2015-2016 University of Louisville Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone get contacted for the Criminal Background Check yet? or is it only next semester?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
IS, 3.79 GPA, 26 MCAT with volunteering and clinical experience (I work in a hospital). I completed my secondary sometime in late September (can't confirm exact date right now) and I've yet to hear anything about an II. I'm a straight shooter so just tell me how it is.. Should I be worried? Thanks.

IS, 3.79 GPA, 26 MCAT with volunteering and clinical experience (I work in a hospital). I completed my secondary sometime in late September (can't confirm exact date right now) and I've yet to hear anything about an II. I'm a straight shooter so just tell me how it is.. Should I be worried? Thanks.

Your GPA is fine but with your MCAT I would be surprised if you get admitted to an MD program even after an II. I would consider retaking the MCAT if I were you and resubmitting next cycle in June

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is fine but with your MCAT I would be surprised if you get admitted to an MD program even after an II. I would consider retaking the MCAT if I were you and resubmitting next cycle in June
Agreed!

Anyone get contacted for the Criminal Background Check yet? or is it only next semester?

Not yet. I think they don't need the checks done until Spring 2016, so they aren't in a hurry at this time. Anyone know what payment methods they'll accept?

Also, if we've graduated from UofL with a Bachelors or Masters, do we still need to resend official transcripts? I got an email saying I'd have to send updated scripts, but I recall somewhere in the FAQ I got with the acceptance offer that they don't require this of UofL grads.

I got an II for Jan. 5th. My MCAT is also a 26 but my GPA is 4.0 though. I think if you are IS you still have a chance for an II later.

I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here at all....I wish I had been given an honest opinion before my first cycle, but gpa>3.7 MCAT >30 is the gold standard for the majority cutoff these days for acceptance to MD programs.

That being said,
Stats below this are still accepted and every year there are exceptions to this rule.

I say this because, IF you end up being rejected in the majority that fall within this category,

study study study and retake the MCAT! Do not give up, persistence is a valuable attribute to your candidacy as long as you improve your application in some substantial form or fashion the next cycle

raw stats for your viewing
https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Reactions: 1 users
Last edited:
I'm not trying to be a debbie downer here at all....I wish I had been given an honest opinion before my first cycle, but gpa>3.7 MCAT >30 is the gold standard for the majority cutoff these days for acceptance to MD programs.

That being said,
Stats below this are still accepted and every year there are exceptions to this rule.

I say this because, IF you end up being rejected in the majority that fall within this category,

study study study and retake the MCAT! Do not give up, persistence is a valuable attribute to your candidacy as long as you improve your application in some substantial form or fashion the next cycle

https://www.aamc.org/data/facts/app...mcat-gpa-grid-by-selected-race-ethnicity.html

Just to follow up on this.....

If you are a traditional applicant either applying during your senior year or after, I would also highly recommend taking some time off and gaining real-world experience - working, maybe a master's degree, traveling, etc. Schools want diverse and world-ready candidates. And don't worry about the delay, you're already planning on sacrificing the next decade of your life to school, so enjoy the freedom of your early 20s.

That being said,

It isn't being a Debbie downer, it's being "real". I appreciate the responses.

any oos movement recently?

Anyone willing to talk about their interview experience? I'm interviewing relatively soon and want to get your thoughts. Thanks so much guys! :) I have only been to schools with MMIs

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone willing to talk about their interview experience? I'm interviewing relatively soon and want to get your thoughts. Thanks so much guys! :) I have only been to schools with MMIs

They were super laid back and conversational for me. Haha not nearly as intense as an MMI. You get 2 interviews, both around 20ish minutes. They can take them just about anywhere. One guy I was with said his interviewer asked him about his opinions on Kim Davis. Another said they talked about their mutual love of hiking for half of it. Basically they just want to see if you can carry on a conversation. As for the "exercise" at the end of the day, it's nothing you can plan for. It's just to make sure you play well with others! They flat out tell you that the exercise won't make or break you application. Hope that helps and good luck!

Reactions: 2 users

The two interviews were straightforward and relaxed. Typical questions like "Why medicine? What speciality are you interested and why? Why UofL?" Both of my interviews transitioned from typical questioning to more intellectual conversations about the current state of medical education and life as a medical student & physician. The faculty and students were all friendly so talking to them was easy.

I just want to give a little input on how friendly of a place UofL is. I was walking towards the building I was going to, not appearing lost or anything, and a MS1 approached me, introduced himself to me, asked me if I was interviewing that day and walked me over to the building just to have a conversation with me. Cannot say anything more positive about this school.

Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone gotten any decisions lately?

Interviewed last week and just got an email saying put on the candidates for potential Wait List Consideration. It says in the email I won't have a decision by February or March and then they will decide if I will be continued for consideration.

Am I screwed here or am I just going to be put on the Wait List?

