2015-2016 Texas Tech University - Lubbock Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ismet

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
1. As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2.

Areas of interest:
Interested in the F-MAT (Family Medicine Accelerated Track)
Interested in practicing in an underserved area
Interested in rural health
Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health
Other

2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1.

3. Have you experienced any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)?

4. If so, please explain your circumstance:

5. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?

6. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)

7. (Optional) If you are applying to the MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, JD/MD or FMAT program(s), please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)

8. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less).

9. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
9a. If so, what town or county did you reside in or what other factors would you cite?

10. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
10b. If so, what was the name of the program and where was this program hosted (sponsoring school)?

11. Are you applying to FMAT?
11a. Marital Status:
11b. Town and State(s) you lived in from birth to age 18:
11c. Are you a current student of TTUHSC SOM?
11d. What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program (300 words or less)?
11e. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program (300 words or less)?
11f. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties (300 words or less)?

Good luck to everyone applying! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe secondaries are now by invite only - hopefully I receive one myself.

@texan2414, I think the secondary is now sent to you through email soon after your primary has been submitted. I'm pretty sure it was the same last year. I don't think they screen, though. Does anyone else know for sure?

My TMDSAS app was transmitted yesterday and I haven't gotten a link yet, but I think it can take a couple weeks, from what I was told by a previous applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
@texan2414, I think the secondary is now sent to you through email soon after your primary has been submitted. I'm pretty sure it was the same last year. I don't think they screen, though. Does anyone else know for sure?

My TMDSAS app was transmitted yesterday and I haven't gotten a link yet, but I think it can take a couple weeks, from what I was told by a previous applicant.
Thanks for letting me know. Do update us when you receive your secondary.

Can confirm. I submitted TMDSAS last May and received TT Lubbock's secondary application email 5 days later, and TTEP's secondary email 8 days later.

Can confirm. I submitted TMDSAS last May and received TT Lubbock's secondary application email 5 days later, and TTEP's secondary email 8 days later.
Thanks for confirming.

FYI this school has a 4 year MD-MBA program, which is one of the few four year ones out there.

Finishing up 1st year over here, so lay on any questions you've got.
Can you talk a little bit about TTU Lubbock's curriculum? Half-days / full days? Grading and ranking?
When it comes for 3rd & 4th year clerkships, what nearby locations are available for rotations? Can students make special assignments to train at Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, other cities, etc.

Also, if there was one thing (or many) that you wish you had known prior to starting MS1, what would it be?
Thanks,

Can you talk a little bit about TTU Lubbock's curriculum? Half-days / full days? Grading and ranking?
When it comes for 3rd & 4th year clerkships, what nearby locations are available for rotations? Can students make special assignments to train at Dallas, Houston, San Antonio, other cities, etc.

Also, if there was one thing (or many) that you wish you had known prior to starting MS1, what would it be?
Thanks,
It's essentially all half days.

Besides anatomy (first block of first year), where you'll have lab and lecture pretty much all day, it's only morning classes, which can vary a little but are generally 8-12 or 9-12. Second year is (to the best of my knowledge) the same, but in the afternoon (so 1-4ish). Class (for the most part) isn't mandatory either, and they usually get lecture videos uploaded same day or next day. There will be occasional afternoon things, about once or twice a month, that are required.

Grading is Honors/High Pass/Pass, with point equivalents at 91/87/70. I'm pretty sure we're ranked, but I don't know the specifics.

Before you start classes, you're assigned to one of four campuses: Lubbock-UMC, Lubbock-Covenant (my class will be the first to rotate here), Amarillo, or Odessa/Midland. You can appeal your assignment at the start of second year, if you don't like it or if life circumstances change. At each one you only work in the one hospital (two for Odessa/Midland), as far as I know. You're also able to set up away rotations for fourth year.

Things I wish I had known...I can't really think of anything; as long as you do your homework and come in prepared to work hard, you should be in good shape. Getting into med school is the real challenge, once you're in, you're pretty much set. I would like to remind y'all that there's no reason to pre-study, though!

Reactions: 3 users
Oh, thought of something, but note that this does not contradict my last sentence!

The first two weeks or so of anatomy will be terrifying. No matter how well you've done in school before, this will be an entirely different experience, it will be tiring and frustrating, and you'll wonder if they made a mistake by letting you in. You will survive! And soon enough you'll figure out how you need to study and absorb the material, and then you'll be golden.

