2015-2016 University of Cincinnati Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LOL I was just filling out the financial aid application, and one of the questions is: "Name of spouse or prospective spouse". Literally laughed out loud at "prospective spouse".

Edit: okay actually I need help with this. Is there a certain parental income level where it becomes pointless to apply for institutional aid?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
"Your application has been denied"

Dayummmmmm gurl. I wasn't that crazy about you either!

Reactions: 4 users
"We regret to inform you that your application to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine has been denied and subsequently thrown away.

Because we received applications from a large number of candidates much more qualified than you, this decision was an easy one. Frankly, we would have rejected you sooner, but we mixed up your application with someone else. Her name is Kathrine Davis. Do you know her? She's going to be a hell of a doctor.

Since we didn't select you, you should see this as a reflection on our belief of your ability to practice medicine. Perhaps you should be a vet. So, good luck with that.

Sincerely,
Office Intern III"

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
"We regret to inform you that your application to the University of Cincinnati College of Medicine has been denied and subsequently thrown away.

Because we received applications from a large number of candidates much more qualified than you, this decision was an easy one. Frankly, we would have rejected you sooner, but we mixed up your application with someone else. Her name is Kathrine Davis. Do you know her? She's going to be a hell of a doctor.

Since we didn't select you, you should see this as a reflection on our belief of your ability to practice medicine. Perhaps you should be a vet. So, good luck with that.

Sincerely,
Office Intern III"
At least it's not Kim Davis

@CyrilFiggis I AM DYING.

I should be a marketing consultant for some of these admissions offices. They need help.
I actually liked the bluntness of this. I hate when they pussyfoot around it:

"I am sorry to inform you that the Committee on Admissions has decided not to advance your application for 2016."
"Unfortunately, you will not be extended an interview invitation for the 2015-2016 application cycle."
"It is with regret that I must inform you that we are unable to take any further action on your application."
"We regret to inform you that your application will not be further considered."
" Unfortunately, I am writing to tell you that you have not been chosen to interview this year. I still hope that your desire to be of service will be fulfilled."

and my favorite

"It is with great regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away."

I have about 40 more of these. I might start a thread just to share the rejection letters.

Reactions: 1 users
Got the "denied" email just now as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Interviewed in January and went to check the portal and it said my password is expired. Is this normal? I read people's pws expiring after acceptance, but wondering now how I'll be able to check any change...

Interviewed in January and went to check the portal and it said my password is expired. Is this normal? I read people's pws expiring after acceptance, but wondering now how I'll be able to check any change...

Just follow the instructions to change the password.

Rejected today pre-II :( Growing up in Ohio, this was my dream school that was juuuuust out of reach with a 29 MCAT. I would have loved to continue working with burn research at Cincinnati Shriners or Cincy Childrens. And the fact Cincy is an awesome city is only a plus... Oh well, no time to linger on "what if's," I'm sure I'll hear back from somewhere else soon!

I actually liked the bluntness of this. I hate when they pussyfoot around it:

"I am sorry to inform you that the Committee on Admissions has decided not to advance your application for 2016."
"Unfortunately, you will not be extended an interview invitation for the 2015-2016 application cycle."
"It is with regret that I must inform you that we are unable to take any further action on your application."
"We regret to inform you that your application will not be further considered."
" Unfortunately, I am writing to tell you that you have not been chosen to interview this year. I still hope that your desire to be of service will be fulfilled."

and my favorite

"It is with great regret that I inform you that we will be unable to offer an interview this year. This is a disappointment, as much for those who are responsible for the decision as it may be for you, the candidate who is turned away."

I have about 40 more of these. I might start a thread just to share the rejection letters.
Joining the denied train, but OSU acceptance, so will be moving to Ohio anyway. Good luck to all still in the running

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted!!! I interviewed on 1/6

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Didn't get an email about my status update, but checked the portal...and alternate list :(. Interviewed on 1/6

Withdrew my acceptance. Really no reason to wait till 4/30. I hope one of you on the alternate list gets it. Good luck to all still waiting!

Reactions: 1 users
Didn't get an email about my status update, but checked the portal...and alternate list :(. Interviewed on 1/6
The same for me. Also interviewed on 1/6...fingers crossed for the next few months!

If there are any students in this thread, when do you take weekly exams during the first semester at UC? Is it Monday's or Friday's? Also, how do you feel about weekly exams.

Second look is Friday, April 1st! Just got a phone call inviting me to it.

Reactions: 2 users
Second look is Friday, April 1st! Just got a phone call inviting me to it.

When did you interview/get accepted? I haven't received that call, but I also just got accepted yesterday. Just trying to get a sense of the timeline.