The way I understood the explanation of waitlist consideration was that if you're put on that list, you can be reactivated at any time for acceptance. Once the class fills up though then you'll be considered for the waitlist. Certainly better than being rejected! What day did you interview, if you don't mind my asking?

This is a lot like a lot of schools do with 'No Further Action'. It is certainly not a great feeling, but it does not mean all hope is lost. Unfortunately the best you can probably hope for is a high wait list spot, but I have heard occasionally of those individuals offered an acceptance from this status and skipping waitlist entirely. It is very hard to predict right now as the majority of movement happens between March-May

This is a lot like a lot of schools do with 'No Further Action'. It is certainly not a great feeling, but it does not mean all hope is lost. Unfortunately the best you can probably hope for is a high wait list spot, but I have heard occasionally of those individuals offered an acceptance from this status and skipping waitlist entirely. It is very hard to predict right now as the majority of movement happens between March-May

That makes sense. I know it's hard to compare the two but would it have been better to have received a No Decision Email?

That makes sense. I know it's hard to compare the two but would it have been better to have received a No Decision Email?

From what I understand, the no decision email means they just haven't made it to your file yet. So in the sense that "no news is good news" then I guess so. But I think it's better to have some sense of where you stand.

Everyone has their own catch phrases some schools use exactly the same terminology while others are a bit more mysterious.
Essentially, during the application cycle there are three different answers you can get from a school after you interview but before they create their waitlist. (Which usually doesn't happen until the end of April-ish)

Those classifications being:
1- Accepted: congrats you have a seat in next years class and barring some lapse in moral/legal/academic judgement no one can take that away from you
2- No further action/under active consideration/remain under consideration for waitlist: You may or may not be competitive for the school's waitlist and the school is biding its time until an undetermined date after reviewing more applicants who have interviewed to either offer you 1,2 or reject you. This classification is a bit ambiguous but certainly better than outright rejection
3- Rejection: Sorry but you do not fit enough well with the school for admission or you were not competitive for a waitlist spot. Often this decision is a final one and reflects the school's views of you as an applicant indefinitely (yes, like never again) if they could possibly ever see you being admitted in future cycles see 2.
**Although there are always exceptions to these rules don't bank on yourself being one, that is why they are exceptions.

Long story short, schools hold all their cards close to their chest as long as they can, this is a cruel game. Once you are given an acceptance, you have some leverage; if you have multiple acceptances you have even more leverage (its a power shift in the cycle of who controls what).

This is the simple explanation as obviously a lot of factors are at play, and things get more complicated in the high movement period I previously described.
Hope this helps

Interviewed November 12, no decision email November 25, accepted today!!!

to those who were recently accepted, would you care to post / PM your stats...gpa/mcat/in-state or out-of-state? Thanks and congrats !

Interviewed Nov 12, got accepted today!!!!!!!!

to those who were recently accepted, would you care to post / PM your stats...gpa/mcat/in-state or out-of-state? Thanks and congrats !
506 mcat, 90% Bio, 72% psy, 50% verbal, 71% Chem/phys. 3.5 GPA, IS, and crap ton of ECs

It's me again, I just received an interview invite today. Not really sure how to feel about it... Could just be a courtesy since I'm IS? :/

Thanks.

It's me again, I just received an interview invite today. Not really sure how to feel about it... Could just be a courtesy since I'm IS? :/

Thanks.

Something told to me was if you get an interview invite then they believe you are academically qualified. They probably wouldn't give an interview to someone they thought didn't have high enough scores to be successful at the school. That doesn't mean that the MCAT doesn't mean anything now, because they'll still talk about it I'm sure. All this to say, you for sure have a shot if you ace your interview. They wouldn't just give one as a courtesy. So congrats! And good luck!

Last edited:
Something told to me was if you get an interview invite then they believe you are academically qualified. They probably wouldn't give an interview to someone they thought didn't have high enough scores to be successful at the school.

I've also heard this, and no I don't think that you got a sympathy bid. If it makes you feel any better, I got an interview almost immediately at UK and haven't heard anything from UofL since submitting back in late August.

I've also heard this, and no I don't think that you got a sympathy bid. If it makes you feel any better, I got an interview almost immediately at UK and haven't heard anything from UofL since submitting back in late August.

No, but sometimes the interview is almost like a "get to know you this cycle, waitlist you with no intent to admit and remember you for next cycle when your weaknesses (MCAT, gpa, etc.) are addressed"
Not saying you don't have a shot though! Good Luck!! @Lebowski9

In light of what I said above, it is not a bad idea to have a backup plan.