Reactions: 3 users
@Chillbo Baggins, can you discuss how campus assignments are determined? And since you said it happens before we start classes, does that mean we wouldn't know our campus assignments until we committed to TTU Lubbock?

I'd also love to hear what made you say, "This is the school for me!"

@Chillbo Baggins, can you discuss how campus assignments are determined? And since you said it happens before we start classes, does that mean we wouldn't know our campus assignments until we committed to TTU Lubbock?

I'd also love to hear what made you say, "This is the school for me!"
Yeah, so after you accept the offer and you get your acceptance packet (in April sometime), there's a campus preference form that you fill out. You rank the campuses in your order of preference, and then can write it any justification you have for either your top pick or your entire rankings. Generally people with families or ties to Lubbock will get priority in staying there for third and fourth years.

I'll be honest, I had UTSW ranked #1 and Tech #2, though in retrospect I'm much happier I'm here. Besides that Lubbock is so far from everything, I really like the town much more than I would have being in Dallas or Houston or something (I'm definitely a smaller-town kind of guy). You just get a feel for each school when you interview, and I felt the most at home when I went to Tech.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Chillbo! Good info. I've heard "the feels" as a reason for Tech before, and it's always good to hear it again. Seems like you have a great environment there!

Applying from out of state!!
It's tough, but if you can get it, it's worth it!

Thanks Chillbo! Good info. I've heard "the feels" as a reason for Tech before, and it's always good to hear it again. Seems like you have a great environment there!
That's the advice I would tell anyone: go where you feel you belong and would perform your best.

Received the secondary today,

1. As a medical school that is focused on primary care with some emphasis on rural health, we are interested in the areas our applicants are considering of practicing. Please indicate the area(s) of medicine you are interested in and briefly describe your significant activities for each respective interest. Please list them individually in a bulleted format in the text box provided below. If you are interested in something other than primary care, please indicate your interest in the OTHER category. Also, all applicants must answer Question #2.

Areas of interest: (check the ones of interest)
Interested in the F-MAT (Family Medicine Accelerated Track)
Interested in practicing in an underserved area
Interested in rural health
Medical Research
Medical Academics
Primary Care
Border Health
Public Health

2. List your activities (completed, current or planned) related to the selections made in question #1. (no character limit from what I can tell)

Supplemental Information
1. Have you experienced any academic road bumps in your academic career (low academic performance, dropping, retaking, or failing courses, etc.)? If so, please explain your circumstance.
2. What do you like or dislike most about the area you are from; your hometown (500 words or less)?
3. In 500 words or less please describe what you would see as the "ideal" practice for you. (where, type of practice --- clinic, hospital, both, specialty, who would be your patients, etc.)
4. (Optional) If you are applying to the MD/MBA, MD/MPH, MD/PhD, JD/MD or FMAT program(s), please briefly describe your motivation to pursue this program and any other pertinent information. (e.g. research interests, steps taken to prepare yourself)
5. Please tell us about your favorite recreational/leisure activities (500 words or less).

+1 on the secondary. There are a few questions that, if you answer yes, ask you to elaborate. @lsmet has those and should be posting them soon, but I'll post here to add to @Yellow_Elephant's post in case anyone wants to get started (my numbering is a little different, hope that doesn't cause confusion):
9. Do you consider yourself from West Texas or as having West Texas ties?
9a. If so, what town or county did you reside in or what other factors would you cite?

10. Have you participated in any special programs offered by a medical school, to help prepare yourself for medical school and a career in medicine?
10b. If so, what was the name of the program and where was this program hosted (sponsoring school)?

11. Are you applying to FMAT?
11a. Marital Status:
11b. Town and State(s) you lived in from birth to age 18:
11c. Are you a current student of TTUHSC SOM?
11d. What motivates you to participate in the FMAT program (300 words or less)?
11e. What experiences have you had that would prepare you for this intensive program (300 words or less)?
11f. What, in your opinion, distinguishes Family Medicine from other medical specialties (300 words or less)?

+1 on the secondary, too! @SweetCaroline7 looks like we both completed at the same time :)

@Chlorini, I think we did! Now let's hope we get interview invites :)!

