2015-2016 Texas Tech University - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow! Congratulations! I'm so glad you got into Southwestern and I'm thrilled that there will be another spot at Tech!
Thanks lol

Members don't see this ad.

Wow! Congratulations! I'm so glad you got into Southwestern and I'm thrilled that there will be another spot at Tech!
Why can't they tell you where you are on the waitlist, so if lets say your last you don't have to waste your time? lol

I called and spoke with the folks in the admissions office. According to them, 200 people are placed on their waitlist. They anticipate accepting 15-25 off of the list; however, they have accepted up to 50 students in the past. The reason they don't rank their alternate pool is because as one student declines the offer they look for a student with similar characteristics, such as lots of research experience, demographics, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work with a dr that sat on the adcom at TT awhile back and said that its almost entirely based off of race... which is ridiculous. For example if a hispanic female drops out then they will replace that seat with a hispanic female.

I work with a dr that sat on the adcom at TT awhile back and said that its almost entirely based off of race... which is ridiculous. For example if a hispanic female drops out then they will replace that seat with a hispanic female.

Welcome to Medicine

Not really that ridiculous. They were going for diversity when choosing the class. It actually makes sense when you think about it that way.

2o something years of hard work in life and it still comes down to the color of my skin

Reactions: 3 users

I agree that it is ridiculous. In fact, I'd say it's flat out racist. All applications should be colorblind IMO, solely based off of merit.

Reactions: 1 user
I called yesterday and the office predicted there would be movement soon considering at least 3 people withdrew their acceptances. If anyone receives an email of acceptance off the waitlist, please post about it. It doesn't seem like there has been any movement off the waitlist yet. I think they are still making decisions on who they will offer acceptances to.

I called today and they said they had extended offers to a very small number of people, and they plan to extend more soon. They also said they have just under 200 people in the alternate pool -_-

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I called today and they said they had extended offers to a very small number of people, and they plan to extend more soon. They also said they have just under 200 people in the alternate pool -_-
That seems like a bit too many lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I hope we all get off this waitlist. It's kinda nerve racking.

I hope we all get off this waitlist. It's kinda nerve racking.
Nope. Considering the list is almost 200, very likely that the people that get pulled off won't have/use SDN to report in here.

Being that it's the end of the second week of May, is it safe to assume that most of the movement from that the waitlist that was going to happen, has already happened?

Being that it's the end of the second week of May, is it safe to assume that most of the movement from that the waitlist that was going to happen, has already happened?

I sure hope not

it means they've offered admisison to 5 people on the waitlist, whether or not theyve accepted is unknown. They said they expect 20 or so total, but it could be anything from 5-50 technically

Got into Tech off the alternate list last week. I've decided to take it over the school I'm currently committed to.

Just thought you guys would appreciate knowing about someone who actually got in off the list. LizzyM of 68, extremely MCAT heavy. ORM. In-State. Interviewed October.

Got into Tech off the alternate list last week. I've decided to take it over the school I'm currently committed to.

Just thought you guys would appreciate knowing about someone who actually got in off the list. LizzyM of 68, extremely MCAT heavy. ORM. In-State. Interviewed October.
That is so Awesome!!! Congratulations! I wonder if you're one of the 5 that have gotten off the list so far that Aspiring Aggie Dr. was referring too. So did they just send you an email?

What were your actual stats if you dont mind me asking? and are you a first time or reapplicant? Thanks!

Reapplicant with an extra year of published clinical research. 3.05 sGPA 38 MCAT. I was committed to UT Rio Grande up until the acceptance - was persuaded by 99.99% of the attendings and residents I work with to choose Tech despite giving up awesome financial stability and riches sigh.

Confident I made a good decision, though :)

Reapplicant with an extra year of published clinical research. 3.05 sGPA 38 MCAT. I was committed to UT Rio Grande up until the acceptance - was persuaded by 99.99% of the attendings and residents I work with to choose Tech despite giving up awesome financial stability and riches sigh.

Congratulations times 1000!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Whoa, how'd you get such a high MCAT despite the low GPA? Were you at a school known for massive grade deflation or something?

Whoa, how'd you get such a high MCAT despite the low GPA? Were you at a school known for massive grade deflation or something?

That yes, haha. But I also had a long struggle with a very extenuating personal circumstance that affected my grades. I knew I had no choice but to kill the MCAT to make up for it if I'd ever get an MD after my name. The waitlist tree bore no fruit for me the first time I applied, so I got a few pubs in before trying again.

That is so Awesome!!! Congratulations! I wonder if you're one of the 5 that have gotten off the list so far that Aspiring Aggie Dr. was referring too. So did they just send you an email?

Congratulations times 1000!

Thanks guys! And yes, I got an unexpected email that dinged on my phone in the middle of a meeting. I was settled in on UTRGV for the longest time, and I took so long to decide it was almost disrespectful :/ but both UTRGV and Tech were very patient with me.

Fingers crossed for some good news from Tech in the coming days!

Fingers crossed for some good news from Tech in the coming days!
Just some motivation/optimism, I sat next to somebody at graduation here at Tech last Friday who told me she knew somebody last year who got in off the waitlist at the end of May. I've been playing that conversation back in my head nonstop to try to keep cautiously optimistic!

Just withdrew my (in-state) acceptance hopefully one of you gets notified soon

Got into tech off the waitlist 30 mins ago.

I called the admissions office; offers from the alternate list take time and consideration since it is not a ranked list. I've noticed it takes about a week for movement to occur once someone has withdrew acceptance because the committee has to meet and review all applications over again. Everyone keep your hopes up! There is still movement they said

Are we assuming that "If you have not received any correspondence by the end of May, you may contact the Office of Admissions for information as to your status" means officially denied? Trying to get a feel of how long waitlist movement continues and if I need to go ahead and reapply.

Are we assuming that "If you have not received any correspondence by the end of May, you may contact the Office of Admissions for information as to your status" means officially denied? Trying to get a feel of how long waitlist movement continues and if I need to go ahead and reapply.
No bc you can hear from them up until school starts. And you should probably go ahead and reapply regardless of the list..

513, 3.57 cum, 3.6 sci

So what is all this about the June 1st deadline? What is the deadline for?
June 1st is when all Texas applicants must hold only one acceptance at a Texas Medical School. May 1st was the deadline for non-Texas medical schools. Texas likes to be special ;) and in-state applicant waitlist movement is expected right now due to this