2015-2016 Stony Brook University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who have interviewed here, what types of interview questions did you get? I'm interviewing soon, so this would be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Weirdest thing happened here. One of my interviewers straight up said "your app was one of the best I have ever read" and we just talked about some mutual interests for the rest of the time. Really one of the nicest people I've met and my most enjoyable interview.

Silence since then and I interviewed Months ago.

Ironically, my next interviewer seemed to absolutely hate me and proceeded to spend the entire hour trying to tear my research to absolute shreds. He literally didn't even read my application. My other interviews went well but this guy really really tarnished my view of a school that I had really wanted to go to and soured the taste of my visit. This may explain the silence.

Having those two interviews within minutes of each other was quite the juxtaposition.

To answer the interview questions question, I got no real "questions" except for the traditional "why the hell are ya here" everything else was conversational and relaxed.

Reactions: 1 user
Weirdest thing happened here. One of my interviewers straight up said "your app was one of the best I have ever read" and we just talked about some mutual interests for the rest of the time. Really one of the nicest people I've met and my most enjoyable interview.

Silence since then and I interviewed Months ago.

Ironically, my next interviewer seemed to absolutely hate me and proceeded to spend the entire hour trying to tear my research to absolute shreds. He literally didn't even read my application. My other interviews went well but this guy really really tarnished my view of a school that I had really wanted to go to and soured the taste of my visit. This may explain the silence.

Having those two interviews within minutes of each other was quite the juxtaposition.

To answer the interview questions question, I got no real "questions" except for the traditional "why the hell are ya here" everything else was conversational and relaxed.

Thank you! Hopefully you will hear good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have interviewed here, what types of interview questions did you get? I'm interviewing soon, so this would be greatly appreciated!

My interview sessions were both quite conversational. I had typical questions for a career switching non-traditional applicant. The rest questions were about my hobby listed on AMCAS, my thoughts on how to balance research and clinic (my background is research heavy), and general aspects of life in Long Island.

Good luck!

Does anyone know if they have a facebook group going for the incoming class yet? Can someone PM me the link if they have it?
A Facebook group will be created soon after we get a better idea of who is going to matriculate here. We will get a list to verify the incoming class. You will have plenty of time to connect with each other before you start school.

Question for current SB medical students... How easy is it to gain NY residency?

Both of my interviews were largely conversational. Just talked about my activities/job since obtaining my bachelors and our mutual interests. Very casual and friendly. I got the feeling from the other applicants who I interviewed with that they had similar experiences. Just be able to talk about your experiences and I'm sure you'll kill it.

For those who have been accepted, how long did it take SBU to process your deposit?

Both of my interviews were largely conversational. Just talked about my activities/job since obtaining my bachelors and our mutual interests. Very casual and friendly. I got the feeling from the other applicants who I interviewed with that they had similar experiences. Just be able to talk about your experiences and I'm sure you'll kill it.

For those who have been accepted, how long did it take SBU to process your deposit?

6 days for me to have the deposit processed.

I am not a current student but I just spoke with the financial aid office. You have to be in NY 12 months prior to the date of enrollment and it must not be school related.

I am not a current student but I just spoke with the financial aid office. You have to be in NY 12 months prior to the date of enrollment and it must not be school related.

I just had an interview and heard this too. The lady from financial aid made it seem like it was possible to become a resident after 12 months of being a med student at SB, so I'm a bit confused. The link she provided says, "Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college." Does that include medical school? Maybe someone can help clarify this statement.

I just had an interview and heard this too. The lady from financial aid made it seem like it was possible to become a resident after 12 months of being a med student at SB, so I'm a bit confused. The link she provided says, "Individuals do not meet the twelve-month residency requirement if domiciled in New York State primarily to attend college." Does that include medical school? Maybe someone can help clarify this statement.

Admissions here and at other schools on interview day made it a point you can get in-state residency your second year. I am not sure, but believe the line you are referring to may refer to if a student is living on a college campus.

Admissions here and at other schools on interview day made it a point you can get in-state residency your second year. I am not sure, but believe the line you are referring to may refer to if a student is living on a college campus.
So you'd have to live off campus to qualify...

So you'd have to live off campus to qualify...

I think I remember reading somewhere off-campus housing is required to establish in-state residency, but I don't remember where. Best to call Admissions and ask.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I remember reading somewhere off-campus housing is required to establish in-state residency, but I don't remember where. Best to call Admissions and ask.

Yes, I also remember reading that somewhere. Different SUNY college have different interpretation.

I called the Office of Student Affairs to double check and the woman I spoke with said she has "very few medical students" who are not able to attain instate residency after the first year.

Reactions: 1 users
I called the Office of Student Affairs to double check and the woman I spoke with said she has "very few medical students" who are not able to attain instate residency after the first year.

But to confirm, its ONLY when you live off campus and not in graduate housing?

But to confirm, its ONLY when you live off campus and not in graduate housing?