Something told to me was if you get an interview invite then they believe you are academically qualified. They probably wouldn't give an interview to someone they thought didn't have high enough scores to be successful at the school. That doesn't mean that the MCAT doesn't mean anything now, because they'll still talk about it I'm sure. All this to say, you for sure have a shot if you ace your interview. They wouldn't just give one as a courtesy. So congrats! And good luck!
Thanks!
Maybe I can have a streak of luck like Aaron Harrison did in the sweet 16-title game run in 2014. I have to go vomit now ..

What should I expect interview day? How was the medical school and staff? Any advice or tips ?

Last edited:
No, but sometimes the interview is almost like a "get to know you this cycle, waitlist you with no intent to admit and remember you for next cycle when your weaknesses (MCAT, gpa, etc.) are addressed"

Thank you for your continued honest replies, I do appreciate this greatly ! Even though subconsciously this is how I feel all this interview amounts to, I will still approach it with everything I have. Crazier things have happened, right? Thanks !

Thank you for your continued honest replies, I do appreciate this greatly ! Even though subconsciously this is how I feel all this interview amounts to, I will still approach it with everything I have. Crazier things have happened, right? Thanks !

I have a relative that was on a prestigious west coast med school's ADCOM and he said that med schools typically don't discuss MCAT/GPA post interview. However, Ms.Osbourne did mention that the interview was one component of the final admissions decision along with GPA/MCAT/ECs. I'd say you have a shot at an acceptance if you ace the interviews.

I would hope this isn't true. Kind of a big slap in the face to the ~90% of applicants who don't get interviewed, many of whom are highly qualified - regardless of IS or OOS.

That said, getting the II is half the battle, so congrats and good luck!

I have a relative that was on a prestigious west coast med school's ADCOM and he said that med schools typically don't discuss MCAT/GPA post interview. However, Ms.Osbourne did mention that the interview was one component of the final admissions decision along with GPA/MCAT/ECs. I'd say you have a shot at an acceptance if you ace the interviews.

That cannot be a real representation of what goes on post-interview. They have to quantify the results somehow for adcom members who didn't meet you. Most schools create a composite score (almost like LizzyM) that incorporates 'points' from your interview, MCAT, UG, gpa, and ECs+shadowing; then push for a vote to reach a final decision

I would hope this isn't true. Kind of a big slap in the face to the ~90% of applicants who don't get interviewed, many of whom are highly qualified - regardless of IS or OOS.

That said, getting the II is half the battle, so congrats and good luck!

People slip through the cracks for various reasons every year..some due to late apps, some due to statistics, some due to red flags... etc etc.
They (they being the adcom members) have to interview enough people to make a waitlist to cover their a$$es if many people are offered admission then decide not to matriculate.

Unfortunately this is the reality I'm afraid.
Making a convincing case for your fit with a school can go a loooong way, though so I wouldn't underestimate your chances if you get an interview. It atleast means they believe you have a shot (whether before or after you fix any weaknesses on your app I cannot say, I'm not an adcom) BUT I am a reapplicant who got feedback from multiple schools where I was waitlisted last cycle ;)

Anyhow, don't stress over it. Not much in the process you or I or anyone can control

So.. Anyone want to elaborate on the actual interview and what to expect? Lol

II today around 4 p.m. ET.
IS, UK undergrad, 502 MCAT (retake), 3.93 cGPA, lots of shadowing (50o+ hours)
Complete 10/6, interview for 1/14

II today around 4 p.m. ET.
IS, UK undergrad, 502 MCAT (retake), 3.93 cGPA, lots of shadowing (50o+ hours)
Complete 10/6, interview for 1/14
I signed up for the 1/14 interview time as well, 8:45am.

So.. Anyone want to elaborate on the actual interview and what to expect? Lol
I did the morning session. We all went to a room and sat around with other interviewees for a bit then there was a presentation and we got flash drives with info on the admissions process. Then we went to the library where we got called for interviews. There were 2 one-on-one interviews. I don't think they know your grades. They asked me why do you want to be a doctor, tell me about your research, shadowing, etc. It was pretty laid back I didn't feel grilled or anything. After that we all had lunch with the evening group and Med students and we got a pretty casual tour. then we sat in a different room and our groups Of about 4 had to go to a separate room and we had to solve an ethical question in like 30 minutes while being watched by some random person. we had a bunch of info on it and paper and a laptop too. It was a pretty general question I don't think they cared as much about the answer as seeing how you interact with others. Overall a nice experience they just wanna make sure you aren't a creep Lol

Has anyone started a Facebook page or something? I stalked some previous year threads and saw that it was a thing. Also who's going to the pre-orientation second look day? And does anyone know what all that's about?

Has anyone started a Facebook page or something? I stalked some previous year threads and saw that it was a thing. Also who's going to the pre-orientation second look day? And does anyone know what all that's about?

FB page for accepted students: https://www.facebook.com/groups/728426260596151/

Not sure about attending second look yet but most likely if I don't have any other interviews around that weekend.