If there are any students in this thread, when do you take weekly exams during the first semester at UC? Is it Monday's or Friday's? Also, how do you feel about weekly exams.
We have weekly exams on Mondays during the first semester, with the exception of the First Responder course (no real exams) and the Monday after an End of Block (EOB) exam--this is your "free weekend". The week of EOB we don't have classes so it leaves plenty of time to prepare. Basically the first semester after First Responder is 3 weeks of Physician and Society with weekly exams (nice way to ease you into the routine), then two 6 week fundamental blocks where the EOB week makes the final 7th week of each Fundamental course. After winter break we start having exams every 2 weeks, still on Mondays and then EOB exams at the end of the week like usual.

Personally, I really liked the weekly exam format. It helps you stay on top of the material while you are still finding your routine. I never had a problem with not having a free weekend during fundamentals. If I needed to go out of town/home for the weekend, I had plenty of time to keep up during the week to do well on exams, even if I didn't get a lot of time to study over that particular weekend. Then on Mondays after exams, classmates tend to catch up, have a game night, or grab some margaritas, which I think is plenty of time to get your fun in before the cycle starts again.

When did you interview/get accepted? I haven't received that call, but I also just got accepted yesterday. Just trying to get a sense of the timeline.

I interviewed 9/30 and was accepted 10/27.

We have weekly exams on Mondays during the first semester, with the exception of the First Responder course (no real exams) and the Monday after an End of Block (EOB) exam--this is your "free weekend". The week of EOB we don't have classes so it leaves plenty of time to prepare. Basically the first semester after First Responder is 3 weeks of Physician and Society with weekly exams (nice way to ease you into the routine), then two 6 week fundamental blocks where the EOB week makes the final 7th week of each Fundamental course. After winter break we start having exams every 2 weeks, still on Mondays and then EOB exams at the end of the week like usual.

Personally, I really liked the weekly exam format. It helps you stay on top of the material while you are still finding your routine. I never had a problem with not having a free weekend during fundamentals. If I needed to go out of town/home for the weekend, I had plenty of time to keep up during the week to do well on exams, even if I didn't get a lot of time to study over that particular weekend. Then on Mondays after exams, classmates tend to catch up, have a game night, or grab some margaritas, which I think is plenty of time to get your fun in before the cycle starts again.

What year are you? Also how is the video streaming quality? Finally, as a med student, are you all given access to previous year's recorded lectures? (like if I wanted to watch 2015 letures for this upcoming school year)

Additionally, how do you like the social environment of UC? Is the class close knit or more isolated? How about things to do?

Haha I know I'm firing off questions, but I've been accepted to multiple schools and I'm trying to make the best decision.

What year are you? Also how is the video streaming quality? Finally, as a med student, are you all given access to previous year's recorded lectures? (like if I wanted to watch 2015 letures for this upcoming school year)

Additionally, how do you like the social environment of UC? Is the class close knit or more isolated? How about things to do?

Haha I know I'm firing off questions, but I've been accepted to multiple schools and I'm trying to make the best decision.

M1, I think video streaming quality is great. We switched systems at the beginning of the year and since then they have gotten a lot faster at uploading and I enjoy picking any speed I want rather than previous years where you only had 1x, 1.4x, 1.6x or 2x. Related to that note, we have access to last years recorded lectures via Mediasite archive where you only need the weblink, but the new system Echo360 makes you log in, so I'm not sure how they will handle access to previous year material for the upcoming class, but at the very least you would have 2014 content available, which for fundamentals is basically the same year to year.

My impression is that each class is more close knit than the average school. Sure we have some individuals that don't participate much and most of us have a more nuclear group that we hang out with regularly, but for the most part everyone gets along well and a huge majority will come out for social events and parties. A huge reason for me why I chose UCCOM was the close family-like feeling I got watching students when I interviewed and came to second look. Everyone seems really happy here and we have a great collaborative environment.

There's a ton to do in Cincinnati. Food and craft beer scene is large, lots of breweries to check out, music events, theater, art, comedy shows, markets (international too), street festivals, lots of sports bars downtown, trivia, plenty of nature and variety of sporting activities especially if you don't mind driving 20-30 minutes, and many neighborhoods which each have their own niche. I really think no matter what your interests are, you will be able to find it here.

M1, I think video streaming quality is great. We switched systems at the beginning of the year and since then they have gotten a lot faster at uploading and I enjoy picking any speed I want rather than previous years where you only had 1x, 1.4x, 1.6x or 2x. Related to that note, we have access to last years recorded lectures via Mediasite archive where you only need the weblink, but the new system Echo360 makes you log in, so I'm not sure how they will handle access to previous year material for the upcoming class, but at the very least you would have 2014 content available, which for fundamentals is basically the same year to year.

My impression is that each class is more close knit than the average school. Sure we have some individuals that don't participate much and most of us have a more nuclear group that we hang out with regularly, but for the most part everyone gets along well and a huge majority will come out for social events and parties. A huge reason for me why I chose UCCOM was the close family-like feeling I got watching students when I interviewed and came to second look. Everyone seems really happy here and we have a great collaborative environment.