Getting the secondary email was mind-blowing. I probably need to calm down since they don't even screen and all I had to do was submit my primary and wait :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How long does it take to get this secondary? I got El Paso and UNT one day after my app was transmitted.

Does anyone have the "Application Complete" check mark yet?

i got the application complete check mark and an email confirmation last week. i submitted TMDSAS on May 1 and the secondary on May 14 (same day I received the email confirmation). you should be fine as long as TMDSAS received your letters!

@aggiehopeful, thanks for the response! In an attempt to remain anonymous I will leave it at, "Sometimes, it is worth a phone call." A note to other applicants, as well. If something doesn't seem right, call!

@SweetCaroline7

My check mark showed up right when I paid and submitted the secondary.

I am currently listed as complete with the check mark.

As an aside, is this the page where our status will change? The words in the notes section?

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the secondary after you have submitted the primary application? I plan on doing the early decision program and will not submit my primary application until I get my MCAT scores on july 21st. Thanks

It took three business days after I submitted.

I submitted 5/13, transmitted 5/14, and received the secondary on 5/18 (5/16 and 5/17 were the weekend).

Does anyone know how long it takes to get the secondary after you have submitted the primary application? I plan on doing the early decision program and will not submit my primary application until I get my MCAT scores on july 21st. Thanks

If you submit July 21, it might take a month to get it verified, which will put you at the end of August to get the secondary. Especially for Early Decision, that is very late.

It took three business days after I submitted.

I submitted 5/13, transmitted 5/14, and received the secondary on 5/18 (5/16 and 5/17 were the weekend).
I think you applied to TCOM also right? How long did it take for you to get your secondary from there?
If you submit July 21, it might take a month to get it verified, which will put you at the end of August to get the secondary. Especially for Early Decision, that is very late.
Is it because it is late July or it will always take a month? Ya August 1st is the deadline...

Is it because it is late July or it will always take a month? Ya August 1st is the deadline...

Both. If you app is ready, go ahead and submit so that your application can be verified. July is late of Early Decision anyways though.

Edit: And go ahead and have your secondary questions ready to submit right when you receive the invitation too.

Both. If you app is ready, go ahead and submit so that your application can be verified. July is late of Early Decision anyways though.

Edit: And go ahead and have your secondary questions ready to submit right when you receive the invitation too.
I actually want to shadow couple doctors after I am done with my mcat for two weeks to put on my application or I would have submitted without my mcat score. After I submit my primary then I can't change the extracurricular activities? If it's late to apply for early decision at the end of July should I just forget it?

I think you applied to TCOM also right? How long did it take for you to get your secondary from there?

TCOM has their secondary available online already.

Their portal access, which is where you check your status, comes a few days after you transmit.

I actually want to shadow couple doctors after I am done with my mcat for two weeks to put on my application or I would have submitted without my mcat score. After I submit my primary then I can't change the extracurricular activities? If it's late to apply for early decision at the end of July should I just forget it?

You can't change the activities, but TMDSAS has a "Planned Activities" section. You could consider putting it there. I had one new activity there (one that I have never done before/is not a continuation of a current activity) because it is significant. I don't think adcoms will give a planned activity as much weight as a completed one, but if this new shadowing experience is adding to your completed shadowing/clinical hours, then I think that would be a fine place to put it and would allow you to submit now.

You can't change the activities, but TMDSAS has a "Planned Activities" section. You could consider putting it there. I had one new activity there (one that I have never done before/is not a continuation of a current activity) because it is significant. I don't think adcoms will give a planned activity as much weight as a completed one, but if this new shadowing experience is adding to your completed shadowing/clinical hours, then I think that would be a fine place to put it and would allow you to submit now.

Ya I was thinking about that, but I know medical schools would look at completed activities over. I am going to wait two weeks and try to do a two week 40 hour shadowing experience with couple different doctors to add my previous activities.

Why are you wanting to apply early decision? I think that regardless, your timeline is off for early decision anywhere, but that's just my opinion. As for your EC question, sweetcaroline answered it best.

