2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone who interviewed in early October hear back yet?

I feel like we'll be either next week or the next. And that makes me super nervous

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed last monday in sept, just got a waitlist email. kinda bummed since i thought this school was such a perfect fit for me, but trying to stay positive! anyone have advice on getting off the waitlist/what info is best to update the schools on?

EC's are subjective though. I think it just relies on you having learned something from them.

You're a rockstar applicant though, and I can't wait to see where you get in :)

Lol, no I'm not! I'll be so unbelievably grateful to get into EVMS. :xf:

Accepted!! Good luck to everyone still waiting. The wait was painful...

Reactions: 4 users
Accepted!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
rejected yesterday afternoon pre II, complete 8/3, LM 77. good luck to everyone still in it--I enjoyed looking at the brochure they sent me and UofR seems like a great place but alas it would've been tedious getting to upstate NY being OOS so maybe it's for the better

Accepted via phone call this afternoon, and got a follow up email after that! Interviewed the third week of September. Good luck to everyone still waiting!

Reactions: 3 users
Silence since submitting my secondary 7/6. Another week and it'll have been 4 months...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rejected pre-interview, complete 7/24. LizzyM ~66, OOS. Oh well :(

Congrats to everyone who got an II or an acceptance!!

Does anyone know if you can call Rochester and ask them why they rejected you (for rejections that were pre interview)?

Nope they don't.

Actually, this blurb is on their website in the FAQ section:

Why was my application rejected?
If you were not accepted for admission and would like more information, please email the Director of Admissions, Patricia Samuelson,([email protected]) to see how you might strengthen your application for next year.

Actually, this blurb is on their website in the FAQ section:

Why was my application rejected?
If you were not accepted for admission and would like more information, please email the Director of Admissions, Patricia Samuelson,([email protected]) to see how you might strengthen your application for next year.
Hmm interesting. Although that may pertain solely to individuals who were rejected post interview?
If you are right, I'd like to ask her why they didn't give me a chance!! ;)

This may be a little dumb question. But I am curious if med schools can view the list of schools we have applied to from AMCAS app? (the last page which has list of schools we have applied).

This may be a little dumb question. But I am curious if med schools can view the list of schools we have applied to from AMCAS app? (the last page which has list of schools we have applied).

If I remember correctly, medical schools cannot see which other schools you've applied to. They can only see what other acceptances you're holding when the National Acceptance Report comes out in the spring.

After surviving the first wave of purging, I decided to draft and send an update letter to the admissions office. Thanks for the idea and the encouragement @CellPowerhouse !

If I interviewed Oct 2 would it be unreasonable to hope for some news today?

Any idea if they'll be sending out decisions for 10/2-ish people?

Got a waitlist email on 10/28
hansen (dean) said that theyre gonna be conservative with acceptances in the fall and im pretty sure he said that theyre gonna start pulling people off in february

Any idea if they'll be sending out decisions for 10/2-ish people?
i'm sure you'll hear back by the end of the week. i only interviewed a couple days before you.

hansen (dean) said that theyre gonna be conservative with acceptances in the fall and im pretty sure he said that theyre gonna start pulling people off in february
did you hear this at your interview date? i remember them saying they're super conservative early on, more so this year because their waitlist last year barely moved which was a first for them, but they didn't mention when they anticipate pulling names off the waitlist :s

i'm sure you'll hear back by the end of the week. i only interviewed a couple days before you.

did you hear this at your interview date? i remember them saying they're super conservative early on, more so this year because their waitlist last year barely moved which was a first for them, but they didn't mention when they anticipate pulling names off the waitlist :s

Ugh this wait is so long!

ya i heard this last week when i interviewed. theyre gonna be conservative with acceptances until february when they can see where other students have been accepted

Got the acceptance call last week!! (interviewed mid September) Can any current students chime in on whether everyone pays the $50k sticker price for tuition? What are the chances of receiving merit aid? Thanks!

GEEZ I picked the wrong week to leave this thread alone! Radio silence since mid-July for me so I guess I survived the recent round of carnage...?

Reactions: 2 users
For those you submitted pre-interview update letters, how long did it take to get a confirmation reply from admissions? I sent one 2 days ago, and have yet to hear back

nothing as far as decisions this week for early October-ers?

For those you submitted pre-interview update letters, how long did it take to get a confirmation reply from admissions? I sent one 2 days ago, and have yet to hear back
I never heard back...been about 2 weeks

Reactions: 1 users
Just got one today (Wed Nov 4), sent it to them Friday Oct 30. It was pretty short: "Thank you for this updated information – it has been added to your application file."

Heard back from them the same day. Sent the update late last month.

Just to clarify, they send rejections via email? One of the schools I applied to is sending theirs in the mail. It's torture.

Wonder if early October people will be getting calls tomorrow!

If last year's thread is any indication, it looks like they meet/release decisions once a month. So sadly we probably won't hear for three more weeks...

Ohhh. They said 4-6 weeks on interview day, so if we have to wait til the end of the month (~8 weeks), that'll be a bummer haha
Oh well!

Last edited:
Has anyone who has sent in an acceptance deposit received a confirmation email?

Okay, so I'm new to SDN, but I've been complete here since 7/4 with nothing but silence...

Reactions: 3 users