There's a ton to do in Cincinnati. Food and craft beer scene is large, lots of breweries to check out, music events, theater, art, comedy shows, markets (international too), street festivals, lots of sports bars downtown, trivia, plenty of nature and variety of sporting activities especially if you don't mind driving 20-30 minutes, and many neighborhoods which each have their own niche. I really think no matter what your interests are, you will be able to find it here.

That sounds great! I'm gonna guess UC does small pbl-like activities too? I prefer a school that is more lecture based rather than heavy PBL and that seems to be the case with Cinci. Also, how accessible do you find your professors to be?

That sounds great! I'm gonna guess UC does small pbl-like activities too? I prefer a school that is more lecture based rather than heavy PBL and that seems to be the case with Cinci. Also, how accessible do you find your professors to be?

Professors are extremely accessible. Never had a problem getting a question answered so far. Student Affairs and other admins are also great and very responsive for any other problem I come across.

As far as PBL, we have a mixture of content integration sessions, class inclusive learning sessions, small group problem solving sessions followed by large class discussion/presentation, and then there is utilization of PRS during lectures by professors. There is usually only of these sessions per week if that.

Most of our content comes through traditional lecture with some additional independent learning activities. These PBL type sessions are generally only for reinforcement. Only content integration and small/large group sessions are mandatory. We also have a weekly case to work through related to the current material for one hour of learning community.

Professors are extremely accessible. Never had a problem getting a question answered so far. Student Affairs and other admins are also great and very responsive for any other problem I come across.

As far as PBL, we have a mixture of content integration sessions, class inclusive learning sessions, small group problem solving sessions followed by large class discussion/presentation, and then there is utilization of PRS during lectures by professors. There is usually only of these sessions per week if that.

Most of our content comes through traditional lecture with some additional independent learning activities. These PBL type sessions are generally only for reinforcement. Only content integration and small/large group sessions are mandatory. We also have a weekly case to work through related to the current material for one hour of learning community.

Thank you for taking the time to answer! I just have one last question. How much time do you all get during year two to prepare for Step 1?

also when does Cinci give out merit aid typically? Thanks for all your help and the detailed info!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for taking the time to answer! I just have one last question. How much time do you all get during year two to prepare for Step 1?

After a 4 week multisystems block in April of M2 (which you could consider review) you get 4-6 weeks of dedicated study time depending on when you are taking Step 1.

also when does Cinci give out merit aid typically? Thanks for all your help and the detailed info!

I can't speak to merit aid timeline in your next question. It didn't apply to me and the application timeline at UCCOM was moved up a bit this year with the final interviews occurring in January, so it may be different this year than last. I presume if you called they could give you an idea of when to expect it.

Any incoming students who are looking for housing: I am searching for some reasonable neighbors next year to share the split unit I currently live in. Trying to avoid having undergrad neighbors again. Message me if you are at all interested (4 bedroom unit). I think the unit is a great deal and love the landlord.

Any chance that the interviewees from 4 weeks ago will hear back today?

Any chance that the interviewees from 4 weeks ago will hear back today?

I would think there's a good chance. We were told at our 1/29 interview that we would hear for sure around 4 weeks!

Doing interview reviews: Not a fan of MMI. Beautiful buildings. Prestigious Pediatric hospital. Great quality of education. The Starbucks was tucked away in one of the hospitals and I was not allowed entry without some keycard while most hospitals in America allow access to food and coffee for general public?? (I drink lots of coffee, specifically Starbucks). They were very vague about end time, which left me with 7 hours to waste in the airport since I was in the 7:30 AM group. Cincinnati as a city was kind of Ehhh. This is the most expensive city in the country to book a flight to.

Grade: C
They were remodeling the Starbucks! It is open again! Also, I have never had an issue getting to the cafeteria without using my keycard. :/ Sorry you had a bad experience.

They let you know that you've been awarded merit aid through a phone call. I have no idea how many people they provide merit scholarships for or whether or not more can be expected in the future. However, I do know Cincinnati had already begun awarding merit scholarships by December.

They let you know that you've been awarded merit aid through a phone call. I have no idea how many people they provide merit scholarships for or whether or not more can be expected in the future. However, I do know Cincinnati had already begun awarding merit scholarships by December.

So I assume if I interviewed in September and was accepted in October I would've heard already. Oh well, didn't expect anything anyway Haha.

Future applicant here....would those that have been accepted care to post their GPAs and MCAT scores? Thanks :)

Future applicant here....would those that have been accepted care to post their GPAs and MCAT scores? Thanks :)
MSAR is great resource for information. IS. Lizzy 73-77. Lots of research and EC. Withdrew acceptance however.

cGPA 3.65, sGPA 3.60, 514 MCAT (balanced), OOS but strong ties to Ohio, strong EC's and research.

3.88, 516, OOS. Minimal research, lots of student organization leadership

cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.8, MCAT: 37, IS. No research, but lots of leadership, tutoring, and clinical experience