Why are you wanting to apply early decision? I think that regardless, your timeline is off for early decision anywhere, but that's just my opinion. As for your EC question, sweetcaroline answered it best.
Save money, time, and staying close to my family. The schools with EDP have my closest stats. will show that I am committed to the school

Save money, time, and staying close to my family. The schools with EDP have my closest stats. will show that I am committed to the school

The TMDSAS application is a flat fee of I think $140. So applying to all the Texas schools costs the same as applying to one. And only A&M, Tech Lubbock, Tech El Paso have secondaries that cost money, which I think the total is a little more than the flat TMDSAS fee, so in the broad spectrum of things, you're not saving that much money by only applying Early Decision to Lubbock. And for staying close to home wise, if you're in Texas you're pretty close to home regardless of where you live.

They may be close to your stats GPA wise, but the biggest question mark right now if your MCAT because 1) you haven't taken it yet, and 2) you don't know the new scores they will consider. Based on what all you have said, I think your best bet is just applying to all of them seeing that your app is going to be complete late anyways.

The TMDSAS application is a flat fee of I think $140. So applying to all the Texas schools costs the same as applying to one. And only A&M, Tech Lubbock, Tech El Paso have secondaries that cost money, which I think the total is a little more than the flat TMDSAS fee, so in the broad spectrum of things, you're not saving that much money by only applying Early Decision to Lubbock. And for staying close to home wise, if you're in Texas you're pretty close to home regardless of where you live.

They may be close to your stats GPA wise, but the biggest question mark right now if your MCAT because 1) you haven't taken it yet, and 2) you don't know the new scores they will consider. Based on what all you have said, I think your best bet is just applying to all of them seeing that your app is going to be complete late anyways.

I definitely want to second BGZ's comments. By applying relatively late for Texas, you'll already be at a disadvantage and yet you'll still be putting all your eggs in one basket. Much better to apply to every TX school (except Baylor), fork over the extra $200 bucks for the schools that actually require secondary fees, and lower your risk a bit. If you don't happen to get early decision at either school, it would likely be way too late to then scramble and apply to the other 6.

Reactions: 2 users

After reading your post, I think I will now back out of the EDP. I was just hoping it would give me an extra boost at a school because they would think I am committed only to them. I am going to send my primary application after two weeks of taking the MCAT in order to add the shadowing hours of different doctors to help me out and I will have my secondaries done asap. Thanks for the advice

After reading your post, I think I will now back out of the EDP. I was just hoping it would give me an extra boost at a school because they would think I am committed only to them. I am going to send my primary application after two weeks of taking the MCAT in order to add the shadowing hours of different doctors to help me out and I will have my secondaries done asap. Thanks for the advice

Submitting late June is still a little on the late side. Just FYI

You can use secondaries to really emphasize your passion for those two programs and express your commitment, but applying at 8 rather than 2 should significantly increase your chances.

Submitting late June is still a little on the late side. Just FYI
Ya I know but I won't get my mcat score until July 21. I can almost guarantee they will not look at my application without the score and if they do, they won't take it seriously.

Was it confirmed or not if this school screens applicants before sending secondary? I was complete in TMDSAS 5/19, but just now received the secondary(5/27). I received TCOM and EL-PASO secondaries 1-2 days after submitting TMDAS, so I'm not too sure what to make of it.

I don't want to throw away $50 if they don't screen.

Was it confirmed or not if this school screens applicants before sending secondary? I was complete in TMDSAS 5/19, but just now received the secondary(5/27). I received TCOM and EL-PASO secondaries 1-2 days after submitting TMDAS, so I'm not too sure what to make of it.

I don't want to throw away $50 if they don't screen.

I don't think any Texas schools pre-screen. Why do you view it as "wasting" $50?

I don't think any Texas schools pre-screen. Why do you view it as "wasting" $50?

My sGPA is 3.4 and cGPA is 3.3, MCAT 27-29 range ...was just looking at MSAR and trying to apply smart.

My sGPA is 3.4 and cGPA is 3.3, MCAT 27-29 range ...was just looking at MSAR and trying to apply smart.

Ah I see. But you already submitted El Paso. How is that not a waste?

Ah I see. But you already submitted El Paso. How is that not a waste?
I had some strong ties near the el paso . They are also a bit lower stats wise in regards to MCAT.

I had some strong ties near the el paso . They are also a bit lower stats wise in regards to MCAT.

Your strong ties to West Texas might Be beneficial to Lubbock too, that's one of the questions they ask. But besides that I agree with you, I don't think you should pay the $50. Unless you're URM.