You should email them back. I noticed that Stony's website is seriously lackluster. No published match list for an allopathic medical school in 2016?? The admissions site also leaves much to be desired so dont be surprised if the program actually exists but there is no web page for it. Stony students obviously match, despite the lack of a web page showing it.

With that being said, anyone planning on going to revisit day next Friday?

Never heard of it either. You should email them back. I noticed that Stony's website is seriously lackluster. No published match list for an allopathic medical school in 2016?? The admissions site also leaves much to be desired so dont be surprised if the program actually exists but there is no web page for it. Stony students obviously match, despite the lack of a web page showing it.

With that being said, anyone planning on going to revisit day next Friday?

Found the match list for year 2015:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lication-thread.1074046/page-11#post-16330819

Anyone has access to this year's match list?

On a side note, when would be the orientation date?

Found the match list for year 2015:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...lication-thread.1074046/page-11#post-16330819

Anyone has access to this year's match list?

On a side note, when would be the orientation date?

Thanks. I think its a nice touch when some medical schools email you with their match lists (or at the very least upload them online within a few days).

I feel out of the loop, and once again, cant find info on their website...but what is pre-orientation?

Thanks. I think its a nice touch when some medical schools email you with their match lists (or at the very least upload them online within a few days).

I feel out of the loop, and once again, cant find info on their website...but what is pre-orientation?

Definitely!

No clue on the pre-orientation, maybe the school will give more info on that during the second look day? Anyone planning to go to the second look? Please share your feedback (can't make it )!

I was accepted in October. I just missed a call from the Office of Admissions. Did this happen to anyone else?

I was told that in order to get financial package before May, I need to email the director of financial aid. Did anyone try to get financial package from her yet?

I was told that in order to get financial package before May, I need to email the director of financial aid. Did anyone try to get financial package from her yet?
Do you mean email them with your documents? I think they'll wait until giving out any packages, especially since they don't have a due date.

Hey all, anyone have any idea how long it typically takes them to get back to students with decisions? I interviewed on 03/11. I'm trying to decide between a few schools Stony was one of my favorites! Thanks in advance for any insight

Hey all, anyone have any idea how long it typically takes them to get back to students with decisions? I interviewed on 03/11. I'm trying to decide between a few schools Stony was one of my favorites! Thanks in advance for any insight

i interviewed just a few days before you and heard back with a WL decision about 3 weeks later. so I guess no news still may be good news! i also was not expecting a decision that fast

i interviewed just a few days before you and heard back with a WL decision about 3 weeks later. so I guess no news still may be good news! i also was not expecting a decision that fast
Ok, thanks for the response! Best of luck to you.

I interviewed March 1st and i'm still waiting......

Accepted!!!! Interviewed 3/1. :banana:

Reactions: 4 users
Can any current students comment on whether it is beneficial to attend the pre-orientation in June, or can I hangout until August for matriculation? I am unable to make the April revisit day because of work. Also I am from California so travel is expensive, but am willing to go, if attending pre-orientation is worth it.

I'm also from California and am wondering the same thing... It seems absurd to travel across the country for a 4 hour event so I doubt I'll go. Hopefully we can find roommates and housing without it. Haven't fully decided on stony but I'm slowly being sold haha.

I'd love to hear more about the student life/how living is in the area from anyone with time to share.

Does anyone know how significant movement on the waitlist is here? Are letters of interest helpful?