From what I understand, yes. Per the financial aid FAQ's given on interview day: "Keep in mind that residency status is not determined on campus." I went to SB undergrad, and there are some great areas to live off-campus, as I did my senior year. It is nice that graduate housing on-campus is literally across the street from the hospital, but it's not worth not getting in-state residency if you are out-of-state.

The portal says 6-8 weeks after the interview.

It is extremely difficult not having any solid idea when there will be news as some people hear back in 4 weeks. Some 10 weeks later.
I'm currently in week 7 of waiting shriveling away... I know this is the nature of the game but just wanted to whine :shrug:

My friend got an interview sometime last week, but I can't imagine there are many invites left. Best to check out last year's thread or call Admin.

Any current students here who can comment on how much a car will be necessary? Also, if they know how much people are paying for rent off-campus?

Any current students here who can comment on how much a car will be necessary? Also, if they know how much people are paying for rent off-campus?

Any input on off-campus rent for a family with a newborn would be truly appreciated!

Any input on off-campus rent for a family with a newborn would be truly appreciated!

my sis has a 1 bedroom apartment in nearby port jeff and her rent is around $1500 a month (not including utilities). it's a short drive to stony brook. she found her apartment on trulia.

Interviewed MSTP in early December and still haven't heard back, what gives?
It's been 13 weeks...

my sis has a 1 bedroom apartment in nearby port jeff and her rent is around $1500 a month (not including utilities). it's a short drive to stony brook. she found her apartment on trulia.

Thank you for your input!

I can speak to my experience here as an undergraduate. There are various bus routes in Suffolk County which will take you to shopping centers (when I left there was a student rate during the week and it was free for students on the weekends). There are also a couple school-sponsored buses several days a week which will take students to local shopping plazas, running every 30 minutes I believe. I can't speak to the necessity of having a car during clinical rotations at the affiliate hospitals, but I can say a car will at least be very helpful. You may be able to manage, but managing your life around bus schedules is not always easy.

As for apartments, $1500 for a single-room, no-utilities apartment is definitely on the higher end and only that much because Port Jeff is a nice area. I was living in a nice two-bedroom apartment with all utilities beside AC for $1500, and that was considered expensive.

I can speak to my experience here as an undergraduate. There are various bus routes in Suffolk County which will take you to shopping centers (when I left there was a student rate during the week and it was free for students on the weekends). There are also a couple school-sponsored buses several days a week which will take students to local shopping plazas, running every 30 minutes I believe. I can't speak to the necessity of having a car during clinical rotations at the affiliate hospitals, but I can say a car will at least be very helpful. You may be able to manage, but managing your life around bus schedules is not always easy.

As for apartments, $1500 for a single-room, no-utilities apartment is definitely on the higher end and only that much because Port Jeff is a nice area. I was living in a nice two-bedroom apartment with all utilities beside AC for $1500, and that was considered expensive.
Thank you very much for the information!

As someone who grew up in these very parts, look for housing outside of Port Jeff, too. Miller Place, Mount Sinai, Rocky Point, Port Jeff, Coram and a few others share very closeknit borders. Port Jeff typically will be the most expensive out of these listed, but the ETA from Downport VS Mt. Sinai to SB is minimal at best.

Waitlisted. Interviewed late January. IS. Thought interviews went really well.

Also wait listed. Interviewed mid February, thought I rocked it... Stony is my top choice. Anyone know the chances of getting off the wait list??

Also wait listed. Interviewed mid February, thought I rocked it... Stony is my top choice. Anyone know the chances of getting off the wait list??

According to MSAR, they waitlist ~300 and last year 65 were offered acceptances from the waitlist.

Thanks all! Does anyone have an idea of when the best time to send a letter of intent after being wait listed is? Good luck to everyone :)

Last edited:
I don't understand how unranked waitlists work? Do they just start pulling people off the waitlist according to the date they went on the waitlists? Or random? It seems a ranking system would just make sense. Am I missing something?

I don't understand how unranked waitlists work? Do they just start pulling people off the waitlist according to the date they went on the waitlists? Or random? It seems a ranking system would just make sense. Am I missing something?

I think generally, schools that do unranked wait lists will reassess the entire wait list pool regularly, so students get compared against each other, and the committee tries to build a well rounded class as spots in the class open

SB is going to the big dance!

Reactions: 3 users

When in February did you interview?

Can a current student talk a bit about the clinical sites? Is there much choice in where you do the clerkships, or are you sent all over the place between the VA, Winthrop, NUMC, and Stony Brook Hospital?

Thanks!

Is there a HPWL this year or just a regular Waitlist?

They've done away with HPWL. We're all in the same boat now, god help us

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I was put on the waitlist in December and this whole time I was thinking I didn't make the cut to be on a HPWL. This is great news for me!

At this point, if I have gotten into a higher ranked school, does that lower my chances of getting into here?