2015-2016 SUNY Upstate Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ANyone without secondary? I submitted AMCAS on first day..

Don't have on either. Submitted fist day as well and IS. Don't sweat it. Should be coming soon

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Likewise. IS. So many reasons to sweat.

Members don't see this ad :)
No reason to sweat, though. They don't screen and I haven't read anything about rolling, rather just advice to submit as early as possible! The secondary is easy, as well, so you can quickly turn it out ASAP.

Reactions: 1 user
Just got an email telling me my application is missing items. I went to check my online status and it seems like they didn't get my committee letters but I don't have a prehealth committee so I assigned individual letters like weeks ago! I paid for the secondary a whole week ago already. Did anyone else get this? What is missing??

Just got an email telling me my application is missing items. I went to check my online status and it seems like they didn't get my committee letters but I don't have a prehealth committee so I assigned individual letters like weeks ago! I paid for the secondary a whole week ago already. Did anyone else get this? What is missing??

I got the same email. I know I'm still missing 1 letter but I'm not sure if they will mark me complete without it (some schools did, some haven't). I haven't logged in to see exactly what was missing yet.

+1. I have all individual letters and they've been in since mid June. I'm not sure if I should ignore this or call...

This email was sent at 3am this morning. It's likely just an automated email the system sends when it sees that you're missing something. It's likely that their admissions office just hasn't been able to process your application yet, which is why it shows you're missing the letter.

I also received the application incomplete email even though my committee letter packet was received by AMCAS

I called the admissions office and the nice lady looked my application up and said my letters haven't been downloaded yet. She also said that they have been having issues with AMCAS (I assume she was referring to downloading letters) and that they're working on fixing that.

Anyone still not have a secondary?

I contacted and they said there is a technical issue.

I also received the application incomplete email even though my committee letter packet was received by AMCAS

Yep, same here. I think they're just slowly downloading these manually right? If they're not uploaded in a week, then it might be time to worry a bit I'd say?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, same here. I think they're just slowly downloading these manually right? If they're not uploaded in a week, then it might be time to worry a bit I'd say?
The lady I talked to said call back again next week if my letter still isn't marked received by then.

Idk. But I was verified on 6/08 which is pretty early I think, and I haven't received a secondary yet and am quasi concerned

Verified 7/9 and still no secondary yet either.

Hmmm, does anyone know if you're supposed to enter courses with AMCAS semester hours? Their required semester hours are funky like 3 or 6 or 8

Question: In the Personal Information section, what are we suppose to put in the last box? "I understand the policy"?

If I'm going to be in school for the 2015 - 2016 year, do I just click "yes" for will be doing so this year or should I also take the box to talk about my plans while I'm in school? What do you guys think?

If I'm going to be in school for the 2015 - 2016 year, do I just click "yes" for will be doing so this year or should I also take the box to talk about my plans while I'm in school? What do you guys think?
I think you should just click yes. They only really wanna hear your plans if you aren't in school

Just got this e-mail...in case anyone is worried about the secondary not being processed. I got the incomplete e-mail earlier this morning too.

"Thank you for applying to SUNY Upstate Medical University. Your application has been received!

Office of Admissions & Financial Aid"

Hmmm, does anyone know if you're supposed to enter courses with AMCAS semester hours? Their required semester hours are funky like 3 or 6 or 8

Bump does anyone know the answer to this? enter semester hours as it appears on transcript or on AMCAS? I tried emailing and calling them, but they never got back to me :(

Bump does anyone know the answer to this? enter semester hours as it appears on transcript or on AMCAS? I tried emailing and calling them, but they never got back to me :(
I did AMCAS semester hours.

Anybody STILL not have a secondary?

As an update, the portal now shows that letters of rec have been downloaded. Progress!

Remember that last year's thread talks a lot about having status changes without emails, so be sure to check the portal!

As an update, the portal now shows that letters of rec have been downloaded. Progress!

Remember that last year's thread talks a lot about having status changes without emails, so be sure to check the portal!
+1

And yes, the first IIs reported were from people who just happened to check their portals; they never got an e-mail about a status change. IIs went out around 7/29 last year!

+2

but where on the portal should we be looking out for the interview invite? I don't see a specific section for it

EDIT: it's apparently near the bottom in big bold letters and everything, according to last years thread

Last edited:
I love secondaries with no real essays!

Has anyone figured out what the heck we are suppose to do or write for that box next to the "If you submit this you won't be able to modify it later....?"

Has anyone figured out what the heck we are suppose to do or write for that box next to the "If you submit this you won't be able to modify it later....?"
I just put "I understand" or something like that. I'm pretty sure they just want us to express understanding and/or agreement. FWIW I'm marked complete now and that's all I said.

So after getting that e-mail about being complete, I checked the portal, and it says "Application marked as complete; no changes allowed. Restarting application process."

What does that last part mean? And does anyone else have that? Thanks!

So after getting that e-mail about being complete, I checked the portal, and it says "Application marked as complete; no changes allowed. Restarting application process."

What does that last part mean? And does anyone else have that? Thanks!
Hmmm, I don't have that anywhere in the portal.

one of my top choices! amcas submitted 6/02 IS 36 mcat. no secondary yet :shrug: I hope the "technical issue" is resolved soon, I'm anxious to apply!

Interesting...did you get the complete e-mail? Right after you log-in, it's on the main page above "Applications in Progress"
Yep, I received it last night. It's not there for me, and I tried starting a new application (last year they said that's how you test if they've received your submission) and it's not letting me do so, so I think I'm good.

Yep, I received it last night. It's not there for me, and I tried starting a new application (last year they said that's how you test if they've received your submission) and it's not letting me do so, so I think I'm good.

I just checked the portal again and it's not there for me anymore either. Weird...
Ok, thanks!

What do you guys make of Upstate's prerequisites? I am a Biology major with a competitive application, however I haven't taken Biology II or their labs, as my college waived the classes because I took a class deemed equivalent (but not a General Bio class). I have taken many Bio classes since.
Is this an app killer? Upstate is a top choice and I would hate for this to ruin my application considering I'm competitive in all other aspects. I also don't have a committee letter because I didn't have a class finished in time for the committee to review my application, and they only review once a year (nothing I could do about this one). I feel like that is two dings against their requirements. Any thoughts?

I'm pretty sure (don't quote me on this) that any req is replaced by a higher up version, so to speak. For instance, I took bio II but not bio I (similarly to you) but I'm also a bio major. I'm now attending and have heard nothing about it so I'll guess you're fine.

Edited to say that doing labs is still important. I'd just call and ask them.

I actually sent them an email and they said I could be accepted, but prior to enrollment I would have to finish any outstanding prerequisite classes.
It didn't really seem to answer my question of upper level classes replacing the Gen Bio classes, but I'm going to look further into it. I have plenty of Bio lab experience, just not the gen bio labs. Hopefully this one small detail won't tie me up too much.