2015-2016 University of Rochester Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You survived the earlier massacre, so count yourself lucky!! Make sure to check your portal too, as I think they inactivate your account once you are rejected. If your portal still works, and shows you are still active, then you continue to wait. Best wishes to you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
You survived the earlier massacre, so count yourself lucky!! Make sure to check your portal too, as I think they inactivate your account once you are rejected. If your portal still works, and shows you are still active, then you continue to wait. Best wishes to you.

Portal is still active, so I guess I 'm still waiting! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
WL. Interviewed in mid Sept. :\ I really like Rochester, and I thought the interview went pretty well. Oh well.

WL. Interviewed in mid Sept. :\ I really like Rochester, and I thought the interview went pretty well. Oh well.

i think theyre gonna WL a lot of people. im guessing only people who had really high stats plus really good interview scores are getting in right away because they want more WL movement than last year

It's clear that Rochester has multiple categories between "interview" and "reject". Some people are retained until the end of the application season, but not rejected until the end. These people are most likely those Rochester probably deems fit to go there, but are not their first choice.

Reactions: 1 user
It's clear that Rochester has multiple categories between "interview" and "reject". Some people are retained until the end of the application season, but not rejected until the end. These people are most likely those Rochester probably deems fit to go there, but are not their first choice.

But does that mean they will be interviewing for a while yet? Even if they interview into January, when should the invites come out for those late spots for the "maybe" crowd that gets a chance?

Are they receptive to pre-interview updates?

I don't see a place on the portal to upload one

Forgot to post this, but interviewed late September, waitlist e-mail 10/29. LizzyM 75.

I think the e-mail said to let them know if I'm still interested in being considered, but I feel like I kind of don't care...
Good luck to the rest of y'all. This process is brutal but hang in there!

Forgot to post this, but interviewed late September, waitlist e-mail 10/29. LizzyM 75.

I think the e-mail said to let them know if I'm still interested in being considered, but I feel like I kind of don't care...
Good luck to the rest of y'all. This process is brutal but hang in there!
i assume you got into a better school?

i assume you got into a better school?

Well I got into UNC, and since I moved to North Carolina for undergrad (I'm from up north) I have absolutely loved it here! Rochester is obviously an amazing school, too, but UNC is cheaper and probably a better fit for me, so I can't say I'm devastated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very quiet on the II front (and no mass slaughterings either)

Accepted!! I got the call this afternoon!
Interviewed 10/9. Low numbers but really great everything else.
Can't contain my happiness!

Reactions: 5 users

Did you receive and email from them before or after the call ?

Did you receive and email from them before or after the call ?

I haven't received the email yet. She told me they would send it today and get a paper letter in the mail as well!

you mustve done very well on your interviews, congrats. are you IS or OS?

Wait listed as well. Interviewed late October.

Waitlisted as well :-/. Interviewed 10/23

So one of our PBL intructors (professors) told us that this year, the number of applications to Rochester has risen by 25% (the national average is 2%). So it's going to be more competitive than ever

Typically, 1/4 of each class gets off the waitlist. But Last year, only 3 people got off the waitlist. But these things are often cyclical

So one of our PBL intructors (professors) told us that this year, the number of applications to Rochester has risen by 25% (the national average is 2%). So it's going to be more competitive than ever

Typically, 1/4 of each class gets off the waitlist. But Last year, only 3 people got off the waitlist. But these things are often cyclical
thanks for the info. what do you mean by cyclical tho?

Accepted via phone call 11/19! Interviewed 10/2, IS.

Absolutely loved the school and its focus on the humanistic aspects of medicine. Could definitely see myself spending four years there.

Reactions: 2 users
OMG!!! II today!!! LizzyM ~71

Seriously can't believe it, seeing as I was complete 7/14. I did send in an update letter the beginning of this month, so that may have helped.

Reactions: 8 users
This is most likely a question for current students, but does anyone know how much scholarship/grant aid UofR offers to students who have an EFC = 0? In other words, after the unit loan of $25k is subtracted from the ~$69k to attend, will the school cover the rest for a student who has no support (with documentation)?

Hey errybody. II yesterday. My LizzyM is 73 I think, and my complete date was early October. There's wind in my sails again. Yeeehoooo!

Reactions: 3 users
Also: plenty of interview dates left in January and beyond!

II!!! Very happy. Thought Rochester forgot all about me. LizzyM 71 complete mid August. Sucks that I have to travel to upstate NY smack in the middle of winter, but I hope its worth it!

II!!! Very happy. Thought Rochester forgot all about me. LizzyM 71 complete mid August. Sucks that I have to travel to upstate NY smack in the middle of winter, but I hope its worth it!
Congrats!

I've been complete since early July and still nothing!

Congrats!

I've been complete since early July and still nothing!

Don't sweat it. You haven't been part of the major rejection waves, I think you should have a bright outlook on Rochester! You made it this far into the cycle without a rejection from them. Your odds are good.

Hey, for those who have interviewed, if I were to book a flight at 5:20, would I be able to make it?

Hey, for those who have interviewed, if I were to book a flight at 5:20, would I be able to make it?
Definitely! Just remember to request leaving early on the portal. My flight was around that same time and I was at the airport by 3.

I'm thinking we'll be seeing another blood bath on Monday or so- last year they had a wave of acceptances/waitlisting right before Thanksgiving (just as we've seen) and then another big wave of rejections go out on Dec. 1. Hold on tight!
Tsunami.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking we'll be seeing another blood bath on Monday or so- last year they had a wave of acceptances/waitlisting right before Thanksgiving and then a big wave of rejections go out on Dec. 1. Hold on tight!

I saw something similar in last years thread. 12/1 and 12/15 seemed like days of blood bath

I never posted on this particular thread but I'm interviewing in Dec and have a few questions.

Any advice on how the day was? Takeaways from the school? I really like the biopsychosocial aspect of the school and I do think I'm a good fit, but I'm also just a bit nervous since this is one of my few interviews so it feels do or die.

Last edited:
Coming up on 5 months of silence. I'm hoping that some of this good luck rubs off on me and I get one of these elusive IIs.

No interview yet! 31 and 3.9 and been complete since early August! Should I be worried?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never posted on this particular thread but I'm interviewing in Dec and have a few questions.

Any advice on how the day was? Takeaways from the school? I really like the biopsychosocial aspect of the school and I do think I'm a good fit, but I'm also just a bit nervous since this is one of my few interviews so it feels do or die.
the interview day is very relaxed. small number of other interviewees (i had just over a dozen other interviewees and they said that's their largest group), everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful! they post a list of the schools interviewees are coming from so don't be alarmed if some med students come through the admissions office asking who's from their alma mater! two interviews are very conversational and they only have the info you send in for your interview, not your whole file. overall a very enjoyable day. best of luck!

II this morning!!! I was complete mid-July and hadn't heard a word from this school until today so there is definitely still hope! :)

Reactions: 7 users
II this morning! Same as @eastergrab and have been complete since July without hearing a word until today ^_^ yayyyy

Reactions: 6 users
II this morning! complete mid july as well =)