2015-2016 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me when the secondary is available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the "I understand" secondary box (the last one). What do you put?

Is the look up high school code working for you guys? It doesnt have New Mexico as a state...

I was wondering about the specialty question. Do you think a one line answer is sufficient or do they want an essay about the different specialties I am interested in and why?

Hey guys, so I just submitted, but I don't see anything when I log back on... it's as if my entire application is missing. Anyone else?

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, so I just submitted, but I don't see anything when I log back on... it's as if my entire application is missing. Anyone else?
Same for me. I was actually browsing last year's thread when I got the secondary, and was just reading about how people knew their submissions were in: They tried starting a new application and it wouldn't let them. Did that, and the error message said I already completed the secondary.

Also of note from the previous year's thread: you can eventually check the status of your application on the portal (I assume it's gonna take a while for the system to update, though). Upstate does send out "application complete" e-mails.

Finally, first II was received on 7/29 last year, and some people said they never got e-mail notifications, just a status change.

Anybody else not yet get a secondary? IS, verified AMCAS in early June...

Members don't see this ad :)
No essays, just the usual explain if you've been arrested, etc. There is also a section asking what you've done since graduation if you're taking a gap year.

Well, there were essays, just optional. Maxed at 1800 characters: What you did post graduation if you've graduated and what your current interest in medicine was.

Well, there were essays, just optional. Maxed at 1800 characters: What you did post graduation if you've graduated and what your current interest in medicine was.
For the specialty question I just typed in the field.

:boom:I honestly didn't even think to name rather than name and explain.
I honestly would have explained too, but as I mentioned earlier I was browsing last year's thread when I got the secondary, and I was about 5-6 pages in and saw that people didn't provide an explanation so I was like eh, I'm not gonna do it.

Found the "secondary received" email in my spam folder - it was sent 7 hours ago. According to the portal they still haven't received/processed my committee letter.

Yeah I still haven't either. I don't believe I would have been screened out (and I don't think Upstate screens) so I guess just wait a little bit?

For the specialty question I just typed in the field.

I did the same thing....I thought it would be like those schools that just ask you to bubble in your interests in a specialty from a list. I had no idea it was a small essay.

I did the same thing....I thought it would be like those schools that just ask you to bubble in your interests in a specialty from a list. I had no idea it was a small essay.
I don't think your answer necessarily has to be an essay, based on last year's thread.

Should I be concerned that I haven't gotten a secondary yet? My AMCAS was verified in early June.

Do you know anything about the Rural Scholars Program?

I believe this is an option you can select either pre- or post-interview. I'm not very familiar unfortunately, but I do recall someone during the interview mentioning he was interviewing specifically for this program. They did have brochures about it on interview day, so I believe you can state your interest while in the process of getting in. One option is also to call in and ask them what your options are if you are interested in this.

Sorry I'm not much help on this...

I believe this is an option you can select either pre- or post-interview. I'm not very familiar unfortunately, but I do recall someone during the interview mentioning he was interviewing specifically for this program. They did have brochures about it on interview day, so I believe you can state your interest while in the process of getting in. One option is also to call in and ask them what your options are if you are interested in this.

Sorry I'm not much help on this...
That's unfortunate. Thank you though. It's a separate application process. Third year involves a multi-month clerkship at a family practice office and I was wondering how that affected learning in other rotations.

That's unfortunate. Thank you though. It's a separate application process. Third year involves a multi-month clerkship at a family practice office and I was wondering how that affected learning in other rotations.

I'm guessing you've seen these, but just in case, things look pretty structured:

http://www.upstate.edu/fmed/education/rmed/program_overview_pages/

http://www.upstate.edu/currentstudents/academic/records/com-clerkship-tracks.php

Perhaps someone else can chime in.

Good luck! :)

For the question asking which speciality, is it okay if I have a 150 word paragraph explain why I would like to pursue a career in family medicine. Or should i just say "Family Medicine" without any explanation.

There is already very little on the secondary -- I think a little 150 word blurb wouldn't hurt. To be honest I don't think it really matters, they'll probably delve into whatever you list when you attend an interview.

I havent received my secondary yet actually, I was just pre-writing this. What else do they ask in the secondary, if you dont mind me asking.
"If you earned your baccalaureate degree prior to this past June, please indicate your plans for the upcoming academic year"

I think this prompt is what are you school plans if you're still in school, I do not remember as I didn't copy it and the secondary is already submitted.

What is the average GPA and MCAT for accepted international or OOS students?

anyone submit early july (1st week) and still not get the secondary?

For those who have submitted the secondary, does your status page say they've received your letters already?

I believe it says "uploading" or something of that sort.
I see. Mine's still blank and I was wondering if this is something I should call about (since it has been a week) or wait on for a few more days.

I see. Mine's still blank and I was wondering if this is something I should call about (since it has been a week) or wait on for a few more days.

Nah, I would just sit back. The initial wave of applications are probably slamming them. My letters have been in since June 2nd, so its just them maxing out their processing abilities.

I'd call first week of August if it's still not complete.

Nah, I would just sit back. The initial wave of applications are probably slamming them. My letters have been in since June 2nd, so its just them maxing out their processing abilities.

I'd call first week of August if it's still not complete.
AMCAS received my committee letter 6/19, so it's probably in the processing queue for Upstate. Thanks!

ANyone without secondary? I submitted AMCAS on first day..

Reactions: 4 users
ANyone without secondary? I submitted AMCAS on first day..

I'm curious, are you OOS?

I'm wondering if an initial preference goes to IS, then OOS.